room description - how honest should you be?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Cozy room with sunrise ocean views, queen bed and daybed. Private bath is steps down the hall and features an antique claw foot tub/shower combination."
I hope that tells peopls the room is 1. small, 2. has a great view and 3. does not have an attached bath.
How much more clear can we be but we still get disappointment. Oh well. For $50 less than the ensuite rooms, you are getting a good deal..
TheBeachHouse said:
"Cozy room with sunrise ocean views, queen bed and daybed. Private bath is steps down the hall and features an antique claw foot tub/shower combination."
I hope that tells peopls the room is 1. small, 2. has a great view and 3. does not have an attached bath.
How much more clear can we be but we still get disappointment. Oh well. For $50 less than the ensuite rooms, you are getting a good deal.
You can only be as clear as you can be. Don't clutter the facts with facts. Our guests went to our new music venue last night. They told me they expected it to be a pub atmosphere. ? I said the name has "Performance Center" in it.
So all that to say, there is no way to explain it for every person, they all see what they see and read what they read.
This is why JoeyBob doesn't play well on committees.

How much more clear can we be but we still get disappointment. Oh well. For $50 less than the ensuite rooms, you are getting a good deal..
Can you call them and also verbalize it? I really feel this is important, or the disappointment may continue. A lot of people will just look at the pictures and not read the print.
BananaE29 said:
Can you call them and also verbalize it? I really feel this is important, or the disappointment may continue. A lot of people will just look at the pictures and not read the print.
When they call us, we make it very clear.
But if they make an on line reservation, I am not going to follow up with a call. I know for me, the reason to have on line reservations is to avoid the phone. If a place doesn't have on line reservations, I won't even call them. On line reservations are the world's best invention.

I am on your site Beachies. I have not been for a yonks and thought "let me look with fresh eyes..." I am on the rooms page and wonder why you have shown the room pricing order like this:
$129
$179
$179
$129
$179
$179
You are not listing them in price order, highest to lowest?
Most amenities go downward from best view at the inn $$ to "bargain" shopper:. $$$$ to $$$ to $$ to $. I can see why (because this is me and I have the gift curse whatever you want to call it of observation) I see that you have it listed by floor, 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
You mentioned working on this stuff in the off-shoulder season, that is funny, sorry the two words together were quite flash-dancie... anyway, my "few" cents worth.
"Stand up shower" An odd way to put it. Isn't that what a shower is typically?
"Ensuite bath with a stand up shower." Ensuite bath: perhaps using the word bathroom, vs bath. I have literally NO IDEA what a jack and jill bath is, really I don't. There are no photos so I am SOL.
What you are showing in the photos is insufficient. You know that Beachie, you are duct taping your website. You are ignoring the elephant in the room, I say this as your innmate, to help, not to nit pick, in any form or fashion. You can solve 95% of any issues if you had some good photos, clear, clean large.
"A PHOTO IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS"
Your rooms page show poorly lit photos of a bed for each room (except the first two where you have turned on the lights and it feels like someone is home and inviting you into stay). Okay we KNOW there is a bed in each room, since that is what you are selling, overnight accommodations.
Maybe we need another innspiring road trip - Nor-easter version. I would love to come and help with some photos. Just say the word I can pack up the posse' (sorry I am being silly I have rooms to clean and this is a really good way to avoid it and put it off, but I must...) bye.
WAIT there's more, now that you have this season under your wing, please do yourself/business a huge favor and run some reports to see which rooms rented the most and why. ie walk ins vs online bookings and how they came about it, you will be able to see some patterns. Which rooms were booked the longest, ie 3 nights vs 1.
I do not have location location location - you do. So is it fair for me to share my POV and experience with you? You can sell rooms rings around me, you could blind fold them and rent them rooms. So please take this for what it is worth. We are not in a destination, so I have to work harder in the other areas.
regular_smile.gif

