Help! What do you think I should do?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's another point. bking.com doesn't give you email addresses.... so you wouldn't have their email address if it wasn't entered into your system.
But look at the other side... are you willing to live with it if they post it online?.
Baby Puss said:
That's another point. bking.com doesn't give you email addresses.... so you wouldn't have their email address if it wasn't entered into your system.
But look at the other side... are you willing to live with it if they post it online?
im finding that everyone is worried about what people will post online and review about us. Myself included. So our policies and procedures are becoming suggestions rather than our law. People know this an are going to be able to get out of our polices for fear of the bad review. I'm starting to get tired of people threatening bad reviews to cover up for their ignorance! Innkeepers are becoming weak on policies and not enforcing them. The tables have turned and the "Guest rules the nest!"
Hillbilly said:
Baby Puss said:
But look at the other side... are you willing to live with it if they post it online?
im finding that everyone is worried about what people will post online and review about us. Myself included. So our policies and procedures are becoming suggestions rather than our law. People know this an are going to be able to get out of our polices for fear of the bad review. I'm starting to get tired of people threatening bad reviews to cover up for their ignorance! Innkeepers are becoming weak on policies and not enforcing them. The tables have turned and the "Guest rules the nest!"
We just had guests post a review on Yelp. They asked about the scathing review we got several years ago. Their opinion? 'Outlier.' And it was fun to read the response. You can do a LOT with the response to head off people just like the idiots you don't want.

But look at the other side... are you willing to live with it if they post it online?.
Baby Puss said:
Hillbilly said:
Exactly. Even a few years ago, we had people who made a two night reservation, apparently drove here and decided they wanted more of a "corporate" place and went down the street, calling us at 5PM to say so. We charged both nights to their AX, fully expecting a bad review. It came and we responded with something to the effect: "We small B&Bs should not be held hostage for fear of a bad review simply because we enforce our policies. A deep-pocketed airline, cruise line, or hotel chain would not have refunded a no show. We had a mutual contract which these guests broke." Again, the feedback we got from our future guests reading our response was "what jerks!"
We small B&Bs need our money more than the biggies. #1 rule we were taught in Hotel Management courses: Rooms are a perishable commodity; an unsold room for a specific date can never be recaptured. Just because we are small independents, we shouldn't let folks intimidate us with veiled threats nor jeopardize our income. If they get away with it once, it'll simply enable them to justify doing it again, and so goes the vicious cycle.
Poppa and I rule our Business.

Baby Puss said:
I know it's a reality. I think the best response is... they agreed to the terms, but weren't willing to live with the consequences. But not everyone wants to live with that review. I'm not judging, just giving the reality of the options.

Tough one. Hate when guests back pedal on reservations. They can't explain how someone used all of their info to make a reservation.
What they'll say is you got the info from booking and you got the date wrong. But, you do have the history showing the reservation was made long before you got the booking reservation.
When did you tell them they could cancel?.
My cancellation policy is 48 hours, so they can cancel by July 31st.
So sorry you have to deal with this - I would charge them for the first one and cancel the second, no way I'd be out that much money. They probably just forgot to cancel it once they made it and then went ahead and did it on book ing for that other night. By the way, is 48 hours enough time for you to refill a room? Our cancellation policy is 14 days and even then I cannot always fill a room if it's cancelled on the 14th day.
Mine is also 48 hours and no, it is not possible to resell. Especially in Podunk.
What it does do though is free up time to do something unexpected. Reservations DO come here - often in "clumps" - but I am not the DESTINATION that some of you are. I also have the advantage that as long as I keep Himself in art supplies, fruit & veggies with a working TV, he is basically happy. My vices are the B & B and the City so it does not take much to keep us going. I have very few cancels because when they book here it is because THIS is where they need to be (or WANT to be). The long-term (2 months) at the tail end of winter who booked and then cancelled was the one that hurt because I had committed to something expecting that rez.

48 hours is pretty much the norm around here. Very busy in season and when one is all booked up, we all are. I've had about six cancellations so far this season and was able to book four of them.
Being the new one in these parts, my reviews are my draw. I don't want someone airing their own stupidity. I know that my future guests would be able to read between the lines but I haven't developed a thick skin yet. I had to deal with jerks and rude people all the time in my former life but I don't need to do that any more. My happiness and sanity is worth one night, and it was my least expensive room.
Maybe meant to be. For some reason, it now frees up an entire day--one in the middle of full houses in a two month period. Someone trying to tell me to take a night off????

