Lessons From The Road

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picture1021151716_1.jpg
This was my experience on the road this week. Never made it where I was going... Left it in NYC and got a rental and came back to the inn..
Just glad you are ok! looks awful! shows you how important safety features are when choosing a car.

Wow. You can't beat seeing other B&Bs for giving you ideas and for seeing what you do better than them.
My rooms books are a word document that I've built up over the years. I print it onto quality paper, print a cover on light white card and assemble in a comb with a sheet of acetate on top and back to protect.
I reprint each winter as they get tatty.
11133995_826237854078139_58.jpg
My room books are bound exactly like Highlands John's (but with 8-1/2 x 11 rather than A4 of course). I'm amazed how often I find rings on the cover where people put their drinks down on them. Luckily, with the plastic cover the rings wipe right off. Meanwhile, I rarely see signs they used the coasters I put all over the place!
Highlands John said:
My rooms books are a word document that I've built up over the years. I print it onto quality paper, print a cover on light white card and assemble in a comb with a sheet of acetate on top and back to protect.
Arks said:
My room books are bound exactly like Highlands John's (but with 8-1/2 x 11 rather than A4 of course). I'm amazed how often I find rings on the cover where people put their drinks down on them. Luckily, with the plastic cover the rings wipe right off. Meanwhile, I rarely see signs they used the coasters I put all over the place!
Highlands John said:
Exactly, same here. Why would you do that. Use something that has clearly taken some time to put together for your benefit as a coaster and not use the coaster supplied.

Wow. You can't beat seeing other B&Bs for giving you ideas and for seeing what you do better than them.
We do something a bit more formal, using an 8"x8" faux suede binder like this. We put our logo in clear window along with the name of the room that the binder is associated with. We use brass tabs for each section inside: Welcome, About the Inn, About your room, About Breakfast, About the Area etc. It is very well received and looks polished and professional sitting on the bed at check-in.
Don't you find, as me and arks, that people use them as a coaster?

We do something a bit more formal, using an 8"x8" faux suede binder like this. We put our logo in clear window along with the name of the room that the binder is associated with. We use brass tabs for each section inside: Welcome, About the Inn, About your room, About Breakfast, About the Area etc. It is very well received and looks polished and professional sitting on the bed at check-in.
No, they have been in use for 6 years and still look great. I just update pages for each room as needed and have added a few extra clear plastic pockets over the years as the information I include has expanded. Every room has multiple coasters and I put those little cocktail napkins out as well. For some reason, I have never seen anyone put anything on the welcome book...perhaps because the see through window on the front makes the front surface dip in right in the middle of the book.
We have gotten many compliments on those binders...both for the way they present the information and for the wealth of information they provide.

Picture1021151716_1.jpg
This was my experience on the road this week. Never made it where I was going... Left it in NYC and got a rental and came back to the inn..
Just glad you are ok! looks awful! shows you how important safety features are when choosing a car.
That was a 97 Honda. A SUV hit it once. Just left a couple scratches and a pucker on my car's bumper.... SUV crumbled apart. GO Honda!!!!

Highlands John said:
Don't get me going on coasters!
We have a small, laminated card on the dresser that we sit a gift set on that we get from a local store. The note explains the gift. That's where I find glasses and bottles. There or on top of the guest books that are for guests to write in.
NEVER on the coasters.
I've seen the coasters stacked up on the dresser with glasses and bottles on the nightstands with nothing under them.
Or on top of a bit of newspaper that sticks to the nightstand or pulls up the paint.
I'm just going to get those ones arks mentioned before - simple cork mats.

No, they have been in use for 6 years and still look great. I just update pages for each room as needed and have added a few extra clear plastic pockets over the years as the information I include has expanded. Every room has multiple coasters and I put those little cocktail napkins out as well. For some reason, I have never seen anyone put anything on the welcome book...perhaps because the see through window on the front makes the front surface dip in right in the middle of the book.
We have gotten many compliments on those binders...both for the way they present the information and for the wealth of information they provide.
Thanks. Just ordered 4 of these. Decided to go with the leatherette thinking it will last longer than fabric. (Especially if used for a coaster
wink_smile.gif
)

Nice. I also enjoyed that everyone's room book was a little different as to what they put in it. Plus, at one B&B, there was a huge binder in the living room/common area that contained menus from just about every restaurant in town, and in that town, there are a lot.
In our town, there is only one.

