Remembering what Your B&B IS and ISN't

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbor recently told me he considered our landscaping, "tacky." Yes, he said that.
I have been wracking my brain and reexamining to see what is tacky!!!! We have perennial beds around the porch. (A brand new, very elegant, mahogany porch, btw.) The beds have azaleas, hydrangeas, lavender, hostas. Pretty standard sea-side New England stuff. The house came with a huge anchor that was nearly covered with crabgrass. We uncovered it and surrounded it with rocks so you can now see it. We put in a koi pond at a large expense.
He specifically mentioned gravel driveways. Every other house on this street and in this town have gravel driveways!
We are an antique, Dutch Colonial "Captain's House" across the street from the ocean in a town that is most well known for it's harbor featuring a red fishing shack.
I don't think we are tacky. I think we are "coastal comfortable.".
We are a casually elegant 1880's once-upon-a-time summer estate nearby the sea.
But Beachie, cause we have a gravel driveway typical of the period along with many homes surrounding us, a 30something TA reviewer insisted that we be given only 3 Stars, cause no property with an unpaved driveway could possibly be given more.
Momma Smurf said:
But Beachie, cause we have a gravel driveway typical of the period along with many homes surrounding us, a 30something TA reviewer insisted that we be given only 3 Stars, cause no property with an unpaved driveway could possibly be given more.
Martha Stewart has a gravel driveway at her place in Maine. (No joke, my brother was her arborist for several years, pruning the estate's trees.) Her gravel is pink marble, though, not gray granite. And she takes it in in the winter to make plowing easier.

My neighbor recently told me he considered our landscaping, "tacky." Yes, he said that.
I have been wracking my brain and reexamining to see what is tacky!!!! We have perennial beds around the porch. (A brand new, very elegant, mahogany porch, btw.) The beds have azaleas, hydrangeas, lavender, hostas. Pretty standard sea-side New England stuff. The house came with a huge anchor that was nearly covered with crabgrass. We uncovered it and surrounded it with rocks so you can now see it. We put in a koi pond at a large expense.
He specifically mentioned gravel driveways. Every other house on this street and in this town have gravel driveways!
We are an antique, Dutch Colonial "Captain's House" across the street from the ocean in a town that is most well known for it's harbor featuring a red fishing shack.
Momma Smurf said:
Martha Stewart has a gravel driveway at her place in Maine. (No joke, my brother was her arborist for several years, pruning the estate's trees.) Her gravel is pink marble, though, not gray granite. And she takes it in in the winter to make plowing easier.
TheBeachHouse said:
Momma Smurf said:
Martha Stewart - the only person in the world who brings her driveway inside for the winter.

Momma Smurf said:
Wow. did you respond?
We are pretty heartsick over what he has done to what used to be a scenic cottage as part of our cove view. Now, instead of part of our view of the cove, he is a huge focal point detracting from it.
Update. Last night this neighbor of the copper siding spent quite a bit of time simply staring at his unfinished house. I wonder if someone dropped a dime to the town about his unusual choice of siding. I found a line in the town zoning laws that mention 'keeping the character of the neighborhood' or something similar.
We did NOT call the building inspector. I am sure, if someone did, that he will think it was us but it wasn't.
Anyway, I hope he is rethinking his siding.
We don't mind that he expanded his house which covered part of our view. We approved that. It's his land. We just didn't like the huge departure from the look and feel of every other house on the road and, most of them in the town.

Momma Smurf said:
Wow. did you respond?
We are pretty heartsick over what he has done to what used to be a scenic cottage as part of our cove view. Now, instead of part of our view of the cove, he is a huge focal point detracting from it.
Update. Last night this neighbor of the copper siding spent quite a bit of time simply staring at his unfinished house. I wonder if someone dropped a dime to the town about his unusual choice of siding. I found a line in the town zoning laws that mention 'keeping the character of the neighborhood' or something similar.
We did NOT call the building inspector. I am sure, if someone did, that he will think it was us but it wasn't.
We don't mind that he expanded his house which covered part of our view. We approved that. It's his land. We just didn't like the huge departure from the look and feel of every other house on the road and, most of them in the town.
Most locals have zoning ordinances that protect the integrity of the area. Maybe the zoning officials turn that down without anyone sounding off.
I would think the zoning ordinance would also have a clause about obstruction of view - when it applies. I recall my BIL had this issue with a neighbor in his CA home. The neighbor added on to his home without a permit. The addition blocked my BIL's view of the ocean (in the one room with a small tidbit of a view) which would cut $$$$$$ from his home's value. He won and the owner had to remove the addition.

