Food Costs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re-cost of juice. This is a cheap and good juice recipe. My kids were raised on it as straight orange juice was too expensive then and still is. Breakfast drink: 1- 12 oz. frozen can orange juice--thawed. 1- 12 oz. frozen can lemonade--thawed, and one package cool aid, any flavor but grape. Put in gallon jug or 4 liter jug and fill with water. Can add one-half cup sugar but I never do. Not sure how much that is per serving but it goes a long way. Guests often ask for the recipe. It is not bad with vodka either.
charlie may said:
Re-cost of juice. This is a cheap and good juice recipe. My kids were raised on it as straight orange juice was too expensive then and still is. Breakfast drink: 1- 12 oz. frozen can orange juice--thawed. 1- 12 oz. frozen can lemonade--thawed, and one package cool aid, any flavor but grape. Put in gallon jug or 4 liter jug and fill with water. Can add one-half cup sugar but I never do. Not sure how much that is per serving but it goes a long way. Guests often ask for the recipe. It is not bad with vodka either.
I thought about the not premium wondering if guests could tell the difference - then one morning I overheard a guest exclaim to her breakfast companions - "It's real orange juice." I have never wavered since. What was good enough for my kids (6 of them) is not good enough for guests who are paying for their breakfast as part of the room rate.
Did you see this story?
http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2014-2015/orange-juice-juicy-secrets
I got a message - this content is unavailable

for us we cook to order ie had 2 chaps in for 5 nights just had 2 poached eggs on toast per day costs about $1 however everyone on the weekend had a full English - costs about $10 if they have everything ie cooked + cereal so it varies per guest and per day.

charlie may said:
I thought about the not premium wondering if guests could tell the difference - then one morning I overheard a guest exclaim to her breakfast companions - "It's real orange juice." I have never wavered since. What was good enough for my kids (6 of them) is not good enough for guests who are paying for their breakfast as part of the room rate.
Did you see this story?
Yes, will never ever drink orange juice unless I make it fresh
April said:
fresh squeezed?

charlie may said:
Did you see this story?
We are not fans of OJ. Never drink it. 100% Juice: Pomegranate / Cranberry my drink of choice

charlie may said:
Did you see this story?
I think you might get the same content in print here:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/orange-juice-is-premium-juice-actually-more-natural-1.2902004

charlie may said:
Did you see this story?
I am happy for those who can do that - nut most of the world does not have a climate that supports orange trees in the back or even front yard. The cost of ranges makes squeezing OJ for breakfast out of the question. I am not going to be a total purist to the point of my wallet being empty. I do the best I can. That carton which is supposed to meet the wonderful government guidelines of truth in advertising - says 100% juice so I will have to believe it. The non-citric juices I serve also say 100% juice but at over $6 per quart the pomegranate juice is not going to be there - but I do serve pomegranate blend and cranberry blends like cranberry-blueberry and blueberry-pomegranate since they are under $5 per quart. Many of the Just ____ such as black current or black cherry, etc are stronger and not as liked, by my guests anyway, and all are above my budget.
I serve juices they would probably not have at home in an attempt to set me apart and show value. Hence grape juice and apple juice are not in the mix. I have discovered I am the most expensive lodging in my immediate area - and I like that. It has taken me 20 years to get there.

charlie may said:
Did you see this story?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/orange-juice-is-premium-juice-actually-more-natural-1.2902004
My OJ brand was not named so I can only hope they are a bit better. I use Florida's Natural. Thank you for the print version.

charlie may said:
Did you see this story?
My OJ brand was not named so I can only hope they are a bit better. I use Florida's Natural. Thank you for the print version.
Basically, all the brands are adulterated by a perfumier and that even if it says "not-from-concentrate" it's still adulterated. They separate the oil from the liquid, so there is no advantage to "not-from-concentrate" over concentrate in the end. Because the manufacturers want it to be the same all year round when the oranges aren't naturally the same all year round.

charlie may said:
Did you see this story?
Basically, all the brands are adulterated by a perfumier and that even if it says "not-from-concentrate" it's still adulterated. They separate the oil from the liquid, so there is no advantage to "not-from-concentrate" over concentrate in the end. Because the manufacturers want it to be the same all year round when the oranges aren't naturally the same all year round.
Jon Sable said:
wow

charlie may said:
Did you see this story?
Jon Sable said:
wow
See http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/orange-juice-is-premium-juice-actually-more-natural-1.2902004
I didn't realize that video wouldn't be available for you guys :)

charlie may said:
Did you see this story?
I started with the 'premium' product, but when I ran out had to use house brand concentrate. Taste test: way better, haven't looked back. (and because distance to shopping is so far, I always keep some frozen concentrate for just-in-case.)

