How to .........

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As i said before, give me a call. who ever did yourvsite does not have a clue what a good b &b site looks like. Yours needs a total redo, way past out of date.Sorry
You need wordpress and a simple widget..
Could you tell more about wordpress? It creates websites and blog pages? Why is wordpress a good place to put a website?
jmj said:
Could you tell more about wordpress? It creates websites and blog pages? Why is wordpress a good place to put a website?
WordPress is not website hosting. You need a website host as a place for your website to live.
WordPress is more of a format for your website. A way to create a website. There are thousands of templates you can buy that work on the WordPress platform.
It started off more as a place to blog but is now a huge resource for creating a fully functioning website. If you're going to do your website yourself this is a great place to do it.
However, the options are a bit overwhelming.
Thanks Madeleine- I was looking into Wix, but now see wordpress. I assume they will help me find a "website host"? I really need to get started on this website.
Side note: many of you mentioned the need for a website, but when I went to do research about rates etc for local hotels, no one has a website! Even the hotel on FB, with 14,000 likes, has no website! I feel like I am taking the area into uncharted waters!
I will just say... if you don't know a thing about doing a website. DON't DO IT YOURSELF! Nothing worse than a do it yourselfer website. Get a pro to do it for you. Then once it is done have them show you how you can edit it yourself. Make sure they use Wordpress to create the site.
Why "make sure" to use Wordpress?

As i said before, give me a call. who ever did yourvsite does not have a clue what a good b &b site looks like. Yours needs a total redo, way past out of date.Sorry
jmj said:
WordPress is not website hosting. You need a website host as a place for your website to live.
WordPress is more of a format for your website. A way to create a website. There are thousands of templates you can buy that work on the WordPress platform.
It started off more as a place to blog but is now a huge resource for creating a fully functioning website. If you're going to do your website yourself this is a great place to do it.
Thanks Madeleine- I was looking into Wix, but now see wordpress. I assume they will help me find a "website host"? I really need to get started on this website.
Side note: many of you mentioned the need for a website, but when I went to do research about rates etc for local hotels, no one has a website! Even the hotel on FB, with 14,000 likes, has no website! I feel like I am taking the area into uncharted waters!
I will just say... if you don't know a thing about doing a website. DON't DO IT YOURSELF! Nothing worse than a do it yourselfer website. Get a pro to do it for you. Then once it is done have them show you how you can edit it yourself. Make sure they use Wordpress to create the site.
It has become the standard now. Though you can still use html, you have to go to do more to get a responsive site for mobile devices. Wordpress..once done..can in most cases be edited by the owner of the site rather than paying a webmaster to do it for you...that is...IF they will provide you with some instructions.
embaressed_smile.gif

jmj said:
I believe you about the website, but saw someone else's using WIX and it looked great. Everything it needed. He did say however that if I needed so help, he could. So maybe that is the "help" you are referring to. I just want to do the right thing, get it done right the first time, and not have to go back and fix things or worry that it is not working right. Let me check on a few things, the area of expats down there might have some freelancers that I could hire. Would check their work. So far I know I want:
wordpress
reservationkey
link to tripadvisor, fb etc
google+ business
link to email
GREAT PHOTOS
wondering if I am eligible for the inrewards.com- it explained it wasn't for just the average joe (or jill)
You can find all sorts of postings if you just google. But here are a few I found:
http://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.wix.com
http://www.avisualidentity.com/blog/why-online-website-builder-wix-sucks.html

jmj said:
It has become the standard now. Though you can still use html, you have to go to do more to get a responsive site for mobile devices. Wordpress..once done..can in most cases be edited by the owner of the site rather than paying a webmaster to do it for you...that is...IF they will provide you with some instructions.
embaressed_smile.gif

HMMM.. I think it is important to approach this with a little less certainty. Wordpress is an obvious choice for blogging but there are a lot of reasons to consider HTML5 and CSS for your website. From security to speed to the flexibility of creating a truly unique website, building a website from the ground up is still very attractive for your business.
A Content Management System deployed as a website is a great choice for creating a low cost and quick solution. I just think it is a misnomer to say you "must have" Word Press"

jmj said:
embaressed_smile.gif

HMMM.. I think it is important to approach this with a little less certainty. Wordpress is an obvious choice for blogging but there are a lot of reasons to consider HTML5 and CSS for your website. From security to speed to the flexibility of creating a truly unique website, building a website from the ground up is still very attractive for your business.
A Content Management System deployed as a website is a great choice for creating a low cost and quick solution. I just think it is a misnomer to say you "must have" Word Press"
Maybe you took "must" too strongly. Wordpress is for more than blogging these days in case you hadn't noticed. CSS abounds in wordpress for those who can code. But for the average innkeeper, WP is a way to have a wonderful looking website and be able to edit it yourself. That's all I am trying to say. If you can afford to pay someone 5-10 K to do your website...go for it.
You will notice that even A c o r n now does most of its sites in WP.

