Seriously? Can this Really be bee?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We discussed this today to decide how we would handle it. Dh said he would email the guest and thank them for the info and say we would provide them with a report from the pest company. And a bill for their services if nothing was found and their complaint resulted in our having to spend hundreds of dollars for nothing.
After months you definitely would have seen some evidence. There is almost no way they would have seen a 'nest' in the bathroom. Or even a few bugs. Yeesh. It's not like they're really easy to see unless you know what to look for.
If they did have them when they arrived be glad they didn't leave them behind!
I might be tempted to call and ask if they also contacted the airline and car rental to warn them.
I'm guessing they called a pest company who told them what kind of bugs they were.
Keep in mind this may be a fishing expedition on their part..
Actually, they just drove up for the night from south of here. Am working on a simple response, but if push comes to shove, your idea re their paying the bill for negative findings is a good one. They really were happy here, left a nice note. Methinks she is just jumping to conclusions based upon urban lore.
I agree with you she jump with both feet as she saw bugs in the bathroom. I bet she is not aware what Bee Bees look like either. Any ways after 4 months she would have them in her house . Not just in some darn bag.
I also think you have to respond to her as, your right the word will go out. She will not keep quiet . I am sure her neighbours has all ready heard about what happened. Or what she feels had happened.

Here is our response (I had to make it more personal, since we did interact with them a lot when they stayed here):
And I incorporated a great supportive article that I found on the Trav Channel site!
We are so sorry to hear that you and X have encountered "#Bs" in your home and we appreciate your sharing your concern with us.

Like other 1880s homes with door and window screens, and lots of old building cracks, there will always be the likelihood of harmless bugs of some kind in all of our rooms, but we assure you that in nine years and over 10,000 guests no one has ever encountered a #B here.

We do all the daily housekeeping ourselves and use a two-tiered white mattress cover system that allows us to prevent and monitor any unusual activity. In addition, once our guests left the room today we did a more thorough magnified inspection of the mattress seams, interior box frame, drawers, etc. If there were #Bs when you were here 4.5 months ago, by now there would be vast deposits of fecal stains, blood smear residue, nymph and egg carcasses, etc, and the entire Inn would have been infested as all of our laundry is co-mingled. AND everyone would be being bitten! Since April 26th, there have been over 100 different guests in the X room (one who stayed an entire week) plus another 500 guests in other rooms. Not a peep.

As you know, #Bs are found everywhere and prefer dark places. The laptop bag cozy hideaway may not even have been the initial point of entry. These critters "travel" and spread many ways. Here's an excellent article written by the Trav-- Channel:

Top 10 #B Infestation Spots

You’ve heard all about #Bs in hotels, but did you know they’re also hiding (and waiting to hitch a ride home with you) in these common public places? #Bs are smaller than a grain of rice, but visible to the naked eye. So be on the lookout, and check out the top 10 places to accidentally pick up#B.

