Reservation Key Users Part 2

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob said: If there was a way to tell me that and I could make my decision on who stayed in my house I hope you would! Because I would do that for all of you.
And: if they had nothing to hide why not?

People have been convicted of crimes because they thought I have nothing to hide so why not. That is just a start. I do not and will not have something like this on my system. I do not want anyone else making any decisions as to who should be my guest. I am sorry, Bob, nothing personal, but from your writings, I am not going accept your opinion of a guest as to whether they are PITAs or not.
My guests and I meet each other on equal footing - I know nothing of them that they have not told me and they know nothing of me other than what they see on the Internet. They can Go oogle me to find out more if they are so inclined, but i am not going to do it with them. All I care about isthat they come, they stay, they pay, they go away and are as respectful of me as I am of them. What you are suggesting is quite disrespectful IMNVHO. I am not going to bother saying anything more on this subject. I already gave John my opinion and from here it is up to John whether he wants to implement such an outrageous thing (in my opinion of course) or not.

Without reading every other post, here's my take...we have had guests here who have hopped thru every B&B in town and are on everyone's DNB list. They behave completely differently here. And I am sure there are guests who go to other B&B's and the innkeepers there would be astonished that we had any trouble with them.
I know people are astonished at some of the stories I have to tell, but most of those people are just clueless. However, my kneejerk reaction would be to put them on a list with a 1 star review.

I also worry about the privacy issue which I did bring up to John. You cannot compare this to T A because WE are out in the Public, we trumpet our presence to attract moths to our flames. the moths, however, are NOT Public and really do not wish to be public - even to just us public..
gillumhouse said:
I also worry about the privacy issue which I did bring up to John. You cannot compare this to T A because WE are out in the Public, we trumpet our presence to attract moths to our flames. the moths, however, are NOT Public and really do not wish to be public - even to just us public.
I do understand what you are saying. What privacy issues would be a concern with stating a guests likes lots of pillows? Or, I recommend having Splenda for this guests? Or, This guest smoked in a non smoking room? We are not making this viewable to the public. Its just useful info for property owners. These are opinions only. Like I said, no private info is being handed out.
Bob said:
gillumhouse said:
I also worry about the privacy issue which I did bring up to John. You cannot compare this to T A because WE are out in the Public, we trumpet our presence to attract moths to our flames. the moths, however, are NOT Public and really do not wish to be public - even to just us public.
I do understand what you are saying. What privacy issues would be a concern with stating a guests likes lots of pillows? Or, I recommend having Splenda for this guests? Or, This guest smoked in a non smoking room? We are not making this viewable to the public. Its just useful info for property owners. These are opinions only. Like I said, no private info is being handed out.
Coming into this late and it has probably been mentioned, but you're going to have to identify John Smith with a little more info than the name. So, an address? Telephone? email?

This reminds me of a discussion we had here a year or so ago when I posted a new topic asking if there was a way to mark a guest DNB (do not book) in ResKey so they could not re-book if you didn't want their business again (since we do not screen guests before approving a reservation...we let them book, pay, and have a confirmed reservation from ResKey all in real time, but would like a way to keep DNB people from booking again).
I never asked John. We just discussed it here and it went no further. A problem we saw was that you would have to figure out a way to make sure you're working with the same person as before. That might not be easy since people don't always enter their name the same way, sometimes full name, sometimes nickname, sometimes enter spouse's name, etc. Home addresses change, e-mail addresses change, etc. Cell phone numbers might be the most permanent ID people have these days, and they also won't always give the same phone number for that.
If the ID problem can be solved, I'd suggest doing it this way:
  • New guests into the system are assigned a default 3 star rating, and they stay there if nobody posts a review about them.
  • Each individual property can set a threshold, below which the system will NOT allow that person to make a real-time reservation, but instead gives the guest a message that the innkeeper will check availability and let them know if they can be accommodated. For example, I might set my threshold at 2 stars, so if someone with a 1.5 star rating tries to reserve, they won't get the reservation confirmed until I get a message from ResKey, check them out, and decide if I'll accept them.
  • As you mentioned, their original 3 star rating would go down if enough inns give them bad ratings, or go up above 3 if enough give them excellent ratings.
Great Idea. I have several ways of doing the ID problem. Its not full proof but workable. I think we can all come up with some good ideas.
A place to start:
1) When a user makes a reservation for the first time through Res Key they are issued a ID number. John can send these out. Has nothing to do on our end. This number has several different purposes.
a) If another Bed and Breakfast or Hotel uses Res Key for their reservation program, the customer can type in that ID number and it fills out all of their info with one click. Except for credit card info.
b) The guests can earn points by reserving at a Res Key property by using that ID number.
If you get enough points, they get a $100 gift certificate....or something. By doing this, they keep using the same ID number. This gives us a better chance to keep track of them so to speak.

