Organic Fruit Request

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I'm going to fess up. I would just say "no problem", then serve them the regular stuff. It is not a life threatening situation, it's a choice. One friggin' day of eating a small amount of produce that is not organic is not going to hurt them and they'll never know.
There, I said it!.
I would rather this guy know that he's not getting it and it's not reasonable to think innkeepers wherever he goes are able to or will bow to his request for organic fruit. Maybe it will stop him from requesting it in the future if he's finally denied! But I'm OK with you doing whatever you want, it's your kitchen and you're the boss.
MtnKeeper said:
I would rather this guy know that he's not getting it and it's not reasonable to think innkeepers wherever he goes are able to or will bow to his request for organic fruit. Maybe it will stop him from requesting it in the future if he's finally denied! But I'm OK with you doing whatever you want, it's your kitchen and you're the boss.
I think they're staying with us for one day also.

i think your husband's response was perfect. you'll do your best to provide gf pancakes and fruit but are unable to provide certified organic during his stay. be honest. hopefully he will cancel within an acceptable time frame because he might be a pita waiting to pounce.
i do eat organic when i can and even buying at trader joe's it's costly. my choice and it's just for me.

We all knew it … the requests wouldn't end with the fruit and GF requests. Today he called and asked that my husband have everyone sing happy birthday to her at breakfast since it's her special day. There is no way in hell that I'm asking the other guests to all put down their forks and stop eating to sing this woman happy birthday. All I keep thinking of is the big giant moose that they used to have at Bugaboo Creek and the waitresses would all sing happy birthday and then the birthday girl/gal had to kiss the moose (what idiot came up with that germ spreading idea?) Perhaps he can just sing happy birthday to her himself that morning in bed!!

OK, I'm going to fess up. I would just say "no problem", then serve them the regular stuff. It is not a life threatening situation, it's a choice. One friggin' day of eating a small amount of produce that is not organic is not going to hurt them and they'll never know.
There, I said it!.
MtnKeeper said:
Saturday or Monday? He's coming here on Sunday. Did he cry poor to you too and need a discount?

We all knew it … the requests wouldn't end with the fruit and GF requests. Today he called and asked that my husband have everyone sing happy birthday to her at breakfast since it's her special day. There is no way in hell that I'm asking the other guests to all put down their forks and stop eating to sing this woman happy birthday. All I keep thinking of is the big giant moose that they used to have at Bugaboo Creek and the waitresses would all sing happy birthday and then the birthday girl/gal had to kiss the moose (what idiot came up with that germ spreading idea?) Perhaps he can just sing happy birthday to her himself that morning in bed!!.
GIVE ME A BREAK! WT...!!!
Where does this guy come up with this stuff. Tell him SORRY, you can do your own singing. We provide bed and a breakfast and the rest is up to you.

There, I said it!.
MtnKeeper said:
Saturday or Monday? He's coming here on Sunday. Did he cry poor to you too and need a discount?
Thursday! So maybe just one nighters all over the place! At least we don't have to sing.

There, I said it!.
MtnKeeper said:
Thursday! So maybe just one nighters all over the place! At least we don't have to sing.
Madeleine said:
hahahhahahahhaaaaa

We all knew it … the requests wouldn't end with the fruit and GF requests. Today he called and asked that my husband have everyone sing happy birthday to her at breakfast since it's her special day. There is no way in hell that I'm asking the other guests to all put down their forks and stop eating to sing this woman happy birthday. All I keep thinking of is the big giant moose that they used to have at Bugaboo Creek and the waitresses would all sing happy birthday and then the birthday girl/gal had to kiss the moose (what idiot came up with that germ spreading idea?) Perhaps he can just sing happy birthday to her himself that morning in bed!!.
Oh, good grief!

Does he know the royalties you would owe for doing that?

I don't know. How hard is it to sing happy birthday as you deliver her breakfast? Makes the guests happy.
You don't have to engage the whole room, just the two of you. We would do it.

