Reservation Key is a success...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve looked at reskey and while the price is low I’m worried about them being too small of a business. Webervations burned us where David didn’t charge enough and sold to Eric at rezovations who later raised the price. From my understanding reskey is a small shop. Do I really want to trust another small business? How many employees do they have? I hear their owner is living out of country. I’m hoping that is just a rumor. I’m also hearing rumors that he is looking to sell and they are raising their prices. Can anyone confirm these rumors?.
Hi Innkept,
Most newbies (to the forum) come in and introduce themselves in some manor. Of course you don't need to give your name/b&b name to do so.

That said, you did not yet you come here and state rumors about another business without knowing anything about them. This is like your B&B getting a bad TA review with untruths from someone who you know has never stayed with you. You would not be happy now would you?
As far as Res Key is concerned, I do not know the answers to your questions, email John and ask him. All I can tell you is that I am VERY, VERY happy with their system AND service. I left Weberv behind and have no plans to ever look back.

When speaking about trusting small businesses, I again want you to think about your own. If you are indeed an innkeeper of a B&B you are a small business, what if a caller were to ask you if you should be trusted or should they stay at Big Box Hotel?

My other huge concern is with all the security issues with Target and now eBay, is reskey secure? One of the reasons rezovations had to raise the price when they bought webervations was to make it be pci compliant. I was not happy to learn that webervations wasn’t really secure for years. I was on the resnexus website and from what I understand any reservation system that is storing our credit cards not only has to be pci compliant but have a security company come in and make sure they are actually doing everything they should. Having been burned by webervations I don’t want that to happen again. I’m not finding any of that information on reskeys website..
Me thinks there's something a wee bit funny about you having just joined and being so opinionated about a company of which you have no intimate knowledge.

I’ve looked at reskey and while the price is low I’m worried about them being too small of a business. Webervations burned us where David didn’t charge enough and sold to Eric at rezovations who later raised the price. From my understanding reskey is a small shop. Do I really want to trust another small business? How many employees do they have? I hear their owner is living out of country. I’m hoping that is just a rumor. I’m also hearing rumors that he is looking to sell and they are raising their prices. Can anyone confirm these rumors?.
Innkept said:
Do I really want to trust another small business?
That's really up to you, isn't it?
Innkept said:
How many employees do they have?
I don't know, but apparently enough to provide a great program and excellent service to a wide array of hospitality businesses. How many employees do you have?
Innkept said:
I hear their owner is living out of country. I’m hoping that is just a rumor.
Why are you hoping this is a rumor? Does it matter where someone lives who is providing you a service based in the internet "cloud"? Yes, you want the service to be timely and responsive, but as long as that criterion is met who cares where they are based. (OK, yes, I like to support local businesses, Made in USA, and all that, but I'm not sure how that is relevant in this case.)
Innkept said:
I’m also hearing rumors that he is looking to sell and they are raising their prices. Can anyone confirm these rumors?
I think the only one who could confirm (or not) these rumors is John (who runs ReservationKey), so why don't you ask him?
I do know that there was some discussion about a possible "a la carte" pricing scheme so that users who wanted special functions that weren't widely useful to the rest of the community could pay extra to help fund the development of these functions.
I haven't looked in on the ResKey user forum for a while, but that's a place where John gets ideas from users and discusses what he is working on for improvements. But I guess you have to be a user to get access, so why don't you sign up for the month-long free trial, give it a whirl, and see how you like it?

Innkept said:
Do I really want to trust another small business?
That's really up to you, isn't it?
Innkept said:
How many employees do they have?
I don't know, but apparently enough to provide a great program and excellent service to a wide array of hospitality businesses. How many employees do you have?
Innkept said:
I hear their owner is living out of country. I’m hoping that is just a rumor.
Why are you hoping this is a rumor? Does it matter where someone lives who is providing you a service based in the internet "cloud"? Yes, you want the service to be timely and responsive, but as long as that criterion is met who cares where they are based. (OK, yes, I like to support local businesses, Made in USA, and all that, but I'm not sure how that is relevant in this case.)
Innkept said:
I’m also hearing rumors that he is looking to sell and they are raising their prices. Can anyone confirm these rumors?
I think the only one who could confirm (or not) these rumors is John (who runs ReservationKey), so why don't you ask him?
I do know that there was some discussion about a possible "a la carte" pricing scheme so that users who wanted special functions that weren't widely useful to the rest of the community could pay extra to help fund the development of these functions.
I haven't looked in on the ResKey user forum for a while, but that's a place where John gets ideas from users and discusses what he is working on for improvements. But I guess you have to be a user to get access, so why don't you sign up for the month-long free trial, give it a whirl, and see how you like it?
I think he is just a sh-kicker!

It is kind of shocking that you came out of the blue with all this stuff.
We switched thanks to these folks on this site and we are very happy. It is an excellent, professional option that is highly customizable and saves tons of cash. It looks better than many of the options that cost 3 times as much and works better.

Let's not starting tossing "I heard a rumor.." Please cite your source or let it go. This is a person's business your are putting at risk, who has to date been very helpful to our industry and the small B&B's in particular.

My other huge concern is with all the security issues with Target and now eBay, is reskey secure? One of the reasons rezovations had to raise the price when they bought webervations was to make it be pci compliant. I was not happy to learn that webervations wasn’t really secure for years. I was on the resnexus website and from what I understand any reservation system that is storing our credit cards not only has to be pci compliant but have a security company come in and make sure they are actually doing everything they should. Having been burned by webervations I don’t want that to happen again. I’m not finding any of that information on reskeys website..
My other huge concern is with all the security issues with Target and now eBay, is reskey secure?
I think this is a valid concern for anyone with any reservation system that is taking payments. I'm just not sure what you are hoping to surface with this. I am sure Target (which was not a web hack) would have claimed they were secure right up until the hour before they had an intrusion. I am sure eBay would have said the same thing. Likewise the heartbleed loophole in SSL stunned everyone who thought they were secure. What kind of assurance are you looking for?
Having been burned by webervations I don’t want that to happen again.
Did you have data stolen while using webervations? That seems to be what you are implying.

