Lessons From The Road

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so glad you were able to get away. Also glad you were able to explore some other B&B offerings.
#1 on my list is that if you don't meet any other innmates you will miss out on so much comradery. Meeting innmates and getting that hug is very valuable. Top.

Seeing their place makes a world of difference, you may finally "get it" when they talk about people pushing their greasy noses up against their innkeeper quarter windows. Oh! Now I see why they do that. Before you didn't, and it made no sense, keep them out, you say, what is wrong with YOUR guests, you say.
In reply to ICE:
#2 there is a FB group for innkeepers (prob more than a few of them in reality)
And yes you can create one any time you wish and invite and decline whomever you wish, and not have everything on the www public view. Or have people trashing you, have people being full on butt-heads and everyone else hand's tied to respond. Make it private and by invitation only.
Create one, invite people. moderate it, admin it or just have everyone equal. You will lose the search benefits of this forum, and the archiving, but you will gain some freedom, and probably some annoyance as well. You will also lose the spammers. The fakers. Those only here to sell or use your words for their next book or article..
Temp Innsanity said:
I am so glad you were able to get away. Also glad you were able to explore some other B&B offerings.
#1 on my list is that if you don't meet any other innmates you will miss out on so much comradery. Meeting innmates and getting that hug is very valuable. Top.

Seeing their place makes a world of difference, you may finally "get it" when they talk about people pushing their greasy noses up against their innkeeper quarter windows. Oh! Now I see why they do that. Before you didn't, and it made no sense, keep them out, you say, what is wrong with YOUR guests, you say.
In reply to ICE:
#2 there is a FB group for innkeepers (prob more than a few of them in reality)
And yes you can create one any time you wish and invite and decline whomever you wish, and not have everything on the www public view. Or have people trashing you, have people being full on butt-heads and everyone else hand's tied to respond. Make it private and by invitation only.
Create one, invite people. moderate it, admin it or just have everyone equal. You will lose the search benefits of this forum, and the archiving, but you will gain some freedom, and probably some annoyance as well. You will also lose the spammers. The fakers. Those only here to sell or use your words for their next book or article.
I know about those groups and I "joined" them. But it doesn't help me to know if they are on here.
Ice said:
I know about those groups and I "joined" them. But it doesn't help me to know if they are on here.
I suppose you could just ask, on those groups. Those who don't mind telling, can. Those who do mind, won't. And there it lies.
Arks said:
Ice said:
I suppose you could just ask, on those groups. Those who don't mind telling, can. Those who do mind, won't. And there it lies.
I'm on there and here, but it doesn't help to know that without knowing who I really am on here.
Right now there's a bit of a kerfuffle going on because not every innkeeper has their inn listed as their place of employment or that they are the owner on their personal page.
Some people think that means we're hiding something. I don't feel that way but I'm one of those people who tries to keep the inn and my personal life somewhat separate. I don't promote the inn on my personal page and I don't post all my family stuff on the inn page.

Picture1021151716_1.jpg
This was my experience on the road this week. Never made it where I was going... Left it in NYC and got a rental and came back to the inn.

Picture1021151716_1.jpg
This was my experience on the road this week. Never made it where I was going... Left it in NYC and got a rental and came back to the inn..
Know that one well. We did that a year and a half ago to our motor home driving through CA
. this year hubby broke his ankle and he was flew home while I stayed behind till driver came

Picture1021151716_1.jpg
This was my experience on the road this week. Never made it where I was going... Left it in NYC and got a rental and came back to the inn..
Know that one well. We did that a year and a half ago to our motor home driving through CA
. this year hubby broke his ankle and he was flew home while I stayed behind till driver came
Flower said:
Oh dear! I hope he is healing well and not too much a grouch.

Picture1021151716_1.jpg
Oh Duff, so sorry. Hope the aches, pains and insurance woes are over soon.
heart.gif

Picture1021151716_1.jpg
Flower said:
Oh dear! I hope he is healing well and not too much a grouch.
Did you escape whip lash or injury?
Had to delay start this year as foot and lower leg, was not ready for many of the stairs we have . They also found out he had AFB. It has taken 6 months to heal the rest will take up to a year. But he can walk on it and is happy.
Was any of hurt ? before and after.?

Picture1021151716_1.jpg
Wowzer! Air bags deployed and everything. Hope you're OK.

Wow. You can't beat seeing other B&Bs for giving you ideas and for seeing what you do better than them.
My rooms books are a word document that I've built up over the years. I print it onto quality paper, print a cover on light white card and assemble in a comb with a sheet of acetate on top and back to protect.
I reprint each winter as they get tatty.
11133995_826237854078139_58.jpg

Wow. You can't beat seeing other B&Bs for giving you ideas and for seeing what you do better than them.
My rooms books are a word document that I've built up over the years. I print it onto quality paper, print a cover on light white card and assemble in a comb with a sheet of acetate on top and back to protect.
My room books are bound exactly like Highlands John's (but with 8-1/2 x 11 rather than A4 of course). I'm amazed how often I find rings on the cover where people put their drinks down on them. Luckily, with the plastic cover the rings wipe right off. Meanwhile, I rarely see signs they used the coasters I put all over the place!
Highlands John said:

question for you all. . . I have no ideal who has what property, lost track years ago! ( and I'm sure others are the same way) Anyway my question is could we set up a Facebook group and have a few of you who "knows" who everyone is and then we could go there and find out..
Ice said:
question for you all. . . I have no ideal who has what property, lost track years ago! ( and I'm sure others are the same way) Anyway my question is could we set up a Facebook group and have a few of you who "knows" who everyone is and then we could go there and find out.
I would love that. I've had a visit and a courier 'hello' and honestly, I still can't figure out how they knew it was me! :)
And we have guests ask us where to stay in Maine or southern Mass often.
TheBeachHouse said:
Ice said:
question for you all. . . I have no ideal who has what property, lost track years ago! ( and I'm sure others are the same way) Anyway my question is could we set up a Facebook group and have a few of you who "knows" who everyone is and then we could go there and find out.
I would love that. I've had a visit and a courier 'hello' and honestly, I still can't figure out how they knew it was me! :)
I'm pretty sure waaaaay long ago you posted your website (which we hastily tore to shreds) and that's how some of us know who you are. (Website is much better now.) ;-)
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Ice said:
I'm pretty sure waaaaay long ago you posted your website (which we hastily tore to shreds) and that's how some of us know who you are. (Website is much better now.) ;-)
You all have good memories. Or good recordkeeping skills! :)

We do something a bit more formal, using an 8"x8" faux suede binder like this. We put our logo in clear window along with the name of the room that the binder is associated with. We use brass tabs for each section inside: Welcome, About the Inn, About your room, About Breakfast, About the Area etc. It is very well received and looks polished and professional sitting on the bed at check-in.

Picture1021151716_1.jpg
OMG, so glad you came out of it better than your vehicle did! Time for a rest...and a big bowl of ice cream to soothe your nerves.

Back