People will come and go with names and emails. You are correct. Most people will keep an email address for a long time. I think this is the best way to do it. Or maybe John can work it where any of the four info can trigger it. Phone, email, address, ID#......
My point is this - we are NOT a hotel chain. One chain may share info among its own hotels, but does not share that info with other chains. We are individual businesses - each owned and operated by different individuals and each unique. One of our plus points is that we are NOT a chain. The more I think about it, the less enamored I am of the idea.
I prefer to be who and what I am and let Joe see me as that and nothing more or less. And I prefer to see him as he is in my inn, not have a preconceived notion from someone else.
Good opinions. Just another idea. Do you like just a simple 1-5 ranking with no info? Or what about the idea of only sharing positive info? Like my example of the pillows or Splenda? That I think is useful info to make us stand even further apart from Hotels. Makes us a "Better Way to stay"! Helping all of us out to make sure our guests are treated as the best we can with help from each other. Thoughts on that? Don't kill the idea. I think we have something to work with here. Not only for us but guests as well.
Bob said:
Good opinions. Just another idea. Do you like just a simple 1-5 ranking with no info? Or what about the idea of only sharing positive info? Like my example of the pillows or Splenda? That I think is useful info to make us stand even further apart from Hotels. Makes us a "Better Way to stay"! Helping all of us out to make sure our guests are treated as the best we can with help from each other. Thoughts on that? Don't kill the idea. I think we have something to work with here. Not only for us but guests as well.
Hotels already do this. If you stay in any chain hotel and you use a rewards card, they track info about your likes and dislikes. So, instead of limiting this to just people who use one system of reservations, why not go national with it? Have a national rewards card for B&B's that may or may not get the guest certain perks. PAII talked about this awhile ago. How to compete with hotel rewards cards when you're just one property?

Does anyone know of a privacy law that we would be breaking? This would be a place to start! We are not sharing credit card info, or medical info. Is there a law for giving opinions? Can someone find this? I have been looking and can't find any info.
Thanks.
Bob said:
Does anyone know of a privacy law that we would be breaking? This would be a place to start! We are not sharing credit card info, or medical info. Is there a law for giving opinions? Can someone find this? I have been looking and can't find any info. Thanks
There are laws and then there is everything else. If you only do or don't do something because there's a law involved that leaves us pretty much where we are now with everyone arguing they didn't break any 'law' when they did such and such. And yet, there is a 'social contract' in place that a lot of us honor. We 'do the right thing' whether there is a law or not.

Bob said: If there was a way to tell me that and I could make my decision on who stayed in my house I hope you would! Because I would do that for all of you.
And: if they had nothing to hide why not?

People have been convicted of crimes because they thought I have nothing to hide so why not. That is just a start. I do not and will not have something like this on my system. I do not want anyone else making any decisions as to who should be my guest. I am sorry, Bob, nothing personal, but from your writings, I am not going accept your opinion of a guest as to whether they are PITAs or not.
My guests and I meet each other on equal footing - I know nothing of them that they have not told me and they know nothing of me other than what they see on the Internet. They can Go oogle me to find out more if they are so inclined, but i am not going to do it with them. All I care about isthat they come, they stay, they pay, they go away and are as respectful of me as I am of them. What you are suggesting is quite disrespectful IMNVHO. I am not going to bother saying anything more on this subject. I already gave John my opinion and from here it is up to John whether he wants to implement such an outrageous thing (in my opinion of course) or not..
You could always opt to not have that feature! Your either with us or not. Like I said. It could be used for helpful info like my explanation of pillows or Splenda. I do see you havecompletely closed your mind to what a valuable tool this could be and I'm ok with that. Thanks for your feedback!

