New WP Website in the Works

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a good start. I would suggest a separate page for each guest room. Sell me those rooms...if you say there's a room overlooking a perennial garden, show a picture of the view. Bigger room pictures. When I click on the pictures of the room, it just gives me the same picture size.
Hmmm...I would like to see the header slightly narrower so you can showcase the photos more..
As Skamakowa says above, some folks like rooms all on one page. I don't have good quality pix for the rooms yet. As I say, at the moment converting old to new..
Hmmmm, not sure what you mean about which header being narrower? showcase which photos?
Thanks

I want 'eggs in a cloud' please. Looks yummy. and I love how the rooms look on the reservation page. I also like being able to see all the rooms on the same (rooms) page without having to click around.
Glad you brought up this topic now. I actually have some hours today to make some changes and fixes on ours. Hope I can remember everything 'nest told me about this. Your photos are so nice, love the wrap around tours of the downstairs. Made me want to see more upstairs.
Your food photos make me want lunch. Now..
Thank you for the ooos and yummies!
You can actually take the virtual tour upstairs too! Just point the compass towards the stairway. I actually have Virtual Tour pages for each room... Just haven't had time to do yet... wanted to know if I was on the right track.

It's a good start. I would suggest a separate page for each guest room. Sell me those rooms...if you say there's a room overlooking a perennial garden, show a picture of the view. Bigger room pictures. When I click on the pictures of the room, it just gives me the same picture size.
Hmmm...I would like to see the header slightly narrower so you can showcase the photos more..
Silly me! I have Virtual Tour Pages for all the rooms to click on!! Can't get better than that. Just haven't indexed them yet. Header, like the Title Header>

"Make Reservation" is almost impossible to read on the CHECK AVAILABILITY button.
I tried to make a reservation, picked a random date of 2/3/15-2/4/15 and was surprised when it said, "We do not accept same day reservations ONLINE." This is definitely not a same day reservation. But I notice it won't let me make a reservation on any other days either, so I guess it's just not "live" yet.
The virtual tour is great. What a house!
Don't really understand the gift certificate "ad" at the top of the policies page. Seems out of place, unless you make it look more like an ad.
I looked for prices on the Packages page. Maybe say "see package pricing on the Make Reservation page".
But 2,655 FB likes! Wow!.
I think I have a bigger version of the Availability Button.
Unless, you know a better way on RezKey to generically say "we do not accept same day reservations ONLINE" I can't figure out where to put it as General Info, such as the Sun-Thurs rates being lower.
Yeah, the GC was a throwback from my old Policies page. Doesn't need to be there now with it now appearing on the sidebar.
WAIT! I could easily make a reservation, putting in dates to RezKey. This is the same Page I've been using for a year now, with oodles of reservations.
Package pricing is in that Tab section at the bottom of the page. Just click on each room tab... No Like?
Thanks for the kudos re virtual tour, house, an FB likes! And all your input too!
Momma Smurf said:
Unless, you know a better way on RezKey to generically say "we do not accept same day reservations ONLINE" I can't figure out where to put it as General Info, such as the Sun-Thurs rates being lower.
Ah. I just saw that "same day" message pop up when I entered dates in Feb. and though it was wrongly saying I couldn't make a reservation for that date. General info goes up in the header, above where it shows the rooms, or it can do down in the footer below the rooms (but nobody would see it down there).
Momma Smurf said:
Package pricing is in that Tab section at the bottom of the page. Just click on each room tab... No Like?
Since I didn't know it was down there, some potential guests are likely to miss it too. Maybe in the description of each package, add "Package pricing is in the Tab section at the bottom of the page" or whatever.
See if what I did to better explain pricing on Package Page

First impression.. heading in the right direction
i would like to see a more compatible color background. this is pretty dark.
do not center text. makes it hard for eyes to follow
do not use all upper case for text. very hard to read.
i will look closer and comment further later.
EN: Switched background back to current website. Maddie: Sailboat has been our print background for years now. EN: by centering text, you mean do NOT Justify it?
Thanks
NO..that is worse. Green background with blue text area...clashes. I would go with a plain color darker blues rather than pattern. Gosh..there is so much more you can do with striking but I don't have time to share with you now. If you are going to change you need to go BIG. I can't share one I have been working on now but maybe he will in a few days. And will email to you.
But look at this one
See, I look at from my artist's point of view and see the green background picking up the green tones in all my pics... more contrast than clash, not so monochromatic. I have co-ordinating green fonts on my current page. Could change back.
Added green text font back in along with blue. Land and Sea... 'tis who we be!

