Reservation Key Users Part 2

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS, there already are guest rating services out there, the one I've heard the most about is http://guestchecker.com/ They have specific requirements that you inform prospective guests that you use their service and require them to agree.

There is a database called Guest Checker that was written up in USA Today a few years ago, used by anyone who wants to sign up for the service (not just within a hotel chain). Since you have to be a member to get most of the details, and the website has some bugs on it, I'm not sure how viable it was or is. I don't know that I would use such a system - it seems too cumbersome to me.

I think each guest would be onerous but I think we would probably take the time to add to a PITA List with why PITA..
That's funny! Good idea. It doesnt have to be all bad stuff. You could post something useful about that guest. Example....this guests has a thing for pillows. You might want to add a few. The guest arrives and has a bed full of pillows......Guess who just earned brownie points for having extra pillows? Or how about this....this guest posted a review about us complaining we didn't offer Splenda. (Did i mention he never asked for it while he stayed with us.)and how bad it was it was not available......you don't offer Splenda. So you make sure you have some before this guest arrives. Guess what? You just avoided a bad review.
Bob said:
That's funny! Good idea. It doesnt have to be all bad stuff. You could post something useful about that guest. Example....this guests has a thing for pillows. You might want to add a few. The guest arrives and has a bed full of pillows......Guess who just earned brownie points for having extra pillows? Or how about this....this guest posted a review about us complaining we didn't offer Splenda. (Did i mention he never asked for it while he stayed with us.)and how bad it was it was not available......you don't offer Splenda. So you make sure you have some before this guest arrives. Guess what? You just avoided a bad review.
Here is an example of a guest I would never ever rent a room to again:
#1 it was a fling, probably internet hook up or something. None of my business, but thought I would share the background.
#2 the guy was a royal pita before he arrived, wanted flowers but didn't want to pay for them, so said he would buy the flowers and I could provide the vase, etc etc, this went on for quite a while before getting here.
#3 Once here, I heard drip drip drip in our DDx2 room, I went in and water is dripping from the ceiling. I think they must have shared a bath. Go to freshen the room and find a near empty BAG of ice on the floor, on the tile. Which has melted, what a dufus. Then after leaving he forgets his pendleton shirt and must have it returned, so the saga goes on.
I would never ever rent a room to him again. Would you? Should I mention all of this? No. I won't, not with his name. I would never flag him on any database. Will he be a dufus when he stays with you? Maybe not.

I would not name names.
I would never put a guest's confidential information in any database, unless it was with the local police and I filed a complaint.
This is dangerous ground, imo..
Joey Bloggs said:
I would not name names.
I would never put a guest's confidential information in any database, unless it was with the local police and I filed a complaint.
This is dangerous ground, imo.
What confidential information do you think we would be giving out?
Bob said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I would not name names.
This is dangerous ground, imo.
What confidential information do you think we would be giving out?
When a guest books with me, the information is only supposed to go to me. If they know they are online in a database they could get very irritated, I know I would. We know they are in an online system, of course, but that is that.

Can everyone listen up to this, I want to share that this is already out there and in way you can grasp, but it is agreeable by the guest aforehand when they book the room, that is the difference I am seeing here.
Check out this and go to my page, the guest reviews ME and I review THE GUEST. If you see a Review of ME, then click on that reviewer to see THEIR REVIEWS from the hosts.

Does anyone know of a privacy law that we would be breaking? This would be a place to start! We are not sharing credit card info, or medical info. Is there a law for giving opinions? Can someone find this? I have been looking and can't find any info.
Thanks

Can everyone listen up to this, I want to share that this is already out there and in way you can grasp, but it is agreeable by the guest aforehand when they book the room, that is the difference I am seeing here.
Check out this and go to my page, the guest reviews ME and I review THE GUEST. If you see a Review of ME, then click on that reviewer to see THEIR REVIEWS from the hosts..
Ok....if that's the case....all we have to do is add a sentence in our policy page that's says....we have the right to share your lodging expierance with us to other properties as we see fit. Or something like that. I guess we all can no longer blog about anyone anymore unless we have them agree to it. Or from what your saying, you could get sued.

Personally I think you are aiming to get in some deep doo doo with all of this. You are asking for trouble.