This reminds me of a discussion we had here a year or so ago when I posted a new topic asking if there was a way to mark a guest DNB (do not book) in ResKey so they could not re-book if you didn't want their business again (since we do not screen guests before approving a reservation...we let them book, pay, and have a confirmed reservation from ResKey all in real time, but would like a way to keep DNB people from booking again).
I never asked John. We just discussed it here and it went no further. A problem we saw was that you would have to figure out a way to make sure you're working with the same person as before. That might not be easy since people don't always enter their name the same way, sometimes full name, sometimes nickname, sometimes enter spouse's name, etc. Home addresses change, e-mail addresses change, etc. Cell phone numbers might be the most permanent ID people have these days, and they also won't always give the same phone number for that.
  • New guests into the system are assigned a default 3 star rating, and they stay there if nobody posts a review about them.
  • Each individual property can set a threshold, below which the system will NOT allow that person to make a real-time reservation, but instead gives the guest a message that the innkeeper will check availability and let them know if they can be accommodated. For example, I might set my threshold at 2 stars, so if someone with a 1.5 star rating tries to reserve, they won't get the reservation confirmed until I get a message from ResKey, check them out, and decide if I'll accept them.
  • As you mentioned, their original 3 star rating would go down if enough inns give them bad ratings, or go up above 3 if enough give them excellent ratings.
Great Idea. I have several ways of doing the ID problem. Its not full proof but workable. I think we can all come up with some good ideas.
A place to start:
1) When a user makes a reservation for the first time through Res Key they are issued a ID number. John can send these out. Has nothing to do on our end. This number has several different purposes.
a) If another Bed and Breakfast or Hotel uses Res Key for their reservation program, the customer can type in that ID number and it fills out all of their info with one click. Except for credit card info.
b) The guests can earn points by reserving at a Res Key property by using that ID number.
If you get enough points, they get a $100 gift certificate....or something. By doing this, they keep using the same ID number. This gives us a better chance to keep track of them so to speak.

People will come and go with names and emails. You are correct. Most people will keep an email address for a long time. I think this is the best way to do it. Or maybe John can work it where any of the four info can trigger it. Phone, email, address, ID#......
My point is this - we are NOT a hotel chain. One chain may share info among its own hotels, but does not share that info with other chains. We are individual businesses - each owned and operated by different individuals and each unique. One of our plus points is that we are NOT a chain. The more I think about it, the less enamored I am of the idea.
I prefer to be who and what I am and let Joe see me as that and nothing more or less. And I prefer to see him as he is in my inn, not have a preconceived notion from someone else.
Bob said:
Hotels already do this. If you stay in any chain hotel and you use a rewards card, they track info about your likes and dislikes. So, instead of limiting this to just people who use one system of reservations, why not go national with it? Have a national rewards card for B&B's that may or may not get the guest certain perks. PAII talked about this awhile ago. How to compete with hotel rewards cards when you're just one property?
Madeleine said:
Bob said:
IF JOHN IS READING THIS...some more input:
So in other words, the better way to stay idea would be marketable.
The better way to stay would be a rewards card for being a great guest, marketable via Rezkey. They sign up for it, like the "Southern porches" booklet that was popular a few years ago with I believe NC & SC B&B Associations.
Now that is something I am all for!
If you tell about my preferring splenda and make notes about me that anyone else can read I will not be happy. I am JOE GUEST and do not like any of this. Full stop. It is my right to be a PITA when, where and with whomever I wish, that is how it is. Now destructive/running out on the bill etc, that is a deal for the police.
"Don't police my guests, please." - signed innkeeper JB.

A place to start:

Bob said:
Madeleine said:
Bob said:
IF JOHN IS READING THIS...some more input:
So in other words, the better way to stay idea would be marketable.
The better way to stay would be a rewards card for being a great guest, marketable via Rezkey. They sign up for it, like the "Southern porches" booklet that was popular a few years ago with I believe NC & SC B&B Associations.
Now that is something I am all for!
If you tell about my preferring splenda and make notes about me that anyone else can read I will not be happy. I am JOE GUEST and do not like any of this. Full stop. It is my right to be a PITA when, where and with whomever I wish, that is how it is. Now destructive/running out on the bill etc, that is a deal for the police.
"Don't police my guests, please." - signed innkeeper JB.
Yes, THAT I can get on board with - rewards booklet. WVBBA has a Civil War Passport ongoing - stay @ 3 or more member inns in a year and get in a drawing for a goodie basket. It is to be stamped or notated by the innkeepers.