I don't know. How hard is it to sing happy birthday as you deliver her breakfast? Makes the guests happy.
You don't have to engage the whole room, just the two of you. We would do it..
You can sing happy b day if you wish. But he wants all the guests to join in ...NOT!
It's just a stupid request of an innkeeper. I would just laugh at someone if they ever asked me and say "you've got to be joking..right?"
Let him sing to her.
tounge_smile.gif

You can sing happy b day if you wish. But he wants all the guests to join in ...NOT!
It's just a stupid request of an innkeeper. I would just laugh at someone if they ever asked me and say "you've got to be joking..right?"
Let him sing to her.
tounge_smile.gif

EmptyNest said:
Let him sing to her.
tounge_smile.gif
We jokingly call our place, Holiday Inn. I decorate and cut fruit and bake for all the holidays. I cut out watermelon hearts for the wedding groups. I don't think a simple 5 second sing along would hurt us.

He wants everyone to sing to her! Sometimes guests aren't extroverts and are more reserved and we're not going to impose his wish on them - in 10 years no one has ever asked such a thing. He could have made her feel special by ordering flowers, chocolate, etc. but again he wanted a discount for her special night so he's trying to do something for free!

He wants everyone to sing to her! Sometimes guests aren't extroverts and are more reserved and we're not going to impose his wish on them - in 10 years no one has ever asked such a thing. He could have made her feel special by ordering flowers, chocolate, etc. but again he wanted a discount for her special night so he's trying to do something for free!
MtnKeeper said:
Not denying he is a pita. completely agree. LOL. I would never ask the guests to join in. I was suggesting a compromise.

MtnKeeper said:
I can't recall who it is, but someone here got a neg review due to this scenario. I know inns who have a princess tiara and due something special, but it really does depend on those there whether they appreciate it or not. What I see is a guy trying to do everything he can to make it special. Just do what you do, when he gets there and she is surprised by the stay you may never even see them again! (
embaressed_smile.gif
)

And has anyone stopped to think that she may be horrified by this. I do not like to be the center of attention - especially by strangers - especially in an intimate setting. I remember singing Happy Birthday to a couple of people the first year or two of business - the other guests will inevitably join in, if that's what you want to do. You don't have to ask anyone to do it, it will just be an automatic reaction.

90% of my guests are here celebrating something, as I'm sure is the case with most of you. I personally would not do it. This guy won't stop asking for special attention until he's gotten the room for free!

what a unique idea! (not) ... people hardly ever stay at a b&b to celebrate a birthday!
wink_smile.gif

we had at least one birthday every weekend it seems.
i did sometimes put a candle in a muffin, but i never got a request to do the singing.
tell him it's copyrighted so you can't orchestrate the singing of it in a business http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/birthday.asp just kidding. nah, i just wouldn't do it.

just wait - he's going to ask that you honor her with a free cake in the room.
ages ago, you'd tell a restaurant it was your birthday and they'd give you some kind of freebie - sometimes even a little cake.
i used to do the free, small cake ... and never, ever even got a thank you.
cry_smile.gif
once found it, dishes and all!, in the trash in the room. started offering it as a paid add on and got the fee PLUS a thank you. live and learn.

ages ago, you'd tell a restaurant it was your birthday and they'd give you some kind of freebie - sometimes even a little cake.
cry_smile.gif
once found it, dishes and all!, in the trash in the room. started offering it as a paid add on and got the fee PLUS a thank you. live and learn..
seashanty said:
cry_smile.gif
once found it, dishes and all!, in the trash in the room. started offering it as a paid add on and got the fee PLUS a thank you. live and learn.
My mother used to love to go on cruises. Inevitably, she would always go on the sly and tell the waiter that it was someone's birthday (never was). Of course they would parade out with a cake & sing and clap their hands and whoever was the recipient would be SO embarassed and they would never cop to the fact during the b-day course that it wasn't their b-day! She found this hysterical!
Well, we went on a river cruise in Russia and it was just she and I. She pulled the same thing. I was soooooo embarassed. EXCEPT, what she didn't know was they actually charged the cake to her room! That was the LAST time she pulled that stunt.
What a character she was!

And has anyone stopped to think that she may be horrified by this. I do not like to be the center of attention - especially by strangers - especially in an intimate setting. I remember singing Happy Birthday to a couple of people the first year or two of business - the other guests will inevitably join in, if that's what you want to do. You don't have to ask anyone to do it, it will just be an automatic reaction.

90% of my guests are here celebrating something, as I'm sure is the case with most of you. I personally would not do it. This guy won't stop asking for special attention until he's gotten the room for free!.
BananaE29 said:
And has anyone stopped to think that she may be horrified by this. I do not like to be the center of attention - especially by strangers - especially in an intimate setting.
That was the bad review, the person (bday girl) was embarrassed. The one wearing the tiara.

Back