I don't want that

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious, male or female?.
Male. But the female version, same age group, was here the day before.
Would not eat anything but oatmeal and commented that the reason so many older people are fat is because they eat food like what we were serving.
Water off a duck's back after 10 years of listening to this. ;-)
Reminds me of the stick we met on a cruise who wouldn't eat anything with fat in it. The .1% fat yogurt was too fatty for her. I just wondered how the poop managed to leave... then again, she was 45 lbs soaking wet, maybe it never did.
Where do you think her brown eyes came from?
wink_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
Where do you think her brown eyes came from?
wink_smile.gif
Nearly choked to death on my coffee!!!!!! LMAO

I just had a grumpy 75 year old man. He SNAPPED at another guest about them coming to the wrong room door when they were trying to check-in (they did not know any better). He told me to cancel breakfast for him and when he checked out didn't even say goodbye or anything! The wife left a nice note in the room though..
Someone should have brought him a Pamprin :)
(I hope Joey was drinking coffee when reading that, and the screen is now entirely covered in coffee!)

Dare I ask how old was this guest????
Old enough to know better!.
Guesstimate? 80. Old enough to know better but probably coddled for decades.
Oh...grumpy old people are the worst! If they're youngsters, you can get away with giving them a bit of an raised eyebrow. But elderly.... not sure what I would have done. I might have said "Alrighty then, moving on..." in a nauseatingly sweet voice -just to irritate him a bit.
BananaE29 said:
Oh...grumpy old people are the worst! If they're youngsters, you can get away with giving them a bit of an raised eyebrow. But elderly.... not sure what I would have done. I might have said "Alrighty then, moving on..." in a nauseatingly sweet voice -just to irritate him a bit.
Pretty much what I did. His wife piped right up that breakfast sounded wonderful.
If they hadn't been such pills from the get go I might have tried joking with him. As it was, I pointed to the cereal and said he should help himself. Then asked if he'd like a side of toast.
I firmly believe that a lot of grumpy people are that way in the hopes of ruining your day - their intent is to get a reaction out of you. By not responding to them in a similar fashion, or taking it a step further and being over-the-top nice to them, you win.
Oye...did I mention I moved to an area with a high number of retired, expats? Can you see the future posts coming?

Holy cow it is my week for geezers!
I usually don't have this kind of trouble with the older crowd, just my age seem to be the whiney ones.
First time I was able to get to the bathroom since 6 am this guy rings the doorbell. Then proceeds to tell me he'd been in his car for 2 hours and he kept ringing the bell but no one answered. He said he came to the screen door and yelled in the house.
I answered the door because it's pouring outside. Not because it was check in time. Only to be meet with a complaint.
I explained we're usually not here until check in time but he just pooh-poohed that.
Where are they coming from?

I usually don't have this kind of trouble with the older crowd, just my age seem to be the whiney ones.
First time I was able to get to the bathroom since 6 am this guy rings the doorbell. Then proceeds to tell me he'd been in his car for 2 hours and he kept ringing the bell but no one answered. He said he came to the screen door and yelled in the house.
I answered the door because it's pouring outside. Not because it was check in time. Only to be meet with a complaint.
I explained we're usually not here until check in time but he just pooh-poohed that.
Where are they coming from?.
Have you tried the sign on the door that says "Early check-in, $25. Ring to accept charge."?

Have you tried the sign on the door that says "Early check-in, $25. Ring to accept charge."?
Jon Sable said:
I honestly don't mind the people who come to the door and request an early check in. Most start with, we know we're early. (If I get to my destination before 3 or 4 I always ask if I can check in.)
What I mind is the ones who call ahead for early check in and then don't arrive until after 3. So that I'm stuck at home and can't get errands done. THAT is not cool.

Well it must be PITA GEEZER Week but you always have attracted them GGGRRRRRRR.
Nice you let him in out of the rain but...... Don't you have that sign out yet ?
closed.jpg

Nice you let him in out of the rain but...... Don't you have that sign out yet ?
closed.jpg

EmptyNest said:
closed.jpg
I demand a sign, I mean a photo of the sign. Maddie I want to see the sign! TAKE A PHOTO and POST IT HERE.
If I were a poker player I would say it is time to "show me your hand"

maybe he has dementia -- hence the quick nice comment by the wife.
or he's just a cranky old *@!

or he's just a cranky old *@!.
seashanty said:
More likely the wife is just used to having to smooth things over because he treats everybody this way. Poor, nice lady.

Nope. Just the regular sign that says come back at 3.
This guy actually said he thought maybe we'd gone out of business. Really? Since you made your Rez yesterday? I went out of business?

closed.jpg

EmptyNest said:
closed.jpg
I demand a sign, I mean a photo of the sign. Maddie I want to see the sign! TAKE A PHOTO and POST IT HERE.
If I were a poker player I would say it is time to "show me your hand"
It's still pouring buckets and the sign is away now. I'll take a photo tomorrow.