Public Libraries
Crawling into bed with a good book has taken on a whole new meaning if you’re borrowing books from the public library system. Before you head home with a stash of bestsellers, check the pages and spines for #Bs circulating from one reader’s home to the next.
Retail Stores
From clothes to furniture,#Bs are just waiting for moving day. In the summer of 2010, retail shops around Manhattan were closed for fumigation when #Bs were found hiding out in the goods. Investigate any possible purchases for unusual stains and shake out clothing before bringing it into the house.
Movie Theaters
You may catch more than a matinee at your local Cineplex. With cushy, upholstered seats and plenty of human hosts, the movie theater is prime real estate for #Bs looking for a meal. Limit the personal belongings you bring with you to avoid bringing home your own critter horror show.
Planes, Trains and Buses
All kinds of people take public transportation, and #Bs ride for free on planes, trains and buses. #Bs are small and hard to detect, so it’s unlikely you’ll see the pests getting cozy in your seat. However, you can take precautions when you return home -- don’t place your bags on your bed, and closely inspect your belongings when you unpack.
Daycares, Schools and Colleges
Stuffed animals, cubbies and dorms are incubators for all things gross, and #Bs are spreading along with the rest of the germs among students and roommates. Kids in daycare share their cots and beloved toys from home. College kids bring home their laundry and #Bs. Check in with the school director or resident advisor for reports of a #B invasion.
Places of Worship
Is nothing sacred? Clearly not for #Bs who have been known to congregate in the holiest of places including temples, churches and religious meeting halls. Know how to spot a #B, and don’t let your guard down, even when offering up a prayer and gathering with like-minded worshippers.
Business Offices
The newest agenda item for many businesses is battling #Bs that are just as likely to nestle into the carpet or furniture in the boardroom as they are in a bedroom. With clients and packages coming and going, #Bs may move into an office space traveling on backpacks, briefcases, boxes, business suits or casual Friday clothing.
Laundry Facilities
If you’re sorting and folding in shared spaces, there’s more to worry about than mixing your lights and darks, as #Bs invade even the cleanest spots in town. #Bs victims are often instructed to wash and dry infected clothing and personal belongings using extremely high heat. Avoid cross contamination in the laundromat by keeping your dirty laundry to yourself, investigating tables and chairs, and using the hottest washing and drying temperatures possible.
Hospitals and Nursing Homes
#Bs don’t discriminate against the sick or the old, and to prove this point, hospitals around the country had to quarantine patient rooms and triage centers in late summer and fall 2010 to deal with #Bs. You won’t likely have time to investigate beds and furniture if you get sick, but rest assured, #Bs do not carry or spread disease.
Consignment, Thrift Shops and Yard Sales
Forgo the bargain-hunting and splurge on new goods to avoid bringing home #Bs. If you just can’t pass up a sale, at least try to stay away from used mattresses, bed frames and headboards. You may save money, but professional treatment for a #B infestation can set you back thousands of dollars.

We hope that you and X are able to get back to normalcy soon and will continue to have fond memories of being here at X.
Take care,
X&Y

Here is our response (I had to make it more personal, since we did interact with them a lot when they stayed here):
And I incorporated a great supportive article that I found on the Trav Channel site!
We are so sorry to hear that you and X have encountered "#Bs" in your home and we appreciate your sharing your concern with us.

Like other 1880s homes with door and window screens, and lots of old building cracks, there will always be the likelihood of harmless bugs of some kind in all of our rooms, but we assure you that in nine years and over 10,000 guests no one has ever encountered a #B here.

We do all the daily housekeeping ourselves and use a two-tiered white mattress cover system that allows us to prevent and monitor any unusual activity. In addition, once our guests left the room today we did a more thorough magnified inspection of the mattress seams, interior box frame, drawers, etc. If there were #Bs when you were here 4.5 months ago, by now there would be vast deposits of fecal stains, blood smear residue, nymph and egg carcasses, etc, and the entire Inn would have been infested as all of our laundry is co-mingled. AND everyone would be being bitten! Since April 26th, there have been over 100 different guests in the X room (one who stayed an entire week) plus another 500 guests in other rooms. Not a peep.

As you know, #Bs are found everywhere and prefer dark places. The laptop bag cozy hideaway may not even have been the initial point of entry. These critters "travel" and spread many ways. Here's an excellent article written by the Trav-- Channel:

You’ve heard all about #Bs in hotels, but did you know they’re also hiding (and waiting to hitch a ride home with you) in these common public places? #Bs are smaller than a grain of rice, but visible to the naked eye. So be on the lookout, and check out the top 10 places to accidentally pick up#B.

