Feedback please

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great! Especially like the Suite Page. Blue font is better. Also, always nice to see "my" "Great Vibes" script font being used! Am thinking about redoing our site in full page mode, big pix sliders, once we get back from vacation mid-November. Any suggestions to convert from Striking?.
I am using DIVI for this one but I really like ENFOLD.
Is DIVI really copy and paste format like they advertise?
LOL...I have been trying to use it for almost a year!!! It is better now because of the most recent updates. It can do about anything...but you have to know what you are doing and especially CSS if you want to make any changes. Yes, if you stick to their basic templates, you can copy and paste in what you want...but REALLY it NEVER works that way :) You know the old saying if it sounds too good to be true?
I chat with these guys all the time on a DIVI developer FB page and they are sooooooo goood and sooooo helpful
If you want to see some info and tutorials here are a couple of links:
http://divi.chat/getting-started-using-divi-theme/
http://quiroz.co/divi-tutorials/divi-resources/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFkhv7fDpGI
These can keep you busy for a year!! Believe me it has for me!!!
Just look at this one and you will see what I mean: http://divi.tutsdirectory.com/listing/wordpress-cheat-sheet/ Though this is advanced for me and I don't do much of this kind of customizing...My brain can't wrap around this kind of stuff:-(

Make the cancellation 'Policies' clickable on the reservations page or include on the reservations page. The policy is on the Suite page, but not on reservations page. I completely missed it the first time I went through the site. When I proceeded to read through the reservations the last thing is to agree to the policies, but I hadn't seen them previously.
I have read the _____ B & B Policies and agree to abide by them.

Yes I mean navigation menu.
I have a website that the words in the navigation menu sometimes get lost in the images behind them and I wonder if I should go back to buttons or backgrounds..
I darkened up the background a bit I really don't want buttons for this menu
Yes. More 'pop'
Anon Inn said:
Yes. More 'pop'
HUH??? Like what? I am basically done now and the client has been given instructions and he is doing stuff on his own now.

Make the cancellation 'Policies' clickable on the reservations page or include on the reservations page. The policy is on the Suite page, but not on reservations page. I completely missed it the first time I went through the site. When I proceeded to read through the reservations the last thing is to agree to the policies, but I hadn't seen them previously.
I have read the _____ B & B Policies and agree to abide by them..
Thanks Better to have it in both places...that way it saves them from clicking to go to another page.

I have read the _____ B & B Policies and agree to abide by them..
Oh yes, much more usable, and the layout is great too. :)

Yes I mean navigation menu.
I have a website that the words in the navigation menu sometimes get lost in the images behind them and I wonder if I should go back to buttons or backgrounds..
I darkened up the background a bit I really don't want buttons for this menu
Yes. More 'pop'
Anon Inn said:
Yes. More 'pop'
HUH??? Like what? I am basically done now and the client has been given instructions and he is doing stuff on his own now.
Sorry, just saw this, I meant yes, it has more pop, as in looks better after the changes. :)

I'd take a look at Google PageSpeed Insights' recommendations . Most of your pages rank in the low 20-30's out of a 100 score. For example your homepage scores a 20/100 on mobile and 23/100 on desktop. You can boost that score pretty easily by optimizing the large images using a low loss compression Wordpress plugin like EWWW or WP Smush.
https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https%3A%2F%2Friverdellbb.com%2F&tab=mobile
This is more important than ever because Google announced that page speed is now a significant ranking factor and can lead to high user bounce / abandonment rates who have become accustomed to the new instant loading AMP mobile pages:
http://searchengineland.com/google-says-page-speed-ranking-factor-use-mobile-page-speed-mobile-sites-upcoming-months-250874

On the technical side of things, I'd take a look at Google's PageSpeed Insights recommendations for each page. It looks like most of the pages score in the low 20-30's out of 100, with your homepage scoring a 20/100 on mobile and a 23/100 on desktop. You would see a huge jump in PageSpeed simply by optimizing the images with a lossless image compression tool. A wordpress plugin like EWWW or WPSmush should do the trick.
https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/
As you probably know PageSpeed is important more than ever now with Google recently announcing that Page Speed will be a significant ranking factor for their mobile organic search results. Also slower loading pages increase your bounce / abandonment rate as users are starting to become accustomed to lightning fast AMP pages.
http://searchengineland.com/google-says-page-speed-ranking-factor-use-mobile-page-speed-mobile-sites-upcoming-months-250874

