North East Storm

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. And also..NO.
This entire thread has made rethink New England. I think I'll concentrate my search in the south now.
Sun...sand...waves...palm trees. And no snow.
K, thanks for setting me straight everyone!
DRG.
SUN (blazing heat)......SAND (tracked in everywhere - and blowing)......Hurricanes (waves).....no snow but bugs
What I love about West Virginia is we have 4 seasons, some snow (they DO the Snow Dance in the mountains for the ski trade - I am in the foothills and WE measure snow in inches), gorgeous scenery, and extreme weather is rare. It is rarely uncomfortably hot, we get single digit temps just a few nights out of the year, and the area subject to flooding is about 100 miles or more from me. We are within 600 miles of most of the population east of the Mississippi so we are the "playground of the East". Culture, history, scenery, adventure - we have it all! (and there are a few really wonderful B& Bs for sale.
There is one in Fayetteville near the New River Gorge, biking/hiking trails, zip lines, State Parks, and the new Boy Scout camp that is a huge draw.
gillumhouse said:
SUN (blazing heat)......SAND (tracked in everywhere - and blowing)......Hurricanes (waves).....no snow but bugs
What I love about West Virginia is we have 4 seasons
Sun = heat which means AC = high electric bills along with getting irritable at guests who leave the windows open and the AC blowing for all its worth.
Sand = lots of sweeping it up as it scrubs the finish off the floors
Waves = flood insurance on top of other stuff

No. And also..NO.
This entire thread has made rethink New England. I think I'll concentrate my search in the south now.
DRG.
What I love about West Virginia is we have 4 seasons, some snow (they DO the Snow Dance in the mountains for the ski trade - I am in the foothills and WE measure snow in inches), gorgeous scenery, and extreme weather is rare. It is rarely uncomfortably hot, we get single digit temps just a few nights out of the year, and the area subject to flooding is about 100 miles or more from me. We are within 600 miles of most of the population east of the Mississippi so we are the "playground of the East". Culture, history, scenery, adventure - we have it all! (and there are a few really wonderful B& Bs for sale.
There is one in Fayetteville near the New River Gorge, biking/hiking trails, zip lines, State Parks, and the new Boy Scout camp that is a huge draw.
Valid!
I'm currently in Texas, and I've lived in South India, so I'm none too bothered about the blazing sun. I'm not ruling out COASTAL Virginia :)
My search continues--I just had two inns get snapped up before I could even book a trip out to see them.
was speaking to my bank today as they are funding my renovations next door they come periodically to check how we are spending the money - asked out of curiosity how b&B's are buying and selling
She said 14 applying, 12 going through purchase and 8 just starting the mortgage application process and that's with one mortgage officer at 1 building society.
interesting.
Wow! Which area are you in?

No. And also..NO.
DRG.
Valid!
I'm currently in Texas, and I've lived in South India, so I'm none too bothered about the blazing sun. I'm not ruling out COASTAL Virginia :)
My search continues--I just had two inns get snapped up before I could even book a trip out to see them.
was speaking to my bank today as they are funding my renovations next door they come periodically to check how we are spending the money - asked out of curiosity how b&B's are buying and selling
She said 14 applying, 12 going through purchase and 8 just starting the mortgage application process and that's with one mortgage officer at 1 building society.
interesting.
ChefDRG said:
Cam's in the UK. In an extremely busy area.

No. And also..NO.
DRG.
Valid!
interesting.
ChefDRG said:
Cam's in the UK. In an extremely busy area.
Ohh! Ok, thanks :)

No. And also..NO.
DRG.
Valid!
interesting.
not in my town - she wouldn't tell me if there were any here - but across the country they lend - but find it interesting that just 1 small building society has so many on the go - also they were very helpful - have lent us extra money to do reno, 1st year interest only with possibility of up to 18 months of that if we need it and so on - a lot more flexible than most.

No. And also..NO.
DRG.
Valid!
interesting.
Also there are a few for sale here but in my opinion vastly over priced for the books and work needed. Places with amazing potential if owners pulled their fingers out!
(1) has stopped doing B&B and is taking long term lodger refugees - as too much work
(2) sort of stopped as 2 much work - trying to sell for 3 years has VERY deferred maintenance and is asking top whack ie £60,000 min to get it up to standard.
(3) 5 rooms asking more than i paid for 16 rooms her places is all done - walk in and run but you can't pay the mortgage on that - so no buyers
(4) 2 selling at top whack but they are staying till they get the price - want more time with the kids and other to retire.
Our problem here is burnout - property is expensive so you have to be busy all the time to pay it but can be done but then they get worn out by over work. Also too many people think they can do everything yourself - me I am so not cleaning toilets every day if I can manage it - covering for holidays is enough for me.

Another foot on the way. Seriously too warm, tho. It's very heavy snow. Good thing Gomez cleared the roofs. We've got to get everything done tomorrow before we reopen on Friday. 7 weeks off and I save all the work for two days prior to guests arriving.
Still haven't ironed the sheets from Dec!

Another foot on the way. Seriously too warm, tho. It's very heavy snow. Good thing Gomez cleared the roofs. We've got to get everything done tomorrow before we reopen on Friday. 7 weeks off and I save all the work for two days prior to guests arriving.
Still haven't ironed the sheets from Dec!.
Heavy and wet. We had 3 or 4 inches at the inn, but when I got to Boston - nothing. Wet sidewalks, no snow, no ice.
there is leftover snow in piles, but the sidewalks and streets are clear. Which is nice because I walk from the train to the office, so snow and ice are scary.

Back