Pricing a twin room

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tough love moment
heart.gif

There is no such thing as a twin room at a bed and breakfast.
You were going to be an upscale inn originally, and now you mention a twin bed. There is no place at an inn for a twin bed, full stop. If it were me I would use it as a dedicated spa room, where folks can get their massage and/or spa treatments. I would throw the $ at the other rooms and consider this one last, you can make it a spa room easily enough until you decide to do something else.
You are starting from scratch, considering a twin room is an anathema..
I think this is exactly what you should do. We would do it if we had a room. Shelley is also a massage therapist, but we just don't have the room for her massage table anywhere. That room seems perfect for it. Guests will pay extra to have a massage done onsite. They don' t have to put on make up or get dressed to go to an off site location. They can get their massage, then get back to their room for a nap.
Between putting in a twin bed and making a massage room, you will do MUCH better doing the spa room.
What was involved in Shelley becoming a massage therapist? Docbones seems to think my hands are strong enough to do it. Are really strong hands really a requirement? I do have a weakened left thumb where a pair of scissors slipped and cut my extensor tendon. (I can't be trusted with anything sharp -- I'm forever slicing something I didn't intend to.)
Docbones is also hedging now on doing his OMT here for liability reasons. Bummer...
from previous massages id say firm not hard but there is quite a bit of leaning over to be considered even with a proper table - think you can do a weeks course to be qualified doesn't take much.
Typo there -- hubby said he does NOT think my hands are strong enough to be a massage therapist.
confused_smile.gif

Turns out we do have options with that room. We measured the closet. It is 63.5 inches wide. Not wide enough for a king but just barely wide enough for a queen (queens are 60" wide). If we had a platform or shelving built at the head of the bed (18''-24" say) for C-paps or electronics or whatever, that would leave about 3.5 feet of the length of the bed sticking out from the former closet. If the bed is on wheels, it could be rolled out to change the linens and then rolled back in. Carpet would have to go and be replaced with hardwood -- but I wanted to do that anyway.
I could see it really being a romantic nook bed with sconces on the wall for reading and maybe have the widened opening draped with fabric and a valence across the top. It could be similar to the pic below. I like the idea of wallpaper (but not THAT wallpaper) inside too.
regular_smile.gif

4d1a821f74c199d0b6e20d9b1598d7a6.jpg

From inside the closet where one would be lying on the bed, the TV as it now hangs on the wall would be viewable. An armoire could go kitty corner in the funky corner, the vanity where it is now and a chair or even loveseat where the daybed currently sits. Hmmmm...
I wonder which use of the room would be the most profitable -- a spa or a queen room?
personally, I would not like that. You need to be able to get in and out of the darn bed without crawling off the end of it.
About 3.5 to 4 feet of the side of the bed would be accessible from the non-wall side. But yeah -- the person on the wall side would have to crawl off the bottom of the bed. Not ideal, for sure.

Tough love moment
heart.gif

You were going to be an upscale inn originally, and now you mention a twin bed. There is no place at an inn for a twin bed, full stop. If it were me I would use it as a dedicated spa room, where folks can get their massage and/or spa treatments. I would throw the $ at the other rooms and consider this one last, you can make it a spa room easily enough until you decide to do something else.
I think this is exactly what you should do. We would do it if we had a room. Shelley is also a massage therapist, but we just don't have the room for her massage table anywhere. That room seems perfect for it. Guests will pay extra to have a massage done onsite. They don' t have to put on make up or get dressed to go to an off site location. They can get their massage, then get back to their room for a nap.
Between putting in a twin bed and making a massage room, you will do MUCH better doing the spa room.
What was involved in Shelley becoming a massage therapist? Docbones seems to think my hands are strong enough to do it. Are really strong hands really a requirement? I do have a weakened left thumb where a pair of scissors slipped and cut my extensor tendon. (I can't be trusted with anything sharp -- I'm forever slicing something I didn't intend to.)
Docbones is also hedging now on doing his OMT here for liability reasons. Bummer...
from previous massages id say firm not hard but there is quite a bit of leaning over to be considered even with a proper table - think you can do a weeks course to be qualified doesn't take much.
Typo there -- hubby said he does NOT think my hands are strong enough to be a massage therapist.
confused_smile.gif