I, too, am not going to read through all the comments, but here's mine...
I think that rating is much to subjective to be effective for this purpose. Just like our guests who complain about the experiences they had at other Inn's, there's 2 sides to every story. You might have been having a bad day and every single thing that person did just ticked you off. Is it fair that they would get 1 star. Is it fair that they might have been having a bad day (just got a cancer diagnosis, just lost a loved one, had a fight on the way over) and they get essentially black-balled because someone gave them a 1. What happens if someone uses that information to reject a guest and that person finds out about our secret little black book and it ends up on CNN News? There are alot of innkeepers here who are very jaded after working in the industry for so long - they are much less forgiving than others and might be more apt to give someone a lesser rating just because they didn't fit into their ideal guest mold.
I understand the concept, but I'm not sure in the long run that it would be something that wouldn't be tainted in multiple ways.

I think it could be great IF the few issues can be worked out, like ID and legal/liability issues.
I don't see it as much different from a hotel chain sharing guest info among their hundreds of hotels, and don't really see average guests digging in to it to the level of blackballing ResKey properties as K suggests. If anything, it might cause bad guests to avoid ResKey properties since we're on to them, but that is a benefit, not a drawback.
Maybe just start with the star rating system, which isn't at all intrusive into a guest's privacy, and add the comments later if it can be worked out.
It probably would be best that just one or two bad ratings couldn't pull someone down too low since just because one innkeeper took a dislike to someone, doesn't necessarily mean the rest of us would have problems and want to avoid the guest's business.
Maybe the DNB marker for a individual property could be added in at the same time. You could mark them as definitely DNB at your own property, and also give them a star rating that would influence/advise other inns about taking them or not, at their option..
thumbs_up.gif
I agree totally. If a guests has a problem with the thought of me posting a review so to speak about them.....then I dont want them to stay with me to begin with. So yes, that is a big + for me.
That's pretty hard core! Just because I don't like the idea of you talking about me to bunch of people I don't know, doesn't mean that I wouldn't be a great guest. You're really cutting your head off to spite your face with that one...

I think that rating is much to subjective to be effective for this purpose. Just like our guests who complain about the experiences they had at other Inn's, there's 2 sides to every story. You might have been having a bad day and every single thing that person did just ticked you off. Is it fair that they would get 1 star. Is it fair that they might have been having a bad day (just got a cancer diagnosis, just lost a loved one, had a fight on the way over) and they get essentially black-balled because someone gave them a 1. What happens if someone uses that information to reject a guest and that person finds out about our secret little black book and it ends up on CNN News? There are alot of innkeepers here who are very jaded after working in the industry for so long - they are much less forgiving than others and might be more apt to give someone a lesser rating just because they didn't fit into their ideal guest mold.
I understand the concept, but I'm not sure in the long run that it would be something that wouldn't be tainted in multiple ways..
Someone probably said that same thing about TA when they first started. Now look at it! Just sayin. I think we are all smart enough to see if a guests had 1 bad review to let them stay. What about 10 bad reviews? Would 10 innkeepers be having a bad day when telling their experience about a guests? Is it ok that guests can post a potential false review about your property? I have never met or stayed at your property. I could go right now and say what ever I want about your property or you. Nothing you can do about it! I think some of you are just not ready for this kind of change. Your in a comfort zone and your ok with how things are, and that's your right! I do believe the only people that would be upset are people that have something to hide. But I could be wrong. I also do not feel that I would be cutting my throat by not allowing someone who had a history of doing damage or canceling reservations last min and refusing to pay. That's just good business!!!!!!! They can go reserve at your property!

I understand the concept, but I'm not sure in the long run that it would be something that wouldn't be tainted in multiple ways..
Someone probably said that same thing about TA when they first started. Now look at it! Just sayin. I think we are all smart enough to see if a guests had 1 bad review to let them stay. What about 10 bad reviews? Would 10 innkeepers be having a bad day when telling their experience about a guests? Is it ok that guests can post a potential false review about your property? I have never met or stayed at your property. I could go right now and say what ever I want about your property or you. Nothing you can do about it! I think some of you are just not ready for this kind of change. Your in a comfort zone and your ok with how things are, and that's your right! I do believe the only people that would be upset are people that have something to hide. But I could be wrong. I also do not feel that I would be cutting my throat by not allowing someone who had a history of doing damage or canceling reservations last min and refusing to pay. That's just good business!!!!!!! They can go reserve at your property!
Bob- hate to be blunt about this but you are starting to rave. You asked for opinions about something that is a BIG problem for YOU. Not for everyone else. Those of us who don't think the guest rating system would be the best way to approach the situation of 'bad' guests are entitled to have a different opinion than yours. That's why John wanted you to ask.
It would have to be an opt in system no matter what. You couldn't force other innkeepers to participate same way we can't force guests to write reviews.
Take a break from reading the responses. Give everyone time to bat the idea around without you telling them they're wrong because they don't think the same way you do. John can read over the discussion and comment here about how he thinks it would work.
Better than a system that blackballs guests who give me a hard time is a system that rewards good guests with perks across the country. Carrot, not stick. Just like any other opt in rewards system the fine print tells the guest that their information will be shared with 'other B&B's in the network'.
And, of course, there is the question of what you tell a guest whose reservation you deny...'Sorry, you were a bad boy at the last 2 inns and we've all decided to not accept a rez from you. Go find a hotel.'

