Pricing a twin room

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tough love moment
heart.gif

There is no such thing as a twin room at a bed and breakfast.
You were going to be an upscale inn originally, and now you mention a twin bed. There is no place at an inn for a twin bed, full stop. If it were me I would use it as a dedicated spa room, where folks can get their massage and/or spa treatments. I would throw the $ at the other rooms and consider this one last, you can make it a spa room easily enough until you decide to do something else.
You are starting from scratch, considering a twin room is an anathema..
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the idea of a spa/massage area! That would allow the room to continue to be an income-generating space with (perhaps) even less expense and work. OMG -- why didn't I think of that?? And since docbones is an osteopathic physician and does osteopathic manipulation treatment for his patients when they need it/ask for it -- I could imagine him making this treatment available as a value-added service for our guests if they request it.
I was a little bit downhearted as I thought about my weird room -- but now I am totally jazzed! It may be the best room in the house. I just called docbones and ran the idea by him. He is all for it! For those who haven't heard of OMT - here is a little description of it:
http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/treatment/Pages/default.aspx
(Sitting areas, library, eating areas are great ideas too, but I already have all of those covered
regular_smile.gif
)

Tough love moment
heart.gif

You were going to be an upscale inn originally, and now you mention a twin bed. There is no place at an inn for a twin bed, full stop. If it were me I would use it as a dedicated spa room, where folks can get their massage and/or spa treatments. I would throw the $ at the other rooms and consider this one last, you can make it a spa room easily enough until you decide to do something else.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the idea of a spa/massage area! That would allow the room to continue to be an income-generating space with (perhaps) even less expense and work. OMG -- why didn't I think of that?? And since docbones is an osteopathic physician and does osteopathic manipulation treatment for his patients when they need it/ask for it -- I could imagine him making this treatment available as a value-added service for our guests if they request it.
I was a little bit downhearted as I thought about my weird room -- but now I am totally jazzed! It may be the best room in the house. I just called docbones and ran the idea by him. He is all for it! For those who haven't heard of OMT - here is a little description of it:
(Sitting areas, library, eating areas are great ideas too, but I already have all of those covered
regular_smile.gif
)
We have friends who turned one guest room into a massage room. With the attached bath it was an excellent use of the space. She's a masseuse and he does reiki so they use the room a lot.

Tough love moment
heart.gif

regular_smile.gif
)
We have friends who turned one guest room into a massage room. With the attached bath it was an excellent use of the space. She's a masseuse and he does reiki so they use the room a lot.
I was thinking I'd hire someone to come in (and work a deal for free massages for the innkeeper?) But I wonder what's involved in becoming a masseuse. If I did it myself, that could be a good income generator. Hmmmm....

Tough love moment
heart.gif

regular_smile.gif
)
I was thinking I'd hire someone to come in (and work a deal for free massages for the innkeeper?) But I wonder what's involved in becoming a masseuse. If I did it myself, that could be a good income generator. Hmmmm....
Consider what your time is worth. How much of it do you want to spend? Check locally to see if you can get someone to come in and how much they charge.
You could build packages around this once you have reliable sources. Couples massage is a thing I've heard.
We tried it here but our rooms are too small for the massage table. One guest arranged for a massage and I found the table set up in the living room. Um. No. That doesn't work!

Seashanty asked me to post pics of my weird room so here they are.
The only wall to "host" a bed:
twin%201.jpg

The funky corner:
twin%205.jpg

The door issues:
twin%202.jpg
twin%203.jpg
twin%204.jpg
How many inches from wall to wall, from the wall where the "bed" is at the moment to the wall opposite.

Tough love moment
heart.gif

Nailed it
JBloggs said:
Tough love moment
heart.gif

You are starting from scratch, considering a twin room is an anathema.