Hey Empty Nest, since you helped me out on my site I wanted to lend the same courtesy for your client's site! :)
1) On the homepage, your top banner image seems to be cut off extremely short? It looks like there should be a beautiful large picture of the river there.
home.JPG

2) Is the house actually riverfront? Where is this beautiful river that is referenced everywhere on your site in relation to the house? As a prospective guest I would have a hard time knowing if the river is in the backyard, across the road, 10 minute walk away, across town, etc? Maybe take a picture showing how close the house is to the river or a better explanation since that seems to be the main selling point of this property but I had a hard time understanding exactly what to expect.
3) On the Suite page you have an amazing photo of the room in the top header. However when I scroll down to the Suite photo gallery there's not really an appealing picture of the "bedroom", the bed is cut off in all the pictures. I would put the same photo that you have in the header in the photo gallery because as a guest I would scroll right past the header so I can get to the content of the page and then once I get all the way to the bottom of the page to the suite photo gallery I would be expecting as good of a picture as you have in the header. Wouldn't hurt to also link to the Gallery page so they can see a photo gallery of the rest of the inn.
4) On the Reservations page, the form is laid out inconsistently which doesn't provide the best user experience and can be confusing. For the address, city, state, zip code, etc fields you have the labels of what to input directly above the field which is easy to use. However for some reason the name, email address, and phone number fields do not have the same label of what to input. Instead when I click on a field the label disappears so I became confused as to what I was supposed to input.
Also most of the fields have a red asterisk next to them which everyone knows means is required. However the name, email address, and phone number fields do not have a red asterisk by them so a guest may assume they are not required.
form.JPG

5) You also have a spot where I can select that I have 3 guests but I can only input 2 guest names, does the third guest's name not matter?
6) What if I am staying at the B&B with just myself (no guests) for business or just a solo traveler? You have made the Guest 2's name required to be entered, when guests might not have a second name to enter.
guest2.JPG

7) Another issue I can foresee with the reservation form is that you have a note added "If date is blocked in red the suite is not available." However when I choose my arrival date and departure date in the form there are no dates in red or green. I know you were referring to the other calendar at the top of the page but a guest may not realize that and instead think the date they selected is available only to be let down when they are informed it actually wasn't available.
calendaravail.JPG

8 ) Yet another issue you may run in to with the reservation form is once guests are done inputting all of their information, the button that stands out most is the bright yellow paypal Pay Now button. If I was a guest that is the button I would click on, I would probably accidentally skip right over the very small and white "Make a Reservation" button and click on the bright visible Pay Now button instead. When a guest clicks on the Pay Now button, none of the information they inputted on the reservation form is saved, it's all lost because they were supposed to click on the make a reservation button.
What I would suggest is remove the Pay Now button from this reservation page...and instead create a form received thank you / confirmation page that they would see after submitting the reservation form. This thank you page would then have the Pay Now button and directions to pay. Guests like multiple steps with clear and easy to follow directions, by combining it all into one page it's a little confusing.
paynow.JPG

9) In the footer of every page you have the availability calendar but no call to action below it. I would suggest adding a Make a Reservation button below the calendar, because if a guest is looking through that calendar they probably want to make a reservation but there's no easy or clear way for them to do it in that area. Since it's right next to the contact information, I might be inclined to think that the Inn doesn't offer online reservations and instead I have to call.
footer.JPG

10) On the mobile site you have a dark background with the text "Select Page". When I click on "Select Page" or anywhere else in the shaded menu background area it acts like it's going to do something but the menu doesn't actually open. The menu only opens when I click on the three little hamburger line icons. I'm guessing this will confuse quite a few guests.
mobile%20menu.JPG

11) Once I opened the mobile menu I realized there was no way to close the menu. On most mobile websites there is either a close button or you can click somewhere else on the page and the menu will close. Instead I was stuck in the menu until I chose a menu item. There's a reason every other mobile site offers the ability to exit the menu.
menuclose.JPG

12) Do the Innkeepers actually plan on posting regular content to the blog? I've found that blogs often get forgotten about and then when guests visit the website it looks like the site hasn't been updated for 4 years and leaves guests wondering if the B&B is still in business. If they don't plan on updating a few times a year, I would suggest removing this from the menu.
13) If you plan on keeping the blog....there is no header image, only a very light blue background which makes the white navigation menu links very hard to read.
blogheader.JPG