I also worry about the privacy issue which I did bring up to John. You cannot compare this to T A because WE are out in the Public, we trumpet our presence to attract moths to our flames. the moths, however, are NOT Public and really do not wish to be public - even to just us public..
gillumhouse said:
I also worry about the privacy issue which I did bring up to John. You cannot compare this to T A because WE are out in the Public, we trumpet our presence to attract moths to our flames. the moths, however, are NOT Public and really do not wish to be public - even to just us public.
I do understand what you are saying. What privacy issues would be a concern with stating a guests likes lots of pillows? Or, I recommend having Splenda for this guests? Or, This guest smoked in a non smoking room? We are not making this viewable to the public. Its just useful info for property owners. These are opinions only. Like I said, no private info is being handed out.
Just the fact they are able to BE tracked and seen by other inns may be construed as an invasion of privacy. As nice as it sounds to the innkeeper side of me, the John Q Public side of me would NOT be happy to find out such a list exists. Do not think for one minute it would remain a twixt us thing - its existence WILL get out should it be created. I foresee a total non-use of RezKey once that info gets out. John Q will not book where it is being used once it is known. Intriguing but I do not want it. i will take my chances as I do now that Horrible Harry will go elsewhere - preferably to some hotel or motel.
gillumhouse said:
Just the fact they are able to BE tracked and seen by other inns may be construed as an invasion of privacy. As nice as it sounds to the innkeeper side of me, the John Q Public side of me would NOT be happy to find out such a list exists. Do not think for one minute it would remain a twixt us thing - its existence WILL get out should it be created. I foresee a total non-use of RezKey once that info gets out. John Q will not book where it is being used once it is known. Intriguing but I do not want it. i will take my chances as I do now that Horrible Harry will go elsewhere - preferably to some hotel or motel.
But see, I don't want your Horrible Harry to do what he did to you to me. I have been talking to my state Rep about this idea as well. He loved the idea. He thought it would be a great thing to try in the private sector. That's why I contacted John. If this is something he passes on, its ok. My state Rep already said he would love to try and get this passed on a National level, If that's the case, every lodging property in the USA would have to comply. He told be it would be as simple as using a Drivers license number. Or a government issued Lodging Number. Would it be nice to know if you are an innkeeper with small kids and you had a convicted child molester that is trying to make a reservation with you? Or maybe you have never thought of that. I do like Arkansawyers idea. I think that is a good suggestion. John also had the idea of getting other reservation systems on board as well. I think that would be great. I wish it would grow so big that every reservation program would do this.
Bob said:
gillumhouse said:
But see, I don't want your Horrible Harry to do what he did to you to me. I have been talking to my state Rep about this idea as well. He loved the idea. He thought it would be a great thing to try in the private sector. That's why I contacted John. If this is something he passes on, its ok. My state Rep already said he would love to try and get this passed on a National level, If that's the case, every lodging property in the USA would have to comply. He told be it would be as simple as using a Drivers license number. Or a government issued Lodging Number. Would it be nice to know if you are an innkeeper with small kids and you had a convicted child molester that is trying to make a reservation with you? Or maybe you have never thought of that. I do like Arkansawyers idea. I think that is a good suggestion. John also had the idea of getting other reservation systems on board as well. I think that would be great. I wish it would grow so big that every reservation program would do this.
Now you have given me a total reason for a resounding NO! I have more than enough government in my business. This would just be another way for the government to track people. NO - the largest NO I can possibly say!
Mark my words...If not by us, some agency will do this it will happen. It's only a matter of time. The lodging industry is next in line for restructure and regulations. To be honest....it needs to be...

My state Rep already said he would love to try and get this passed on a National level, If that's the case, every lodging property in the USA would have to comply. He told be it would be as simple as using a Drivers license number. Or a government issued Lodging Number.
This is why I say NO. We still live in a free Country - that means free to travel when and where without government knowing where we are. As much as I love RezKey, if this went in, I would go out. The only way I would come back would be IF it went away or if the government succeeded in this asinine idea of mandatory. Once John Q found out we were tracking him, he would go elsewhere - I know I would.

Check out this and go to my page, the guest reviews ME and I review THE GUEST. If you see a Review of ME, then click on that reviewer to see THEIR REVIEWS from the hosts..
Ok....if that's the case....all we have to do is add a sentence in our policy page that's says....we have the right to share your lodging expierance with us to other properties as we see fit. Or something like that. I guess we all can no longer blog about anyone anymore unless we have them agree to it. Or from what your saying, you could get sued.
Bob said:
Uh Bobster, hey I don't ever take a photo or blog without permission from guests. I surely hope you don't think I post photos and info on our guests without their permission. No way no how...