charlie may said:
Did you see this story?
I am happy for those who can do that - nut most of the world does not have a climate that supports orange trees in the back or even front yard. The cost of ranges makes squeezing OJ for breakfast out of the question. I am not going to be a total purist to the point of my wallet being empty. I do the best I can. That carton which is supposed to meet the wonderful government guidelines of truth in advertising - says 100% juice so I will have to believe it. The non-citric juices I serve also say 100% juice but at over $6 per quart the pomegranate juice is not going to be there - but I do serve pomegranate blend and cranberry blends like cranberry-blueberry and blueberry-pomegranate since they are under $5 per quart. Many of the Just ____ such as black current or black cherry, etc are stronger and not as liked, by my guests anyway, and all are above my budget.
I serve juices they would probably not have at home in an attempt to set me apart and show value. Hence grape juice and apple juice are not in the mix. I have discovered I am the most expensive lodging in my immediate area - and I like that. It has taken me 20 years to get there.
Gillum wrote:
"I have discovered I am the most expensive lodging in my immediate area - and I like that"
thumbs_up.gif

charlie may said:
Did you see this story?
I started with the 'premium' product, but when I ran out had to use house brand concentrate. Taste test: way better, haven't looked back. (and because distance to shopping is so far, I always keep some frozen concentrate for just-in-case.)
We switched to the CostClub's FC but they recently moved to a named brand. Their own was better. But then again they also changed the size of the toilet paper to US size and it no longer fits on the dispensers.

charlie may said:
Did you see this story?
We switched to the CostClub's FC but they recently moved to a named brand. Their own was better. But then again they also changed the size of the toilet paper to US size and it no longer fits on the dispensers.
Jon Sable said:
But then again they also changed the size of the toilet paper to US size and it no longer fits on the dispensers.
They aren't a standard size for the U.S. either. I hate it since they changed the rolls.

charlie may said:
Did you see this story?
Jon Sable said:
But then again they also changed the size of the toilet paper to US size and it no longer fits on the dispensers.
They aren't a standard size for the U.S. either. I hate it since they changed the rolls.
Our rolls are generally about 10cm x 10cm (4"x4"). But now it's 4.5"x4" and they don't fit properly!

charlie may said:
Did you see this story?
April said:
fresh squeezed?
One of our PO's tricks she shared with us.
Squeeze one orange into store bought orange juice. Makes it taste like fresh.

charlie may said:
Did you see this story?
April said:
fresh squeezed?
TheBeachHouse said:
I saw the orange hanging on the edge of the orange juice glass recently on one of the food network shows that I thought was a great idea, and have no idea why I don't do that!
Thanks for reminding me. Like this (or whatever shape glass you use):
orange%20juice%20with%20orange%20on%20glass.jpg

orange%20juice%20with%20orange%20round%20on%20glass.jpg

or go even more frugal (for those who want to keep the costs super low) and do this (which I actually like better btw):
orange%20juice%20with%20orange%20piece%20on%20glass.jpg

charlie may said:
Did you see this story?
April said:
fresh squeezed?
TheBeachHouse said:
I saw the orange hanging on the edge of the orange juice glass recently on one of the food network shows that I thought was a great idea, and have no idea why I don't do that!

or go even more frugal (for those who want to keep the costs super low) and do this (which I actually like better btw):

I love oranges as garnish. Fresh and pretty.

charlie may said:
Did you see this story?
April said:
fresh squeezed?
I keep thinking about that but have never done it. Does it really make a difference?
No way I can squeeze fresh juice each morning even tho I know other inns the same size as mine do.

charlie may said:
Did you see this story?
April said:
fresh squeezed?
TheBeachHouse said:

TheBeachHouse said:
You can tell who's read those articles about fruit garnishes and germs. The orange slices are on the table or on the empty starter plate when I clear the table.
We still do the orange twist on the plate. I want to say we washed the orange first, washed our hands, kept everything clean from start to plate, but what the heck.

Back