No one understands

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to show how even people you talk to everyday, people who know your product, still don't get it, I was telling a friend how we had a guest call who wanted a room but didn't want to pay the rate.
Friend said - just put him in the room with the shared bath if he's so cheap.
We don't have ANY rooms with shared baths. If I can't impress this on people who are in my house on a regular basis how do I get that across to guests???
BTW, brother had a lovely time. Probably will never stay at any other B&B but least the only experience is not from a tv sitcom. He thought it was a riot that I served him breakfast.

Just to show how even people you talk to everyday, people who know your product, still don't get it, I was telling a friend how we had a guest call who wanted a room but didn't want to pay the rate.
We don't have ANY rooms with shared baths. If I can't impress this on people who are in my house on a regular basis how do I get that across to guests???
BTW, brother had a lovely time. Probably will never stay at any other B&B but least the only experience is not from a tv sitcom. He thought it was a riot that I served him breakfast..
Who still has shared baths?
I've had people review the house and say that there is a shared bath. Cannot imagine how they got that idea since it is incorrect.

BTW, brother had a lovely time. Probably will never stay at any other B&B but least the only experience is not from a tv sitcom. He thought it was a riot that I served him breakfast..
I've had people review the house and say that there is a shared bath. Cannot imagine how they got that idea since it is incorrect.
TheBeachHouse said:
I have at least 4 reviews saying there is a shared bath. All reviews by guests who had en suite baths. Here's the logic - there is a bathroom in the hall, ergo, those other rooms all share that bathroom. Which is why we now close and lock that door. Everyone can assume it's a storage area.
Even so, if you did not have to share a bathroom, shut your bleeping mouth. Don't review something you know zero about.
Keeping in mind how people just have to talk about something they know nothing about, when I was joking with my brother over breakfast I told the entire dining room - he's my brother, I'm not so sarcastic with everyone else.
Just what I would need is someone saying I was picking on a guest at breakfast.

Locals here just opened a beautiful place--shared baths... Stupid!! They refused to take advice from anyone.their loss
cry_smile.gif

I have shared baths and private baths. You'd be shocked at how many who book the private bath look at the room I have with shared and ask me about the downgrade. Best rooms in the house are shared bath.

I have shared baths and private baths. You'd be shocked at how many who book the private bath look at the room I have with shared and ask me about the downgrade. Best rooms in the house are shared bath.
But these folks started from scratch and had a choice and options when doing remodeling

But these folks started from scratch and had a choice and options when doing remodeling
We are lucky that the property we are taking on is all ensuite - but would have remodeled if they wern't! Had 2 with private bathrooms which to be fair were let very consistently, however at not much more than cost so the remodel was worth it, plus less pressure on us as 1 less breakfast to do, 1 less check in and 1 less car to get parked!

If I could have, I might have, but I would have lost the integrity of the place as well. There are parts of this house that just can't be replicated today.
But if they could have, they should have. Even small private bathrooms are preferable. And frankly, some people just don't know how to share... it's odd, most of the time it's never a problem... until you get someone who doesn't.

If I could have, I might have, but I would have lost the integrity of the place as well. There are parts of this house that just can't be replicated today.
But if they could have, they should have. Even small private bathrooms are preferable. And frankly, some people just don't know how to share... it's odd, most of the time it's never a problem... until you get someone who doesn't.
Our bathrooms are miniscule. Think walk in closet. Actually, I've seen walk-ins that are bigger. But, yes, the are in the room which sells faster here.
The detached bath sells because it's super cheap. I'm guessing people who read the text are happily surprised to find out it's really not shared. Those who don't read are unhappily surprised.

Our bathrooms are miniscule. Think walk in closet. Actually, I've seen walk-ins that are bigger. But, yes, the are in the room which sells faster here.
The detached bath sells because it's super cheap. I'm guessing people who read the text are happily surprised to find out it's really not shared. Those who don't read are unhappily surprised.
Have you put on keypad locks on the detached bath? Hard to say it's shared when you need a code to get in.

I have a shared bath. And it is prominently displayed on my website and in room descriptions and on rack cards. One of my most requested rooms - The Harris is a shared bath and my budget room. When we were 3 with shared, I had several guests who referred to it as "MY room". It is still popular.
Sometimes it just is not possible to add bathrooms - you really MUST have a way to add plumbing for the in and out as well as the space for the facility - a closet that is 18 inches deep is not going to accommodate a toilet, much less a sink and shower.
Yes, my ensuite is most in demand but I have had the Harris be booked when everything else is empty.
I admit I am different from most - I grew up on a farm with a 2-seater out back, no water on the property so a bath was sponge bath so a shared bath is luxury. The water flows and the toilet flushes - I am a happy camper as long as the door closes behind me for privacy.
Forgot to add - it (shared) has a deadbolt lock and I have the only keys.

Have you put on keypad locks on the detached bath? Hard to say it's shared when you need a code to get in.
Generic said:
Mine has a lock, yes. Not a keypad but a keyed lock.

Generic said:
but do they lock it? when we had a private bath on the first landing people were always popping into it to use the toilet even when they had to walk past the public loo to get into it!

TheBeachHouse said:
I have at least 4 reviews saying there is a shared bath. All reviews by guests who had en suite baths. Here's the logic - there is a bathroom in the hall, ergo, those other rooms all share that bathroom. Which is why we now close and lock that door. Everyone can assume it's a storage area.
Even so, if you did not have to share a bathroom, shut your bleeping mouth. Don't review something you know zero about.
Keeping in mind how people just have to talk about something they know nothing about, when I was joking with my brother over breakfast I told the entire dining room - he's my brother, I'm not so sarcastic with everyone else.
My brother visited me from NC and all my guests, male and female, fell in love with him. He's that kind of guy. He'd eat in the kitchen and then go into the dining room where the guests were eating and just pull up a chair to one of the tables and start chatting. I was dying. They loved it! Look up the word charming in the dictionary and you'll find his picture. Great sense of humor, great story teller, and handsome to boot.

TheBeachHouse said:
My brother visited me from NC and all my guests, male and female, fell in love with him. He's that kind of guy. He'd eat in the kitchen and then go into the dining room where the guests were eating and just pull up a chair to one of the tables and start chatting. I was dying. They loved it! Look up the word charming in the dictionary and you'll find his picture. Great sense of humor, great story teller, and handsome to boot.
I have one brother like that. The other one has the personality of a porcupine with quills extended.

TheBeachHouse said:
After breakfast my brother commented that we get a lot of repeat guests. One room was repeats. I wondered about that and he said it was the way I was talking with them - like I knew them. All chatty.

Generic said:
The keypad that auto locks when they close the door would be more secure.

TheBeachHouse said:
Country Girl said:
And.......SINGLE?
wink_smile.gif

TheBeachHouse said:
After breakfast my brother commented that we get a lot of repeat guests. One room was repeats. I wondered about that and he said it was the way I was talking with them - like I knew them. All chatty.
mind you we have 3 guys who stay just about every monday or literally every monday - Jane the new chamber maid asked "but why do they stay every week?" they work at various things locally but live elsewhere and have to come in for meetings and stuff.
It was more the tone of complete bafflement!

TheBeachHouse said:
Country Girl said:
And.......SINGLE?
wink_smile.gif

BananaE29 said:
Country Girl said:
And.......SINGLE?
wink_smile.gif
Yes, but not the marrying kind. Wandering eye. Got him in trouble the first time he married, and in almost every relationship since. Hard trying to steer my single girlfriends away from him, though, because he is so much FUN! He leaves a wake of broken-hearted women everywhere. He's always been the love'em then leave'em type.
devil_smile.gif

Back