Bob- hate to be blunt about this but you are starting to rave. You asked for opinions about something that is a BIG problem for YOU. Not for everyone else. Those of us who don't think the guest rating system would be the best way to approach the situation of 'bad' guests are entitled to have a different opinion than yours. That's why John wanted you to ask.
It would have to be an opt in system no matter what. You couldn't force other innkeepers to participate same way we can't force guests to write reviews.
Take a break from reading the responses. Give everyone time to bat the idea around without you telling them they're wrong because they don't think the same way you do. John can read over the discussion and comment here about how he thinks it would work.
Better than a system that blackballs guests who give me a hard time is a system that rewards good guests with perks across the country. Carrot, not stick. Just like any other opt in rewards system the fine print tells the guest that their information will be shared with 'other B&B's in the network'.
And, of course, there is the question of what you tell a guest whose reservation you deny...'Sorry, you were a bad boy at the last 2 inns and we've all decided to not accept a rez from you. Go find a hotel.'
I have just had some really bad things happen this year and I'm just trying to find a way we could all help each other. Venting at the same time! Sorry if I seem upset. I will shut up now!

I have just had some really bad things happen this year and I'm just trying to find a way we could all help each other. Venting at the same time! Sorry if I seem upset. I will shut up now!
Bob said:
Totally understand having a bad year of guests. It's why we started taking deposits. And then adding a cancellation fee. It's also why we have stopped taking pets.

Does anyone know of a privacy law that we would be breaking? This would be a place to start! We are not sharing credit card info, or medical info. Is there a law for giving opinions? Can someone find this? I have been looking and can't find any info.
Thanks.
There are laws, and then there is the right thing to do. This is a very slippery slope.
I think if you identify a guest that you have hosted as a pita that you personally don't want to book again at your lodging property, that is one thing. I totally agree with JB that they could be lovely guests for the next innkeeper. We all know that because B&Bs are so personal that it just may be something about that guest that rubbed you that wrong way. This could be a very subjective type of "database".

Thanks.
There are laws, and then there is the right thing to do. This is a very slippery slope.
I think if you identify a guest that you have hosted as a pita that you personally don't want to book again at your lodging property, that is one thing. I totally agree with JB that they could be lovely guests for the next innkeeper. We all know that because B&Bs are so personal that it just may be something about that guest that rubbed you that wrong way. This could be a very subjective type of "database".
in the UK this kind of sharing would be absolutely slammed! when i studied in the usa the university did a directory of all students with their contact details - without my express permission! I went ballistic!!!! I don't want everything about me shared with anyone who has a copy!
I think a feature where you could log your personal PITA's so they couldn't rebook would be a great feature ie makes them do a reservation request instead of a booking if it matches up the details so you can double check they are the same people or not - but sharing? i just think its a step to far - too many people want absolute privacy and won't stay anywhere they fear won't give it.

You can have a Preferred B&B Guest program. If a guest chooses to join the program they agree to read and follow all policies of the B&B they visit, including non smoking, showing up at breakfast on time, cancelling and payingup in full, respecting B&B property and innkeepers- in short: the better way to stay... ...for us..... In turn they get for example preferred check in/out time, extended cancelation time, a 10 $ discount etc.
And if the pref guests don't follow the rules they signed up for, they get removed from the program. Yes, they can still book without the pref benefits, but it is a free world, and I am sure PITA's will find a way to book anyway. At least you get to promote the right behavior and can throw the rules book at anyone who does not want to join the program.........

Back