Selling a B&B as a private home

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our plan was to close for the required 2 years so we could sell as a private residence. Well we know what happened to real estate back then. So here we are. We are slightly different in that we only have 4 bedrooms and would easily be sold as a private residence.you are in a different league with 8 bedrooms. Not many need that size for a private home. Also consider you will need to pay back your business depreciation.. it stays with you forever.
here is a thought sell it for a group home of some sort. I bet your neighbors would love that.
Where did you get the 2 year rule?
And if anyone has money they can just buy it anyway. Yes, there are many opportunities.
I can't remember now for sure but an accountant at a bbav conference stated it
maybe muirford will remember him. Stated We had to be closed for 2 years before we could sell as a private home
lookup tax rules that apply to sale of primary residence
something in this tax code we had to follow to avoid penalty
we thought it was to avoid paying back depreciation but come to find out you always have to pay back the business depreciation
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p523/ar02.html
Not if you've not taken any depreciation!
regular_smile.gif

Who doesn't take depreciation? Don't answer that, we did done deal
EmptyNest said:
It's not that you have to pay back the depreciation dollar amount, it's that you to pay tax on it as it lowered your taxable income. Big difference in the amount of dollars involved.
THANK YOU!!!!! I did not have much to tax so that is a big load off my mind. I was afraid they were going to hit me for the amount I paid for the house.

Our plan was to close for the required 2 years so we could sell as a private residence. Well we know what happened to real estate back then. So here we are. We are slightly different in that we only have 4 bedrooms and would easily be sold as a private residence.you are in a different league with 8 bedrooms. Not many need that size for a private home. Also consider you will need to pay back your business depreciation.. it stays with you forever.
here is a thought sell it for a group home of some sort. I bet your neighbors would love that.
And if anyone has money they can just buy it anyway. Yes, there are many opportunities.
maybe muirford will remember him. Stated We had to be closed for 2 years before we could sell as a private home
we thought it was to avoid paying back depreciation but come to find out you always have to pay back the business depreciation
regular_smile.gif

We have not taken a penny, cause the POs warned us that we'd have to pay in the end, like they did.
I seem to remember that the 2 year rule went out the window a while ago.

regular_smile.gif

EmptyNest said:
It's not that you have to pay back the depreciation dollar amount, it's that you to pay tax on it as it lowered your taxable income. Big difference in the amount of dollars involved.
I don't think we'll make much, if any of a profit when we sell and since we've taken no depreciation, we'll not likely have to pay any taxes on the sale.

regular_smile.gif

We have not taken a penny, cause the POs warned us that we'd have to pay in the end, like they did.
Maybe so but if you took depreciation on home it must be paid back when you sell .. I guess just
the tax benefits from what others have said. I am going to ask our accountant at tax time to be sure

Difficult to sell. We worked for a long while trying to build up the business. But it always comes down to location don't let anyone fool you..
Agreed on location. We bought as single fam and will sell, when that hopefully far off day comes, as same. Wish you the best, as always.

regular_smile.gif

Maybe so but if you took depreciation on home it must be paid back when you sell .. I guess just
the tax benefits from what others have said. I am going to ask our accountant at tax time to be sure
Hmmm, I always thought that you paid tax on the gain...that is the difference between your original purchase price plus capital improvements and the new sale price+ depreciation taken.

regular_smile.gif

Hmmm, I always thought that you paid tax on the gain...that is the difference between your original purchase price plus capital improvements and the new sale price+ depreciation taken.
Yes, that's right!

regular_smile.gif

So since I doubt we will make any profit when and if we ever sell

regular_smile.gif

I should be fairly safe then as we put in new windows, electrical, furnace, roof, siding, plumbing, not to mention the bathrooms that cost MORE than we paid for the house. Oops, there may have been some depreciation on some of that. Sigh.

regular_smile.gif

I should be fairly safe then as we put in new windows, electrical, furnace, roof, siding, plumbing, not to mention the bathrooms that cost MORE than we paid for the house. Oops, there may have been some depreciation on some of that. Sigh.
All of that adds up you will make money on yours. We have added paved drive , heat pumps and some insulation but aside from regular maintenance that is it. I will have to see exactly what our cpa depreciated.

EmptyNest said:
It was the guys out of Lexington - Raetz & Hawkins. I don't remember the info you are sharing, but they are have some special proficiencies in B&B Accounting. They sent me info even though we weren't in Virginia.
Depreciation that has been taken on an asset like a building, or business goodwill, does get taxed at sale time - the IRS has publications on depreciation recapture. And it does suck. If you are selling at a loss, some of it will be offset. I imagine it will be complicated from a tax standpoint to take something you bought commercially and sell it as a residence - if that is the situation, I would get advice from a tax accountant.

