How do you react to free photo-shoot offers?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An alternative approach: make a reservation to stay at each of these places (as a regular guest; you are going to need accommodation on your trip anyway!), and while you are there, just start taking pictures (so long as you are unobtrusive in doing so). As the sayings go, "shoot first, ask questions later" or "it is easier to ask for forgiveness after the fact than for permission ahead of time..."
How do others feel about guests taking photographs of your place while they are staying with you? Our guests are taking pictures all the time; sometimes they even share them with us!

I'm glad that I am getting really great stories from you guys (and gals), your feedback is very helpful.
@Harborfields: nice deal with the painters. Imagine seeing their work 20-30 years from now, in some fancy gallery, with a painting of your B&B somewhere. I'm sure it will bring a tear at least.
And yes, all those emails were hand-crafted for each hotel (even though, as I mentioned earlier, contained a somewhat different message). I did not just copy/paste 20 emails, it took me about 4 days to send all 20+ of them.

I have actually booked and stayed at 2 hotels that peaked my interest during our trips.
One had a 9.5 rating on Boo!-king and cost about $180 / night, and we spent 2 nights there.
The morning we were leaving, I decided to try a friendly talk with the owner about their website, and he got incredibly defensive.
It was late September, we were the only ones staying at this 14-rooms hotel. I'm 28, 1.70m and young looking, always dressed casually, I'm no bully. So it surprised me that the owner immediately changed his attitude. The least you can do with your only clients for the day is to be polite for a couple of minutes.
I wasn't trying to sell anything, just told him that I run a firm that provides websites for properties like his, and if I could send him an email in a few days, after I finish my trip. So I simply asked for permission to send him an email, nothing more. And it was tough to get... Oh well, maybe it was just an example of stereotype about German hospitality :)
@Silverspoon: what's up with videographers...
About 2 years ago I was in a situation a little bit worse. At the time I was spending all my time promoting a travel website in my country (which was becoming very popular). One day, I get an email from an american (they don't come often to this part of Eastern Europe), saying that he is doing some cool video project, is going to visit like 100 countries in 2 years. Needed someone to take care of accommodation and transport.
I looked him up, checked his FB profile, his website, everything checked out. Saw some video previews of his travels to other countries.
So I pulled some strings, got him 3 FREE nights at one of the best 5-star hotels in the capital. Spent 2 full days with him on the road, drove about 500 km (our roads are among the worst in Europe), showed him all attractions and sights.
Aaaand I'm still waiting for at least one second of the promised videos. The hotel was promised a quick promo as well, nothing happened.
I'm not bitter, it is just painful to be deceived like that. So in a way "I feel you" :)
@Madeleine: the email with photos is just an example, it is not something that I actually sent out. In the past 12 months I think I have reviewed over 1.000 of hotel websites, and I can freely say that over 90% have incredibly outdated and low-res photos. This is why an email for photos might be a bit more attractive to some (especially if it doesn't cost anything).
-----
And to reiterate Harborfields's question: do you mind people taking photos of the property? Do you expect them to ask for permission first?

I'm glad that I am getting really great stories from you guys (and gals), your feedback is very helpful.
@Harborfields: nice deal with the painters. Imagine seeing their work 20-30 years from now, in some fancy gallery, with a painting of your B&B somewhere. I'm sure it will bring a tear at least.
And yes, all those emails were hand-crafted for each hotel (even though, as I mentioned earlier, contained a somewhat different message). I did not just copy/paste 20 emails, it took me about 4 days to send all 20+ of them.