My take on it is that if there is an issue, why not just be plain about it. For example:
This room has a great ocean view (beautiful sunrises!) but it is small (we prefer to call it "cozy") and it does not have an attached bath (although your own private bath is just steps down the hall). The room has both a queen bed and an additional daybed, while the bath features an antique claw-foot tub with shower.
To me, this makes the point quite clearly, but still does not undersell the room.
Just an idea.
Harborfields said:
This room has a great ocean view (beautiful sunrises!) but it is small (we prefer to call it "cozy") and it does not have an attached bath (although your own private bath is just steps down the hall). The room has both a queen bed and an additional daybed, while the bath features an antique claw-foot tub with shower.
Your permission please to use this description ( well, something like it). This is excellent! I have the same situation in my place and I'm revamping my site. New pictures, new verbiage and an online reservation system. I love your room description.

My take on it is that if there is an issue, why not just be plain about it. For example:
To me, this makes the point quite clearly, but still does not undersell the room.
Just an idea.
Harborfields said:
Your permission please to use this description ( well, something like it). This is excellent! I have the same situation in my place and I'm revamping my site. New pictures, new verbiage and an online reservation system. I love your room description.
2cat_lady said:
Harborfields said:
In this country, if there is a photo of towels on a bed that immediately shouts SHARED BATH. I wanted you to know that, fwiw. When you retake and revamp, leave the towels where they belong, in the bathroom. :) Have fun with it! Take 1000 more photos and angles than you need and get jiggy wit it!
shades_smile.gif

I am on your site Beachies. I have not been for a yonks and thought "let me look with fresh eyes..." I am on the rooms page and wonder why you have shown the room pricing order like this:
$129
$179
$179
$129
$179
$179
Most amenities go downward from best view at the inn $$ to "bargain" shopper:. $$$$ to $$$ to $$ to $. I can see why (because this is me and I have the gift curse whatever you want to call it of observation) I see that you have it listed by floor, 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
You mentioned working on this stuff in the off-shoulder season, that is funny, sorry the two words together were quite flash-dancie... anyway, my "few" cents worth.
"Ensuite bath with a stand up shower." Ensuite bath: perhaps using the word bathroom, vs bath. I have literally NO IDEA what a jack and jill bath is, really I don't. There are no photos so I am SOL.
What you are showing in the photos is insufficient. You know that Beachie, you are duct taping your website. You are ignoring the elephant in the room, I say this as your innmate, to help, not to nit pick, in any form or fashion. You can solve 95% of any issues if you had some good photos, clear, clean large.
Your rooms page show poorly lit photos of a bed for each room (except the first two where you have turned on the lights and it feels like someone is home and inviting you into stay). Okay we KNOW there is a bed in each room, since that is what you are selling, overnight accommodations.
Maybe we need another innspiring road trip - Nor-easter version. I would love to come and help with some photos. Just say the word I can pack up the posse' (sorry I am being silly I have rooms to clean and this is a really good way to avoid it and put it off, but I must...) bye.
WAIT there's more, now that you have this season under your wing, please do yourself/business a huge favor and run some reports to see which rooms rented the most and why. ie walk ins vs online bookings and how they came about it, you will be able to see some patterns. Which rooms were booked the longest, ie 3 nights vs 1.
I do not have location location location - you do. So is it fair for me to share my POV and experience with you? You can sell rooms rings around me, you could blind fold them and rent them rooms. So please take this for what it is worth. We are not in a destination, so I have to work harder in the other areas.
regular_smile.gif
I just changed the brochure to list the rooms in price order and we are going to do that to the website too. Great input and funny I swear I just did the brochure update yesterday.
I also changed 'stand up shower' to 'stall shower.' We get people asking for bathtubs, so I wanted to make it clear.
A jack and jill bathroom is one that opens to both rooms. In other words, it is between two rooms. Like the Brady Bunch kids had. LOL
We are running reports. But even with observation we know. The two rooms that didn't sell are getting price reductions. We will have three prices. 'Cheap,' 'need to sell more,' and 'worth every penny.'
And I couldn't agree more on the pictures. We are installing all new curtains, all new bedding and mostly new rugs as well as a few new pieces of art over the next month. Pictures will follow.
The input is valuable or I wouldn't be here. Right now we are catching our breath. Website is a winter project. (as is pretty much every other bleeping thing!) :D