14) When I share the website's homepage on Facebook, Twitter, etc (which you can only hope guests will do) the preview box is showing a big user icon instead of a nice picture of the bed and breakfast. This is a simple fix by using the Yoast SEO plugin and going to the social media tab. It's a quick fix that will generate much more traffic when your links are shared on Facebook, after all which one below would you rather click on?
fb.JPG
fb2.JPG

15) On the contact page the only thing that is featured is a big contact form? I know you have your phone number and address in the footer but I would make it as easy as possible for guests to contact you by clearly giving them as many options as possible. When guests go to a contact us page they expect to see your address, phone number, map, and a contact form. Users tend to glance right over the footer of sites so I would add the contact info more conspicuously to the body of the contact us page.
contact.JPG

17) It looks like the site is creating a blank attachment for every single image and they are listed in google. Take a look at this page as an example: https://riverdellbb.com/shopping/
You of course don't want people landing on this page because it has no info and will have a high bounce rate but could eventually rank very high in Google's organic search result. Your site has dozens of pages just like this - one for every image.
Here's a how-to on Wordpress Beginner.com on how to keep this from happening by using the Yoast SEO plugin:
http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-disable-image-attachment-pages-in-wordpress/
Hopefully this was helpful! I tried not to be too nit-picky and just looked at things from the viewpoint of if I was a guest wanting to stay at this Inn. It's a nice simple site and with these few tweaks to improve the user experience I'm sure it will result in more bookings / a less confusing experience.

Hey Empty Nest, since you helped me out on my site I wanted to lend the same courtesy for your client's site! :)
1) On the homepage, your top banner image seems to be cut off extremely short? It looks like there should be a beautiful large picture of the river there.
home.JPG

2) Is the house actually riverfront? Where is this beautiful river that is referenced everywhere on your site in relation to the house? As a prospective guest I would have a hard time knowing if the river is in the backyard, across the road, 10 minute walk away, across town, etc? Maybe take a picture showing how close the house is to the river or a better explanation since that seems to be the main selling point of this property but I had a hard time understanding exactly what to expect.
3) On the Suite page you have an amazing photo of the room in the top header. However when I scroll down to the Suite photo gallery there's not really an appealing picture of the "bedroom", the bed is cut off in all the pictures. I would put the same photo that you have in the header in the photo gallery because as a guest I would scroll right past the header so I can get to the content of the page and then once I get all the way to the bottom of the page to the suite photo gallery I would be expecting as good of a picture as you have in the header. Wouldn't hurt to also link to the Gallery page so they can see a photo gallery of the rest of the inn.
4) On the Reservations page, the form is laid out inconsistently which doesn't provide the best user experience and can be confusing. For the address, city, state, zip code, etc fields you have the labels of what to input directly above the field which is easy to use. However for some reason the name, email address, and phone number fields do not have the same label of what to input. Instead when I click on a field the label disappears so I became confused as to what I was supposed to input.
Also most of the fields have a red asterisk next to them which everyone knows means is required. However the name, email address, and phone number fields do not have a red asterisk by them so a guest may assume they are not required.
form.JPG

5) You also have a spot where I can select that I have 3 guests but I can only input 2 guest names, does the third guest's name not matter?
6) What if I am staying at the B&B with just myself (no guests) for business or just a solo traveler? You have made the Guest 2's name required to be entered, when guests might not have a second name to enter.
guest2.JPG

7) Another issue I can foresee with the reservation form is that you have a note added "If date is blocked in red the suite is not available." However when I choose my arrival date and departure date in the form there are no dates in red or green. I know you were referring to the other calendar at the top of the page but a guest may not realize that and instead think the date they selected is available only to be let down when they are informed it actually wasn't available.
calendaravail.JPG

8 ) Yet another issue you may run in to with the reservation form is once guests are done inputting all of their information, the button that stands out most is the bright yellow paypal Pay Now button. If I was a guest that is the button I would click on, I would probably accidentally skip right over the very small and white "Make a Reservation" button and click on the bright visible Pay Now button instead. When a guest clicks on the Pay Now button, none of the information they inputted on the reservation form is saved, it's all lost because they were supposed to click on the make a reservation button.
What I would suggest is remove the Pay Now button from this reservation page...and instead create a form received thank you / confirmation page that they would see after submitting the reservation form. This thank you page would then have the Pay Now button and directions to pay. Guests like multiple steps with clear and easy to follow directions, by combining it all into one page it's a little confusing.
paynow.JPG