I have actually booked and stayed at 2 hotels that peaked my interest during our trips.
One had a 9.5 rating on Boo!-king and cost about $180 / night, and we spent 2 nights there.
The morning we were leaving, I decided to try a friendly talk with the owner about their website, and he got incredibly defensive.
It was late September, we were the only ones staying at this 14-rooms hotel. I'm 28, 1.70m and young looking, always dressed casually, I'm no bully. So it surprised me that the owner immediately changed his attitude. The least you can do with your only clients for the day is to be polite for a couple of minutes.
I wasn't trying to sell anything, just told him that I run a firm that provides websites for properties like his, and if I could send him an email in a few days, after I finish my trip. So I simply asked for permission to send him an email, nothing more. And it was tough to get... Oh well, maybe it was just an example of stereotype about German hospitality :)
About 2 years ago I was in a situation a little bit worse. At the time I was spending all my time promoting a travel website in my country (which was becoming very popular). One day, I get an email from an american (they don't come often to this part of Eastern Europe), saying that he is doing some cool video project, is going to visit like 100 countries in 2 years. Needed someone to take care of accommodation and transport.
I looked him up, checked his FB profile, his website, everything checked out. Saw some video previews of his travels to other countries.
So I pulled some strings, got him 3 FREE nights at one of the best 5-star hotels in the capital. Spent 2 full days with him on the road, drove about 500 km (our roads are among the worst in Europe), showed him all attractions and sights.
Aaaand I'm still waiting for at least one second of the promised videos. The hotel was promised a quick promo as well, nothing happened.
I'm not bitter, it is just painful to be deceived like that. So in a way "I feel you" :)
@Madeleine: the email with photos is just an example, it is not something that I actually sent out. In the past 12 months I think I have reviewed over 1.000 of hotel websites, and I can freely say that over 90% have incredibly outdated and low-res photos. This is why an email for photos might be a bit more attractive to some (especially if it doesn't cost anything).
-----
And to reiterate Harborfields's question: do you mind people taking photos of the property? Do you expect them to ask for permission first?.
dumitru said:
I'll take each of these one at a time...
Yes, the innkeeper got hostile. You've seen it here. The inns are our babies. You came out of nowhere to talk about their website. FIRST thing the owner thought was you were trying to sell him something. (Isn't that what we all thought here when you first signed up? You can't say that's not how you come across! Not sure if anyone has taken you up on your offer for a free website review but for those who haven't here's why - we're pretty sure the 'other shoe' will drop with you saying you can fix a lot of the problems for $x.)
Second thing the innkeeper thought was 'who the hell does this guy think he is?' And, 'what does this guy know about anything?'
ALL of us have had complete strangers think that staying a couple of nights gives them the right to 'explain' to us how we could be doing so much better if we only did...
Think of it this way, the innkeeper turns to you as you are checking out and says, 'About your kid/spouse, I've seen other kids/spouses dressed better and I think your kid/spouse is being hurt by not being dressed as well as you could be dressing him/her.'
It would be a bit of a shock wouldn't it? What does the innkeeper know about your family/situation? How dare he!

-----
And to reiterate Harborfields's question: do you mind people taking photos of the property? Do you expect them to ask for permission first?.
dumitru said:
-----
And to reiterate Harborfields's question: do you mind people taking photos of the property? Do you expect them to ask for permission first?
I think the hotel would be more receptive if they saw a comparison. A photo you took vs the same photo on their website right now. AND an explanation of how much it would cost to get, say, 50 excellent photos for them to use forever. No one believes 'free'.
The first person I contacted to take photos here said it would be between $3k - $5k for photos. THEN the cropping and light changes, etc would be $x per photo. He looked around and said we didn't really have anything good here to photograph, it would all have to be tweaked and flowers added here and there and all this PRE photo shoot decorating done.
The photos I now have (of the food only at this time) were taken by an amateur who charged $700 for her time. I have 2 CD's filled with pix. Probably half of them are junk because she was really only interested in the flowers and food not the rooms. And, I've changed all the rooms since the pix were taken so they're all out of date!
Guests taking photos do not have to ask first. We want them to take photos. One of my projects is to get a sign put up in the garden where they love to take pix!
I regularly see people jumping out of their cars to take pix of the yard/gardens/house. Not that it's a great house, but this is how people planning weddings remember the names of all the places they've looked at.