Momma Smurf said:
Wow. did you respond?
Most locals have zoning ordinances that protect the integrity of the area. Maybe the zoning officials turn that down without anyone sounding off.
I would think the zoning ordinance would also have a clause about obstruction of view - when it applies. I recall my BIL had this issue with a neighbor in his CA home. The neighbor added on to his home without a permit. The addition blocked my BIL's view of the ocean (in the one room with a small tidbit of a view) which would cut $$$$$$ from his home's value. He won and the owner had to remove the addition.
Copperhead said:
We were given the right to protest the permit. We didn't because we respect that it is his land. Our issue is with the character of the home, not the size.

Thinking about this as I changed out the tablecloths after breakfast. Tablecloths went from a summery cherry theme to a travel theme. (Make them myself.) I'm looking at the different S&P shakers and thinking I'm glad we got away from the 'gourmet' look because now I can buy these 'souvenir' S&P shakers and have kitschy stuff like dogs and cats. Nothing has to match.
Plus I got to buy the cutest 'skip jack' sheets the other day. Love them! Nice & crisp & fun. So that, with the lobsters and the seashells, make it a pleasure to make the beds. (OK, I'm joking. But at least I can smile at the cute sheets.)
So, yeah, it helps to find what makes you happy because you'll be able to transfer that confidence to your guests.
We looked at a place where they had 4-5 different sets of plates so guests wouldn't see the same thing 2 days in a row. I thought that was brilliant. Now I know it would not have worked for me.

Our place is a 1800s mansion. But we aren't elegant so the place has to do it itself. We aim for a relax and comfortable style. As Happykeeper is always saying, "You need to be what guests you are targeting" So we are shooting for families and the working rich. Children are wowed by the place. One girl said, "Mommy, it's like a castle and its all ours!" Another child calls the place, "the princess house". We call it The House and it rules our lives!
wink_smile.gif
Little girls have commented about ours, also. Daughters of some friends call it "our White House" and my niece calls it the "doll house!"

Thinking about this as I changed out the tablecloths after breakfast. Tablecloths went from a summery cherry theme to a travel theme. (Make them myself.) I'm looking at the different S&P shakers and thinking I'm glad we got away from the 'gourmet' look because now I can buy these 'souvenir' S&P shakers and have kitschy stuff like dogs and cats. Nothing has to match.
Plus I got to buy the cutest 'skip jack' sheets the other day. Love them! Nice & crisp & fun. So that, with the lobsters and the seashells, make it a pleasure to make the beds. (OK, I'm joking. But at least I can smile at the cute sheets.)
So, yeah, it helps to find what makes you happy because you'll be able to transfer that confidence to your guests.
We looked at a place where they had 4-5 different sets of plates so guests wouldn't see the same thing 2 days in a row. I thought that was brilliant. Now I know it would not have worked for me..
Morticia said:
We looked at a place where they had 4-5 different sets of plates so guests wouldn't see the same thing 2 days in a row. I thought that was brilliant. Now I know it would not have worked for me.
You know, I hadn't even thought about that. We got complete dish settings for 6 in an undersea color tone (dark blue) a few months back. Randomly, we got dish settings for 3 yesterday ("Oatmeal" color) at Bon Ton that were a really good deal. But that was just to have something else in the closet.
Also just got a second 53-piece of silverware at Bon Ton that was also a good deal.
Have a bunch of nice white towels and some bedspreads, but have not even started on the many King sheet sets/mattress protective covers we will need - waiting on deals. Man, the expenses of startup
One room will have a more hunting theme, so bought a couple fishing/hunting wind chimes at Bon Ton 75% off. I am very picky, but price is an object... No, I do not plan moose/deer antlers in that room, as I am sure some PETA or vegan types would object if they stayed there. You have to walk fine lines to theme while not upsetting various interest groups.

