NO SHOWS

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thank everyone for their feedback. I must explain that I use a Booking Agent that I am very satisfied with.
They keep me booked about 95% of the time.
I dont really care about NO SHOWS because everyone pays in full, in advance. If they cancel 30 days prior to arrival they get a full refund. If 30 days
prior to arrival, NO REFUNDS! That's what they sign to on the Booking Agency site. I have refunded a few
people but generally dont make refunds. After all,
the room is tied up for them.
I am not a hostel and there are no other Bed and Breakfasts in this area or anywhere near. The closest ones are in downtown San Diego at a princely price.
I offer very reasonable rates and get bookings of
one night, 3 nights, one week and sometimes as long as 3 weeks. Very happy with that and dont feel I need to charge more. Happy with current rates.
I was very interested in your comments but because the rates are low, I dont offer frills! Hahaha!
Because there is no pool, no t.v. no partying, no pets or kids, I usually get quiet people wanting a nice rest.
They serve themselves breakfast (I got tired of waiting on them as they were usually late) so now they help themselves and seem happy with it.
Yes my cancellations are high, but my bookings are high too, and as soon as they cancel, the booking agent gets someone else. I dont know how any of you can make real money without a booking agent. I tried and it was a waste of time. I get some bookings from
my website but the majority is through the booking agent. I tried Tripadvisor, Evolve, BedandBreakfast.com etc. etc. and ALL were useless.
I even tried ILoveInns.
If you havent tried a good Booking agent I highly recommend you get one. Saves time, aggravation, and best part of all is if you have a problem with a guest, tell them to call the Booking Agent! Terrific buffer and avoid confrontation.
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY EVERYONE.
It's a full house here and hope yours is too..
Care to share what booking agent you use?

I thank everyone for their feedback. I must explain that I use a Booking Agent that I am very satisfied with.
I dont really care about NO SHOWS because everyone pays in full, in advance. If they cancel 30 days prior to arrival they get a full refund. If 30 days
prior to arrival, NO REFUNDS! That's what they sign to on the Booking Agency site. I have refunded a few
I am not a hostel and there are no other Bed and Breakfasts in this area or anywhere near. The closest ones are in downtown San Diego at a princely price.
one night, 3 nights, one week and sometimes as long as 3 weeks. Very happy with that and dont feel I need to charge more. Happy with current rates.
I was very interested in your comments but because the rates are low, I dont offer frills! Hahaha!
Because there is no pool, no t.v. no partying, no pets or kids, I usually get quiet people wanting a nice rest.
They serve themselves breakfast (I got tired of waiting on them as they were usually late) so now they help themselves and seem happy with it.
Yes my cancellations are high, but my bookings are high too, and as soon as they cancel, the booking agent gets someone else. I dont know how any of you can make real money without a booking agent. I tried and it was a waste of time. I get some bookings from
my website but the majority is through the booking agent. I tried Tripadvisor, Evolve, BedandBreakfast.com etc. etc. and ALL were useless.
I even tried ILoveInns.
If you havent tried a good Booking agent I highly recommend you get one. Saves time, aggravation, and best part of all is if you have a problem with a guest, tell them to call the Booking Agent! Terrific buffer and avoid confrontation.
Duff2014 said:
listed on Boo king. com

How do you call yourself a B&B? You are a 'homestay'. According to Trip Advisor, you only have 7 nights booked for the month of July. Maybe your booking engine isn't up to date?.
You are correct. I have been way too busy to update my Tripadvisor account and actually should be cancelling it. They are useless. I am not a homestay
and that site is full of inaccuracies! They also like to
keep the money until after a guest has stayed which didnt sit too well with me so I never took anyone from their site.
You can stop paying them but you can't remove your listing

Same theme as your other threads. Your rates and policies dictate what happens in your business both before they arrive as well as after. You will not see any changes in any of this until you change your business model. PERIOD.
May I suggest you do some research as to other businesses like yours in the area. Check what they offer for what price, then go from there.

Join, or at least visit, your local (or state) B&B association. You could get valuable information to assist you..
I am fortunate in that I dont really have any competition. No other B&Bs here, one awful motel that I have been told has drug dealers and prostitutes;
the other one is run by Chinese people who are very rude to everyone (I had the misfortune to stay there for a few weeks when I moved into the area), and also
have the hooker problems.
I am fortunate to be near 7 beautiful lakes and those people dont frequent this area.
I dont need to change my business model because
I've made more money this year than ever before!
Proof of the pudding is in the eating!!!
Not a nice post ... we have Asian hosts nearby and they are lovely people. I'd just say run by people who are very rude to everyone

I even tried ILoveInns.
Please text me 6194572968 for this info. Thanks.

