room description - how honest should you be?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW I spent the weekend with a jack and Jill bathroom. :) Thought I would mention that since I didn't know what it was.
So does this mean it is a SHARED bathroom? How can one room has a jack and Jill?.
Joey Bloggs said:
BTW I spent the weekend with a jack and Jill bathroom. :) Thought I would mention that since I didn't know what it was.
So does this mean it is a SHARED bathroom? How can one room has a jack and Jill?
Jack and Jill bathrooms are connected to two other rooms. Either a second bedroom or the hallway. If you had one room only and there was no other door in the bathroom going elsewhere, I have no idea what the person who said it was J&J is thinking!
We stayed in a place that had a second door in the bathroom that went into the kitchen. I could hear them in there. Not happy.
My kids had a J&J bathroom. I don't think they're over the trauma yet. ;-)
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
So does this mean it is a SHARED bathroom? How can one room has a jack and Jill?
Jack and Jill bathrooms are connected to two other rooms. Either a second bedroom or the hallway. If you had one room only and there was no other door in the bathroom going elsewhere, I have no idea what the person who said it was J&J is thinking!
We stayed in a place that had a second door in the bathroom that went into the kitchen. I could hear them in there. Not happy.
My kids had a J&J bathroom. I don't think they're over the trauma yet. ;-)
I didn't want to spin it, but it WAS traumatic. The dog would be on one side banging to get through then run around to the other, like it was really confusing. I got tired of opening and closing doors every 10 seonds.
Now we actually have one here then, our OWN, but we called it a cut through and the whole reason we redesigned our bathroom, so the toilet is in its own room now. What a pita! No BATHROOM should be the only way from one room to another. Just one more thing we spend our brewster billions on in this B&B, that iS PERFECT NOW if anyone wants her! Make us an offer... no, really. Go ahead make us one!
We have a J&J bathroom that is part of our master bedroom suite. Bedroom on one side, DH's office on the other. When we don't have guests in the house we open up the second door in the office which leads to a hallway in the upstairs guest room. Otherwise the door is closed and locked with portable soundproofing adding a layer of privacy so they don't hear us and we don't hear them. The set up actually works quite well for us since DH spends lots of quiet time in the office on his computer with headphones on (heaven only knows what keeps him so glued to that screen). I can use the bathroom and bedroom without having to walk through his office, which makes us all happy!
By the way, since soundproofing is an issue in some cases, I thought I might mention what has worked well for us. DH made a plywood panel that fits the opening where the common door is located. I glued wool felt over the entire area of the panel that faces the guest side of the common door, making sure that the wool overlapped all of the edges as well. The panel slides into the opening...it's quite snug so no sound leaks through the cracks. It is secured at the top with a nail that slides into place. Since the common door also has a space under it, I snug a fabric tube filled with sand (old NE trick to keep drafts out) along the length of the crack to ensure that sound will not get through before the soundproofing panel is put in place.
It's amazing how well this works for a common door situation as long as you do not need immediate access.

So does this mean it is a SHARED bathroom? How can one room has a jack and Jill?.
Joey Bloggs said:
It is a two room suite with the bathroom in between the two rooms. We don't like shared bathrooms so we made it a two room suite.
Description:
Wonderful sunrise view from this two room suite with Jack and Jill bath with stall shower. Queen size bed and electric fireplace in the bedroom and a pull out sofa, desk, and small TV in the sitting room.

Joey Bloggs said:
It is a two room suite with the bathroom in between the two rooms. We don't like shared bathrooms so we made it a two room suite.
Description:
Wonderful sunrise view from this two room suite with Jack and Jill bath with stall shower. Queen size bed and electric fireplace in the bedroom and a pull out sofa, desk, and small TV in the sitting room.
TheBeachHouse said:
Description:
Beachie, I don't see the need to describe the type of bathroom, except to say it has a shower. But I would spell out BATHROOM not just Bath.

Joey Bloggs said:
Description:
TheBeachHouse said:
Description:
Is the second room another bedroom or a living room where no one extra will be sleeping? If it's a living room-bedroom combo with no option for a 3rd or 4th guest in the living room, then no need to confuse guests with 'J&J' because they will ASSUME they are sharing that bathroom with another guest room.
If it's a 2-bedroom suite, or the option is there to sleep more guests in the living room, then yes, you need to be clear they don't have to walk thru the other person's bedroom to get to the bathroom.
Use 'bathroom' not bath. Really it's 4 more letters to type but it saves a world of aggro down the line.

