Pro Photos Received

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I was sent the photos tonight. They are in dropbox (I do not have a Dropbox Account but I guess I will have to set one up now. I have no idea how to get them to my computer. My saves did not work. Cannot figure out how put them on the disc from Dropbox.
I THOUGHT I had saved them - they did not take. Dropbox has that mandatory arbitration crap. I really do not like their terms. Photographer gave me instruction. Woohoo.
Anyway - here is the link to my photos. What think you folks? Choose that you think I should use for new rack cards and new photos for my web site. Give me photo numbers.
Photo link

I don't see photo numbers. If it's not just me should we say Rows 1 - 6 and Columns A - E?
So the photo of the house would be 1A. The last photo would be 6D.

I don't see photo numbers. If it's not just me should we say Rows 1 - 6 and Columns A - E?
So the photo of the house would be 1A. The last photo would be 6D..
That would work. The numbers came up as I was clicking on them (1-29) etc (that was the first one 1A)

Click on first picture. It comes up big and large. Below it says "1 of 29" with two arrows. The numbers change as you move from one to another.

Number 1 for rackcard front if you can position to show as little of wiring as possible or use photoshop to remove some

nice pictures I hope it's okay to give opinions not just choices? .... 1 I think I'd zoom in about 50% 2 - I wish they showed some potted flowers and pillows on your porch - I know you had some out there maybe after a family visit? , 7 for bikers, 17 is sweet, 20 showing breakfast 29 for the rustic wedding

I liked 4, 11, 15, 17, 19, & 21. Those were my favorite of the bunch.

nice pictures I hope it's okay to give opinions not just choices? .... 1 I think I'd zoom in about 50% 2 - I wish they showed some potted flowers and pillows on your porch - I know you had some out there maybe after a family visit? , 7 for bikers, 17 is sweet, 20 showing breakfast 29 for the rustic wedding.
I had taken the pillows on for the winter and forgot to put them back out.

nice pictures I hope it's okay to give opinions not just choices? .... 1 I think I'd zoom in about 50% 2 - I wish they showed some potted flowers and pillows on your porch - I know you had some out there maybe after a family visit? , 7 for bikers, 17 is sweet, 20 showing breakfast 29 for the rustic wedding.
I had taken the pillows on for the winter and forgot to put them back out.
they are great pictures. :)

Click on first picture. It comes up big and large. Below it says "1 of 29" with two arrows. The numbers change as you move from one to another.
Duff2014 said:
Thank you!

I would like to give my opinion too, considering that photography is my hobby.
An important question: were the photos taken in RAW format and processed via Lightroom? I see a lot of room for improvement if you have the RAW files and the photographer didn't bother with them. Decreasing highlights and increasing vibrance can do wonders!
1. Your front photos are always quite zoomed in without a lot of space around the building. What do you have across the street, is there another house blocking the photographer from taking a few more steps back? Or are the surrounding (left and right) buildings ugly and you are cropping out as much as possible out of them?
2. Nice shot, though it would have been totally cool if the sign on the wall would be readable, and there would be no ashtray on the table (is that an ashtray)?
3. Good job!
10. That's a really tall bed! I'm not sure I like the cropping though, the left side cuts the bed at a weird part.
12. Cool
13. That's a fantastic photo! You can create a collage with another tall photo and make it of a more usable size (tall photos are difficult to use). I love this one! I think in Photoshop you could try aligning the painting with the vertical door line, as it looks a little crooked in the photo.
15. Cropping is much better than #14.
16. The camera should have been positioned a little higher, not at an infant's view height.
20. Wow!
25. I wonder if the photographer used the Lens Correction: Distortion in Lightroom, so as to compensate for the stretching of the corners when using a ultrawide lens.
29. Cropping is much better than #28. Don't be shy showing off your wooden ceiling - it is an asset, not something to crop out of a photo!

