Really? 3 Stars?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, here's my response draft #1 -
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your travels through our area. We are pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast and our fantastic location in the heart of downtown. We are fortunate to have such a wide range of excellent shops, dining and entertainment within walking distance.
We were booked solid that night and apologize for the “to the point” and “business-like” impression you received. With eight rooms, it gets a little hectic during check-ins. But, we are a happy-go-lucky bunch and enjoy having a great time with our guests and making them feel welcome. Sometimes we have to remind ourselves that this IS a business and not a house full of old friends!

We were alarmed by your mention of a foul odor, as we had never had any complaints like that before. In fact, we often hear surprise that our Inn doesn’t smell musty or old as some would expect from a building this age. As luck would have it, we had our bi-annual health inspection today. The inspector checked that room for a smell, but none could be found. I am certain that you smelled that outside, though I have not seen any stray cats in some time.

The Cabin room is decorated to simulate a cabin experience. The two one-burner wood stoves are very petite and serve as the nightstands, hardly taking up any space and adding to the rustic feel.

We sincerely hope that you choose to stay with us again. All of our rooms are so different in feel, location and accessibility that we can surely meet your needs now that we know what they are..
After all this time I still don't know how to make the quote thingy work to capture just one section.
embaressed_smile.gif

This is just one crazy innkeepers opinion, so take it in or leave in the rain.
We try REALLY hard to avoid using the S word or A word. We were taught that this reinforces the belief of the reader and guest that you think you were wrong. It increases the sense of entitlement of the wronged and makes others wonder what you did to make it right.
This is also something we do to protect ourselves and to remind ourselves that we can work at improving something without being sorry about the way it is.
I might go with something like, "Even when the inn is full, we most often are able to share some personal time with all of our guests. Check-in can be a busy time and seem a little business like, but we are a happy.....

Oh well...off the cuff.. your review reply was quite good
No, those are great points. And I like that rewrite.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your travels through our area. We are pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast and our fantastic location in the heart of downtown. We are fortunate to have such a wide range of excellent shops, dining and entertainment within walking distance.
We were booked solid that night and apologize for the “to the point” and “business-like” impression you received. With eight rooms, it gets a little hectic during check-ins. But, we are a happy-go-lucky bunch and enjoy having a great time with our guests and making them feel welcome. Sometimes we have to remind ourselves that this IS a business and not a house full of old friends!

We were alarmed by your mention of a foul odor, as we had never had any complaints like that before. In fact, we often hear surprise that our Inn doesn’t smell musty or old as some would expect from a building this age. As luck would have it, we had our bi-annual health inspection today. The inspector checked that room for a smell, but none could be found. I am certain that you smelled that outside, though I have not seen any stray cats in some time.

The Cabin room is decorated to simulate a cabin experience. The two one-burner wood stoves are very petite and serve as the nightstands, hardly taking up any space and adding to the rustic feel.

We sincerely hope that you choose to stay with us again. All of our rooms are so different in feel, location and accessibility that we can surely meet your needs now that we know what they are..
If you don't mind me saying so I think the comment about the odor is a big issue and I don't think you are addressing it aggressively enough, I would say there are no pets on the premises (I'm assuming that), I'd take out the bit about the old building not smelling musty cos that gives the idea that there may be some credence to the reviewers comments.
Personally I wouldn't say "We sincerely hope that you choose to stay with us again." because that isn't true, I wouldn't want them back.
Good points. I was trying to play nice
angel_smile.gif

I know they won't come back, I was just using that line as a way to show that we can meet specific needs if people tell us what they are. I have people ask me for a quiet room and I can direct them to the ones that are quietER, but also warn them of potential noise so they aren't surprised/disappointed when they stay. (ie: bar bahind us that has outside music until 10pm and the fire/police departments one block away that come blaring down our street with sirens.)
Do you still think I should take that out? if so, what would your closing be?
Kay Nein said:
Good points. I was trying to play nice
angel_smile.gif
I don't know what your TA page looks like, if you have 2 reviews, one good and this one I would play nice. If you have lots of good reviews and this one I'd be a lot less nice.
Kay Nein said:
I know they won't come back, I was just using that line as a way to show that we can meet specific needs if people tell us what they are. I have people ask me for a quiet room and I can direct them to the ones that are quietER, but also warn them of potential noise so they aren't surprised/disappointed when they stay. (ie: bar bahind us that has outside music until 10pm and the fire/police departments one block away that come blaring down our street with sirens.)
Do you still think I should take that out? if so, what would your closing be?
Assuming this is your one bad review I'd say something along the lines of "We're sorry you were unhappy with your stay, we do our utmost to make every stay an enjoyable one and we are disappointed that in this 1 instance this was not the case".