$129
$179
$179
$129
$179
$179
regular_smile.gif
I just changed the brochure to list the rooms in price order and we are going to do that to the website too. Great input and funny I swear I just did the brochure update yesterday.
I also changed 'stand up shower' to 'stall shower.' We get people asking for bathtubs, so I wanted to make it clear.
A jack and jill bathroom is one that opens to both rooms. In other words, it is between two rooms. Like the Brady Bunch kids had. LOL
We are running reports. But even with observation we know. The two rooms that didn't sell are getting price reductions. We will have three prices. 'Cheap,' 'need to sell more,' and 'worth every penny.'
And I couldn't agree more on the pictures. We are installing all new curtains, all new bedding and mostly new rugs as well as a few new pieces of art over the next month. Pictures will follow.
The input is valuable or I wouldn't be here. Right now we are catching our breath. Website is a winter project. (as is pretty much every other bleeping thing!) :D
If you are using the word 'bath' instead of 'bathroom' be aware that some folks think that means there's a bathtub.
We had one very, very upset couple who wanted a bathtub and assumed that's what we meant by using the word 'bath' instead of 'bathroom'.
I think I changed the website while they were still here it bothered them so much.

Just an idea.
Harborfields said:
2cat_lady said:
Harborfields said:
In this country, if there is a photo of towels on a bed that immediately shouts SHARED BATH. I wanted you to know that, fwiw. When you retake and revamp, leave the towels where they belong, in the bathroom. :) Have fun with it! Take 1000 more photos and angles than you need and get jiggy wit it!
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
In this country, if there is a photo of towels on a bed that immediately shouts SHARED BATH. I wanted you to know that, fwiw. When you retake and revamp, leave the towels where they belong, in the bathroom.
I had no idea. I know a couple of places where they put the towels on the beds. No idea why, it seems silly and a waste of space, but there you go.

$129
$179
$179
$129
$179
$179
regular_smile.gif
If you are using the word 'bath' instead of 'bathroom' be aware that some folks think that means there's a bathtub.
We had one very, very upset couple who wanted a bathtub and assumed that's what we meant by using the word 'bath' instead of 'bathroom'.
I think I changed the website while they were still here it bothered them so much.
Madeleine said:
The old duvet or duvet cover, bath or bathroom.

Just an idea.
I agree. Harborfields has a great description- it's transparent and lets people know what they're getting-without a spin. I feel like HF is chatting with me, and I think...hmmm...I could live with that.

I am reading this and think WE are all so very fortunate to have this site to share our problems and get very candid, helpful ideas to solve the problems. Some times it takes reading them a few times to absorb.
I do think it is important to be clear in the description. I need to be more clear as well. I added a floor plan not long ago which has helped with some of the issues we were facing.

As SSpoon said, stay positive but be clear. Make sure to use the proper words - bathroom, not bath - shower or tub/shower combo.

Personally I think a list or bullets work best to get things across without being wordy. Less to read.

I am reading this and think WE are all so very fortunate to have this site to share our problems and get very candid, helpful ideas to solve the problems. Some times it takes reading them a few times to absorb.
I do think it is important to be clear in the description. I need to be more clear as well. I added a floor plan not long ago which has helped with some of the issues we were facing.

As SSpoon said, stay positive but be clear. Make sure to use the proper words - bathroom, not bath - shower or tub/shower combo.

Personally I think a list or bullets work best to get things across without being wordy. Less to read..
I do both. Bulleted list. And under that, for anyone looking for a story, a paragraph or two about the room with all the color descriptions and views.