Tough love moment
heart.gif

regular_smile.gif
)
Think the spa thing through thoroughly - we originally had it setup with local massage therapists who would come and do in-room massages for our guests as a nice add-on for them. We were advised by others on another forum that the guest should pay the masseuse directly so that it was on their insurance and had nothing to do with us in case anyone was harmed. However, the guests would call me and ask lots of questions and ask me to book it for them. I then would try to schedule it for them and many times the therapist was already busy and I'd have to get back to the guest. I wasn't making any money on it but I was doing lots of calling/planning for it. Then tried to have guests just call the massage therapist themselves and work it out. However, often they forgot to tell me that they had booked someone -- this became a problem because our house is always locked. So they'd expect me to be here to let the masseuse in show them to their room. Lots of work for little money unless your doing the massages yourself.
Could be good for you but just work out the logistics in your mind before moving forward and if you want the added work/time suck of managing massage appointments.

Tough love moment
heart.gif

I think this is exactly what you should do. We would do it if we had a room. Shelley is also a massage therapist, but we just don't have the room for her massage table anywhere. That room seems perfect for it. Guests will pay extra to have a massage done onsite. They don' t have to put on make up or get dressed to go to an off site location. They can get their massage, then get back to their room for a nap.
Between putting in a twin bed and making a massage room, you will do MUCH better doing the spa room.

The Spa/Massage idea is spot on. IF you get a local therapist, get a rider on THEIR insurance and you get a copy. Check with your lawyer AND your insurance about the therapist being a contract worker.
The walk-in closet could be the dressing room.
BTW - I understand contending with doors & windows - for my rooms, add in fireplaces in each room. Entry door, 2 windows, a fireplace and a closet and under 1 window in each room is the electric baseboard heater.

Tough love moment
heart.gif

I think this is exactly what you should do. We would do it if we had a room. Shelley is also a massage therapist, but we just don't have the room for her massage table anywhere. That room seems perfect for it. Guests will pay extra to have a massage done onsite. They don' t have to put on make up or get dressed to go to an off site location. They can get their massage, then get back to their room for a nap.
Between putting in a twin bed and making a massage room, you will do MUCH better doing the spa room.
What was involved in Shelley becoming a massage therapist? Docbones seems to think my hands are strong enough to do it. Are really strong hands really a requirement? I do have a weakened left thumb where a pair of scissors slipped and cut my extensor tendon. (I can't be trusted with anything sharp -- I'm forever slicing something I didn't intend to.)
Docbones is also hedging now on doing his OMT here for liability reasons. Bummer...

Tough love moment
heart.gif

What was involved in Shelley becoming a massage therapist? Docbones seems to think my hands are strong enough to do it. Are really strong hands really a requirement? I do have a weakened left thumb where a pair of scissors slipped and cut my extensor tendon. (I can't be trusted with anything sharp -- I'm forever slicing something I didn't intend to.)
Docbones is also hedging now on doing his OMT here for liability reasons. Bummer...
from previous massages id say firm not hard but there is quite a bit of leaning over to be considered even with a proper table - think you can do a weeks course to be qualified doesn't take much.

Tough love moment
heart.gif

It takes a good year of training in a certified school to become a massage therapist...and it is big bucks as well. You would be better off to keep the room as it is and see if you can just find someone who will come in and do massages in that room for you. My massage therapist is the only one around here who will do on site massages. She is quite successful.
If you can put in a massage table for someone, that may lure them into doing it because most of them don't want to have to lug all their equipment around.

Tough love moment
heart.gif

from previous massages id say firm not hard but there is quite a bit of leaning over to be considered even with a proper table - think you can do a weeks course to be qualified doesn't take much.
It is a much longer course here. Too many neck muscles that will do a LOT of harm.
https://www.amtamassage.org/findamassage/credential.html

Tough love moment
heart.gif

Schools vary, you'll just have to check close to where you live. But I think EmptyNest has the right idea. We originally planned for Shelley to do onsite massages in the evening. I even had the webpage, packages set up and everything. But we realized with her cooking the big breakfasts that she does, refreshing rooms, making snacks for the afternoon, checking in guests, and all other things that innkeepers do, she just doesn't have the time nor the energy. She just wants to take the evening and relax.
EmptyNest is also right about providing a table, sheets, and other massage stuff. If a massage therapist can come in and do a massage without the hassle of sheets or providing their own lotion and other equipment, they will take less for the massage, which you can pass the rest on to the guest.
If you advertise it as not including tips, most guests will bring a little cash to give the therapist. I would also say that most guests who would stay at your B&B are probably a little on the affluent side, so they are willing to tip well. Providing a well equipped room with little hassle for a massage therapist will attract good therapists.