We looked at a place where they had 4-5 different sets of plates so guests wouldn't see the same thing 2 days in a row. I thought that was brilliant. Now I know it would not have worked for me..
Morticia said:
You know, I hadn't even thought about that. We got complete dish settings for 6 in an undersea color tone (dark blue) a few months back. Randomly, we got dish settings for 3 yesterday ("Oatmeal" color) at Bon Ton that were a really good deal. But that was just to have something else in the closet.
Also just got a second 53-piece of silverware at Bon Ton that was also a good deal.
Have a bunch of nice white towels and some bedspreads, but have not even started on the many King sheet sets/mattress protective covers we will need - waiting on deals. Man, the expenses of startup
One room will have a more hunting theme, so bought a couple fishing/hunting wind chimes at Bon Ton 75% off. I am very picky, but price is an object... No, I do not plan moose/deer antlers in that room, as I am sure some PETA or vegan types would object if they stayed there. You have to walk fine lines to theme while not upsetting various interest groups.
undersea said:
Let me hazard a guess to say no vegan or PETA person would select a hunting-themed room so go ahead with the (fake) antlers! You could get a cool resin light fixture that looks like real antlers.
Good that you're thinking themes! It's fun to find cool stuff to make the rooms more personalized.

Morticia said:
undersea said:
Let me hazard a guess to say no vegan or PETA person would select a hunting-themed room so go ahead with the (fake) antlers! You could get a cool resin light fixture that looks like real antlers.
Good that you're thinking themes! It's fun to find cool stuff to make the rooms more personalized.
I envisioned the Captain Nemo room (from the movies, etc.), but cannot afford his pipe organ, nor the Nautilus :)

Morticia said:
undersea said:
I envisioned the Captain Nemo room (from the movies, etc.), but cannot afford his pipe organ, nor the Nautilus :)
undersea said:
Wallpaper. Or find a local (talented) student to paint the walls for you. My brother painted one entire room with the Great Wall, panda bears, bamboo, etc when they brought their daughters home from China. Even the dressers blended in. They had a high school kid do it. 12 years later it still looks great.
A place I stayed at in P-town had the bathroom done like a cave. Curved plaster walls, niches everywhere, stone floor. I stayed there 30 years ago and still remember it.

Morticia said:
undersea said:
undersea said:
Wallpaper. Or find a local (talented) student to paint the walls for you. My brother painted one entire room with the Great Wall, panda bears, bamboo, etc when they brought their daughters home from China. Even the dressers blended in. They had a high school kid do it. 12 years later it still looks great.
A place I stayed at in P-town had the bathroom done like a cave. Curved plaster walls, niches everywhere, stone floor. I stayed there 30 years ago and still remember it.
Cave - we actually plan a room like this...

Momma Smurf said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Momma Smurf said:
OMgawd, LOL that woman is unbelievable. OK, I am good now

Morticia said:
undersea said:
undersea said:
This is kind of cool. http://wowbathroomideas.net/wp-content/uploads/cave-bathroom-67414.jpg

Morticia said:
undersea said:
undersea said:
Hmmm, have not heard anything about it. Do you remember the name of the place you stayed in P-town?

Morticia said:
undersea said:
undersea said:
Hmmm, have not heard anything about it. Do you remember the name of the place you stayed in P-town?
Silverspoon said:
It was 30 years ago. Not a clue. Very nice owners. Right on the water. Lovely garden.
The owners used to travel in the off season. They sent me a letter with stories about the safari they went on.

Morticia said:
undersea said:
undersea said:
This is kind of cool. http://wowbathroomideas.net/wp-content/uploads/cave-bathroom-67414.jpg
That is exactly what we had I mind. The cave in France - chauvet or something? But the art is complex.

Morticia said:
undersea said:
undersea said:
That is exactly what we had I mind. The cave in France - chauvet or something? But the art is complex.
undersea said:
Lascaux?

Back