I even tried ILoveInns.
The previous owners of my place ran 95% occupancy. That's just crazy. I don't want to work that hard! We doubled the rate and halved the workload. Sounds like you've figured out what works, too.
Now we get reservations from multiple sources - air bnb, OTA sites, repeat guests, bnb.com, travel agents, but our own website is still 97% of our biz. I like that because there's no commission. :)

And did you know that in CA, you cannot exclude children (legally)?.
Yes we can exclude children in temporary lodging.
Audrey Forrest said:
Yes we can exclude children in temporary lodging.
NO YOU CAN NOT!
This is regarding the CA Unruh Act "The Courts Expand the Scope of the Act: One would logically conclude that the Act
prohibits just the ten types of unlawful discrimination that are specifically mentioned in
it. Unfortunately, the matter is not so simple. Over the years, various court decisions
and California Attorney General opinions started to broaden the scope of the Act so that
it prohibited many other types of discriminatory business policies. For example, the
California Supreme Court has ruled on more than one occasion that the specific
"protected categories" listed in the Act not exclusive, that the term "all persons" is not
reserved for the categories of prohibited discrimination that are set out in Civil Code
Section 51, and that the Act applies to prohibit discrimination in business on any
arbitrary basis. See Marina Point, Ltd. v. Wolfson, 30 Cal.3d 721, (1982), cert. den.
(confirming that it was unlawful under Unruh Civil Rights Act for a business to prohibit
families with children);"

We used to run 10% cancellation rate until we charged a deposit. Then it went to 1%. Our no show rate is maybe 1 every few years. It usually turns out they booked the wrong date..
Morticia said:
We used to run 10% cancellation rate until we charged a deposit. Then it went to 1%. Our no show rate is maybe 1 every few years. It usually turns out they booked the wrong date.
Exactly our experience.

Just had a boo .com reservation. Ran the card for the full amount even though the reservation isn't until October. Noooope.
Boo now has a form you have to fill out on their admin extranet to tell them the card is no good. I find it annoying that *I* have to go through extra work because *they* won't pony up and pay for pre-authorizing credit cards.

Just had a boo .com reservation. Ran the card for the full amount even though the reservation isn't until October. Noooope.
Boo now has a form you have to fill out on their admin extranet to tell them the card is no good. I find it annoying that *I* have to go through extra work because *they* won't pony up and pay for pre-authorizing credit cards..
PhineasSwann said:
Boo now has a form you have to fill out on their admin extranet to tell them the card is no good. I find it annoying that *I* have to go through extra work because *they* won't pony up and pay for pre-authorizing credit cards.
Generic mentioned that pre authorization or validation of cards is available in that country a few miles north. Maybe we should all ask for it here as well.
But yes, having to fill in the bad credit card and all the info to prove WE aren't making a mistake, and then getting the 'don't you want to reconsider losing this reservation and just ask the guest for another form of payment on arrival' message is annoying.

Boo now has a form you have to fill out on their admin extranet to tell them the card is no good. I find it annoying that *I* have to go through extra work because *they* won't pony up and pay for pre-authorizing credit cards..
Hey, if you want to use them...you have to jump through their hoops. Me personally I would not be giving them any % of my bookings.

Hey, if you want to use them...you have to jump through their hoops. Me personally I would not be giving them any % of my bookings.
EmptyNest said:
It's a good resource when it's not busy. Or there are rooms going empty. It's just another tool. Most of our guests are still finding us directly or through a directory with a flat fee.

PhineasSwann said:
Generic mentioned that pre authorization or validation of cards is available in that country a few miles north. Maybe we should all ask for it here as well.
But yes, having to fill in the bad credit card and all the info to prove WE aren't making a mistake, and then getting the 'don't you want to reconsider losing this reservation and just ask the guest for another form of payment on arrival' message is annoying.
It's some sort of validation system. Been a lot quieter since then. I also had them add a statement saying that a valid CC must be presented at check-in... not just online. We had a few stolen cards try to be processed.

PhineasSwann said:
It's some sort of validation system. Been a lot quieter since then. I also had them add a statement saying that a valid CC must be presented at check-in... not just online. We had a few stolen cards try to be processed.
Generic said:
We run the balance at check in so, hopefully that helps.

PhineasSwann said:
Generic said:
We run the balance at check in so, hopefully that helps.
Well, we only charge at check-in, but do an AUTH. But had a few that asked to charge to card. I was very suspicious about that. So we had BK now say that card must be presented at check-in and voila, these scammers have stopped using us.
Had one show up at the door and when asked for the card ran.... :)

PhineasSwann said:
Latest in the saga: Booking had guest send me another card number. DECLINE. I've now wasted more time.

PhineasSwann said:
Latest in the saga: Booking had guest send me another card number. DECLINE. I've now wasted more time.
PhineasSwann said:
PhineasSwann said:
Obviously a scammer. Tell Booking you have canceled the reservation. I do not understand why they want you to continue to hold a room from someone that obviously is not going to pay meaning that they won't be getting their commission anyway. Better to lift the hold and attract someone with $ in their pockets.

Latest posts

Back