Tough love moment
heart.gif

Typo there -- hubby said he does NOT think my hands are strong enough to be a massage therapist.
confused_smile.gif

Turns out we do have options with that room. We measured the closet. It is 63.5 inches wide. Not wide enough for a king but just barely wide enough for a queen (queens are 60" wide). If we had a platform or shelving built at the head of the bed (18''-24" say) for C-paps or electronics or whatever, that would leave about 3.5 feet of the length of the bed sticking out from the former closet. If the bed is on wheels, it could be rolled out to change the linens and then rolled back in. Carpet would have to go and be replaced with hardwood -- but I wanted to do that anyway.
I could see it really being a romantic nook bed with sconces on the wall for reading and maybe have the widened opening draped with fabric and a valence across the top. It could be similar to the pic below. I like the idea of wallpaper (but not THAT wallpaper) inside too.
regular_smile.gif

4d1a821f74c199d0b6e20d9b1598d7a6.jpg

From inside the closet where one would be lying on the bed, the TV as it now hangs on the wall would be viewable. An armoire could go kitty corner in the funky corner, the vanity where it is now and a chair or even loveseat where the daybed currently sits. Hmmmm...
I wonder which use of the room would be the most profitable -- a spa or a queen room?

Tough love moment
heart.gif

Typo there -- hubby said he does NOT think my hands are strong enough to be a massage therapist.
confused_smile.gif

Turns out we do have options with that room. We measured the closet. It is 63.5 inches wide. Not wide enough for a king but just barely wide enough for a queen (queens are 60" wide). If we had a platform or shelving built at the head of the bed (18''-24" say) for C-paps or electronics or whatever, that would leave about 3.5 feet of the length of the bed sticking out from the former closet. If the bed is on wheels, it could be rolled out to change the linens and then rolled back in. Carpet would have to go and be replaced with hardwood -- but I wanted to do that anyway.
I could see it really being a romantic nook bed with sconces on the wall for reading and maybe have the widened opening draped with fabric and a valence across the top. It could be similar to the pic below. I like the idea of wallpaper (but not THAT wallpaper) inside too.
regular_smile.gif

From inside the closet where one would be lying on the bed, the TV as it now hangs on the wall would be viewable. An armoire could go kitty corner in the funky corner, the vanity where it is now and a chair or even loveseat where the daybed currently sits. Hmmmm...
I wonder which use of the room would be the most profitable -- a spa or a queen room?
I really don't think many of your guests would like that bed arrangement. It looks like it would be difficult to get in the bed, and claustrophobic. Are there not a few walls you could knock out?

Tough love moment
heart.gif

confused_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

I love having the bed in the closet. As long as there is enough room to get in and out of the bed. No one wants to be waking someone up by crawling around or whacking a shin.(I wanted to do that in my own bedroom as we have a lot of extra closets where we can put our clothes. Never got around to it.)
We saw a room like that in an inn we looked at buying. It wasn't a walk in closet, tho, just a standard depth.
The saying is 'heads in beds' that's where your money is. But. Big but. 2-3 massages in one day is one room rental. Can you get that many massages? What's your cut?
And, as jb mentioned - you're getting all different opinions on that bed in the closet thing!
Hoping this comes out as a link - <

Tough love moment
heart.gif

confused_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Queen room

Tough love moment
heart.gif

confused_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

personally, I would not like that. You need to be able to get in and out of the darn bed without crawling off the end of it.

Back