9) In the footer of every page you have the availability calendar but no call to action below it. I would suggest adding a Make a Reservation button below the calendar, because if a guest is looking through that calendar they probably want to make a reservation but there's no easy or clear way for them to do it in that area. Since it's right next to the contact information, I might be inclined to think that the Inn doesn't offer online reservations and instead I have to call.
footer.JPG

10) On the mobile site you have a dark background with the text "Select Page". When I click on "Select Page" or anywhere else in the shaded menu background area it acts like it's going to do something but the menu doesn't actually open. The menu only opens when I click on the three little hamburger line icons. I'm guessing this will confuse quite a few guests.
mobile%20menu.JPG

11) Once I opened the mobile menu I realized there was no way to close the menu. On most mobile websites there is either a close button or you can click somewhere else on the page and the menu will close. Instead I was stuck in the menu until I chose a menu item. There's a reason every other mobile site offers the ability to exit the menu.
menuclose.JPG

12) Do the Innkeepers actually plan on posting regular content to the blog? I've found that blogs often get forgotten about and then when guests visit the website it looks like the site hasn't been updated for 4 years and leaves guests wondering if the B&B is still in business. If they don't plan on updating a few times a year, I would suggest removing this from the menu.
13) If you plan on keeping the blog....there is no header image, only a very light blue background which makes the white navigation menu links very hard to read.
blogheader.JPG

14) When I share the website's homepage on Facebook, Twitter, etc (which you can only hope guests will do) the preview box is showing a big user icon instead of a nice picture of the bed and breakfast. This is a simple fix by using the Yoast SEO plugin and going to the social media tab. It's a quick fix that will generate much more traffic when your links are shared on Facebook, after all which one below would you rather click on?
fb.JPG
fb2.JPG

15) On the contact page the only thing that is featured is a big contact form? I know you have your phone number and address in the footer but I would make it as easy as possible for guests to contact you by clearly giving them as many options as possible. When guests go to a contact us page they expect to see your address, phone number, map, and a contact form. Users tend to glance right over the footer of sites so I would add the contact info more conspicuously to the body of the contact us page.
contact.JPG

17) It looks like the site is creating a blank attachment for every single image and they are listed in google. Take a look at this page as an example: https://riverdellbb.com/shopping/
You of course don't want people landing on this page because it has no info and will have a high bounce rate but could eventually rank very high in Google's organic search result. Your site has dozens of pages just like this - one for every image.
Here's a how-to on Wordpress Beginner.com on how to keep this from happening by using the Yoast SEO plugin:
http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-disable-image-attachment-pages-in-wordpress/
Hopefully this was helpful! I tried not to be too nit-picky and just looked at things from the viewpoint of if I was a guest wanting to stay at this Inn. It's a nice simple site and with these few tweaks to improve the user experience I'm sure it will result in more bookings / a less confusing experience..
himelhochbb said:
home.JPG

form.JPG

guest2.JPG

calendaravail.JPG

paynow.JPG

footer.JPG

mobile%20menu.JPG

menuclose.JPG

blogheader.JPG

fb.JPG
fb2.JPG

contact.JPG

Hopefully this was helpful! I tried not to be too nit-picky and just looked at things from the viewpoint of if I was a guest wanting to stay at this Inn. It's a nice simple site and with these few tweaks to improve the user experience I'm sure it will result in more bookings / a less confusing experience.
Anything else?

home.JPG

form.JPG

guest2.JPG

calendaravail.JPG

paynow.JPG

footer.JPG

mobile%20menu.JPG

menuclose.JPG

blogheader.JPG

fb.JPG
fb2.JPG

contact.JPG

Hopefully this was helpful! I tried not to be too nit-picky and just looked at things from the viewpoint of if I was a guest wanting to stay at this Inn. It's a nice simple site and with these few tweaks to improve the user experience I'm sure it will result in more bookings / a less confusing experience..
himelhochbb said:
home.JPG

form.JPG

guest2.JPG

calendaravail.JPG

paynow.JPG

footer.JPG

mobile%20menu.JPG

menuclose.JPG

blogheader.JPG

fb.JPG
fb2.JPG

contact.JPG

Anything else?
Not that I can think of :)
It might seem like a lot but most of it is related to the reservation form and for someone as experienced with Wordpress as Empty Nest is, it shouldn't take more than an hour or so to make the changes real quick. None of it was things that were done wrong, they were just little quirks that you really wouldn't think about until a random scenario happens, like a single person trying to book a room. Better to find out about them now than wait until it prevents a real world guest from booking!