Public Libraries
Crawling into bed with a good book has taken on a whole new meaning if you’re borrowing books from the public library system. Before you head home with a stash of bestsellers, check the pages and spines for #Bs circulating from one reader’s home to the next.
Retail Stores
From clothes to furniture,#Bs are just waiting for moving day. In the summer of 2010, retail shops around Manhattan were closed for fumigation when #Bs were found hiding out in the goods. Investigate any possible purchases for unusual stains and shake out clothing before bringing it into the house.
Movie Theaters
You may catch more than a matinee at your local Cineplex. With cushy, upholstered seats and plenty of human hosts, the movie theater is prime real estate for #Bs looking for a meal. Limit the personal belongings you bring with you to avoid bringing home your own critter horror show.
Planes, Trains and Buses
All kinds of people take public transportation, and #Bs ride for free on planes, trains and buses. #Bs are small and hard to detect, so it’s unlikely you’ll see the pests getting cozy in your seat. However, you can take precautions when you return home -- don’t place your bags on your bed, and closely inspect your belongings when you unpack.
Stuffed animals, cubbies and dorms are incubators for all things gross, and #Bs are spreading along with the rest of the germs among students and roommates. Kids in daycare share their cots and beloved toys from home. College kids bring home their laundry and #Bs. Check in with the school director or resident advisor for reports of a #B invasion.
Places of Worship
Is nothing sacred? Clearly not for #Bs who have been known to congregate in the holiest of places including temples, churches and religious meeting halls. Know how to spot a #B, and don’t let your guard down, even when offering up a prayer and gathering with like-minded worshippers.
Business Offices
The newest agenda item for many businesses is battling #Bs that are just as likely to nestle into the carpet or furniture in the boardroom as they are in a bedroom. With clients and packages coming and going, #Bs may move into an office space traveling on backpacks, briefcases, boxes, business suits or casual Friday clothing.
Laundry Facilities
If you’re sorting and folding in shared spaces, there’s more to worry about than mixing your lights and darks, as #Bs invade even the cleanest spots in town. #Bs victims are often instructed to wash and dry infected clothing and personal belongings using extremely high heat. Avoid cross contamination in the laundromat by keeping your dirty laundry to yourself, investigating tables and chairs, and using the hottest washing and drying temperatures possible.
#Bs don’t discriminate against the sick or the old, and to prove this point, hospitals around the country had to quarantine patient rooms and triage centers in late summer and fall 2010 to deal with #Bs. You won’t likely have time to investigate beds and furniture if you get sick, but rest assured, #Bs do not carry or spread disease.
Forgo the bargain-hunting and splurge on new goods to avoid bringing home #Bs. If you just can’t pass up a sale, at least try to stay away from used mattresses, bed frames and headboards. You may save money, but professional treatment for a #B infestation can set you back thousands of dollars.

We hope that you and X are able to get back to normalcy soon and will continue to have fond memories of being here at X.
Take care,
X&Y.
Very good letter and glad you found an article that opens eyes to other possible pick up points.

I would add the link to the article as well.
This thread has been on my mind since I first read it, and took the time to thoroughly examine each room to put my mind at ease once again.

Public Libraries
Retail Stores
Movie Theaters
Planes, Trains and Buses
Places of Worship
Business Offices
Laundry Facilities

Take care,
X&Y.
Very good letter and glad you found an article that opens eyes to other possible pick up points.

I would add the link to the article as well.
This thread has been on my mind since I first read it, and took the time to thoroughly examine each room to put my mind at ease once again.
Did include a link, but as it mentioned the dreaded #Bs left it out here. Funny, I wrote my response and then found the article afterwards which totally supported it. 'Tis a very well done and credible article taking the focus off of lodging establishments. May y'all never have to cite it!!

Public Libraries
Retail Stores
Movie Theaters
Planes, Trains and Buses
Places of Worship
Business Offices
Laundry Facilities

Take care,
X&Y.
This is excellent! Very, very well written with supporting documentation. Showing no waver or doubt in your vigilance. Very nice. Please write my next TA review response for me!

Public Libraries
Retail Stores
Movie Theaters
Planes, Trains and Buses
Places of Worship
Business Offices
Laundry Facilities

Take care,
X&Y.
This is excellent! Very, very well written with supporting documentation. Showing no waver or doubt in your vigilance. Very nice. Please write my next TA review response for me!
And LOVE to thee Banana!!! May you forever be BeeBee Free!!!!

Back