My other huge concern is with all the security issues with Target and now eBay, is reskey secure?
I think this is a valid concern for anyone with any reservation system that is taking payments. I'm just not sure what you are hoping to surface with this. I am sure Target (which was not a web hack) would have claimed they were secure right up until the hour before they had an intrusion. I am sure eBay would have said the same thing. Likewise the heartbleed loophole in SSL stunned everyone who thought they were secure. What kind of assurance are you looking for?
Having been burned by webervations I don’t want that to happen again.
Did you have data stolen while using webervations? That seems to be what you are implying.
Had he stayed with just the questions, I believe the responses to this person would have been quite different. When the disparaging statements stated by someone who says he knows nothing of either the system nor its owner, I tend to get my back up. If someone has a FACT and can site ources, then and only then is it OK to make statements such as were made.
To say I do not like _________ or is it compliant or question function is totally different and, to my itty-bitty mind, and legitimate.

Me thinks there's something a wee bit funny about you having just joined and being so opinionated about a company of which you have no intimate knowledge.
BananaE29 said:
Agreed. Sounds like a competitor trying to hurt their reputation.
It's an old technique. Don't make flat out statements about your competition. Just raise questions. Is it true they have bb's? I heard the owner still beats her husband. That sort of thing.

BananaE29 said:
It's an old technique. Don't make flat out statements about your competition. Just raise questions. Is it true they have bb's? I heard the owner still beats her husband. That sort of thing.
Arks said:
BananaE29 said:
Does the owner still beat her husband? The double edged question trying to hurt someone's rep. Thanks for the "her" Arks. Yes, she does! haha

BananaE29 said:
Arks said:
BananaE29 said:
Does the owner still beat her husband? The double edged question trying to hurt someone's rep. Thanks for the "her" Arks. Yes, she does! haha
Joey Bloggs said:
Thanks for the "her" Arks.
;-)

BananaE29 said:
Arks said:
BananaE29 said:
Joey Bloggs said:
;-)
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
;-)
I don't want to tell YOU how to speak Mr Avatar, but "speak softly and carry a big stick" is my motto.
shades_smile.gif

Those are my concerns. I appreciate the information on where to go with my concerns. Thanks for the input!

Those are my concerns. I appreciate the information on where to go with my concerns. Thanks for the input!.
I had a concern that we were being taken to the cleaners by an online reservations system that charged me three times the price was with less flexibility and less support. So I switched and guess what... until they close the door or jack their rates up, I'm in. Reservation Key is superior in many ways.
Really- so what if it ends. I'll go back to something like what we had, take a vacation with all the money we saved, and life will go on.

Those are my concerns. I appreciate the information on where to go with my concerns. Thanks for the input!.
I had a concern that we were being taken to the cleaners by an online reservations system that charged me three times the price was with less flexibility and less support. So I switched and guess what... until they close the door or jack their rates up, I'm in. Reservation Key is superior in many ways.
Really- so what if it ends. I'll go back to something like what we had, take a vacation with all the money we saved, and life will go on.
happykeeper said:
I love your attitude!
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

It has been THAT long? I was right behind you. I cannot believe that much time has passed already. Time flies when you are having fun.

happykeeper said:
I love your attitude!
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Of course, me and my great attitude might just get into hot water. The system did fail recently. The minimum stay rate adjustment failed for no apparent reason. It was a bit expensive and chips away at the great savings. Saying that on the forum may have kept me from winning John's Ambassador of the year award.

First time posting on this forum, been a Bed and Breakfast owner/operator now for 13 years. Just spoke with John at ReservationKey, am about to the move to his service. In 13 years I've seen the cost of a reservation program go from a flat 400 and some odd bucks, to now where most companies are charging a hundred dollars per month at least. Having looked at ReservationKey now for a few hours and playing with it, and then after speaking with John, I think it's a great deal for the cost. Once I am up an running with it, I'll post back my observations. Thanks...

First time posting on this forum, been a Bed and Breakfast owner/operator now for 13 years. Just spoke with John at ReservationKey, am about to the move to his service. In 13 years I've seen the cost of a reservation program go from a flat 400 and some odd bucks, to now where most companies are charging a hundred dollars per month at least. Having looked at ReservationKey now for a few hours and playing with it, and then after speaking with John, I think it's a great deal for the cost. Once I am up an running with it, I'll post back my observations. Thanks....
Welcome to the forum!!!!! I hope your post is the first of many! Sit down with a snack and join in on the wonderful conversations here…. We are all different people with unique places from all over the world.

First time posting on this forum, been a Bed and Breakfast owner/operator now for 13 years. Just spoke with John at ReservationKey, am about to the move to his service. In 13 years I've seen the cost of a reservation program go from a flat 400 and some odd bucks, to now where most companies are charging a hundred dollars per month at least. Having looked at ReservationKey now for a few hours and playing with it, and then after speaking with John, I think it's a great deal for the cost. Once I am up an running with it, I'll post back my observations. Thanks....
ronmac said:
Once I am up an running with it, I'll post back my observations. Thanks...
You're making the best choice. I've been with ResKey for years and am as happy as I can be. Once you have the basics down, check out the Yield Management feature that lets you specify rules to automatically charge more when demand is high (few rooms left) and charge less when several rooms are left for a couple of days from now. It definitely puts extra money in your pocket painlessly. The guests pay it without batting an eye, because supply and demand is the way of the world.

Back