I guess I'll comment more on the technical side :)
http://gtmetrix.com/reports/tanglewoodhall.com/b8l6LxMb
Page load time: 3.72s
Total page size: 1.80MB
Total number of requests: 75

This page has 15 external Javascript scripts. Try combining them into one.
This page has 12 external stylesheets. Try combining them into one.
I guess if you install and properly configure the WP Super Cache or W3 Total Cache plugin then your stats will go up a bit, but you still have a bit too many HTTP requests on the homepage, 75 is a bit excessive for such a small homepage.
The link :hover color in the footer (the golden color) makes the links completely unreadable.
If you insert small photos into the content, there is no need to link these images to themselves, like the photo of the house on the homepage. It adds an extra disturbance and a way for the visitor to close your website.
On the Gallery page please drop the photo carousel, it is confusing, annoying and too small.
Lose the text-align: justify, this is bad practice and will only hurt your business.
Personally I would increase the line-height for the paragraphs (currently you have 20px, 24-26 would be much better).
I would make the boats and the sand in the background a bit more opaque, so that they don't collide so much with the text color.
Copyright © 2014-2015 Inn at Tanglewood Hall. Having a range of years looks amateurish and is pretty much useless. Usually people have just the current year.
But all in all, it looks good, will get the job done. A bit of a retro feeling, probably is what you are going for :)

I guess if you install and properly configure the WP Super Cache or W3 Total Cache plugin then your stats will go up a bit, but you still have a bit too many HTTP requests on the homepage, 75 is a bit excessive for such a small homepage.
The link :hover color in the footer (the golden color) makes the links completely unreadable.
If you insert small photos into the content, there is no need to link these images to themselves, like the photo of the house on the homepage. It adds an extra disturbance and a way for the visitor to close your website.
On the Gallery page please drop the photo carousel, it is confusing, annoying and too small.
Lose the text-align: justify, this is bad practice and will only hurt your business.
Personally I would increase the line-height for the paragraphs (currently you have 20px, 24-26 would be much better).
I would make the boats and the sand in the background a bit more opaque, so that they don't collide so much with the text color.
Copyright © 2014-2015 Inn at Tanglewood Hall. Having a range of years looks amateurish and is pretty much useless. Usually people have just the current year.
But all in all, it looks good, will get the job done. A bit of a retro feeling, probably is what you are going for :).
Dumitri. There is not alot one can do to combine javascripts and stylesheets unless you are a programmer. This is a theme thing and amateur can't fix that. The theme designers claim they have some of the fastest loading. I am not a programmer and have no clue. I usually just use WP Super Cache because it is easier to understand than the other one.

Alright. Here goes. I think some of this has been said by others. I am posting here so that others will benefit.
Here are two others that are using similar style to you, but...taking advantage of the header widget which I think you should as well. I find you header too busy
one and two and three ( a restaurant site not b & b) but uses same theme. See how 2 & 3 utilized css for the phone number which on a smartphone does an auto dial.
First one using full width nivo slider, the other set similar to yours. I actually prefer now the full width screen with a revolution slider. You can do so much more with it.
I would do the rooms link as null and then put the actual page with all of them under it but not with ALL the information. Then create a page for EACH room. Make the photos LARGER and bullet statements about the room. See this site as an example.
The sidebar needs more information on it. It looks strange with just the 2 links. I think that gift certificate logo is very dated. I would prefer to see full width and put that info somewhere else. Also that availability image I believe is way too similar to Res Nex. Put the one in your footer there instead. It should be seen at the top and not as an after thought in the footer
on Packages page, why do you feature a food slider? It should be something to do with packages.
Gallery Page, lose the carousel in the slider area and put in a slider in the main section of the page. Make it so images can be opened to full size to view well.
Way too many reviews. I don't think reviews should merit a top position on the navigation bar. Also, use the testimonial short code from Striking it will present better. No side bar on this page. so confirms to me..you really don't need a sidebar.
Where is a contact link? I always think that needs to be upfront. Or you could put the contact form widget in the sidebar close to top.
Good luck.