48 hours is pretty much the norm around here. Very busy in season and when one is all booked up, we all are. I've had about six cancellations so far this season and was able to book four of them.
Being the new one in these parts, my reviews are my draw. I don't want someone airing their own stupidity. I know that my future guests would be able to read between the lines but I haven't developed a thick skin yet. I had to deal with jerks and rude people all the time in my former life but I don't need to do that any more. My happiness and sanity is worth one night, and it was my least expensive room.
Maybe meant to be. For some reason, it now frees up an entire day--one in the middle of full houses in a two month period. Someone trying to tell me to take a night off????.
2cat_lady said:
Maybe meant to be. For some reason, it now frees up an entire day--one in the middle of full houses in a two month period. Someone trying to tell me to take a night off????
Good way to look at it.

Maybe meant to be. For some reason, it now frees up an entire day--one in the middle of full houses in a two month period. Someone trying to tell me to take a night off????.
Cel-laaaa-braa-tion!! COME ON!!!!!

Baby Puss said:
Not yet here. I stand by my policy.
It was put there for a reason. After so many azzs I just thought about the whole picture. What is this teaching adults about us?
When the children were young I had to stand by rules to enforce good behavior. The end results was great I am proud of m y children they are thoughtful . Would they have been with out rules NO they would of not. they would of grown up rude and not caring.
Adult need boundaries.

We had this about 2 weeks ago - chap made a booking for a sunday night never came and we rang several times during the evening but looks like he put on his works number.
Got a stroppy email from him that he never stayed and why was he charged and how did we get his info - email was from a Fire place company in Ireland and the date was for a fire place convention in my town.
We sent him a copy of the email from Ex pe dia - saying this is where we received the info and yes he had not stayed with us but was charged as a no show and he should take it up with them as that is where we received it from - we have heard nothing back.
I think He or someone in his office has booked it then he either never came to the convention at all or booked himself something else and forgot about it. - not my problem.

2cat_lady said:
By not sticking to policies makes the guests think they can get away with anything they want. So now that they have learned this they will do it to the next property if they need to get out of a reservation. Just prepare yourself for more and more of these types of guests. It's becoming the norm. The reason? Because we allow it! Enjoy your time off...

Baby Puss said:
I know it's a reality. I think the best response is... they agreed to the terms, but weren't willing to live with the consequences. But not everyone wants to live with that review. I'm not judging, just giving the reality of the options.
As with everything it is a choice. But if more and more of us stood up for our policies and outright challenged those bad reviews with the facts (instead of boilerplate apologies), it would help to shift the notion that these adults have the "right" to behave badly, disrupt our financial welfare, and childishly attempt to damage our otherwise stellar reputations as revenge.
There is a closed (must be a documented B&B Owner) FB group that has over 930 members now from all over the world. Many innkeepers over there are quite vocal about not succumbing to creating expectations that we will just roll over, be bullied, and not stick to our policies; types of policies that any other professional company would hold adults accountable.
The keyword "adult" is used quite liberally over there...

Actually, now that I've thought about it more, .....
how did I get their email address if they didn't book the reservation? B**king only gives you an alias and they imputed their email address in the first reservation.
Ugh! I hate this. I'm always giving people the benefit of the doubt but I hate how this makes me feel. I don't like being walked on and my season is so short. Half of me just wants to give them back their money and say bye bye and the other half wants to keep the money and still say bye bye. I don't dare put DH on the phone because he's much more 'direct'..
2cat_lady said:
Actually, now that I've thought about it more, .....
how did I get their email address if they didn't book the reservation? B**king only gives you an alias and they imputed their email address in the first reservation.
Ugh! I hate this. I'm always giving people the benefit of the doubt but I hate how this makes me feel. I don't like being walked on and my season is so short. Half of me just wants to give them back their money and say bye bye and the other half wants to keep the money and still say bye bye. I don't dare put DH on the phone because he's much more 'direct'.
I am married to that same man, apparently

Tough one. Hate when guests back pedal on reservations. They can't explain how someone used all of their info to make a reservation.
What they'll say is you got the info from booking and you got the date wrong. But, you do have the history showing the reservation was made long before you got the booking reservation.
When did you tell them they could cancel?.
My cancellation policy is 48 hours, so they can cancel by July 31st.
So sorry you have to deal with this - I would charge them for the first one and cancel the second, no way I'd be out that much money. They probably just forgot to cancel it once they made it and then went ahead and did it on book ing for that other night. By the way, is 48 hours enough time for you to refill a room? Our cancellation policy is 14 days and even then I cannot always fill a room if it's cancelled on the 14th day.
MtnKeeper said:
we have 14 days cancellation policy as well, that is my reason for sending a 'welcome' letter 16 days before arrival. This gives them the opportunity to cancel without me charging for the entire stay. I will take $ 25 for every cancellation.