After all this time I still don't know how to make the quote thingy work to capture just one section.
embaressed_smile.gif

We try REALLY hard to avoid using the S word or A word. We were taught that this reinforces the belief of the reader and guest that you think you were wrong. It increases the sense of entitlement of the wronged and makes others wonder what you did to make it right.
This is also something we do to protect ourselves and to remind ourselves that we can work at improving something without being sorry about the way it is.
I might go with something like, "Even when the inn is full, we most often are able to share some personal time with all of our guests. Check-in can be a busy time and seem a little business like, but we are a happy.....

happykeeper said:
I once did a communications course and on that they taught us that in a confrontational situation if you don't feel you are in the wrong you can diffuse the situation by apologizing but not actually for the thing in question.
So if someone says the bed is too hard, instead of saying "I'm sorry the bed wasn't comfortable" you say "I'm sorry the bed was not to your liking". You're not actually agreeing that there is something wrong but the other person still feels you've apologized.
The frequently used reply is "I'm sorry you feel that way", again not sorry for what you did.

Draft #2 -

Even when the inn is full, we most often are able to share some personal time with all of our guests. Check-in can be a busy time and seem a little business-like, but we are a happy-go-lucky bunch and enjoy having a great time with our guests and making them feel welcome. Sometimes we have to remind ourselves that this IS a business and not a house full of old friends!

We were alarmed by your mention of a foul odor, as we had never had any complaints like that before and we have never allowed animals inside our Inn. As luck would have it, we had our bi-annual health inspection today. The inspector checked that room for a smell, but none could be found. I am certain that you smelled that outside, though I have not seen any stray cats in some time.

It’s unfortunate that you were unhappy with your stay. We do our utmost to make every stay an enjoyable one and we are disappointed that in this one instance this was not the case

I think it's kind of long. I'd cut most of it back. Totally skip how busy you are. Either directly say there are no cats or don't mention cats at all and just stick with the health inspector not finding any smells.
1st paragraph fine.
Ok to describe the decor but reiterating the size of the stoves makes it sound like they might be too big or awkward in the space.

embaressed_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
I once did a communications course and on that they taught us that in a confrontational situation if you don't feel you are in the wrong you can diffuse the situation by apologizing but not actually for the thing in question.
So if someone says the bed is too hard, instead of saying "I'm sorry the bed wasn't comfortable" you say "I'm sorry the bed was not to your liking". You're not actually agreeing that there is something wrong but the other person still feels you've apologized.
The frequently used reply is "I'm sorry you feel that way", again not sorry for what you did.
For me, that might just make me mad. The undercurrent is that I am an exception, you are not sorry, and you will be doing nothing. It's like talking to the airlines.
tounge_smile.gif

If it were me I wouldn't spell it out so much, keep it simple sweetie.
But it wasn't me, I know when it is the person on the mgmt response you want to correct their errors, big time! I understand that completely.
"Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As always guest input is important to us. We wish you the best in your next B&B stay!
PS There are no animals living at the inn."

Cat urine?? She doesn't say inside or outside. Do you have boxwoods in your landscaping? I know this sounds weird, but I cannot stand the smell of boxwoods. They remind me of cat pee. Maybe that's what she smelled.
On a side note, I once had a woman complain of her sheets smelling like urine. What the....???!! I have a very sensitive sniffer and I sniffed all over their sheets, comforter, blanket, mattress pad, pillows and shams after they left for the day and could not smell a thing! I'm convinced that she must have dreamed the whole thing OR maybe it was her mentally disabled daughter's adult diapers that she was smelling! I re-washed everything and changed out the entire bed while they were out. Fortunately they didn't write a review.

embaressed_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
For me, that might just make me mad. The undercurrent is that I am an exception, you are not sorry, and you will be doing nothing. It's like talking to the airlines.
tounge_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
tounge_smile.gif
To be honest, if you are this guest I really don't care what you think, you're probably not going to come back, and I wouldn't want you back anyway. The purpose of the management response is to convince potential guests that you ARE an exception, your complaints are unreasonable and I'm doing the best I can for the majority of my customers.
tounge_smile.gif

embaressed_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
tounge_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
tounge_smile.gif
To be honest, if you are this guest I really don't care what you think, you're probably not going to come back, and I wouldn't want you back anyway. The purpose of the management response is to convince potential guests that you ARE an exception, your complaints are unreasonable and I'm doing the best I can for the majority of my customers.
tounge_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
tounge_smile.gif
Good points John.
happykeeper said:
The undercurrent is that I am an exception, you are not sorry, and you will be doing nothing.
Then John did a good, truthful job, because this guest IS an exception, John is NOT sorry, and should not be, and John will be doing nothing because nothing needs to be done.

I also would keep it as short as possible, and not address the reviewer directly. Responding to every single point they made is going to lose the reader. Maybe something like:

While we strive to ensure that all of our guests have an enjoyable experience here, we do realize a B&B is not for everyone. We are pleased that this guest enjoyed our scrumptious breakfast, the nicely decorated room and the location, which is within walking (?) distance to many of the town's wonderful shops and restaurants. We are both a bit perplexed, however, at the smells that this guest allegedly experienced. There are no animals at the inn, and no other guests had an issue with this.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with others. We sincerely hope your next B&B visit is more to your expectations.

