Remembering what Your B&B IS and ISN't

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbor recently told me he considered our landscaping, "tacky." Yes, he said that.
I have been wracking my brain and reexamining to see what is tacky!!!! We have perennial beds around the porch. (A brand new, very elegant, mahogany porch, btw.) The beds have azaleas, hydrangeas, lavender, hostas. Pretty standard sea-side New England stuff. The house came with a huge anchor that was nearly covered with crabgrass. We uncovered it and surrounded it with rocks so you can now see it. We put in a koi pond at a large expense.
He specifically mentioned gravel driveways. Every other house on this street and in this town have gravel driveways!
We are an antique, Dutch Colonial "Captain's House" across the street from the ocean in a town that is most well known for it's harbor featuring a red fishing shack.
I don't think we are tacky. I think we are "coastal comfortable.".
I think your neighbor is tacky for saying that. And probably jealous!
Morticia said:
full disclosure. we started it by telling him we disliked the copper siding and thought it didn't belong in this neighborhood. we hurt his feelings. this "Beetle Juice House" of his is his baby. Probably should have kept our opinion to ourselves.
He probably went to a great deal of expense to 'stand out' as he has in such an 'original' way. Hopefully you'll have a chance to patch things over in the spirit of neighborliness.
A fellow purchased the land across the creek from us then proceeded to allow friends to park their old boats there. Sigh. The vegetation IS re-growing. So far, only one guest has (privately) commented on it.
Anon Inn said:
He probably went to a great deal of expense to 'stand out' as he has in such an 'original' way. Hopefully you'll have a chance to patch things over in the spirit of neighborliness.
A fellow purchased the land across the creek from us then proceeded to allow friends to park their old boats there. Sigh. The vegetation IS re-growing. So far, only one guest has (privately) commented on it.
ALL of our guests comment on it and it is always negative.
He does not get it. People come to this town to experience old, quaint New England. Not for an architect show.

I understand your elegant desire. As we all know, I could not be elegant if I tried, BUT my wow factor is setting a table that is elegant. I remember Himself telling me about overhearing a returning rail-trail guest talking to the couples with them on their return visit (different friends this time). As the other couples came into the dining room, he was saying, "I told you so. Didn't I tell you."
At the time we had 3 with shared in a city (in WV over 2000 pop is a city) so small it does not hit the map, and the table was set with chargers, silver cutlery, bread plates with butter spreaders, goblet waters & juice (I used the wine goblets for juice), sherbets for the fruit dishes, cloth napkins with blown glass napkin rings.... That is my bit of elegant - my only bit..
Gillum, I use grandmother's silver here. I think many don't know the difference, but those who do, appreciate it. I like to think she would be glad it is still in use by a family member.

My neighbor recently told me he considered our landscaping, "tacky." Yes, he said that.
I have been wracking my brain and reexamining to see what is tacky!!!! We have perennial beds around the porch. (A brand new, very elegant, mahogany porch, btw.) The beds have azaleas, hydrangeas, lavender, hostas. Pretty standard sea-side New England stuff. The house came with a huge anchor that was nearly covered with crabgrass. We uncovered it and surrounded it with rocks so you can now see it. We put in a koi pond at a large expense.
He specifically mentioned gravel driveways. Every other house on this street and in this town have gravel driveways!
We are an antique, Dutch Colonial "Captain's House" across the street from the ocean in a town that is most well known for it's harbor featuring a red fishing shack.
We are a casually elegant 1880's once-upon-a-time summer estate nearby the sea.
But Beachie, cause we have a gravel driveway typical of the period along with many homes surrounding us, a 30something TA reviewer insisted that we be given only 3 Stars, cause no property with an unpaved driveway could possibly be given more.
Up until 100 years ago or so, every street and driveway was gravel or mud. Does that mean there were no 4 or 5 star hotels in the world until asphalt?

Morticia said:
full disclosure. we started it by telling him we disliked the copper siding and thought it didn't belong in this neighborhood. we hurt his feelings. this "Beetle Juice House" of his is his baby. Probably should have kept our opinion to ourselves.
Anon Inn said:
He does not get it. People come to this town to experience old, quaint New England. Not for an architect show.
Maybe about 5-10 rusty cars and pickups up on blocks would help...

I understand your elegant desire. As we all know, I could not be elegant if I tried, BUT my wow factor is setting a table that is elegant. I remember Himself telling me about overhearing a returning rail-trail guest talking to the couples with them on their return visit (different friends this time). As the other couples came into the dining room, he was saying, "I told you so. Didn't I tell you."
At the time we had 3 with shared in a city (in WV over 2000 pop is a city) so small it does not hit the map, and the table was set with chargers, silver cutlery, bread plates with butter spreaders, goblet waters & juice (I used the wine goblets for juice), sherbets for the fruit dishes, cloth napkins with blown glass napkin rings.... That is my bit of elegant - my only bit..
Gillum, I use grandmother's silver here. I think many don't know the difference, but those who do, appreciate it. I like to think she would be glad it is still in use by a family member.
Anon Inn said:
I love that you do that.