jmj said:
embaressed_smile.gif

Maybe you took "must" too strongly. Wordpress is for more than blogging these days in case you hadn't noticed. CSS abounds in wordpress for those who can code. But for the average innkeeper, WP is a way to have a wonderful looking website and be able to edit it yourself. That's all I am trying to say. If you can afford to pay someone 5-10 K to do your website...go for it.
You will notice that even A c o r n now does most of its sites in WP.
You are correct. I took it too strongly

jmj said:
I believe you about the website, but saw someone else's using WIX and it looked great. Everything it needed. He did say however that if I needed so help, he could. So maybe that is the "help" you are referring to. I just want to do the right thing, get it done right the first time, and not have to go back and fix things or worry that it is not working right. Let me check on a few things, the area of expats down there might have some freelancers that I could hire. Would check their work. So far I know I want:
wordpress
reservationkey
google+ business
link to email
GREAT PHOTOS
wondering if I am eligible for the inrewards.com- it explained it wasn't for just the average joe (or jill)
Bob who runs Innrewards is one of us - he accepts properties onto the site on a case by case basis ie looks and checks they are owner run etc - don't see it as a problem as he has probably been reading your posts.

I somewhat share EmptyNest's enthusiasm about WordPress, but it surely isn't a "must have".
WordPress is a popular CMS (content management system), and it is great for independent properties. However, you shouldn't discard other CMS's as well, such as Drupal, Joomla, Typo3, etc.
The system itself won't solve your problems, but your website developer will. If he chooses to use WordPress - fine, if he choose Drupal - fine as well.
Think of it this way: even if I buy a Ferrari, if I don't know how to drive - the car is useless, it won't do wonders. Same thing about WordPress - if you implement it badly - it will stink.
Another thing to consider is the available templates/themes. The marketplace of themes for WordPress is huge, you have a wide selection and at very acceptable prices.
A good selection of themes can be found here: http://www.premiumwp.com/category/premium-themes/hotel-wordpress-themes/
T
here are less templates for other CMSs, which is one of the main reasons people go with WordPress.
Also, the learning curve with WordPress is much easier than with other CMSs, so there's that.
And I'm also not quite sure why Happykeeper and EmptyNest would compare WordPress and HTML5/CSS. The first is a CMS, the second is a mark-up language, the third is a style sheet language.
A WordPress theme can be coded with HTML5 mark-up and all websites rely on CSS. The same is valid for any other CMS. So don't think of it as "or or".

I somewhat share EmptyNest's enthusiasm about WordPress, but it surely isn't a "must have".
WordPress is a popular CMS (content management system), and it is great for independent properties. However, you shouldn't discard other CMS's as well, such as Drupal, Joomla, Typo3, etc.
The system itself won't solve your problems, but your website developer will. If he chooses to use WordPress - fine, if he choose Drupal - fine as well.
Think of it this way: even if I buy a Ferrari, if I don't know how to drive - the car is useless, it won't do wonders. Same thing about WordPress - if you implement it badly - it will stink.
Another thing to consider is the available templates/themes. The marketplace of themes for WordPress is huge, you have a wide selection and at very acceptable prices.
A good selection of themes can be found here: http://www.premiumwp.com/category/premium-themes/hotel-wordpress-themes/
T
here are less templates for other CMSs, which is one of the main reasons people go with WordPress.
Also, the learning curve with WordPress is much easier than with other CMSs, so there's that.
And I'm also not quite sure why Happykeeper and EmptyNest would compare WordPress and HTML5/CSS. The first is a CMS, the second is a mark-up language, the third is a style sheet language.
A WordPress theme can be coded with HTML5 mark-up and all websites rely on CSS. The same is valid for any other CMS. So don't think of it as "or or".
I use THEMEFOREST for all my themes now.
I have tried others in the past but the support I have gotten from themes such as STRIKING MULTIFLEX is so outstanding I would never go with one who did not have GREAT support.
I have just tried DIVI and though it has some good elements to it...the support is not good. It is like pulling teeth to get answers from them and you have to code so much stuff it isn't worth the time to me.
AVADA is also a good theme with good support.
I was not comparing the different ones..just mention. Yes there is Joomla and Drupal etc..but Wordpress seems to be the leader at this point in time.

