How Was Everything

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't ask but wonder if I should. Mostly because I'm a complete chicken. I don't want to hear how awful something was while I'm looking at the person. Email and tell me. Please. But, I've also stopped asking in the email because I was getting the oddest comments about what we should have done differently.
You know what I find weird? When you've done the whole check-out thing, said goodbye, gotten the keys, guests are at the door and they just look at you. I always wonder what it is I'm supposed to say at that point..
Morticia said:
When you've done the whole check-out thing, said goodbye, gotten the keys, guests are at the door and they just look at you. I always wonder what it is I'm supposed to say at that point.
Oh, I hate that too! It's so awkward. How many times can you say thank you and have a great day?
Breakfast Diva said:
Morticia said:
When you've done the whole check-out thing, said goodbye, gotten the keys, guests are at the door and they just look at you. I always wonder what it is I'm supposed to say at that point.
Oh, I hate that too! It's so awkward. How many times can you say thank you and have a great day?
"where are you heading today?"
"drive carefully"

Most guests turn in their keys saying "Oh it was just what we needed - everything was wonderful - we had a great time..." I don't normally question their sincerity, because they usually want to chat a bit and seem pleased.
Last weekend I happened to ask a guest "How was everything?" She gave a weird smile then proceeded to say how wonderful it was, etc. When I went to clean the room, I found that nail polish had been spilled all over the coffee table. In an attempt to clean it up, they ruined 3 washcloths (and the table). Also a knob was broken off in the shower so they had shut the water off at the valve because it wouldn't turn off. A heads up for both of these circumstances would have been appreciated.
The table I was going to repaint anyway, but they didn't know that, and could have asked for help. The shower knob would be something I ordinarily would think of as something I should apologize to her about if it caused inconvenience to them. However, not a peep out of them other than saying how great a time they had.
I'm surprised they checked out in person because they could have left the key in the room and not had to face me at all. Some people I just don't get..
crazy!!!
Did you charge the credit card?

When they come down for breakfast, I usually say, "I hope you slept well." When they say they did not, it is usually due to some problem they have or "you know how it is, it was not my bed". Most often though I hear, "I had the best night's sleep I have had in a while." I think that ina addition to our beds being comfortable, it is they are away from the stresses they have at home. They are relaxed.Their only stress is to be in the dining room at the time they told me they wanted breakfast.
I often ask where is the next stop and suggest things to see/do on that route or tell them about something that is just a tad off route but how to get back to original route without back-tracking. It helps that I live in a small State and know the roads and where they go.

Why would you even want to go there right at the moment they are leaving. Sorry I am diametrically opposed to this idea.
I remember asking guests how they slept at breakfast "Did you sleep well" and would hear the crappy answers and quite frankly it ruined my day. A week or two ago I asked a guest "Did you enjoy your dinner last night?" and got the whole 9 yards, I prob told you about it here. She went from there to why don't we have a coffee shop open on sundays for her, it is ridiculous that a town this size doesn't have one. Okay lady shall we now discuss religion? People have coffee with their families and go to church on sundays... they don't go to coffee shops. Which, by the way wouldn't do you any harm, you might want to cross that threshold yourself once in a while... (see what I mean! haha)
So you see the problem. How about we thank them for their business, we're glad they chose us and we hope they will consider visiting us again soon! Or we can ask and feign interest like we are so sorry they didn't have great service or the coffee shop is not open on sundays...oh you poor things!
shades_smile.gif
That's the one thing I DO ask about! How was dinner? Where did you go? What did you have?
Morticia said:
That's the one thing I DO ask about! How was dinner? Where did you go? What did you have?
Me too. How was the concert? Where did you end up eating? And Did you sleep ok?
When they leave, it's 'I hope you enjoyed your stay!'
I don't ask if people slept OK. I don't sleep very well at all and I'm not going to get into that with an innkeeper because I know they'll worry unless I explain that I don't sleep well at home, either.
I stayed at a place that had numerous problems and the innkeepers were very insistent to know how the stay was (first night). I picked one thing and told them the bed was lopsided and I kept rolling into the middle. (I was by myself.)
When I came back that night they greeted me with, "we inspected the bed thoroughly, there's nothing wrong with it!"
So I didn't bother to mention the moldy shower curtain or that the shower drain backed up. Figured I was wrong about that, too.