Example: Inbox right now with disclaimer at end that this is not spam (I could post these every day for the next year) this is what we are talking about:
Claibornehouse.net Team,
I would like to take a few minutes from your schedule and ask for your attention towards Organic search engine traffic for Claibornehouse.net.
As a business Owner you might be interested to gain profit by placing your website among top in search engines. Your website needs immediate improvement for some major issues with your website.
1. Low online presence for many competitive keyword phrases.
2. Not doing well in most of the Social Media Websites.
3. Your site is not user friendly on mobile devices.
Looking at the above issues and other additional improvements for your website, I would like you to give us a chance to fix those issues. Our team of Search Engine and Social Media experts are here to serve you with best inputs. If you are interested in learning more about current status of your website, we would be glad to share WEBSITE AUDIT REPORT ofClaibornehouse.net for FREE.
You will feel the difference once you get services from our company as we never let our clients expectations go down. Being at the top left of Google (#1- #3 organic positions) is the best thing you can do for your company's website traffic and online reputation. You will be happy to know that, my team is willing to guarantee you 1st page Google ranking for most of your targeted local keyword phrases in our six month ongoing campaign.
If my proposal sound's interesting for your business goal, feel free to email us, or can provide me with your phone number and the best time to call you. I am also available for an online meeting to present you this website audit report.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Best Regards,
Puspa Verma
Marketing Consultant
PS I: I am not spamming. I have studied your website and believe I can help with your business promotion. If you still want us to not contact you, you can ignore this email or ask to remove and I will not contact again.
PS II: I found your site using Google search and after having a look over your website I recommend you to implement future technologies such as HTML5 and Responsive Design to make your site more accessible in mobile phone, tablets, desktop etc.

This topic of spam, vs. not spam, approaches theft of boxes Kleenex in importance in the overall topic of innkeeping...and life. Enjoy your coffee and your thoughts. Little else is as important.

-----
dumitru said:
-----
I think the hotel would be more receptive if they saw a comparison. A photo you took vs the same photo on their website right now. AND an explanation of how much it would cost to get, say, 50 excellent photos for them to use forever. No one believes 'free'.
The first person I contacted to take photos here said it would be between $3k - $5k for photos. THEN the cropping and light changes, etc would be $x per photo. He looked around and said we didn't really have anything good here to photograph, it would all have to be tweaked and flowers added here and there and all this PRE photo shoot decorating done.
The photos I now have (of the food only at this time) were taken by an amateur who charged $700 for her time. I have 2 CD's filled with pix. Probably half of them are junk because she was really only interested in the flowers and food not the rooms. And, I've changed all the rooms since the pix were taken so they're all out of date!
Guests taking photos do not have to ask first. We want them to take photos. One of my projects is to get a sign put up in the garden where they love to take pix!
I regularly see people jumping out of their cars to take pix of the yard/gardens/house. Not that it's a great house, but this is how people planning weddings remember the names of all the places they've looked at.
I guess that this comment contains a part of the real reason why some owners would avoid such an offer.
When in some countries photographers charge over 1-2K for a photo-shoot, the risk of getting into a well-worded scam would be too painful money-wise.
So it is better to just avoid the situation altogether.
But damn, those are some crazy rates. I got my current camera and 1 lens for a total of ~$4K. One such client would pay off my whole equipment. Damn this is crazy :)