Anon Inn said:
I love that you do that.
heart.gif

We are targeting a very small destination spa - maritime/marine theme. Your voyage (Undersea) starts at the front door.
Inspiration was an older Alaska tourist theme "Once you leave Alaska, you never come all the way home." I did (5 weeks), and it is true.

Morticia said:
Anon Inn said:
Some nearby folks built a huge McMansion type place about 12 years ago. They build an airstrip and tried to sell 5 acre lots to folks who would fly in. (We're too far from the nearby cities to feasibly car commute). The airstrip idea didn't 'fly'. the locasl call the place 'the castle'. The hemlocks they planted along the highway have nearly removed the place from view. Some wear their egos on their sleeves, others in their architecture.
devil_smile.gif

Dishes, silver, linens, etc. were made to be used. I use my Granny's dishes, I use the goblets I acquired over the years (although I would be surprised if any of those originals still exist - breakage) - my kids broke their share of Granny's dishes. It bothers Himself when he breaks one - it is a dish and that is life.
Granny died with drawers full of pretty things that she "saved for good". I USE everything (ok, not her feedsack aprons) because pretty things need to be used to be admired and enjoyed. When I was still doing dinners, I used her salters with tiny glass spoons I found in an antique shop that were FOR salters, for the Parmesan cheese for the manicotti I made.
I am glad you are using your Grandmother's silver - it is not just taking up space, it is being used.

Our place is a 1800s mansion. But we aren't elegant so the place has to do it itself. We aim for a relax and comfortable style. As Happykeeper is always saying, "You need to be what guests you are targeting" So we are shooting for families and the working rich. Children are wowed by the place. One girl said, "Mommy, it's like a castle and its all ours!" Another child calls the place, "the princess house". We call it The House and it rules our lives!
wink_smile.gif

Our place is a 1800s mansion. But we aren't elegant so the place has to do it itself. We aim for a relax and comfortable style. As Happykeeper is always saying, "You need to be what guests you are targeting" So we are shooting for families and the working rich. Children are wowed by the place. One girl said, "Mommy, it's like a castle and its all ours!" Another child calls the place, "the princess house". We call it The House and it rules our lives!
wink_smile.gif
Duff2014 said:
wink_smile.gif
so cute!

wink_smile.gif
Duff2014 said:
wink_smile.gif
so cute!

But Beachie, cause we have a gravel driveway typical of the period along with many homes surrounding us, a 30something TA reviewer insisted that we be given only 3 Stars, cause no property with an unpaved driveway could possibly be given more.
When we finished building the inn in 2009, we were physically and financially exhausted. We had not planned (hadn't thought about) paving for the 700 feet of then gravel driveway.
When I joined the local association, the association president, an innkeeper, wanted to inspect my inn and she said she would have come by to visit on her motorcycle, but she mistrusted my steep, gravel drive. Ouch.
So ... we paved it. A wise move as the gravel was really a source of grit and dirt in the inn and was impossible to plow during the rare snow storm.
But hey, the Tesla parking spot is still gravel -- rustic splendor.

When we finished building the inn in 2009, we were physically and financially exhausted. We had not planned (hadn't thought about) paving for the 700 feet of then gravel driveway.
When I joined the local association, the association president, an innkeeper, wanted to inspect my inn and she said she would have come by to visit on her motorcycle, but she mistrusted my steep, gravel drive. Ouch.
So ... we paved it. A wise move as the gravel was really a source of grit and dirt in the inn and was impossible to plow during the rare snow storm.
Ain't happening here. We are a single lane circular driveway circa 1887 whenst owned by a Chicago lumber baron. Go to the big box cookie-cutter inns if you enjoy asphalt. Exactly my response on TA, amongst other choice tidbits.

Dishes, silver, linens, etc. were made to be used. I use my Granny's dishes, I use the goblets I acquired over the years (although I would be surprised if any of those originals still exist - breakage) - my kids broke their share of Granny's dishes. It bothers Himself when he breaks one - it is a dish and that is life.
Granny died with drawers full of pretty things that she "saved for good". I USE everything (ok, not her feedsack aprons) because pretty things need to be used to be admired and enjoyed. When I was still doing dinners, I used her salters with tiny glass spoons I found in an antique shop that were FOR salters, for the Parmesan cheese for the manicotti I made.
I am glad you are using your Grandmother's silver - it is not just taking up space, it is being used.
gillumhouse said:
Granny died with drawers full of pretty things that she "saved for good". I USE everything (ok, not her feedsack aprons)
OMG I would think these would be awesome! Now your talking my style.