Most guests turn in their keys saying "Oh it was just what we needed - everything was wonderful - we had a great time..." I don't normally question their sincerity, because they usually want to chat a bit and seem pleased.
Last weekend I happened to ask a guest "How was everything?" She gave a weird smile then proceeded to say how wonderful it was, etc. When I went to clean the room, I found that nail polish had been spilled all over the coffee table. In an attempt to clean it up, they ruined 3 washcloths (and the table). Also a knob was broken off in the shower so they had shut the water off at the valve because it wouldn't turn off. A heads up for both of these circumstances would have been appreciated.
The table I was going to repaint anyway, but they didn't know that, and could have asked for help. The shower knob would be something I ordinarily would think of as something I should apologize to her about if it caused inconvenience to them. However, not a peep out of them other than saying how great a time they had.
I'm surprised they checked out in person because they could have left the key in the room and not had to face me at all. Some people I just don't get..
crazy!!!
TheBeachHouse said:
crazy!!!
You do know that most cc companies won't side with you if you charge the guest's card for damages and the guest files a chargeback? You need the guest's signature and most times even with that the cc company will side with their customer rather than you.

Why would you even want to go there right at the moment they are leaving. Sorry I am diametrically opposed to this idea.
I remember asking guests how they slept at breakfast "Did you sleep well" and would hear the crappy answers and quite frankly it ruined my day. A week or two ago I asked a guest "Did you enjoy your dinner last night?" and got the whole 9 yards, I prob told you about it here. She went from there to why don't we have a coffee shop open on sundays for her, it is ridiculous that a town this size doesn't have one. Okay lady shall we now discuss religion? People have coffee with their families and go to church on sundays... they don't go to coffee shops. Which, by the way wouldn't do you any harm, you might want to cross that threshold yourself once in a while... (see what I mean! haha)
So you see the problem. How about we thank them for their business, we're glad they chose us and we hope they will consider visiting us again soon! Or we can ask and feign interest like we are so sorry they didn't have great service or the coffee shop is not open on sundays...oh you poor things!
shades_smile.gif
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
If I have said it once I have said it a million times. People are in a dog eat dog world every day of their lives, even their home-life may be in turmoil (as the statistic show with divorce rates skyrocketing = broken homes and lives)...
Coming to our inn is a soft place to fall, and having a genuinely kind person welcome them and care about their stay speaks volumes. This is something most people never experience in their day to day. I believe the word would be "Comfort" and this has nothing to do with bed firmness or thread count.
Whether you want it or not, this is a very personal business, people sleep in your beds and drink your coffee the morning after...
I don't want to be the one to discuss the poor service where they dined, or hear them gripe about what they did or did not do. If they tell me, that is fine of course, it is part of the whole thing we do. But I know I am not the norm, having them enjoy themselves, and as the old saying applies
"Come on in and take a load off..."
I applaud each of you who does this. It is more than being a hotelier, it is the real meaning of hospitality.
heart.gif

hos·pi·tal·i·ty
ˌhäspəˈtalədē/
noun
the friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests, visitors, or strangers.
key word - HOSPITAL
late Middle English: from Old French hospitalite, from Latin hospitalitas, from hospitalis ‘hospitable’ (see hospital).

shades_smile.gif
Morticia said:
I don't ask if people slept OK. I don't sleep very well at all and I'm not going to get into that with an innkeeper because I know they'll worry unless I explain that I don't sleep well at home, either.
I stayed at a place that had numerous problems and the innkeepers were very insistent to know how the stay was (first night). I picked one thing and told them the bed was lopsided and I kept rolling into the middle. (I was by myself.)
When I came back that night they greeted me with, "we inspected the bed thoroughly, there's nothing wrong with it!"
So I didn't bother to mention the moldy shower curtain or that the shower drain backed up. Figured I was wrong about that, too.
Morticia said:
Had I been the innkeeper, and had I concluded the bed was fine and you were wrong, I still would not have said that. I would say something like, "We took a look at the bed and I think you'll sleep much better tonight!"