EmptyNest said:
It was the guys out of Lexington - Raetz & Hawkins. I don't remember the info you are sharing, but they are have some special proficiencies in B&B Accounting. They sent me info even though we weren't in Virginia.
Depreciation that has been taken on an asset like a building, or business goodwill, does get taxed at sale time - the IRS has publications on depreciation recapture. And it does suck. If you are selling at a loss, some of it will be offset. I imagine it will be complicated from a tax standpoint to take something you bought commercially and sell it as a residence - if that is the situation, I would get advice from a tax accountant.
Thanks but I think we figured it all out. Since we won't be selling.. at least that is what DH says I am not that concerned and will recheck with our cpa this tax season.
on another note of interest to you. Remember PQJ Innsitter? She passed away suddenly right before Thanksgiving. I just found out and was shocked to say the least

EmptyNest said:
Thanks but I think we figured it all out. Since we won't be selling.. at least that is what DH says I am not that concerned and will recheck with our cpa this tax season.
on another note of interest to you. Remember PQJ Innsitter? She passed away suddenly right before Thanksgiving. I just found out and was shocked to say the least
Wow, EN - no, I hadn't heard. I only met her once at a conference. I had given her info to some folks in that area looking, but that was probably a year ago.
Yes, I don't think you have a concern now, but the capital gains on the sale of a primary residence that is in this topic is pretty different these days. There is no longer a once-per-lifetime exclusion - you can exclude up to $500,000 (married filing status) every time you sell a house if it is your primary residence and you have lived in it 2 of the last 5 years. That's probably where the 2 year thing came in - if you bought the property as a commercial building, you have to convert it to residential only and live in it for two years before you can use the exclusion.

I talked to the people who had the B& B north of me today. He said IF you close the business and live in it as your primary residence for 2 years the depreciation goes away. There will be NO tax implications. They have done it twice - with the B & B and then they had an antique shop in their next house.

I talked to the people who had the B& B north of me today. He said IF you close the business and live in it as your primary residence for 2 years the depreciation goes away. There will be NO tax implications. They have done it twice - with the B & B and then they had an antique shop in their next house..
Here is the link to the current IRS conditions.

This has was built for the purpose of B&B. When the original owners sold it the estate agents told them to sell it as a private home with all B&B stuff removed.
They told us that every single person that came to look at it wanted it for B&B.

This has was built for the purpose of B&B. When the original owners sold it the estate agents told them to sell it as a private home with all B&B stuff removed.
They told us that every single person that came to look at it wanted it for B&B..
my only thought it "where do people look?" I don't think in the Uk people think really of buying a B&B as a business unless its a larger one like mine so wouldn't think to look at a business estate agent - neighbours place 18 months specialist business estate agent nothing - changed to a domestic estate agent sold in 6 months and that's a 12 bed place. people are just too used to looking on Zoopla or Rightmove they woudn't know to look anywhere else for a "house" type building

I talked to the people who had the B& B north of me today. He said IF you close the business and live in it as your primary residence for 2 years the depreciation goes away. There will be NO tax implications. They have done it twice - with the B & B and then they had an antique shop in their next house..
As I read the IRS citation, there are two issues:
1) Can you use the $500,000 exclusion on your home sale to reduce your taxable profit?
2) What about depreciation you took for the portion of the residence used as a business before the sale?
For #1, you have to have eliminated the business use - must be exclusively residential - for at least 2 out of the last 5 years to get the full $500K exclusion. If not, you will have to do two worksheets and only get a pro rata portion of the exclusion on your home sale.
For #2, you must deduct from the basis any depreciation you took regardless of the 2 years non-business use, you never get to put depreciation back in as basis once you took it.
See worksheet item
5. Determine your “basis adjustments” (any payments, credits, or benefits you may need to deduct from your basis).
"b Any depreciation you took — or didn't take but could have taken — for any business or investment (rental) use of your home"
The basis deduction for depreciation will affect your profit, but it will only be a problem - increase your taxes - if it pushes your profit above the $500K exclusion.
Disclaimer, I am not a tax expert, but I am good at cooking eggs.

As I read the IRS citation, there are two issues:
1) Can you use the $500,000 exclusion on your home sale to reduce your taxable profit?
2) What about depreciation you took for the portion of the residence used as a business before the sale?
For #1, you have to have eliminated the business use - must be exclusively residential - for at least 2 out of the last 5 years to get the full $500K exclusion. If not, you will have to do two worksheets and only get a pro rata portion of the exclusion on your home sale.
For #2, you must deduct from the basis any depreciation you took regardless of the 2 years non-business use, you never get to put depreciation back in as basis once you took it.
See worksheet item
5. Determine your “basis adjustments” (any payments, credits, or benefits you may need to deduct from your basis).
"b Any depreciation you took — or didn't take but could have taken — for any business or investment (rental) use of your home"
The basis deduction for depreciation will affect your profit, but it will only be a problem - increase your taxes - if it pushes your profit above the $500K exclusion.
Disclaimer, I am not a tax expert, but I am good at cooking eggs.
See you said what I was trying to say so poorly, but guess we don't have to worry we will never see 500K around here
cry_smile.gif

This is all wonderful talk, except we want to sell and more importantly need a buyer!
We are selling private home and commercial. So the ball is in play. Once it sells maybe I can come back here and tell some REAL GUEST stories.
shades_smile.gif

Back