Egg allergy?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just checked ahead for the next month. Nothing but 'allergies' everyday of the week. Lactose, eggs, soy, gluten, peanuts, corn. The only days we don't have allergies listed are days we don't have any guests..
are they REALLY allergies or just don't wants?

There are powdered egg substitutes you can buy and use when mixing pancake and waffle mixes, etc. Guests tell us they can't tell difference. Not cheap, so you don't want to use it except in allergy situations, but has been a godsend to us. And our egg-allergic guests LOVE it when everyone in their family gets strawberry waffles and they do too!

I just checked ahead for the next month. Nothing but 'allergies' everyday of the week. Lactose, eggs, soy, gluten, peanuts, corn. The only days we don't have allergies listed are days we don't have any guests..
EmptyNest said:
Without going to medical school I just have to take their word these are allergies. We're only asking now for food allergies. Many of these are new reservations. I should start looking at the stats for particular days and just cancel the newer reservations if we've already got too many allergies coming in.
Tonight it's in the don't want category but it's not onerous as everyone can have what we're feeding her.

boy you are one brave girl. For me it is not an easy task some times. Especially having many types in one sitting. On our web site we say if there are special ingredients we have to buy there maybe a surcharge. That cut down our guest that say we have an allergy to certain foods. Now we only get the odd few requests with allergies. Amazing eh!
Now I breath easy.

Mort, you have been definitely pushing my envelope. I have been toying with eliminating/subbing for the top 8 allergens, the top 10 disliked foods, GF and always offering a couple alternatives (for vegans or religious reasons).
I am leaning towards the pre-prepared frozen ramekins. They would be in deep freeze, and labeled "vegan" or "kosher" or "dairy free" whatever. Of course, they have to be high quality.

Mort, you have been definitely pushing my envelope. I have been toying with eliminating/subbing for the top 8 allergens, the top 10 disliked foods, GF and always offering a couple alternatives (for vegans or religious reasons).
I am leaning towards the pre-prepared frozen ramekins. They would be in deep freeze, and labeled "vegan" or "kosher" or "dairy free" whatever. Of course, they have to be high quality.
undersea said:
Mort, you have been definitely pushing my envelope.
My life goal. ;-)
Today's reservation stated: One of doesn't like eggs.
In the house is a person who doesn't want anything but eggs. I should seat them at the same table.

undersea said:
My life goal. ;-)
In the house is a person who doesn't want anything but eggs. I should seat them at the same table.
My uncle once had a (college) student along on a trip out west. The student said he only ate hot dogs, chocolate cake and something else. My uncle did not believe him, until they were on the road and found it was quite true.

undersea said:
My life goal. ;-)
My uncle once had a (college) student along on a trip out west. The student said he only ate hot dogs, chocolate cake and something else. My uncle did not believe him, until they were on the road and found it was quite true.
Chicken wings. Sounds like my nephew.

Pancakes and other baked goods can be made easily with NO eggs - substitute 2 tablespoons of water for each egg in the recipe.

Sounds like pretty soon you'll just be cooking a vegan, gluten-free breakfast for everyone.
wink_smile.gif

Sounds like pretty soon you'll just be cooking a vegan, gluten-free breakfast for everyone.
wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
That's not even funny. ;-)
We have a very good (according to guests who have tried it) substitute for pork/meat in the breakfast. Had one guest actually sneer at it and say there was no way he was eating that. Ok then. I guess they wanted turkey bacon. You know what? You gotta stay home if you can't eat outside your 'usual' rut.

wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
We have a very good (according to guests who have tried it) substitute for pork/meat in the breakfast. Had one guest actually sneer at it and say there was no way he was eating that. Ok then. I guess they wanted turkey bacon. You know what? You gotta stay home if you can't eat outside your 'usual' rut.
have you considered just doing a continental breakfast and they could just pick for themselves from what you put out or not?

wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
have you considered just doing a continental breakfast and they could just pick for themselves from what you put out or not?
EmptyNest said:
We've considered everything. BTW, just found out our 'no meat' guests pigged out on bacon and sausage with no comment at all at another place they stayed.

wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
EmptyNest said:
We've considered everything. BTW, just found out our 'no meat' guests pigged out on bacon and sausage with no comment at all at another place they stayed.
Hallelujah, they have been saved... they have seen the light and are now vegetarians.

Pancakes and other baked goods can be made easily with NO eggs - substitute 2 tablespoons of water for each egg in the recipe..
This is a good idea. My sister is allergic to eggs, and when baking from scratch growing up we just added a bit more water instead of eggs and (rule of thumb) if the recipe called for 3 eggs or less it turned out OK. 4 eggs or more was a no-go.

wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
EmptyNest said:
Hallelujah, they have been saved... they have seen the light and are now vegetarians.
Baby Puss said:
Don't even ask what happened this morning.

wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
EmptyNest said:
Baby Puss said:
They ate a whole hog. Complained about not having enough meat in their vegetarian fixings.

wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
EmptyNest said:
Baby Puss said:
They ate a whole hog. Complained about not having enough meat in their vegetarian fixings.
Did not want anything we had. One of them actually complained that they had been fed the same thing 5 days in a row. Well, you tell the innkeeper you don't eat any 'sweet' breakfast then what do you think you're going to get??? I hate being at the tail end of a 3 week vacation. People are tired. They want their own stuff around them. They want to eat 'normally' again. JUST TELL ME THAT. Don't complain you're being fed what you said you wanted.

wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
EmptyNest said:
Baby Puss said:
Did not want anything we had. One of them actually complained that they had been fed the same thing 5 days in a row. Well, you tell the innkeeper you don't eat any 'sweet' breakfast then what do you think you're going to get??? I hate being at the tail end of a 3 week vacation. People are tired. They want their own stuff around them. They want to eat 'normally' again. JUST TELL ME THAT. Don't complain you're being fed what you said you wanted.
I have a wheat, dairy, egg free next week... here's the oatmeal.

wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
EmptyNest said:
Baby Puss said:
Baby Puss said:
This is my new mantra. Here's the oatmeal. I'll go as far as here's the toast.

Back