Jon Sable said:
I honestly don't mind the people who come to the door and request an early check in. Most start with, we know we're early. (If I get to my destination before 3 or 4 I always ask if I can check in.)
What I mind is the ones who call ahead for early check in and then don't arrive until after 3. So that I'm stuck at home and can't get errands done. THAT is not cool.
I wish I didn't mind. But I really do. I have the ironing board set up until 2pm. There are piles of laundry everywhere. If I let guests in i can't do the whole tour because the ironing board is in the guest area.
And think what that first impression is for the guests. Sweaty innkeeper with laundry everywhere. It's a mess.
Then they don't know where things are and they act stupid later on. Oh we didn't know we could use that. Oh we didn't know where the milk was.
I'm sweating, I haven't had lunch, I need my quiet time!
It's especially bad in this horrid humidity. It's easier in the winter when I can stay cooler.
DH can do the early check ins. He just pushes thru it and then falls asleep at 2pm! If he's not out getting groceries or doing the dump run or going to bjs or whatever gets him out of the house everyday.
We finished rooms at 1 today. At 1:30 I was ironing and dh was getting groceries. It's 6:30 now and I still haven't swept the crumbs from breakfast off the floor! Not happening now.

This guy actually said he thought maybe we'd gone out of business. Really? Since you made your Rez yesterday? I went out of business?
Madeleine said:
No, but you make me WANT to go out of business!
wink_smile.gif

Ironing? I think you can find a way to stop that and still keep revenues where they are now.
Here's how I go wrinkle-free without ironing:
  • Comphy sheets +
  • Enough pads on the mattress that bottom sheet pulls tight tight tight +
  • A foot board with the mattress snugged tight against it. This lets me tuck the duvet down at the foot of the bed so it's pulled, you guessed it, tight tight tight.
I think it was Innkeep who commented on this when she stayed at my place. If you make it where you can pull everything tight, and use microfiber sheets, you won't see wrinkles. No iron needed.
Now you're about to disrespect microfiber sheets and say there may be a hair caught in them. I can only say that I've been using them over a year now, with high year-round occupancy, and they have been wonderful. I haven't had problems with hairs. I watch for them, and if I see one (very rare), I make it go away. MUCH easier than ironing!
Next we'll discuss humidity and the real value of air conditioning...

wink_smile.gif

Madeleine said:

Jon Sable said:
I simply do not answer the door before 3. My check in times are 4-7, but I'm ready by 3. If the bell rings, I just do not answer. I actually rarely have early check ins - most call ahead of time and ask if they can. If I'm ready, then certainly, I'll check them in. It clears up my day. But I see nothing wrong with not answering the door before the scheduled check in time. It's like trying the door of a store prior to opening - it's locked, because well...it's not time to open yet!

Ironing? I think you can find a way to stop that and still keep revenues where they are now.
  • Comphy sheets +
  • A foot board with the mattress snugged tight against it. This lets me tuck the duvet down at the foot of the bed so it's pulled, you guessed it, tight tight tight.
I think it was Innkeep who commented on this when she stayed at my place. If you make it where you can pull everything tight, and use microfiber sheets, you won't see wrinkles. No iron needed.
Now you're about to disrespect microfiber sheets and say there may be a hair caught in them. I can only say that I've been using them over a year now, with high year-round occupancy, and they have been wonderful. I haven't had problems with hairs. I watch for them, and if I see one (very rare), I make it go away. MUCH easier than ironing!
Next we'll discuss humidity and the real value of air conditioning....
As a woman of a certain age I hate microfiber. I need cold, crisp cotton. All year.
And it really doesn't matter if I'm ironing or doing my nails, go away and leave me alone until 3 pm!
Like jb says, "you don't get into the store until it opens."
And, I hate A/C also. We're not getting split systems so it's noisy and cold blowing directly on me. I am miserable with the air on. But then we're back to that woman of a certain age thing. ;-)

• Comphy sheets +
As a woman of a certain age I hate microfiber. I need cold, crisp cotton. All year.
And it really doesn't matter if I'm ironing or doing my nails, go away and leave me alone until 3 pm!
And, I hate A/C also. We're not getting split systems so it's noisy and cold blowing directly on me. I am miserable with the air on. But then we're back to that woman of a certain age thing. ;-)
Madeleine said:
Response expected and accepted. As one who loves microfiber and A/C, my sympathy that your Yankee ways and stubbornness make life harder than it needs to be ;-)
Think of it this way: you get to feel sorry me that I'm suffering with un-done nails, wrinkle free unironed sheets, time on my hands, and dry 73 degree air!

• Comphy sheets +
Madeleine said:
Response expected and accepted. As one who loves microfiber and A/C, my sympathy that your Yankee ways and stubbornness make life harder than it needs to be ;-)
Think of it this way: you get to feel sorry me that I'm suffering with un-done nails, wrinkle free unironed sheets, time on my hands, and dry 73 degree air!
What I really need are employees. If I had good ones, who did all the work, I'd be the lady of leisure I was born to be.
Alas.
Anyhoo, there are no guests in my dining room right now so I have to go sweep up this morning's crumbs...

Back