T
dumitru said:
I take the fall for that. I think I was trying to compare using a CMS with doing it from scratch on DW. I have a dangerously small amount of knowledge on the comparison between a CMS and a scratch built site.

jmj said:
wordpress
reservationkey
google+ business
link to email
GREAT PHOTOS
I use 1and1.com to host my site. It is up all the time - the times I get notified it is down (my tracking program tells me when it went down and when it came up again.) and it is not expensive. I have at least 7 e-mail addresses redirected to the main address - depends on what I am promoting which address I use. Get a domain name and use it as your @xyzinn.com so no matter what company you use as your host, your e-mail will not change as far as the world is concerned. Only your redirect will change (behind the curtain with the wizard).

T
Yes, nowadays it is a pretty bad idea to build something from scratch without using a popular CMS.
As for ThemeForest, it is a 50/50 marketplace. The requirements to enter it as a developer are extremely low (they are working on it), so there are many developers that just make 1-2 themes, put them up for sale and then they go on with other things.
So in some cases you might not get answers to your support questions for weeks on end.
But there are many great themes on TF, as well as in independent shops that don't sell their stuff via TF.
P.S. ThemeForest doesn't even require that developers provide support for their own products.

T
Yes, nowadays it is a pretty bad idea to build something from scratch without using a popular CMS.
As for ThemeForest, it is a 50/50 marketplace. The requirements to enter it as a developer are extremely low (they are working on it), so there are many developers that just make 1-2 themes, put them up for sale and then they go on with other things.
So in some cases you might not get answers to your support questions for weeks on end.
But there are many great themes on TF, as well as in independent shops that don't sell their stuff via TF.
P.S. ThemeForest doesn't even require that developers provide support for their own products.
As I said..I only use 2 themes from themeforest. Striking MULTIFLEX and AVADA.
These I can ASSURE you have OUTSTANDING SUPPORT!!!

I just came across this site. It may be helpful to those of you who want to do your own website in W P.
http://letsbuildwp.com/
I don't know him.....He may be trying to get people to host with him...ignore that..but the tutorials may be helpful :)

A plus for godaddy hosting is that they now offer a 'managed wordpress' hosting option, so that you don't have to do your own upgrades once you install WP. That option limits the widgets (plug ins or options) that you can use but not enough for the average person to have a problem.

A plus for godaddy hosting is that they now offer a 'managed wordpress' hosting option, so that you don't have to do your own upgrades once you install WP. That option limits the widgets (plug ins or options) that you can use but not enough for the average person to have a problem..
muirford said:
A plus for godaddy hosting is that they now offer a 'managed wordpress' hosting option, so that you don't have to do your own upgrades once you install WP. That option limits the widgets (plug ins or options) that you can use but not enough for the average person to have a problem.
I usually hold off on WP updates until all my plugins say they're compatible, but I've noticed that if I wait too long, WP updates itself! Maybe I have that OK'd in the settings somewhere. I don't know. But for me it's automatic, and working OK.
But I also use Godaddy, and like it a lot!

A plus for godaddy hosting is that they now offer a 'managed wordpress' hosting option, so that you don't have to do your own upgrades once you install WP. That option limits the widgets (plug ins or options) that you can use but not enough for the average person to have a problem..
muirford said:
I usually hold off on WP updates until all my plugins say they're compatible, but I've noticed that if I wait too long, WP updates itself! Maybe I have that OK'd in the settings somewhere. I don't know. But for me it's automatic, and working OK.
Think about version 3.8 it set up so that future security updates are automatic.
i never have to update client sites any longer... Yeah!

muirford said:
Think about version 3.8 it set up so that future security updates are automatic.
EmptyNest said:
The updates are automatic for smaller updates, like from 3.9 to 3.9.1, but it won't update it to 4.0.

muirford said:
Not really sure how people can still trust GoDaddy with their domains or websites, with all the bad stuff that they did, stealing domains, holding them for ransom, etc.

muirford said:
Not really sure how people can still trust GoDaddy with their domains or websites, with all the bad stuff that they did, stealing domains, holding them for ransom, etc.
I was going to keep my mouth shut..Go dad dy
I usually tell clients to stay away from...besides they do shared hosting and sometimes that is NOT a good thing. Though I do have to admit. A recent client of mine is with them till 2020 and would not change.
Their customer support for her site helping me get it changed to WP was actually good.

Back