Turns out we do have options with that room. We measured the closet. It is 63.5 inches wide. Not wide enough for a king but just barely wide enough for a queen (queens are 60" wide). If we had a platform or shelving built at the head of the bed (18''-24" say) for C-paps or electronics or whatever, that would leave about 3.5 feet of the length of the bed sticking out from the former closet. If the bed is on wheels, it could be rolled out to change the linens and then rolled back in. Carpet would have to go and be replaced with hardwood -- but I wanted to do that anyway.
I could see it really being a romantic nook bed with sconces on the wall for reading and maybe have the widened opening draped with fabric and a valence across the top. It could be similar to the pic below. I like the idea of wallpaper (but not THAT wallpaper) inside too.
regular_smile.gif

From inside the closet where one would be lying on the bed, the TV as it now hangs on the wall would be viewable. An armoire could go kitty corner in the funky corner, the vanity where it is now and a chair or even loveseat where the daybed currently sits. Hmmmm...
I wonder which use of the room would be the most profitable -- a spa or a queen room?
personally, I would not like that. You need to be able to get in and out of the darn bed without crawling off the end of it.
About 3.5 to 4 feet of the side of the bed would be accessible from the non-wall side. But yeah -- the person on the wall side would have to crawl off the bottom of the bed. Not ideal, for sure.
Aspiring Martha said:
Don't do it if one person can't get out of the bed without crawling over the other. We deal with all kinds of crap at home, we don't want that on vacation!
And I am amazed at room photos I've seen where there is no head board, no night table, no lighting and one long side of the bed is against the wall. Dude! Pamper me!

Seashanty asked me to post pics of my weird room so here they are.
The only wall to "host" a bed:
twin%201.jpg

The funky corner:
twin%205.jpg

The door issues:
twin%202.jpg
twin%203.jpg
twin%204.jpg
Aspiring Martha said:
Can you knock out this whole wall out, from corner to corner? Put a corner table in the right corner with the bed coming out from that corner at a slant. Or will that door be in the way? What is on the other side of that door/wall? Can you widen it into that room? From the photo it looks like a wide open space? Just a thought, I'm not in construction so it might not work.

Tough love moment
heart.gif

confused_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

We were measuring a room for possibly putting a kind bed in there, looking at the space between the bed and the wall. You'll probably get several other opinions, but I think 18 inches is the bare minimum for room. More is better, of course, but 18 inches will give a medium sized person room to scoot sideways.
In my humble opinion, I'm voting for the spa room. I don't know what your market is in your location, but if a local place charges $60/hour, you could easily charge $70 to $80 for the convenience of onsite. I have paid that at a resort with no problem. If you supply all the equipment, you could get a massage therapist to take $50 of that, the rest is yours. It's another feather in your marketing cap. It makes for a great addition to packages.
The massage therapist that we use (not onsite but within walking distance) gives us a free hour massage with every 5 or 6 people we send her. So that is an added bonus as well. Massages are not just for guests!

Tough love moment
heart.gif

confused_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

We were measuring a room for possibly putting a kind bed in there, looking at the space between the bed and the wall. You'll probably get several other opinions, but I think 18 inches is the bare minimum for room. More is better, of course, but 18 inches will give a medium sized person room to scoot sideways.
In my humble opinion, I'm voting for the spa room. I don't know what your market is in your location, but if a local place charges $60/hour, you could easily charge $70 to $80 for the convenience of onsite. I have paid that at a resort with no problem. If you supply all the equipment, you could get a massage therapist to take $50 of that, the rest is yours. It's another feather in your marketing cap. It makes for a great addition to packages.
The massage therapist that we use (not onsite but within walking distance) gives us a free hour massage with every 5 or 6 people we send her. So that is an added bonus as well. Massages are not just for guests!
I think the 18" is a good number. Even for the making of the beds. Do we have that here? Not in every room. One tight squeeze has 12" nightstands (where there used to be none, gotta get creative!)
I think maybe the original beds were going to be doubles. Even the position of light fixtures over the beds indicates the beds were going to be smaller.

Back