Keep it positive, and short. I just don't see a need to address any of the other things she brought up.

Draft #2 -

Even when the inn is full, we most often are able to share some personal time with all of our guests. Check-in can be a busy time and seem a little business-like, but we are a happy-go-lucky bunch and enjoy having a great time with our guests and making them feel welcome. Sometimes we have to remind ourselves that this IS a business and not a house full of old friends!

We were alarmed by your mention of a foul odor, as we had never had any complaints like that before and we have never allowed animals inside our Inn. As luck would have it, we had our bi-annual health inspection today. The inspector checked that room for a smell, but none could be found. I am certain that you smelled that outside, though I have not seen any stray cats in some time.

It’s unfortunate that you were unhappy with your stay. We do our utmost to make every stay an enjoyable one and we are disappointed that in this one instance this was not the case.
It's too long. No one will read it. You're trying to hard. Cut, cut, cut.
You are still not saying there are NO cats at the inn. You're saying there ARE cats outside that you don't let in. In effect you're saying there's a distinct possibility this guest got a snootful of cat pee but not from a cat you've seen personally.
The longer the mgmt response the more likely the guest had a point.
In my traveler's head is the cat pee. I don't care about the nightstands, I can look at the photos of the rooms. I care about the awful smell.
Tell me there are no cats. Tell me you have no cats. Don't tell me there are feral cats you haven't seen for awhile.
"We were surprised by the comment about cat urine as we have never had cats at the inn. Luckily, our semi yearly inspection was done the day the guest left and the health inspector confirmed there were no cat smells anywhere in the inn."

embaressed_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
tounge_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
tounge_smile.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
tounge_smile.gif
Good points John.
happykeeper said:
The undercurrent is that I am an exception, you are not sorry, and you will be doing nothing.
Then John did a good, truthful job, because this guest IS an exception, John is NOT sorry, and should not be, and John will be doing nothing because nothing needs to be done.
Ouch! Let's just say John has it right and I'll slink off and finish putting in the new water pump.

embaressed_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
tounge_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
tounge_smile.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
tounge_smile.gif
Good points John.
happykeeper said:
its like I had one for room 4 this week - bed is Very comfortable ie to the point where 3 guests have gone from mine to the bed shop to buy one! (I should be on commission) complained it was uncomfortable (maybe for her) and there was a smell in the bathroom (which was never mentioned during the stay and no sign of the next day and not a general problem with this room) complained she could hear road noise - all pictures show us next to the road and she booked a last minute room for VERY busy time so should have been grateful to have anything at all! plus without her asking gave her a discount for single occupancy which I didn't need to do.
I am working on my response as don't have patience with people like that - all nice to your face and rude to your back.

I also would keep it as short as possible, and not address the reviewer directly. Responding to every single point they made is going to lose the reader. Maybe something like:

While we strive to ensure that all of our guests have an enjoyable experience here, we do realize a B&B is not for everyone. We are pleased that this guest enjoyed our scrumptious breakfast, the nicely decorated room and the location, which is within walking (?) distance to many of the town's wonderful shops and restaurants. We are both a bit perplexed, however, at the smells that this guest allegedly experienced. There are no animals at the inn, and no other guests had an issue with this.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with others. We sincerely hope your next B&B visit is more to your expectations.

Keep it positive, and short. I just don't see a need to address any of the other things she brought up..
This is a great response, Banana! It addresses the issue without giving undo emphasis and the reader can clearly see the person is not a B+B person.
thumbs_up.gif

embaressed_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
tounge_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
tounge_smile.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
tounge_smile.gif
Good points John.
happykeeper said:
Ouch! Let's just say John has it right and I'll slink off and finish putting in the new water pump.
happykeeper said:
Ah... now that's the idea.
I feel placated because I feel you've admitted I was right......... you feel good because in actual fact you didn't say I was right at all.
regular_smile.gif
regular_smile.gif
regular_smile.gif

What is the purpose of a management response on TA?
Go there and find the answer grasshopper.

Ok, I'm putting this to bed. Y'all are amazing! I'm so lucky to have so many business coaches at my service
wink_smile.gif

Here's what I'm going to post :
We appreciate our guests taking the time to share feedback. As always guest input is important to us. While we strive to ensure that all of our guests have an enjoyable experience here, we do realize a B&B is not for everyone. We are pleased that this guest enjoyed our scrumptious breakfast, the nicely decorated room and the location, which is within walking distance to many of the town's wonderful shops and restaurants. We are a bit perplexed, however, at the smells that this guest allegedly experienced. There are no animals at the inn, and no other guests had an issue with this. Luckily, our semi yearly inspection was done the day the guest left and the health inspector confirmed there were no cat smells anywhere in the inn.

I do not prefer review stars. I think this is not real and it could deceive you. If you rely on 3 or 2 stars then this might not be true.
  • Several australian gamblers are building the changeover to Online Casino Nederland. You will discover a good deal of strengths to on the web internet gambling .

Back