Example: Inbox right now with disclaimer at end that this is not spam (I could post these every day for the next year) this is what we are talking about:
Claibornehouse.net Team,
I would like to take a few minutes from your schedule and ask for your attention towards Organic search engine traffic for Claibornehouse.net.
As a business Owner you might be interested to gain profit by placing your website among top in search engines. Your website needs immediate improvement for some major issues with your website.
Looking at the above issues and other additional improvements for your website, I would like you to give us a chance to fix those issues. Our team of Search Engine and Social Media experts are here to serve you with best inputs. If you are interested in learning more about current status of your website, we would be glad to share WEBSITE AUDIT REPORT ofClaibornehouse.net for FREE.
You will feel the difference once you get services from our company as we never let our clients expectations go down. Being at the top left of Google (#1- #3 organic positions) is the best thing you can do for your company's website traffic and online reputation. You will be happy to know that, my team is willing to guarantee you 1st page Google ranking for most of your targeted local keyword phrases in our six month ongoing campaign.
If my proposal sound's interesting for your business goal, feel free to email us, or can provide me with your phone number and the best time to call you. I am also available for an online meeting to present you this website audit report.
Best Regards,
Puspa Verma
Marketing Consultant
PS I: I am not spamming. I have studied your website and believe I can help with your business promotion. If you still want us to not contact you, you can ignore this email or ask to remove and I will not contact again.
PS II: I found your site using Google search and after having a look over your website I recommend you to implement future technologies such as HTML5 and Responsive Design to make your site more accessible in mobile phone, tablets, desktop etc..
Yes, that is definitely spam.
One thing that sets me off on these SEO offers -- "Right now your website is not being found on Google. We can help you get to #1... blah, blah, blah" -- But somehow YOU (mr. spammer) found me!

Claibornehouse.net Team,
Best Regards,
Puspa Verma
Marketing Consultant
PS II: I found your site using Google search and after having a look over your website I recommend you to implement future technologies such as HTML5 and Responsive Design to make your site more accessible in mobile phone, tablets, desktop etc..
There should be a SPAM filter containing just the words "organic search". I get these myself, like 20-30 per day for each of my websites.
But this is obviously an automatically generated one, as it only uses your website URL (not the Inn's name at least). It uses vague terms and promises, nor does it touch the fact that you are actually in the hospitality business.
This same email would be valid for a Post Office website, a tattoo-parlor, etc.
That is the reason why I said that my email could be considered as "less" spammy, because they were actually written for each hotel/B&B separately, with real names, and no sales pitch in it.
But I guess this topic has been exhausted already :)
I'm glad people participated in this discussion, it was helpful for me, so thank you all for your time.

Claibornehouse.net Team,
Best Regards,
Puspa Verma
Marketing Consultant
One thing that sets me off on these SEO offers -- "Right now your website is not being found on Google. We can help you get to #1... blah, blah, blah" -- But somehow YOU (mr. spammer) found me!
Harborfields said:
and you know me by now, the one who just yesterday posted two articles here about website/social media marketing and keeping an eye on your inn online, ie google images, etc. We had your neat newspaper article and discussing ways to promote the inn, with sharing, comments, links etc.
so yeah...help me unknown person who sends spam and tells me an untruth. You MUST know what you are talking about. Haha

Claibornehouse.net Team,
Best Regards,
Puspa Verma
Marketing Consultant
There should be a SPAM filter containing just the words "organic search". I get these myself, like 20-30 per day for each of my websites.
But this is obviously an automatically generated one, as it only uses your website URL (not the Inn's name at least). It uses vague terms and promises, nor does it touch the fact that you are actually in the hospitality business.
That is the reason why I said that my email could be considered as "less" spammy, because they were actually written for each hotel/B&B separately, with real names, and no sales pitch in it.
I'm glad people participated in this discussion, it was helpful for me, so thank you all for your time.
dumitru said:
I have set up spam filters to remove any email with 'seo' in the sender's name. ie - sam @ seo marketing . com.
I think you're missing the definition of 'spam'. Spam is not necessarily only an identical email that 20,000 users get at the same time. It's unsolicited contact. It's called junk mail when it's in the mailbox outside but it's the same thing. It doesn't have to be selling ED drugs or fake trips to the Caribbean or trying to phish your bank info. It's email I didn't request that is trying to sell me something or get me to engage with someone I don't know or somehow taking up my time.
There's a fine line here, too. I get lots of spam but not nearly as much as JB gets because she blogs the hell out of everything so her info is everywhere. I get emails from Chamber members. I'm not in the Chamber but they let all of their members use this really old marketing list of members. That's spam. But, in a way, I opted into that list by being a member. So it's not spam in the real sense. But it's annoying anyway!
We biz owners are just spending a lot of our valuable energy being annoyed so even useful emails get the boot. You might not think your email is spam but you are the final arbiter of that definition. The recipient is.