Our bathrooms have stand up showers only. I described them as "shower baths" in the room descriptions. No complaints so far. Our room descriptions are a short paragraph with photos.
I am very candid with telephone inquiries. I always try to sell the larger room. Those who chose the smaller have fair warning. (We only have 2 B&B rooms)

Our bathrooms have stand up showers only. I described them as "shower baths" in the room descriptions. No complaints so far. Our room descriptions are a short paragraph with photos.
I am very candid with telephone inquiries. I always try to sell the larger room. Those who chose the smaller have fair warning. (We only have 2 B&B rooms).
Anon Inn said:
I am very candid with telephone inquiries. I always try to sell the larger room. Those who chose the smaller have fair warning. (We only have 2 B&B rooms)
I would assume a tub with a shower. If you haven't had problems it's probably because no one was looking for a tub.

BTW I spent the weekend with a jack and Jill bathroom. :) Thought I would mention that since I didn't know what it was.
So does this mean it is a SHARED bathroom? How can one room has a jack and Jill?

BTW I spent the weekend with a jack and Jill bathroom. :) Thought I would mention that since I didn't know what it was.
So does this mean it is a SHARED bathroom? How can one room has a jack and Jill?.
Joey Bloggs said:
So does this mean it is a SHARED bathroom? How can one room has a jack and Jill?
Jack and Jill bathrooms are connected to two other rooms. Either a second bedroom or the hallway. If you had one room only and there was no other door in the bathroom going elsewhere, I have no idea what the person who said it was J&J is thinking!
We stayed in a place that had a second door in the bathroom that went into the kitchen. I could hear them in there. Not happy.
My kids had a J&J bathroom. I don't think they're over the trauma yet. ;-)

So does this mean it is a SHARED bathroom? How can one room has a jack and Jill?.
Joey Bloggs said:
Jack and Jill bathrooms are connected to two other rooms. Either a second bedroom or the hallway. If you had one room only and there was no other door in the bathroom going elsewhere, I have no idea what the person who said it was J&J is thinking!
We stayed in a place that had a second door in the bathroom that went into the kitchen. I could hear them in there. Not happy.
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I didn't want to spin it, but it WAS traumatic. The dog would be on one side banging to get through then run around to the other, like it was really confusing. I got tired of opening and closing doors every 10 seonds.
Now we actually have one here then, our OWN, but we called it a cut through and the whole reason we redesigned our bathroom, so the toilet is in its own room now. What a pita! No BATHROOM should be the only way from one room to another. Just one more thing we spend our brewster billions on in this B&B, that iS PERFECT NOW if anyone wants her! Make us an offer... no, really. Go ahead make us one!

Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I didn't want to spin it, but it WAS traumatic. The dog would be on one side banging to get through then run around to the other, like it was really confusing. I got tired of opening and closing doors every 10 seonds.
Now we actually have one here then, our OWN, but we called it a cut through and the whole reason we redesigned our bathroom, so the toilet is in its own room now. What a pita! No BATHROOM should be the only way from one room to another. Just one more thing we spend our brewster billions on in this B&B, that iS PERFECT NOW if anyone wants her! Make us an offer... no, really. Go ahead make us one!
We have a J&J in our private space. It means that it's ensuite, but the second door is into the public area of our private space. So one bathroom for the whole floor, but it's also an ensuite where guests don't have to walk through our bedroom.

Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I agree with that...would hate to have the bathroom be the only way to get to the second room!

Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
We call ours a pass through.. Our personal bathroom has a door from our room and also a door to a passage that has some storage space like cabinets and then another door in the kitchen. Until His Lordship started using the passage to store his vacs, I was able to leave the guests in the dining room and return to the kitchen to check on something or do the next course without going through the dining room. We once had a cookout for some trail users and were able to make this bathroom available by using the passage and locking the door to our room.
J & J bathrooms usually have locks on both doors from the inside for when in use and the occupant is supposed to unlock the doors on departure. These are supposed to be rented to families only or only to one room at a time. Liken it to rooms with connecting doors at hotels,

Back