Built a house in VT back in the 80's. Couldn't afford the paving on the really steep driveway and figured we'd be fine for a few years. First really heavy rainstorm I opened the garage door to see my car standing on 3 wheels in the drive. The 4 the was hanging in mid air over the 18" gulley that had washed out under the car.
Paving commenced in 2 weeks. Really helped in winter as the driveway faced south so if I ran the snowblower early enough the rest melted off while I was at work.
Would love paving stones but it might be too cold here. Afraid they would crack. Totally get keeping the grit down with the paving, the kids were always bringing pebbles in stuck in their sneaks.

seashanty said:
The recent posts about non dairy 'milk' and special diets got me to thinking ... and remembering ...
each b&b/inn has to find its own focus. You can't be all things to all people.
Me? I wanted the place to be elegant ...
Elegant? Smack in the middle of a fishing village with all that implies ... the best I could attain was charming.
Perhaps two miles away up on a cliff it could have been elegant ... but not in the middle of the often foggy, usually drippy, early morning noisy, fish smelling sea air atmosphere with real sailors swearing like ... well ... sailors. I gave them free coffee for the taking every day and cajoled them into not blocking my driveway with their trucks when they ran into the general store or not leaving them idling in the road ... or throttling down or whatever its called their fishing boats and cruising along as they passed the guest room windows instead of leaning on their boat horns. The fisherfolk (men and women) would come up to the back deck in their high rubber boots and help themselves to the coffee set up there in an airpot ... fill up their thermos or mugs or paper cups.
So it was friendly and folksy but not elegant. I'd have to hose off the back steps if it didn't rain but it was all part of the charm of the place. And once in a while someone would leave me a couple lobster.
:)
I love the sea, grew up on the most northern island in Germany. Your description is so "home" for me. I would love to stay, hear the fishermen swearing, smell the salt air and elegance does not come to mind. Another word, that I cannot translate does. I would feel at home at your place

Built a house in VT back in the 80's. Couldn't afford the paving on the really steep driveway and figured we'd be fine for a few years. First really heavy rainstorm I opened the garage door to see my car standing on 3 wheels in the drive. The 4 the was hanging in mid air over the 18" gulley that had washed out under the car.
Paving commenced in 2 weeks. Really helped in winter as the driveway faced south so if I ran the snowblower early enough the rest melted off while I was at work.
Would love paving stones but it might be too cold here. Afraid they would crack. Totally get keeping the grit down with the paving, the kids were always bringing pebbles in stuck in their sneaks.
we are gravel but both money and other issues have made it wait - want tarmack and clearly marked parking spaces!
We have had to take the back of the building on the ground floor off and put back on again and knew it would mean a lot of digging up and machinery in and out etc so was no way we were doing it before we did that and that was a big VERY expensive job. So now its bathroom of room 10 and redecorating the halls and landings - if my other plans don't come off.

A marketing piece for an event we are involved with describes our place as "an historic and majestic estate!" (we didn't write that copy!)
One of our units is the original house on the property, built around 1780 or so. It's got the original wide pine floor boards, now very worn and uneven; original plaster walls for the most part, but some of it is shows cracks; fireplaces in every room, although the old brick is crumbling and none of them are functional (except the woodstove insert in the main room).
To a few, it is unihabitable. To others though, "it is like a living history museum -- and we get to stay overnight!" (they love it, in other words)
So I guess I can go along with historic, but majestic? estate?
The majesty must be all about the view. We do try to keep the lawn mowed and the gardens weeded -- more or less.
We joke about at least having indoor plumbing and electric lights... "No televisions, radios, or telephones; no pools, hot tubs, or spas ... just quiet simplicity, peaceful views, waterfront activities, and friendly hospitality!"

A marketing piece for an event we are involved with describes our place as "an historic and majestic estate!" (we didn't write that copy!)
One of our units is the original house on the property, built around 1780 or so. It's got the original wide pine floor boards, now very worn and uneven; original plaster walls for the most part, but some of it is shows cracks; fireplaces in every room, although the old brick is crumbling and none of them are functional (except the woodstove insert in the main room).
To a few, it is unihabitable. To others though, "it is like a living history museum -- and we get to stay overnight!" (they love it, in other words)
So I guess I can go along with historic, but majestic? estate?
The majesty must be all about the view. We do try to keep the lawn mowed and the gardens weeded -- more or less.
We joke about at least having indoor plumbing and electric lights... "No televisions, radios, or telephones; no pools, hot tubs, or spas ... just quiet simplicity, peaceful views, waterfront activities, and friendly hospitality!".
It is gorgeous! Altho, technically that's what it is, it's not the picture I carry around in my head associated with the word estate.
Same way my house is not 'Victorian' in anything other than the era in which it was built.

Back