Joey Bloggs said:
Description:
TheBeachHouse said:
Description:
Is the second room another bedroom or a living room where no one extra will be sleeping? If it's a living room-bedroom combo with no option for a 3rd or 4th guest in the living room, then no need to confuse guests with 'J&J' because they will ASSUME they are sharing that bathroom with another guest room.
If it's a 2-bedroom suite, or the option is there to sleep more guests in the living room, then yes, you need to be clear they don't have to walk thru the other person's bedroom to get to the bathroom.
Use 'bathroom' not bath. Really it's 4 more letters to type but it saves a world of aggro down the line.
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Description:
doesn't 'pull out sofa' say extra room? If I go to a hotel that says pull out sofa, I know I can have two beds if I need it.
The room is meant to be flexible. extra bed or sitting room or office as needed.

Joey Bloggs said:
Description:
TheBeachHouse said:
Description:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Description:
doesn't 'pull out sofa' say extra room? If I go to a hotel that says pull out sofa, I know I can have two beds if I need it.
The room is meant to be flexible. extra bed or sitting room or office as needed.
TheBeachHouse said:
Duh. I didn't read the 'pull-out sofa' bit. In that case, make it clear the sofa sleepers don't have to go into the bedroom to get to the bathroom. Jack & Jill should do that! (It was too early for me when I commented before...)

1. be totally honest
2. accentuate the positive
3. explain the 'negative' - you have nothing to hide
4. be prepared for complaints or disappointment or frowny faces.
sad_smile.gif
i have spent ages on the phone explaining about the shared bath or the bath not in the room or the stairs. all fine - the price was right! only to have guests arrive, frown and ask for an upgrade (free of course) it's the nature of the beast. in this case, the consumer, who is being coached to ask for a free upgrade. i travel, i read this kind of advice all the time. big hotel? go ahead, see what you get. little b&b? not a very nice game to play. i know a man who does this all the time - asking for upgrades, freebies, discounts, you name it. it is a game to him. he doesn't want to pay the going rate for what he wants, so he books the less desirable, less expensive rooms and then starts asking for discounts. no discount? then he starts complaining. ugh. we can't be friends.
regular_smile.gif
i also had guests tell me that it was much nicer than they expected. sort of a compliment, bit of a sting ...

1. be totally honest
2. accentuate the positive
3. explain the 'negative' - you have nothing to hide
4. be prepared for complaints or disappointment or frowny faces.
sad_smile.gif
i have spent ages on the phone explaining about the shared bath or the bath not in the room or the stairs. all fine - the price was right! only to have guests arrive, frown and ask for an upgrade (free of course) it's the nature of the beast. in this case, the consumer, who is being coached to ask for a free upgrade. i travel, i read this kind of advice all the time. big hotel? go ahead, see what you get. little b&b? not a very nice game to play. i know a man who does this all the time - asking for upgrades, freebies, discounts, you name it. it is a game to him. he doesn't want to pay the going rate for what he wants, so he books the less desirable, less expensive rooms and then starts asking for discounts. no discount? then he starts complaining. ugh. we can't be friends.
regular_smile.gif
i also had guests tell me that it was much nicer than they expected. sort of a compliment, bit of a sting ....
On the other hand....
we had a walk in last night. Completely empty house. A couple and their college age kid.
We showed them two choices.
1. $50 more than the other. The two room suite with a full size pullout sofa for the kid in his own room. (Parents in the adjoining room in a queen bed. Bathroom in the middle.)
OR
2. $50 less than the other. One room with a queen bed and a day bed and the bathroom down the hall.
They chose the bathroom down the hall.
So I guess as long as your expectations are managed, it's not so bad, is it?

Joey Bloggs said:
Description:
TheBeachHouse said:
Description:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Description:
TheBeachHouse said:
Duh. I didn't read the 'pull-out sofa' bit. In that case, make it clear the sofa sleepers don't have to go into the bedroom to get to the bathroom. Jack & Jill should do that! (It was too early for me when I commented before...)
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
I agree but not sure using the term Jack & Jill is necessary. (many not knowing the term).
Maybe state "bathroom is accessible from both rooms".

Joey Bloggs said:
Description:
TheBeachHouse said:
Description:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Description:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
I agree but not sure using the term Jack & Jill is necessary. (many not knowing the term).
BeachHouse, Can one pass between the two rooms without going through the bathroom or the hall, or is the only way to get from one room to the other by going through the bathroom?
(this is along the line of "bathroom accessible from both rooms.")

Joey Bloggs said:
Description:
TheBeachHouse said:
Description:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Description:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
BeachHouse, Can one pass between the two rooms without going through the bathroom or the hall, or is the only way to get from one room to the other by going through the bathroom?
Harborfields said:
Each room has two doors. One door to the hallway and one door to the bathroom. You have to go out to the hall or through the bathroom to go between the two rooms.

Back