An alternative approach: make a reservation to stay at each of these places (as a regular guest; you are going to need accommodation on your trip anyway!), and while you are there, just start taking pictures (so long as you are unobtrusive in doing so). As the sayings go, "shoot first, ask questions later" or "it is easier to ask for forgiveness after the fact than for permission ahead of time..."
How do others feel about guests taking photographs of your place while they are staying with you? Our guests are taking pictures all the time; sometimes they even share them with us!.
Harborfields said:
How do others feel about guests taking photographs of your place while they are staying with you? Our guests are taking pictures all the time; sometimes they even share them with us!
My rule is click often and sharing is appreciated (except my office and the kitchen - my work stations)

Claibornehouse.net Team,
Best Regards,
Puspa Verma
Marketing Consultant
dumitru said:
I have set up spam filters to remove any email with 'seo' in the sender's name. ie - sam @ seo marketing . com.
I think you're missing the definition of 'spam'. Spam is not necessarily only an identical email that 20,000 users get at the same time. It's unsolicited contact. It's called junk mail when it's in the mailbox outside but it's the same thing. It doesn't have to be selling ED drugs or fake trips to the Caribbean or trying to phish your bank info. It's email I didn't request that is trying to sell me something or get me to engage with someone I don't know or somehow taking up my time.
There's a fine line here, too. I get lots of spam but not nearly as much as JB gets because she blogs the hell out of everything so her info is everywhere. I get emails from Chamber members. I'm not in the Chamber but they let all of their members use this really old marketing list of members. That's spam. But, in a way, I opted into that list by being a member. So it's not spam in the real sense. But it's annoying anyway!
We biz owners are just spending a lot of our valuable energy being annoyed so even useful emails get the boot. You might not think your email is spam but you are the final arbiter of that definition. The recipient is.
Madeleine said:
dumitru said:
I don't have my email out there, that is the difference. Mine are always real people spamming me, I know, how can THAT be spam... haha
I have had five emails from BBONLINE (y'all prob have to) telling me to go to their table at PAII to get a prize! What are they, McDonalds now? Is this spam? I have not listed with them since canceling and did not AUTHORIZE them to continue sending me emails by the half dozen, is this spam? YEAH! HELL TO THE YEAH, as Madea would say.
and...once again I am wasting time speaking about spam! DARN IT! See how it is, spam spam spam ugly spam...

-----
dumitru said:
Really? Are you listening to yourself? OF COURSE YOU WERE TRYING TO SELL HIM SOMETHING. By telling him you weren't, just made the situation worse. You lost any credibility you might have had up to that point. I really don't think you're aware of how that sounds to a business owner. We are bombarded every day by people who say they're not trying to sell us things and then without taking a breath they try to sell us a service.
You rented a room from this guy, not a lecture, mentor session, or business coach. Just say thank you for the stay. PERIOD.

OK I think it is great if anyone who wants to sell me something first stays a night. I will be nice!
In fact I think this will be our new purchasing strategy for 2014- before you can sell any SEO/advertising etc you need to book a room (off-season...) and get the overnight B&B experience at our place.......

-----
dumitru said:
Really? Are you listening to yourself? OF COURSE YOU WERE TRYING TO SELL HIM SOMETHING. By telling him you weren't, just made the situation worse. You lost any credibility you might have had up to that point. I really don't think you're aware of how that sounds to a business owner. We are bombarded every day by people who say they're not trying to sell us things and then without taking a breath they try to sell us a service.
You rented a room from this guy, not a lecture, mentor session, or business coach. Just say thank you for the stay. PERIOD.
I guess all I can say is "lesson learned".
Oh, and of course this experience didn't stop me from giving their hotel a 10/10 review on b00!king.
It was the best stay we have ever had :)

