Help! What do you think I should do?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a last minute cancel this weekend who wanted to move his rez out two weeks. Yup. He cancelled again. I explained in the email that if he cancelled or moved the rez again he lost the deposit. I'm out $1000 from this guy. I didn't make up the rooms this weekend and I probably won't make them up next weekend given this crappy summer of one nighters and half booked weekends..
Sorry he committed to the. original dares. If I had not rerented, he would have been charged. Would not have even considered changing dates without that caveat. His choice. Your rules.
Momma Smurf said:
Sorry he committed to the. original dares. If I had not rerented, he would have been charged. Would not have even considered changing dates without that caveat. His choice. Your rules.
As it turns out we don't have his cc info. We have someone else's. Not going thru arguing with a third party as well as him. He's the first person to hit our new do not book list. He says he's going to call back next week. Sorry. Pay in full up front, non refundable.

We had a last minute cancel this weekend who wanted to move his rez out two weeks. Yup. He cancelled again. I explained in the email that if he cancelled or moved the rez again he lost the deposit. I'm out $1000 from this guy. I didn't make up the rooms this weekend and I probably won't make them up next weekend given this crappy summer of one nighters and half booked weekends..
Momma Smurf said:
As it turns out we don't have his cc info. We have someone else's. Not going thru arguing with a third party as well as him. He's the first person to hit our new do not book list. He says he's going to call back next week. Sorry. Pay in full up front, non refundable.
Easy for him.. not his worry.
angry_smile.gif

I don't think I would want him at all, pre-paid or not. He doesn't sound reliable.

Momma Smurf said:
Dislike. So sorry.

That's another point. bking.com doesn't give you email addresses.... so you wouldn't have their email address if it wasn't entered into your system.
But look at the other side... are you willing to live with it if they post it online?.
Baby Puss said:
That's another point. bking.com doesn't give you email addresses.... so you wouldn't have their email address if it wasn't entered into your system.
But look at the other side... are you willing to live with it if they post it online?
im finding that everyone is worried about what people will post online and review about us. Myself included. So our policies and procedures are becoming suggestions rather than our law. People know this an are going to be able to get out of our polices for fear of the bad review. I'm starting to get tired of people threatening bad reviews to cover up for their ignorance! Innkeepers are becoming weak on policies and not enforcing them. The tables have turned and the "Guest rules the nest!"
Hillbilly said:
im finding that everyone is worried about what people will post online and review about us. Myself included. So our policies and procedures are becoming suggestions rather than our law. People know this an are going to be able to get out of our polices for fear of the bad review. I'm starting to get tired of people threatening bad reviews to cover up for their ignorance! Innkeepers are becoming weak on policies and not enforcing them. The tables have turned and the "Guest rules the nest!"
Exactly. Even a few years ago, we had people who made a two night reservation, apparently drove here and decided they wanted more of a "corporate" place and went down the street, calling us at 5PM to say so. We charged both nights to their AX, fully expecting a bad review. It came and we responded with something to the effect: "We small B&Bs should not be held hostage for fear of a bad review simply because we enforce our policies. A deep-pocketed airline, cruise line, or hotel chain would not have refunded a no show. We had a mutual contract which these guests broke." Again, the feedback we got from our future guests reading our response was "what jerks!"
We small B&Bs need our money more than the biggies. #1 rule we were taught in Hotel Management courses: Rooms are a perishable commodity; an unsold room for a specific date can never be recaptured. Just because we are small independents, we shouldn't let folks intimidate us with veiled threats nor jeopardize our income. If they get away with it once, it'll simply enable them to justify doing it again, and so goes the vicious cycle.
Poppa and I rule our Business.
thumbs_up.gif
many times. unless they threaten, cannot allow potential review to rule your life. Even if you get one, you can reach out and "try to make it right" and they night change it.

I'm glad it worked out well!!!!! Enjoy all your wonderful guests this weekend!

Back