Egg allergy?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baked oatmeal.
I recently saw a recipe for baked oatmeal in muffin cups. You add toppings after you fill the cups so you can have three with nuts, three with raisins, three with bananas or berries. Nice presentation and no eggs.

I am in bliss. Only one "no bananas" for breakfast all week long! The rest will eat anything I give them. No need to make the homemade yogurt this week...thawing out the sausages and bacon instead.
I am not gloating, only pointing out that miracles do happen to innkeepers if you stay in the business long enough!
shades_smile.gif

I am in bliss. Only one "no bananas" for breakfast all week long! The rest will eat anything I give them. No need to make the homemade yogurt this week...thawing out the sausages and bacon instead.
I am not gloating, only pointing out that miracles do happen to innkeepers if you stay in the business long enough!
shades_smile.gif
A whole week of no dairy and no eggs. Not even the same guests each day.
And yet, one room every day, sighed in delight to see whatever was put in front of them. More of these guests please.
C'est si bon.

Guest with egg allergy just left. Mentioned that the usual substitute for her was oatmeal, which she always found disappointing since she doesn't like oatmeal. I told her it was no problem. she wouldn't be getting any oatmeal while others were enjoying a thoughtful breakfast. Had her in my pocket after that!
100% buckwheat pancakes, made a single serve batch up without eggs. Easy to do while I was making the mix for everyone else, then just omit the eggs. Served with our homemade turkey sausage. Turned out great.
Next day, our Kalaekilohana continental, which includes our homemade English Muffins. Those have eggs, so our egg free option was homemade whole grain bread that we use for our evening meat, cheese, and fruit platter. Makes great toast and the recipe does not include eggs.
We didn't need it, but the tofu scramble with nutritional yeast makes a very eggy and satisfying savory item.

Follow up - kids asked for oatmeal and were quite excited to make it themselves. Next day they had the fruit starter (asking for whipped cream again, please) and boxes of colored cereal, which they don't get at home. My new bff's.
Tomorrow, and the rest of the week, using the leftover vegan butter substitute for a dairy free, gluten free guest.
Then we're done with food issues for a week or so. Until September when we have half the house with corn intolerance. No gluten, no dairy, some no eggs.

shades_smile.gif
And yet, one room every day, sighed in delight to see whatever was put in front of them. More of these guests please.
C'est si bon.
Isn't it great when your efforts to please are rewarded with smiles instead of growls? Really, that is what keeps us in this business. We forget about how tired we are, how overworked we are, how tied down we are....all for the smiles...and the tips.
wink_smile.gif

I've got 4 rooms and right now 3 of them have different dietary issues. And it's 3 days of this:
room #1 no eggs
room #2 no processed sugar
room #3 wheat allergy
This year has been really light on the dietary restrictions, but it's tough when it all comes at once.

I've got 4 rooms and right now 3 of them have different dietary issues. And it's 3 days of this:
room #1 no eggs
room #3 wheat allergy
This year has been really light on the dietary restrictions, but it's tough when it all comes at once..
WTF is a "no processed sugar" restriction. It's okay if it's covered in raw sugar, agave syrup and maple syrup, but a teaspoon of white sugar and they die?

room #1 no eggs
room #3 wheat allergy
This year has been really light on the dietary restrictions, but it's tough when it all comes at once..
WTF is a "no processed sugar" restriction. It's okay if it's covered in raw sugar, agave syrup and maple syrup, but a teaspoon of white sugar and they die?
That is what I was thinking. But there IS a sizable group of people who are into things like raw foods, unprocessed, etc.

room #1 no eggs
room #3 wheat allergy
Charlie said:
We had 'no industrial sugar' once. Could be the same thing. (ie - those fake sweeteners) Altho, all sugar is 'processed' in some way. Unless you just go drill into your maple tree or your agave plant and siphon off the sap.

shades_smile.gif
C'est si bon.
Isn't it great when your efforts to please are rewarded with smiles instead of growls? Really, that is what keeps us in this business. We forget about how tired we are, how overworked we are, how tied down we are....all for the smiles...and the tips.
wink_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
wink_smile.gif
Yes. It's lovely to have someone just enjoy the service and the food prepared for them without first handing over a laundry list of wants.

room #1 no eggs
room #3 wheat allergy
Family of 4 just polished off the entire quart of soy milk we had on hand for ALL the lactose free guests. They just took it out of the guest fridge, put it on their table, and drank the whole thing. Because it was purchased just for them, right?

room #1 no eggs
room #3 wheat allergy
Family of 4 just polished off the entire quart of soy milk we had on hand for ALL the lactose free guests. They just took it out of the guest fridge, put it on their table, and drank the whole thing. Because it was purchased just for them, right?
A quart for 4 people is not very much milk, unless it was intended. And it is possible they had something else in mind.
FWIW, I just bought a quart of soymilk at Dollar Tree for only a buck - the kind that needs no refrigeration. Amazing price...

room #1 no eggs
room #3 wheat allergy
Yes, it seems pretty ridiculous, but since it's her honeymoon I'm not pushing her. And since it's just her and not her new husband, it gives it a little more credibility. The no eggs & wheat allergy folks are all repeats and lay out a good chunk o' change here, so I just deal with it. One more breakfast to go. I'll survive. Seems like I have more patience since we got our housekeeper
wink_smile.gif
It seems that it's when we're pushed from every angle of the biz, innkeeper meltdown occurs.

room #1 no eggs
room #3 wheat allergy
Yes, it seems pretty ridiculous, but since it's her honeymoon I'm not pushing her. And since it's just her and not her new husband, it gives it a little more credibility. The no eggs & wheat allergy folks are all repeats and lay out a good chunk o' change here, so I just deal with it. One more breakfast to go. I'll survive. Seems like I have more patience since we got our housekeeper
wink_smile.gif
It seems that it's when we're pushed from every angle of the biz, innkeeper meltdown occurs.
Whole heartedly agree my worst days are right now when we're coming off 6 straight days of full house with no help and it's 90 degrees.
We're turning the air on at 6am so the dining room is cool for breakfast. If the guests have turned off the air in the rooms it's like working in a sauna.
Here's to next year finding a decent helper.

shades_smile.gif
I was thrilled when last week I had 18 for the whole weekend and not one single allergy/request. It made my weekend so much easier. The only one this week is no raisins.

Back