Have you been able to sign up for health care?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DH tried for several days just when the site went up and after finding out that our group plan's premiums were going to be over 2,000 a mth. He finally got through only to be informed he had to wait til January as we did not qualify during this time. Odd - I thought this was for everyone.

DH tried for several days just when the site went up and after finding out that our group plan's premiums were going to be over 2,000 a mth. He finally got through only to be informed he had to wait til January as we did not qualify during this time. Odd - I thought this was for everyone..
copperhead said:
He finally got through only to be informed he had to wait til January as we did not qualify during this time. Odd - I thought this was for everyone.
I think it is for everybody. There must be some mistake. He might not be eligible for subsidies to help pay for it, but should be eligible to sign up and pay on his own.

DH tried for several days just when the site went up and after finding out that our group plan's premiums were going to be over 2,000 a mth. He finally got through only to be informed he had to wait til January as we did not qualify during this time. Odd - I thought this was for everyone..
copperhead said:
He finally got through only to be informed he had to wait til January as we did not qualify during this time. Odd - I thought this was for everyone.
I think it is for everybody. There must be some mistake. He might not be eligible for subsidies to help pay for it, but should be eligible to sign up and pay on his own.
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
I believe he did say not eligible fore subsidies but it booted him off stating he had to wait til Jan to sign up. Maybe another glitch in the system but that is what he got after days of trying.

this is probably a bit political but one of the things that has always baffled me about the USA - it is supposed to be the land of free enterprise where people are encouraged to set up on their own etc yet your heath insurance system seems the biggest disincentive to doing so I have every seen - at least I know even if we lost everything and didn't have a dime we would still get health care no matter what, and I frankly pay very little for what we get.

copperhead said:
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
I believe he did say not eligible fore subsidies but it booted him off stating he had to wait til Jan to sign up. Maybe another glitch in the system but that is what he got after days of trying.
copperhead said:
Keep trying! In my case it's saving me over $4000/year! It's at least worth checking.
Also, at the website I believe there is now a "shopping" option under the information section that lets you look at what your plan and cost options are, without having to first register and enter all your info.

I haven't tried the site. Since we're in such a small place, I'll go to one of the 'navigators' at our county health dept. I had to get my last year's taxes done - partly to show income in order to qualify for whatever subsidy might be available. But first, there are some other things to work on. Hope to get signed up by Dec 15.

copperhead said:
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
copperhead said:
Keep trying! In my case it's saving me over $4000/year! It's at least worth checking.
Also, at the website I believe there is now a "shopping" option under the information section that lets you look at what your plan and cost options are, without having to first register and enter all your info.
I'm going to try a different computer. Dopey as that sounds. I tried on IE yesterday but the 'log in' button and the 'select your state' buttons were both missing on my version of IE.
Got bumped off twice this morning. I may just call.

Does anyone else plan to just pay the fine? That's my plan. I have no interest in this. I'm not saying I'm invincible and I do realize anything can happen - at any time. But I haven' t had health care insurance in ten years. I've been to the Dr maybe three times in those ten years, only to get my thyroid rechecked...a very minimal expense. I just have no desire to pay probably $250-300 a month (for just me...although I'm guessing ~ I have no idea how much it will cost) for the rare times I need to see a Dr. I'll take my chances..
LOL, I've been without coverage unless my work had it as a benefit, and I was covered for years. I'm one of those -knock on wood- healthy people who can count one one hand doctor visits, but I was so glad to have family coverage because without it we would have had hard times indeed. I intend to sign up ASAP as luck doesn't always hold, and as we all know here, Murphy has a way of walking in without knocking.

copperhead said:
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
copperhead said:
I'm going to try a different computer. Dopey as that sounds. I tried on IE yesterday but the 'log in' button and the 'select your state' buttons were both missing on my version of IE.
Am not having any problems getting on site today. And MCHO already has our info, paid the premium today. We are going to save $5280 in premiums per year even with choosing the Gold plan, our total deductible is $1950 a year less ($1300), and coverage is at 80% until deductible is met. After Poppa's emergency gall bladder surgery bill of 20K last spring, we feel a sigh of affordable relief as self-employees.

Does anyone else plan to just pay the fine? That's my plan. I have no interest in this. I'm not saying I'm invincible and I do realize anything can happen - at any time. But I haven' t had health care insurance in ten years. I've been to the Dr maybe three times in those ten years, only to get my thyroid rechecked...a very minimal expense. I just have no desire to pay probably $250-300 a month (for just me...although I'm guessing ~ I have no idea how much it will cost) for the rare times I need to see a Dr. I'll take my chances..
LOL, I've been without coverage unless my work had it as a benefit, and I was covered for years. I'm one of those -knock on wood- healthy people who can count one one hand doctor visits, but I was so glad to have family coverage because without it we would have had hard times indeed. I intend to sign up ASAP as luck doesn't always hold, and as we all know here, Murphy has a way of walking in without knocking.
I would as this is how my mother had her stroke - never got sick never went to the doctors, if she had then they would have caught the fact her heart wasn't beating properly which was thickening her blood, her blood pressure was sky high and cholesterol was also through the roof.