home.JPG

form.JPG

guest2.JPG

calendaravail.JPG

paynow.JPG

footer.JPG

mobile%20menu.JPG

menuclose.JPG

blogheader.JPG

fb.JPG
fb2.JPG

contact.JPG

Well..guess what.... something has screwed up this site royallly. Must be a plugin that i updated. Have no clue what happened to my home page since yesterday.
I will be fixing that..as for the rest.... For the very little I was paid for it...he gets what he gets...I went with the them and it is a basic site that works just fine for him. They like it just fine.

home.JPG

form.JPG

guest2.JPG

calendaravail.JPG

paynow.JPG

footer.JPG

mobile%20menu.JPG

menuclose.JPG

blogheader.JPG

fb.JPG
fb2.JPG

contact.JPG

Well..guess what.... something has screwed up this site royallly. Must be a plugin that i updated. Have no clue what happened to my home page since yesterday.
I will be fixing that..as for the rest.... For the very little I was paid for it...he gets what he gets...I went with the them and it is a basic site that works just fine for him. They like it just fine.
Yeah it's always a pain when a plugin, theme, or wordpress update causes something to break! Sorry for creating a little bit more work for you, that's what happens when you ask for feedback I guess. lol :) I'd still consider at least fixing some of the quick form issues for him though so it doesn't hinder guests ability to submit a reservation, the main purpose of the site.
How do you like the Divi theme? How does it compare to themes with the Visual Composer page builder?

I just had my wedding site go totally white screen after I did plug in updates this morning. The culprete was W3 Total Cache. Had to delete the plug in.

home.JPG

form.JPG

guest2.JPG

calendaravail.JPG

paynow.JPG

footer.JPG

mobile%20menu.JPG

menuclose.JPG

blogheader.JPG

fb.JPG
fb2.JPG

contact.JPG

Yeah it's always a pain when a plugin, theme, or wordpress update causes something to break! Sorry for creating a little bit more work for you, that's what happens when you ask for feedback I guess. lol :) I'd still consider at least fixing some of the quick form issues for him though so it doesn't hinder guests ability to submit a reservation, the main purpose of the site.
How do you like the Divi theme? How does it compare to themes with the Visual Composer page builder?
So I managed to fix most of the stuff. The least I could do except I am not bothering with those attachment links. I don't use Yoast as too many developers have told me not to. The mobile menu well that is a theme issue and I am not doing any more custom coding without pay so they will just have to take what they got :) Thanks

home.JPG

form.JPG

guest2.JPG

calendaravail.JPG

paynow.JPG

footer.JPG

mobile%20menu.JPG

menuclose.JPG

blogheader.JPG

fb.JPG
fb2.JPG

contact.JPG

So I managed to fix most of the stuff. The least I could do except I am not bothering with those attachment links. I don't use Yoast as too many developers have told me not to. The mobile menu well that is a theme issue and I am not doing any more custom coding without pay so they will just have to take what they got :) Thanks
Awesome - you're welcome, I'm glad I could help!
That's odd that developers would steer someone away from Yoast, it's literally the #1 wordpress plugin and used on millions of sites with no issues. I'd recommend checking it out on the next site you do :)

home.JPG

form.JPG

guest2.JPG

calendaravail.JPG

paynow.JPG

footer.JPG

mobile%20menu.JPG

menuclose.JPG

blogheader.JPG

fb.JPG
fb2.JPG

contact.JPG

Awesome - you're welcome, I'm glad I could help!
That's odd that developers would steer someone away from Yoast, it's literally the #1 wordpress plugin and used on millions of sites with no issues. I'd recommend checking it out on the next site you do :)
Nope I am sold on ALL IN ONE SEO. I just like it better.

Very New to B&B industry. Inherited an old website so have just re-launched it. Still loading better images.
www.kaulbachhouse.com
I have a short window still to do some tweaks on the layout. Most of the content is changeable from the admin.
What still needs improving?

Very New to B&B industry. Inherited an old website so have just re-launched it. Still loading better images.
www.kaulbachhouse.com
I have a short window still to do some tweaks on the layout. Most of the content is changeable from the admin.
What still needs improving?.
Perhaps you'd like to take a moment to introduce yourself. You're asking an awful lot from people who don't know what your goal is or if you're just looking for free information that you'll then get paid for providing.
Are you the owner? The web designer? Who are you? Don't need a specific name, just more info.

Back