Really? 3 Stars?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, funny coincidence. We had our health inspection today. Other Innkeeper asked her to check that room for smell and (as we expected), she said there was no smell. Should I mention that in my response?
We got a 100% BTW
shades_smile.gif
Kay Nein said:
So, funny coincidence. We had our health inspection today. Other Innkeeper asked her to check that room for smell and (as we expected), she said there was no smell. Should I mention that in my response?
We got a 100% BTW
shades_smile.gif
sure. something like, "We were alarmed by your mention of a foul odor, as we had never had any complaints like that before, so we immediately checked the room. In fact, we had a health inspector check the room as well and none of us could find evidence of any odor. I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay and pleased that you were kind enough to mention our terrific location. Our guests generally enjoy the feel, romance, architecture and charm of an antique home, but we understand that is not everyone's cup of tea."
what I didn't say;
The number for the Hampton Inn is .... OR
Maybe you'd prefer a sterile, modern Marriott.....
(I just posted a whole bunch of responses on my TA page. For the lady who didn't like the pillows, I just ignored it. People I've talked to all have said, "but people have allergies!" so I think we're fine leaving it there.)

We got a 100% BTW
shades_smile.gif
Do you perchance have Boxwood growing around your house? To me (and others) that always smell very similar to cat pee.

We got a 100% BTW
shades_smile.gif
Kay Nein said:
We got a 100% BTW
shades_smile.gif
sure. something like, "We were alarmed by your mention of a foul odor, as we had never had any complaints like that before, so we immediately checked the room. In fact, we had a health inspector check the room as well and none of us could find evidence of any odor. I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay and pleased that you were kind enough to mention our terrific location. Our guests generally enjoy the feel, romance, architecture and charm of an antique home, but we understand that is not everyone's cup of tea."
YES having the health inspector show up was fortuitous.
One thing we rarely do is use the S word.

We got a 100% BTW
shades_smile.gif
Do you perchance have Boxwood growing around your house? To me (and others) that always smell very similar to cat pee.
No, I don't think we do.

i can't stand perfume or cologne with musk in it. that smells like urine to me. just sayin'

We got a new TA review. A couple who we upgraded $30 and I gave them info on a local concert to walk to that was only $10, and more. Gave us a great review and dropped a couple bubbles for location and service. Mentioned the great service and attitude, but not full bubbles.
People are fickle. Weird isn't it. I don't care, just mentioning how as they say in Toastmasters "Lizard brains" (I just read that term today oh wait Seth talks about it here) Yes I googled it.

We got a new TA review. A couple who we upgraded $30 and I gave them info on a local concert to walk to that was only $10, and more. Gave us a great review and dropped a couple bubbles for location and service. Mentioned the great service and attitude, but not full bubbles.
People are fickle. Weird isn't it. I don't care, just mentioning how as they say in Toastmasters "Lizard brains" (I just read that term today oh wait Seth talks about it here) Yes I googled it..
I was surprised when I saw a very good review with only 3 bubbles for 'service.' What, exactly, were they expecting? We refresh the rooms, give bottled water, 24 hour coffee, wine glasses, water glasses, fresh fruit always available, a nice breakfast for 2 hours and are around almost all the time.
What did we miss?

People are fickle. Weird isn't it. I don't care, just mentioning how as they say in Toastmasters "Lizard brains" (I just read that term today oh wait Seth talks about it here) Yes I googled it..
I was surprised when I saw a very good review with only 3 bubbles for 'service.' What, exactly, were they expecting? We refresh the rooms, give bottled water, 24 hour coffee, wine glasses, water glasses, fresh fruit always available, a nice breakfast for 2 hours and are around almost all the time.
What did we miss?
TheBeachHouse said:
What did we miss?
The red carpet, the butler in attendance, the ladies maid, and the valet of course! There was no one there to hand them their heated towel as they exited the shower. Eeeewww!! (shudder) bad thought!

What did we miss?
TheBeachHouse said:
What did we miss?
The red carpet, the butler in attendance, the ladies maid, and the valet of course! There was no one there to hand them their heated towel as they exited the shower. Eeeewww!! (shudder) bad thought!
gillumhouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
What did we miss?
You're right. We suck at this. ;)

btw - we ran into the PO at an event we were sponsoring. She took a look at our brochure and commented that our rates were VEEERRRRY reasonable. Implying we were charging too little.
The truth is, we charge about the same as the other two inns on our street.

What did we miss?
People are strange. Just keep that in mind.
We've been dinged on value after the guests told us they had to pay in Boston for everything they got here for free.
Dinged for value when the room was totally free.
Dinged for 'sleep' when a truck used Jake brakes at 7am.
We get dinged for 'not gourmet' when we never say this is going to be a gourmet breakfast.
Guests have expectations based on the last place they stayed or the place they stayed 20 years ago. All we can hope for is the last place wasn't that great! ;-)

What did we miss?
People are strange. Just keep that in mind.
We've been dinged on value after the guests told us they had to pay in Boston for everything they got here for free.
Dinged for value when the room was totally free.
Dinged for 'sleep' when a truck used Jake brakes at 7am.
We get dinged for 'not gourmet' when we never say this is going to be a gourmet breakfast.
Guests have expectations based on the last place they stayed or the place they stayed 20 years ago. All we can hope for is the last place wasn't that great! ;-)

What did we miss?
TheBeachHouse said:
What did we miss?
and they even got a book online discount! :) (plus $30 upgrade x 2 nights = $60)
Table service. Home-cooked breakfast. It is what it is. Odd, as it is.