copperhead said:
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
copperhead said:
Am not having any problems getting on site today. And MCHO already has our info, paid the premium today. We are going to save $5280 in premiums per year even with choosing the Gold plan, our total deductible is $1950 a year less ($1300), and coverage is at 80% until deductible is met. After Poppa's emergency gall bladder surgery bill of 20K last spring, we feel a sigh of affordable relief as self-employees.
Momma Smurf said:
After Poppa's emergency gall bladder surgery bill of 20K last spring, we feel a sigh of affordable relief as self-employees.
Not sure if the cost you gave was before or after Ins. but our soon to be DIL had the same issue this past spring, her total bill - over 40k. That is an amazing difference.

copperhead said:
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
copperhead said:
Will do Arkie, thanks.

copperhead said:
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
copperhead said:
Momma Smurf said:
After Poppa's emergency gall bladder surgery bill of 20K last spring, we feel a sigh of affordable relief as self-employees.
Not sure if the cost you gave was before or after Ins. but our soon to be DIL had the same issue this past spring, her total bill - over 40k. That is an amazing difference.
Total Bill cost was $20K ... just saying, one never knows, and without a good insurance plan we'd have been stuck. Not gambling here.

this is probably a bit political but one of the things that has always baffled me about the USA - it is supposed to be the land of free enterprise where people are encouraged to set up on their own etc yet your heath insurance system seems the biggest disincentive to doing so I have every seen - at least I know even if we lost everything and didn't have a dime we would still get health care no matter what, and I frankly pay very little for what we get.
[/quote
There are two things getting smushed into one when they are separate issues.
Health care - NO mot-for-profit hospital could not can refuse to provide health CARE to anyone. THIS is why many hospitals have had to close their doors - too many non-paying patients nd the reimbursements from the government did not meet the costs.
Health Insurance - This is the issue many have had a problem with (us included) with pre-existing conditions, etc. Getting a policy to Pay for health CARE one could afford has been the problem, not getting health care. INSURANCE was the problem.

[/quote
Health care - NO mot-for-profit hospital could not can refuse to provide health CARE to anyone. THIS is why many hospitals have had to close their doors - too many non-paying patients nd the reimbursements from the government did not meet the costs.
Health Insurance - This is the issue many have had a problem with (us included) with pre-existing conditions, etc. Getting a policy to Pay for health CARE one could afford has been the problem, not getting health care. INSURANCE was the problem.
see this is the difference - my dad just had kidney stones done - cost £0
Followed this up with a prostate operation - cost £0
Has diabetes, high blood pressure - cost of prescriptions because he is retired is £0
My mum - 1 big stroke 2 little ones - cost of emergency care and ongoing treatment - £0
what they would have to pay in the USA would probably mean one of us mortgaging our house.

[/quote
see this is the difference - my dad just had kidney stones done - cost £0
Followed this up with a prostate operation - cost £0
Has diabetes, high blood pressure - cost of prescriptions because he is retired is £0
My mum - 1 big stroke 2 little ones - cost of emergency care and ongoing treatment - £0
what they would have to pay in the USA would probably mean one of us mortgaging our house.
DH has supplemental insurance that pays whatever the Medicate did not pay for doctor and hospital. We have been forced to pay for one of his meds because the Medicare meds section will not pay for brand name once it goes to a generic version. The generic version does not work for him and the Doc has stated that to no avail. We have had a couple hospital bills for "not covered" (and I m not talking phone nor TV charges) but the hospital let us do payments. As long as you pay something, they cannot go to collections nor ding your credit.
DH has had: mild heart attack, aortic aneurysm, 6-way bypass followed by a month of rehab, a femoral artery bypass, and radium seeds implants plus a couple of overnights due to scares or tests. Before he was put on Medicare we did not have insurance and it was not until I started drawing my pension from the company I worked for that we had the supplemental. But he was NEVER refused treatment (health care).

Please stop.
Yes please I agree. This is going on too much and we need to stick to our original plan..NO RELIGION or POLITICS...this is getting away from us.
Actually I appreciate hearing about the real experiences my inn-mates have had concerning a topic that impacts all of us. Some of the comments mirror my own experiences and give me hope that, once I wade through the difficult, non functioning parts of the process, the fact that I am self-employed will no longer mean that I have to worry about my health care coverage costs.

I found this to be a perfectly civil, helpful, non-political discussion on a perfectly legitimate topic for innkeepers as small business owners who don't have healthcare provided by a big company. :cheers:
But there only 4 people on this forum I'm literally afraid of, and two of them are Joey Bloggs and EmptyNest. I'm therefore wisely shutting my trap on the subject of innkeepers' health insurance!

Back