Alright. Here goes. I think some of this has been said by others. I am posting here so that others will benefit.
Here are two others that are using similar style to you, but...taking advantage of the header widget which I think you should as well. I find you header too busy
one and two and three ( a restaurant site not b & b) but uses same theme. See how 2 & 3 utilized css for the phone number which on a smartphone does an auto dial.
First one using full width nivo slider, the other set similar to yours. I actually prefer now the full width screen with a revolution slider. You can do so much more with it.
I would do the rooms link as null and then put the actual page with all of them under it but not with ALL the information. Then create a page for EACH room. Make the photos LARGER and bullet statements about the room. See this site as an example.
The sidebar needs more information on it. It looks strange with just the 2 links. I think that gift certificate logo is very dated. I would prefer to see full width and put that info somewhere else. Also that availability image I believe is way too similar to Res Nex. Put the one in your footer there instead. It should be seen at the top and not as an after thought in the footer
on Packages page, why do you feature a food slider? It should be something to do with packages.
Gallery Page, lose the carousel in the slider area and put in a slider in the main section of the page. Make it so images can be opened to full size to view well.
Way too many reviews. I don't think reviews should merit a top position on the navigation bar. Also, use the testimonial short code from Striking it will present better. No side bar on this page. so confirms to me..you really don't need a sidebar.
Where is a contact link? I always think that needs to be upfront. Or you could put the contact form widget in the sidebar close to top.
Good luck..
Thanks for spending so much time on this! And appreciate all your input. Do keep in mind that I did this in a week all on my own, without ever going near WP before... no guidelines or manuals, all self-taught by trial and error.
Got rid of all the justifying--who knew? Package page has food on it cause it's a Dinner Package only!
Ignore the Gallery
Reviews-you would really be surprised how many random SEO clicks I get from this, that actually are worthwhile. Yes, 'tis excessive, but it's been working for almost 10 years now. Also, you'd be surprised how much time folks actually spend on my site, sometimes over an hour reading! And within GA real-time, they are moving page to page....
I have more to add to the Sidebar, this is just a preliminary version to see if I was on the right track.
With rooms, I will be linking to individual Virtual Tours of each rooms later today, far better than enlarged pix. (which I don't have at the moment)
I totally agree re the Header!!! But what the heck is a Header widget, and where do I find it?
And what are advantages of Revolution vs Nivo slider?
Thank you again!

But all in all, it looks good, will get the job done. A bit of a retro feeling, probably is what you are going for :).
Thanks for solving my clickable photo problem... I just uploaded them via the Media tool and the default was to add href.. Gone now. Yay! Along with justifying, 2014 in the footer, golden hover color, and Gallery a work in progress.
Not sure how to adjust line height for paragraphs?
Any idea why the slider photos readjust before loading on the Feature Header?
Downloaded WP Super Cache, not sure what to do. Also have some other plugins will need help with before publishing.
As mentions EN, I self-taught myself WP by trial and error, and accomplished this much in one week!
Thanks D

Thanks for solving my clickable photo problem... I just uploaded them via the Media tool and the default was to add href.. Gone now. Yay! Along with justifying, 2014 in the footer, golden hover color, and Gallery a work in progress.
Downloaded WP Super Cache, not sure what to do. Also have some other plugins will need help with before publishing.
As mentions EN, I self-taught myself WP by trial and error, and accomplished this much in one week!
Thanks D
For being self taught and no instruction. you have done remarkably well. KUDO's it takes plenty of time to master this.
Do not activate your WP Cache plugin until you are ready to launch the site. Otherwise it will drive you crazy because thing you change will not show up!! PULL HAIR!!!
That is a quirk with the NIVO slider in Striking. That's why I prefer to use the Revolution slider. I will email you one you can import and play around with.'
Other plugins you should use: WORDPRESS SEO or ALL IN ONE SEO..doesn't matter which, Safe Redirect..you will need this before you go live so you can do permanent redirects from your old html page to WP pages. I also like Brute Protect. I also use FAST SECURE CONTACT forms. I like it better than the built in contact shortcode. Wordfence is another my hosting friend uses, but think it is more than the average person would understand.