An important question: were the photos taken in RAW format and processed via Lightroom? I see a lot of room for improvement if you have the RAW files and the photographer didn't bother with them. Decreasing highlights and increasing vibrance can do wonders!
1. Your front photos are always quite zoomed in without a lot of space around the building. What do you have across the street, is there another house blocking the photographer from taking a few more steps back? Or are the surrounding (left and right) buildings ugly and you are cropping out as much as possible out of them?
2. Nice shot, though it would have been totally cool if the sign on the wall would be readable, and there would be no ashtray on the table (is that an ashtray)?
3. Good job!
10. That's a really tall bed! I'm not sure I like the cropping though, the left side cuts the bed at a weird part.
12. Cool
13. That's a fantastic photo! You can create a collage with another tall photo and make it of a more usable size (tall photos are difficult to use). I love this one! I think in Photoshop you could try aligning the painting with the vertical door line, as it looks a little crooked in the photo.
16. The camera should have been positioned a little higher, not at an infant's view height.
20. Wow!
25. I wonder if the photographer used the Lens Correction: Distortion in Lightroom, so as to compensate for the stretching of the corners when using a ultrawide lens.
29. Cropping is much better than #28. Don't be shy showing off your wooden ceiling - it is an asset, not something to crop out of a photo!.
dumitru said:
All opinions welcome. That is how I learn other perspectives.
I think he worked with the photos.
Looking at the house with the camera, on the right is a quite unattractive physical therapy office that was built as a post office originally so you know it was never pretty.
There are tiki candles and that may be the crystal ashtray also
3. Good job!
The bed in #3 is actually higher off the floor. This headboard was custom made to replace nightstands - too tight space with the king bed
12. Cool
20. Wow!
29. Cropping is much better than #28. Don't be shy showing off your wooden ceiling - it is an asset, not something to crop out of a photo!
This is actually the 1778 2-story log house where we do the ceremony for the elopements. It is not my house. I wanted a great photo of it also

Keep the comments coming, my friends. I was kind of disappointed when I first saw them and kind of expected to have more photos. I was hoping for Ju mp ing Ro cks but I do (and always have) realize that I have no sense of decor and the poor man could only work with what is there. (Himself had a news photog friend who said shoot from low - his Lordships criticisms were that he shot from too high (I must be reminded he is an expert on everything).
I do not do 10 pillows on the bed - I do not want them put on the floor and there is nowhere else to put them although I know all those pillows give pizzazz.
I am trying to hone in on which ones to use for the rack cards and web site.

Row 3, photo 5 (last one) is my favorite room photo.
Exterior shot with the biker - my favorite photo of all!

I emailed you this Facebook cover if you want to use it. No text added about the B&B name as it is already put on there by FB (which is why I let that area void-ish as it will be covered up). Note - everyone on FB today I see we have @ just below our B&B names, finally!
Facebook%20cover-%20welcome%20Home%20Gillum%20House%20bed%20and%20breakfast%20Shinnston%20West%20Virginia%20WV.jpg

I emailed you this Facebook cover if you want to use it. No text added about the B&B name as it is already put on there by FB (which is why I let that area void-ish as it will be covered up). Note - everyone on FB today I see we have @ just below our B&B names, finally!
Facebook%20cover-%20welcome%20Home%20Gillum%20House%20bed%20and%20breakfast%20Shinnston%20West%20Virginia%20WV.jpg
I am totally grateful - it is already up. Innmates are super friends.

When combining photos it is always a good idea to leave an equal amount of space (margins) between them. This collage would look better (imo) with a 5px white spacing between all the photos (vertically and horizontally).

When combining photos it is always a good idea to leave an equal amount of space (margins) between them. This collage would look better (imo) with a 5px white spacing between all the photos (vertically and horizontally).
regular_smile.gif
dumitru said:
I agree in most instances, I personally prefer no borders for Facebook. But what I do think everyone should do is check their Facebook header on mobile devices (to make sure that if they have added text on the image that it is showing, and not hidden-off the page) if they want it to show.
and yes the header does look fantastic, thanks for the kind words.

Back