I wouldn't accept any reservation that wasn't backed with cash. Sorry, but they aren't trustworthy, if you ask me.

We had a last minute cancel this weekend who wanted to move his rez out two weeks. Yup. He cancelled again. I explained in the email that if he cancelled or moved the rez again he lost the deposit. I'm out $1000 from this guy. I didn't make up the rooms this weekend and I probably won't make them up next weekend given this crappy summer of one nighters and half booked weekends.

Two reservations a week apart? I am thinking they booked the July res, then changed to the August date, thinking the July had not gone through or was voided. From some places I get several emails all lumped together in one email with (2) and (3) in the headers .... so then I think they ignored the confirmation for July thinking it was all to do with the August date. Am I the only one who sees it this way?
I guess all are assuming and maybe you said ... they are protesting the no show charge?
I'd probably use the July payment for the August date and have them come because the July date is already a loss ... chalk it up to a misunderstanding. But that is me and I'm not in the middle of the situation.
I have no familiarity with boo k ing.
seashanty said:
Two reservations a week apart? I am thinking they booked the July res, then changed to the August date, thinking the July had not gone through or was voided. From some places I get several emails all lumped together in one email with (2) and (3) in the headers .... so then I think they ignored the confirmation for July thinking it was all to do with the August date. Am I the only one who sees it this way?
I guess all are assuming and maybe you said ... they are protesting the no show charge?
I'd probably use the July payment for the August date and have them come because the July date is already a loss ... chalk it up to a misunderstanding. But that is me and I'm not in the middle of the situation.
I have no familiarity with boo k ing
Yes, I am thinking something along these lines as well SS. I have had several reservations where people have changed their plans, bumped us up or back in their trip. It can get confusing.

Clearly not Cats fault and so glad ResKey provides these details on when and where the booking came from. It is proof for things like this.

If I read correctly the guest did call back, seemed maybe they did make a mistake with the booking. Wants to stay. If they were nice, then all is well. I would keep their August reservation. Personally I would keep the 1st payment. Your choice to use it for the 2nd stay or not which is an option.

We had a last minute cancel this weekend who wanted to move his rez out two weeks. Yup. He cancelled again. I explained in the email that if he cancelled or moved the rez again he lost the deposit. I'm out $1000 from this guy. I didn't make up the rooms this weekend and I probably won't make them up next weekend given this crappy summer of one nighters and half booked weekends..
Morticia said:
We had a last minute cancel this weekend who wanted to move his rez out two weeks. Yup. He cancelled again. I explained in the email that if he cancelled or moved the rez again he lost the deposit. I'm out $1000 from this guy. I didn't make up the rooms this weekend and I probably won't make them up next weekend given this crappy summer of one nighters and half booked weekends.
Uggg!

We had a last minute cancel this weekend who wanted to move his rez out two weeks. Yup. He cancelled again. I explained in the email that if he cancelled or moved the rez again he lost the deposit. I'm out $1000 from this guy. I didn't make up the rooms this weekend and I probably won't make them up next weekend given this crappy summer of one nighters and half booked weekends..
Sorry he committed to the. original dares. If I had not rerented, he would have been charged. Would not have even considered changing dates without that caveat. His choice. Your rules.

"Their cousin" just texted us and said there was a confusion as they didn't have a reservation with us tonight in response to our inquiry when they will be here today. Luckily for us its through airbnb..... let them deal with them!
wink_smile.gif
Duff2014 said:
"Their cousin" just texted us and said there was a confusion as they didn't have a reservation with us tonight in response to our inquiry when they will be here today. Luckily for us its through airbnb..... let them deal with them!
wink_smile.gif
Update.... Air was just as confused as we were. We just received the notice that their payment is coming for the no show.
We love Air! It gives us lots of business and not pushy or demanding or changing things on us. All the people have been nice so far.

Back