I also worry about the privacy issue which I did bring up to John. You cannot compare this to T A because WE are out in the Public, we trumpet our presence to attract moths to our flames. the moths, however, are NOT Public and really do not wish to be public - even to just us public..
gillumhouse said:
I also worry about the privacy issue which I did bring up to John. You cannot compare this to T A because WE are out in the Public, we trumpet our presence to attract moths to our flames. the moths, however, are NOT Public and really do not wish to be public - even to just us public.
I do understand what you are saying. What privacy issues would be a concern with stating a guests likes lots of pillows? Or, I recommend having Splenda for this guests? Or, This guest smoked in a non smoking room? We are not making this viewable to the public. Its just useful info for property owners. These are opinions only. Like I said, no private info is being handed out.
gillumhouse said:
Bob said:
gillumhouse said:
Now you have given me a total reason for a resounding NO! I have more than enough government in my business. This would just be another way for the government to track people. NO - the largest NO I can possibly say!
Mark my words...If not by us, some agency will do this it will happen. It's only a matter of time. The lodging industry is next in line for restructure and regulations. To be honest....it needs to be...
Then I say - GOD help us! I have lived in a FREE Country and I hope I am dead before it totally loses its FREEDOM. We have lost so much already over the years - I am old enough to remember the how it used to be , when kids could actually play and you did not have to show ID for everything (oops, forgot - you do NOT have to show ID to vote so that one still exists) from cashing a check to using your credit card to getting on an airplane.
Sad thing is - identity papers have already been instituted on us while we were not looking - Social Security numbers, drivers license.......

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Bob said:
gillumhouse said:
Then I say - GOD help us! I have lived in a FREE Country and I hope I am dead before it totally loses its FREEDOM. We have lost so much already over the years - I am old enough to remember the how it used to be , when kids could actually play and you did not have to show ID for everything (oops, forgot - you do NOT have to show ID to vote so that one still exists) from cashing a check to using your credit card to getting on an airplane.
Sad thing is - identity papers have already been instituted on us while we were not looking - Social Security numbers, drivers license.......
It's sad isn't it! Hand shake doesn't mean anything anymore. Look at what it takes to buy a house or a car. Or to rent a house. Times are changing and something like this I not far away. But like I said before. It could be a simple 1-5 rating, no words or comments. Do you see a problem with that? I still can not find any info on opinions being a privacy issue. Anyone find anything?

My only thought is the advice I've always heard regarding cases where a potential employer asks you for a recommendation of a former employee. I've always heard that it's legally safe to tell someone, I would or would not rehire this person, but you risk a lawsuit (of what kind I'm not sure) if you elaborate, telling WHY you would not rehire them.

I think each guest would be onerous but I think we would probably take the time to add to a PITA List with why PITA..
Bob said:
#1 it was a fling, probably internet hook up or something. None of my business, but thought I would share the background.
#2 the guy was a royal pita before he arrived, wanted flowers but didn't want to pay for them, so said he would buy the flowers and I could provide the vase, etc etc, this went on for quite a while before getting here.
#3 Once here, I heard drip drip drip in our DDx2 room, I went in and water is dripping from the ceiling. I think they must have shared a bath. Go to freshen the room and find a near empty BAG of ice on the floor, on the tile. Which has melted, what a dufus. Then after leaving he forgets his pendleton shirt and must have it returned, so the saga goes on.
I would never ever rent a room to him again. Would you? Should I mention all of this? No. I won't, not with his name. I would never flag him on any database. Will he be a dufus when he stays with you? Maybe not.
If there was a way to tell me that and I could make my decision on who stayed in my house I hope you would! Because I would do that for all of you.

In order to be tracked, guests would have to create "an account" with "the system" and register themselves. In the process, they would have to be informed of the "terms and conditions" and check a box agreeing.
Inns/properties should have the options to either (a) require all their guests to register with the system, (b) give guests the option of registering with the system or just making a reservation without registering, or (c) bypassing the system all-together and just making a reservation..
Not a bad idea. They could get a discount if they register. Or a special little gift. Kinda like a VIP treatment or somethIng. Give them a reason. If you are a customer with nothing to hide......why not.

Bob said:
...all we have to do is add a sentence in our policy page that's says....we have the right to share your lodging expierance with us to other properties as we see fit.
This would need to be worded really well so it didn't sound like something that would scare guests off.
But having the system be "opt in" for the guest is probably the way to go, since they would be giving their permission to do it. There just needs to be some incentive for them to opt in. In the end, though, the bad ones will not opt in and you'll be giving away free incentives to people who are good guests anyway.
This all needs a good deal of thought to make it work. I'm all for it if the details can be worked out.

Bob said:
If there was a way to tell me that and I could make my decision on who stayed in my house I hope you would! Because I would do that for all of you.
Bob said:
And now that goes to another issue...discimination and all that. It is just a can of worms, I am afraid. Because someone was a dork at another inn doesn't mean they will be one at your inn.
I appreciate being able to share thoughts here on this topic, so I thank you.

Bob said:
Bob said:
And now that goes to another issue...discimination and all that. It is just a can of worms, I am afraid. Because someone was a dork at another inn doesn't mean they will be one at your inn.
I appreciate being able to share thoughts here on this topic, so I thank you.
I agree, I appreciate being able to as well. No one is saying you can not allow someone to stay. But it would be nice to know if someone has had a problem with a guests in the past and base a decision from that.

I just got off the Phone with the FDC. They said there is no law stating a business can not give an opinion of a guests. We are not trading Private info. So no Privacy is being traded. I have a call out to a Lawyer on this.

Back