shades_smile.gif
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
If I have said it once I have said it a million times. People are in a dog eat dog world every day of their lives, even their home-life may be in turmoil (as the statistic show with divorce rates skyrocketing = broken homes and lives)...
Coming to our inn is a soft place to fall, and having a genuinely kind person welcome them and care about their stay speaks volumes. This is something most people never experience in their day to day. I believe the word would be "Comfort" and this has nothing to do with bed firmness or thread count.
Whether you want it or not, this is a very personal business, people sleep in your beds and drink your coffee the morning after...
I don't want to be the one to discuss the poor service where they dined, or hear them gripe about what they did or did not do. If they tell me, that is fine of course, it is part of the whole thing we do. But I know I am not the norm, having them enjoy themselves, and as the old saying applies
I applaud each of you who does this. It is more than being a hotelier, it is the real meaning of hospitality.
heart.gif

hos·pi·tal·i·ty
ˌhäspəˈtalədē/
noun
the friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests, visitors, or strangers.
key word - HOSPITAL
late Middle English: from Old French hospitalite, from Latin hospitalitas, from hospitalis ‘hospitable’ (see hospital).
These are merely conversational gambits. If it's Gomez he asks how they like rental car. Or, he gets going on politics, which I really try to head off.
If we said nothing at all but waited for the guest to open the conversion you know where that goes - how long have you been doing this, do you make any money, how do you go on vacation, when is your busy season?
I'm almost tired of answering those questions. ;-)
Where are you going today? Do you need directions? Those questions also allow us to plan our day. If the guests are just going to 'relax' we know we're not cleaning that room. If they're going to the national park we know we won't see them again until midnight and they're leaving right after breakfast.
Lots of guests have Point A and Point B all lined up. They drive by a million places that they'd probably wished to know about but they're 'local' things or poorly funded and don't advertise.
Have you seen...? is another one I try. (Gomez doesn't ask where they're going or what they're doing. He knows one thing to suggest. I'm the only Judy McCoy on this boat.)

shades_smile.gif
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Had I been the innkeeper, and had I concluded the bed was fine and you were wrong, I still would not have said that. I would say something like, "We took a look at the bed and I think you'll sleep much better tonight!"
And that's the 'correct' way to respond! Not making the guest feel stupid, and then angry. Especially when I was hanging on to the edge of the bed that night, too.
And they asked in the morning, quite smugly, if the bed was ok now.
of course it was ok now, you taught me quite well not to say anything that didn't agree with your notions.
And, right, I never stayed there again. (I came home and tested all the beds here!)

shades_smile.gif
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
heart.gif

hos·pi·tal·i·ty
ˌhäspəˈtalədē/
noun
key word - HOSPITAL
Have read some of your posts. You really get it.

Small motel, checkout procedure is just leave the key in the door on departure, of course I enjoy the guests so if I see folks out I'm usually there running my mouth, thanking them for staying with us, asking if they slept well and wishing them a safe trip, most seem happy, I'd rather them tell me if there was a problem than post it in a review..
JimBoone said:
..... I'd rather them tell me if there was a problem than post it in a review.
thumbs_up.gif
My thoughts too!

no, i don't think i ever asked how was everything? it was 'thank you for staying with us ... i hope you'll come again.' i'd hand them a free postcard and tell them we'd appreciate a review (we got so few!) if there was an issue, they'd usually tell me right then. mostly, thankfully, it was compliments.
i did have a suggestion box which gave me some insight. one suggestion was to add a light where we didn't have one. i went into the room and he was right - got a light in there asap and sent him a thanks and a 'coupon' for a percentage off his next stay.

no, i don't think i ever asked how was everything? it was 'thank you for staying with us ... i hope you'll come again.' i'd hand them a free postcard and tell them we'd appreciate a review (we got so few!) if there was an issue, they'd usually tell me right then. mostly, thankfully, it was compliments.
i did have a suggestion box which gave me some insight. one suggestion was to add a light where we didn't have one. i went into the room and he was right - got a light in there asap and sent him a thanks and a 'coupon' for a percentage off his next stay..
seashanty said:
i did have a suggestion box which gave me some insight. one suggestion was to add a light where we didn't have one. i went into the room and he was right - got a light in there asap and sent him a thanks and a 'coupon' for a percentage off his next stay.
We asked for suggestions last year when we first started. Got some good and some less good. The best was the woman who suggested café curtains for the bathroom window instead of blinds. The kind of thing you would notice if you stayed in your own room (like you are supposed to if you read ANY book on running an inn.)
One was that the faucet was such that you could hardly put your hands under it. We have since replaced every single faucet in the house.
Another - the refrigerator was loud. Every single refrigerator is new now.
Again, we got away with a few things by loudly declaring that we'd only owned the place less than a year. You can't use that one forever.