Ok, here's my response draft #1 -
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your travels through our area. We are pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast and our fantastic location in the heart of downtown. We are fortunate to have such a wide range of excellent shops, dining and entertainment within walking distance.
We were booked solid that night and apologize for the “to the point” and “business-like” impression you received. With eight rooms, it gets a little hectic during check-ins. But, we are a happy-go-lucky bunch and enjoy having a great time with our guests and making them feel welcome. Sometimes we have to remind ourselves that this IS a business and not a house full of old friends!

We were alarmed by your mention of a foul odor, as we had never had any complaints like that before. In fact, we often hear surprise that our Inn doesn’t smell musty or old as some would expect from a building this age. As luck would have it, we had our bi-annual health inspection today. The inspector checked that room for a smell, but none could be found. I am certain that you smelled that outside, though I have not seen any stray cats in some time.

The Cabin room is decorated to simulate a cabin experience. The two one-burner wood stoves are very petite and serve as the nightstands, hardly taking up any space and adding to the rustic feel.

We sincerely hope that you choose to stay with us again. All of our rooms are so different in feel, location and accessibility that we can surely meet your needs now that we know what they are.

So you're not specifically saying there is no cat in the house?

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your travels through our area. We are pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast and our fantastic location in the heart of downtown. We are fortunate to have such a wide range of excellent shops, dining and entertainment within walking distance.
We were booked solid that night and apologize for the “to the point” and “business-like” impression you received. With eight rooms, it gets a little hectic during check-ins. But, we are a happy-go-lucky bunch and enjoy having a great time with our guests and making them feel welcome. Sometimes we have to remind ourselves that this IS a business and not a house full of old friends!

We were alarmed by your mention of a foul odor, as we had never had any complaints like that before. In fact, we often hear surprise that our Inn doesn’t smell musty or old as some would expect from a building this age. As luck would have it, we had our bi-annual health inspection today. The inspector checked that room for a smell, but none could be found. I am certain that you smelled that outside, though I have not seen any stray cats in some time.

The Cabin room is decorated to simulate a cabin experience. The two one-burner wood stoves are very petite and serve as the nightstands, hardly taking up any space and adding to the rustic feel.

We sincerely hope that you choose to stay with us again. All of our rooms are so different in feel, location and accessibility that we can surely meet your needs now that we know what they are..
If you don't mind me saying so I think the comment about the odor is a big issue and I don't think you are addressing it aggressively enough, I would say there are no pets on the premises (I'm assuming that), I'd take out the bit about the old building not smelling musty cos that gives the idea that there may be some credence to the reviewers comments.
Personally I wouldn't say "We sincerely hope that you choose to stay with us again." because that isn't true, I wouldn't want them back.

We sincerely hope that you choose to stay with us again. All of our rooms are so different in feel, location and accessibility that we can surely meet your needs now that we know what they are..
If you don't mind me saying so I think the comment about the odor is a big issue and I don't think you are addressing it aggressively enough, I would say there are no pets on the premises (I'm assuming that), I'd take out the bit about the old building not smelling musty cos that gives the idea that there may be some credence to the reviewers comments.
Personally I wouldn't say "We sincerely hope that you choose to stay with us again." because that isn't true, I wouldn't want them back.
Good points. I was trying to play nice
angel_smile.gif

I know they won't come back, I was just using that line as a way to show that we can meet specific needs if people tell us what they are. I have people ask me for a quiet room and I can direct them to the ones that are quietER, but also warn them of potential noise so they aren't surprised/disappointed when they stay. (ie: bar bahind us that has outside music until 10pm and the fire/police departments one block away that come blaring down our street with sirens.)
Do you still think I should take that out? if so, what would your closing be?

After all this time I still don't know how to make the quote thingy work to capture just one section.
embaressed_smile.gif

This is just one crazy innkeepers opinion, so take it in or leave in the rain.
We try REALLY hard to avoid using the S word or A word. We were taught that this reinforces the belief of the reader and guest that you think you were wrong. It increases the sense of entitlement of the wronged and makes others wonder what you did to make it right.
This is also something we do to protect ourselves and to remind ourselves that we can work at improving something without being sorry about the way it is.
I might go with something like, "Even when the inn is full, we most often are able to share some personal time with all of our guests. Check-in can be a busy time and seem a little business like, but we are a happy.....

Oh well...off the cuff.. your review reply was quite good

Haps,
What is the S or A word? I know I am being daft. I can't figure it out. You said it before and I didn't ask, but thought I will this time!

Back