Nice. I also enjoyed that everyone's room book was a little different as to what they put in it. Plus, at one B&B, there was a huge binder in the living room/common area that contained menus from just about every restaurant in town, and in that town, there are a lot.
We've only got one locally and I struggle to keep theirs up to date on our website.

Thanks. Just ordered 4 of these. Decided to go with the leatherette thinking it will last longer than fabric. (Especially if used for a coaster
wink_smile.gif
)
Lovely....your guests will love them!

Highlands John said:
We have a small, laminated card on the dresser that we sit a gift set on that we get from a local store. The note explains the gift. That's where I find glasses and bottles. There or on top of the guest books that are for guests to write in.
NEVER on the coasters.
I've seen the coasters stacked up on the dresser with glasses and bottles on the nightstands with nothing under them.
Or on top of a bit of newspaper that sticks to the nightstand or pulls up the paint.
Mort, I place a coaster in every location where guests might conceivably place a glass...on the piano, desk, night stand, dressers, bench, small ledge on bookcase...basically any horizontal surface. And under the coaster the surface has been covered in glass if at all possible.
Oh once in a while we will get the clod of a guest who leaves an ice cold container of OJ on the floor to drip condensation all over it, or the glass of wine carelessly placed on the piano without a coaster, but for the most part our guests do find the coasters and use them. I don't count the coasters but I do have a stash to replace any that have gone missing or were taken to the common room if it looks like the room inventory is getting a bit thin.

We've only got one locally and I struggle to keep theirs up to date on our website.
Highlands John said:
There's an Italian restaurant across the street from me, and they have not changed one single thing on their menu since they opened a few years ago. Everybody in town complains about it. No new additions, nothing. But it sure makes it easy for me to keep their up-to-date menu in my rooms :)

Here... that would be an entire LIBRARY!

Highlands John said:
NEVER on the coasters.
Mort, I place a coaster in every location where guests might conceivably place a glass...on the piano, desk, night stand, dressers, bench, small ledge on bookcase...basically any horizontal surface. And under the coaster the surface has been covered in glass if at all possible.
Oh once in a while we will get the clod of a guest who leaves an ice cold container of OJ on the floor to drip condensation all over it, or the glass of wine carelessly placed on the piano without a coaster, but for the most part our guests do find the coasters and use them. I don't count the coasters but I do have a stash to replace any that have gone missing or were taken to the common room if it looks like the room inventory is getting a bit thin.
Four in every room. Glasses are always set down right next to them. Thinking about the glass tops.

Highlands John said:
There's an Italian restaurant across the street from me, and they have not changed one single thing on their menu since they opened a few years ago. Everybody in town complains about it. No new additions, nothing. But it sure makes it easy for me to keep their up-to-date menu in my rooms :)
Just do not bother to order cheesecake for dessert - they do not have any.

Highlands John said:
NEVER on the coasters.
Four in every room. Glasses are always set down right next to them. Thinking about the glass tops.
It ain't cheap to cover with glass but it's a breeze to just spray with Win dex and, voila!, all the dust and finger prints are gone. We happen to like our antique mahogany pieces so it is self defense to keep them covered.

Highlands John said:
gillumhouse said:
I have told this story many times.

Nope, have NEVER had cheesecake but, after several years, it's still on the menu!! I cannot stand it when people care that little about their business. But the food they DO have is good, unless you like to try something new occasionally.

Highlands John said:
gillumhouse said:
How about one more time for my benefit..... I don't think I heard it.

Highlands John said:
gillumhouse said:
How about one more time for my benefit..... I don't think I heard it.
On Road Trip 2013 we stopped to see our friend in this town. Went to dinner at this restaurant. I ordered cheesecake for dessert and they said they were out of it. They NEVER had it to be out of it.

Back