Thanks D
Check under your theme options settings. That is also where you tell it to use a HEADER widget. Then it will appear under widgets and then you can use the SOCIAL ICON widget in that section. Here are the video tutorials in case you haven't found them. Ask questions in the support forum.THEY ARE SUPER GOOD!

Thanks D
For being self taught and no instruction. you have done remarkably well. KUDO's it takes plenty of time to master this.
Do not activate your WP Cache plugin until you are ready to launch the site. Otherwise it will drive you crazy because thing you change will not show up!! PULL HAIR!!!
That is a quirk with the NIVO slider in Striking. That's why I prefer to use the Revolution slider. I will email you one you can import and play around with.'
Other plugins you should use: WORDPRESS SEO or ALL IN ONE SEO..doesn't matter which, Safe Redirect..you will need this before you go live so you can do permanent redirects from your old html page to WP pages. I also like Brute Protect. I also use FAST SECURE CONTACT forms. I like it better than the built in contact shortcode. Wordfence is another my hosting friend uses, but think it is more than the average person would understand.
Look forward to the email when you have time.
I already installed Yoast SEO & Redirection also Wordfence. Are Wordpress SEO or Safe Direct better?
Thanks for the deactivating tip for WP Cache. Done

Thanks D
Check under your theme options settings. That is also where you tell it to use a HEADER widget. Then it will appear under widgets and then you can use the SOCIAL ICON widget in that section. Here are the video tutorials in case you haven't found them. Ask questions in the support forum.THEY ARE SUPER GOOD!
Oh, videos? Support? Thanks ... much better than winging it!

Thanks D
Look forward to the email when you have time.
I already installed Yoast SEO & Redirection also Wordfence. Are Wordpress SEO or Safe Direct better?
Thanks for the deactivating tip for WP Cache. Done
Wordpress SEO is the one by Yoast. It gives more directions than the other. Any redirect will do. just be sure you use 301 as the redirect. Email is on it's way :)

Thanks D
Oh, videos? Support? Thanks ... much better than winging it!
Oh yes. James and Paul are the best! Get me out of many jams! You'll see me on that forum regularly. :)

EN: Switched background back to current website. Maddie: Sailboat has been our print background for years now. EN: by centering text, you mean do NOT Justify it?
Thanks
NO..that is worse. Green background with blue text area...clashes. I would go with a plain color darker blues rather than pattern. Gosh..there is so much more you can do with striking but I don't have time to share with you now. If you are going to change you need to go BIG. I can't share one I have been working on now but maybe he will in a few days. And will email to you.
But look at this one
See, I look at from my artist's point of view and see the green background picking up the green tones in all my pics... more contrast than clash, not so monochromatic. I have co-ordinating green fonts on my current page. Could change back.
Just want to agree with empty nest here - the dark green background was the ONLY thing that bothered me with your lovely website. I think it looks depressing and old fashioned where as the blue looks so light and airy and beach like. I even was thinking to myself, this person chose the perfect shade of blue for their site...it goes so well with the blue in the photos...did they not know how to change the back wallpaper color? How am I going mention it?
Why not try going lighter than the blue. A very very light beige with a subtle texture, a cream...

Good luck..
I hope you heard about this:
http://wptavern.com/critical-security-vulnerability-found-in-wordpress-slider-revolution-plugin-immediate-update-advised
http://blog.sucuri.net/2014/09/slider-revolution-plugin-critical-vulnerability-being-exploited.html

Good luck..
I hope you heard about this:
http://wptavern.com/critical-security-vulnerability-found-in-wordpress-slider-revolution-plugin-immediate-update-advised
http://blog.sucuri.net/2014/09/slider-revolution-plugin-critical-vulnerability-being-exploited.html
Dumitru. Yes I have and this THEME if good to go. No issues with it. all fixed by them. This is old news.

Thanks
But look at this one
Just want to agree with empty nest here - the dark green background was the ONLY thing that bothered me with your lovely website. I think it looks depressing and old fashioned where as the blue looks so light and airy and beach like. I even was thinking to myself, this person chose the perfect shade of blue for their site...it goes so well with the blue in the photos...did they not know how to change the back wallpaper color? How am I going mention it?
Why not try going lighter than the blue. A very very light beige with a subtle texture, a cream...
Please go to back and look now! EN has convinced me to give in... lots of other tweaks too! I was a bit concerned cause our competition has an ALL blue theme...

Back