Usually when the guests come down for breakfast and are getting ready to eat I just ask them how them "How was the room for you? " Or "How did you sleep last night? " It has allowed them to feel comfortable in telling me is something is wrong with the room if there is something wrong. I would rather find out while they were here rather than afterwards and help make it better. Sometime something breaks or a light bulb is out. They sometimes tell me they could not figure how to turn on the shower….it is one that has a pull out knob. Most of the time they like everything. It just makes me feel better to ask so that I know that I have done everything I can to make their stay a good one.

shades_smile.gif
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
All our rooms have only one bed but our ensuite room is large enough to accommodate a cot (for an extra charge) for three people.
Now I know our beds are comfortable. 99% tell me it's been the best sleep they've had, unless they have problems sleeping, period. So, I'm always asking if they've had a good night's sleep.
Last summer, I had last minute guests--two women and one of the women's teenage son. They called while they were on the road and I explained what I could do for them. Great, that's fine.
So the next morning, I ask in all confidence to the first one down for breakfast (the heftier female of the two adults), how was your sleep? Oh, not so great, I had problems falling asleep. So, taken somewhat aback, I didn't ask the other guest or her son how they slept.
Well, in the conversation as they were leaving, it seems the mom and son slept together in the bed, and the larger of the three, on the cot. I didn't see that one coming. That taught me two things. First, let them tell me how they slept, and be very clear that it is a 'cot' that I am setting up. She bent the legs on the cot and DH had to repair it. No wonder she was uncomfortable. She was slowly sinking into the floor.

I don't ask but wonder if I should. Mostly because I'm a complete chicken. I don't want to hear how awful something was while I'm looking at the person. Email and tell me. Please. But, I've also stopped asking in the email because I was getting the oddest comments about what we should have done differently.
You know what I find weird? When you've done the whole check-out thing, said goodbye, gotten the keys, guests are at the door and they just look at you. I always wonder what it is I'm supposed to say at that point..
Morticia said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Morticia said:
"drive carefully"
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Morticia said:
"drive carefully"
No, this happens after you've already been through all that nice chit chat. They just stand there and stare at you. Basically you have to push them out the door. (not literally). There are some very awkward people that just don't how to exit.

Morticia said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Morticia said:
"drive carefully"
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Morticia said:
"drive carefully"
No, this happens after you've already been through all that nice chit chat. They just stand there and stare at you. Basically you have to push them out the door. (not literally). There are some very awkward people that just don't how to exit.
Breakfast Diva said:
Literally. Walk toward the door while herding them.
We have repeat guests who love to chat, we know this, we're ready for it. But the ones who just stare. Oy!

Morticia said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Morticia said:
"drive carefully"
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Morticia said:
"drive carefully"
Breakfast Diva said:
We have repeat guests who love to chat, we know this, we're ready for it. But the ones who just stare. Oy!
Morticia said:
Breakfast Diva said:
At some point you just have to laugh. I've got the front door open with the door knob in my hand. They're still just standing there. We need one of those big cue cards "Exit now".

Morticia said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Morticia said:
"drive carefully"
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Morticia said:
"drive carefully"
Breakfast Diva said:
Morticia said:
Breakfast Diva said:
At some point you just have to laugh. I've got the front door open with the door knob in my hand. They're still just standing there. We need one of those big cue cards "Exit now".
Breakfast Diva said:
Morticia said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes, I know what you mean. I just want to think that they don't want the time to end. - Usually that means they loved the visit.

It is this awkward time when DH will offer to help with their bags.

haha - i just remembered something. a couple checking out both 'testy' at breakfast had morphed into 'nasty' by checkout ... i asked if all was okay. and she launched into 'it would have been if he hadn't snored like a freight train all night' and his rebuttal.
omy. they argued all the way out to their car about who was the snorer. well, i could hear them snoring from the hallway, complete with honks and snorts and whistles, so they were BOTH loud.
i think it was the first time they had slept together? anyway, it did not go well.
bye bye

Back