and again, and with:
pasted part of:
3. Your website should be more inclined towards Social media promotion and a regular updates in major social networks for its brand awareness.
4. Missing of quality web and promotion contents (Article, Blogs etc.) which is preventing your website to gain more authority and ranking in Web Market.
In the present day scenario it’s very essential to take a proper care of your website and keep it updated with fresh and original contents. There are many additional improvements which can help your website to gain more traffic and visibility. If you are interested to learn more and curious to know how we can help you to improve your website to get a higher traffic, then I would be glad to provide you a detailed proposal for your website.
Best Regards,
Jay Watson
Senior SEO Advisor
Note: We are not spammers. We just want to know your interest towards the better performance of your website and enhance your business in web market. If you will be interested we will directly communicate with you through our corporate Id.
If you think it's unnecessary for you so please email us back to remove and we will unsubscribe you. Hope you will co-operate.
Jay Watson [email protected] Here is his email if any spammers are reading this and want another email to spam. Although I am not sure this is even a real person...
PS from JB to innmates - this email went to the EMAIL I only show ONLINE for reservations. So if you have NOT DONE THIS BEFORE, you should have a dedicated EMAIL and you will find all of this SPAM and CRAP sent to that email. Too bad this SPAMMER didn't take the ONE SECOND to look at the website they are spamming and see THE OWNERS NAMES and insert them, they may have actually gotten a BITE from some "victim of social media" and had interest. Not from me, of course, I am not a victim of social media.
thumbs_down.gif

and again, and with:
pasted part of:
3. Your website should be more inclined towards Social media promotion and a regular updates in major social networks for its brand awareness.
4. Missing of quality web and promotion contents (Article, Blogs etc.) which is preventing your website to gain more authority and ranking in Web Market.
In the present day scenario it’s very essential to take a proper care of your website and keep it updated with fresh and original contents. There are many additional improvements which can help your website to gain more traffic and visibility. If you are interested to learn more and curious to know how we can help you to improve your website to get a higher traffic, then I would be glad to provide you a detailed proposal for your website.
Best Regards,
Jay Watson
Senior SEO Advisor
Note: We are not spammers. We just want to know your interest towards the better performance of your website and enhance your business in web market. If you will be interested we will directly communicate with you through our corporate Id.
If you think it's unnecessary for you so please email us back to remove and we will unsubscribe you. Hope you will co-operate.
Jay Watson [email protected] Here is his email if any spammers are reading this and want another email to spam. Although I am not sure this is even a real person...
PS from JB to innmates - this email went to the EMAIL I only show ONLINE for reservations. So if you have NOT DONE THIS BEFORE, you should have a dedicated EMAIL and you will find all of this SPAM and CRAP sent to that email. Too bad this SPAMMER didn't take the ONE SECOND to look at the website they are spamming and see THE OWNERS NAMES and insert them, they may have actually gotten a BITE from some "victim of social media" and had interest. Not from me, of course, I am not a victim of social media.
thumbs_down.gif
I try to catch them at the server. IF they make it to my computer, they get the junk/block sender treatment without being opened. My block list must be a mile long! They always have another address to use though to try to get through.

and again, and with:
pasted part of:
Best Regards,
Jay Watson
Senior SEO Advisor
thumbs_down.gif
I try to catch them at the server. IF they make it to my computer, they get the junk/block sender treatment without being opened. My block list must be a mile long! They always have another address to use though to try to get through.
gillumhouse said:
I know I am just sharing because often people don't get why we appear hostile when they are soliciting us on the forum.

and again, and with:
pasted part of:
Best Regards,
Jay Watson
Senior SEO Advisor
thumbs_down.gif
gillumhouse said:
I know I am just sharing because often people don't get why we appear hostile when they are soliciting us on the forum.
Of course. I am offering them ways to keep it out of their computer. Sometimes the block this user actually works and puts it into the junk instead of my inbox.

Back