Shared Bath Etiquette RANT ALERT

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the problem wasn't the shared bath, but actually the inconsiderate sharer.
Honestly, from the situation of someone who has shared bath, it happens from time to time that someone inconsiderate will take a shared bath, but thankfully it's highly unusual. In our case we generally have a way around this problem because there are multiple baths/WCs, but we have had to step in a couple of times with some light remarks, like reminding a guest to leave the bathroom the way they would like others to leave it and to take their towels and toiletries with them.
Only time we have really ever had to step into it was some girls who took every bathroom at the same time and we had to be specific that they could not do that. But out setup lends itself to that.
The innkeeper should have been able to remind the guest of the etiquette. But also the innkeeper should have extra hair dryers and the such so that people don't have to do their hair in the bathroom, etc. We try to keep bathrooms as clean as possible and as clear as possible.
PS: I keep the towels in the guest rooms for that reason. I would have asked her to move her personal items and if I had to, move them myself to her room. But to be 100% honest, I have NEVER had this happen in my shared bath. Maybe it's because people realize that I won't accept it?.
Jon Sable said:
Agreed.
Unfortunately this is why we don't want to be around people anymore...people are people.
Please SS don't write a neg review because of a guest being horrible. That wouldn't be fair.
When i stayed at a lovely inn years ago in Townsville Queensland before opening our own inn, there was a shared bath and two separate w/c for each bath, and to be honest I think I was the only one ever in the bathroom, people were super nice and would dart in and out. I did appreciate that!
But, this was in a place where people knew how to behave with shared baths. The sink was in the room, each room. Our room was an old WW2 operating theatre and really neat, so it was a give and take at this place (now a private home).
This was also the place the son would get grilled by the guests about living at a B&B. The only child and whenever they saw him they grilled him. I always remember that, and how the kids need to be separate from the inn or will grow up hating not only the inn but the parents too.
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
Agreed.
Unfortunately this is why we don't want to be around people anymore...people are people.
Please SS don't write a neg review because of a guest being horrible. That wouldn't be fair.
The review wouldn't be about the guest so much as the innkeeper's indifference.

Honestly, from the situation of someone who has shared bath, it happens from time to time that someone inconsiderate will take a shared bath, but thankfully it's highly unusual. In our case we generally have a way around this problem because there are multiple baths/WCs, but we have had to step in a couple of times with some light remarks, like reminding a guest to leave the bathroom the way they would like others to leave it and to take their towels and toiletries with them.
Only time we have really ever had to step into it was some girls who took every bathroom at the same time and we had to be specific that they could not do that. But out setup lends itself to that.
The innkeeper should have been able to remind the guest of the etiquette. But also the innkeeper should have extra hair dryers and the such so that people don't have to do their hair in the bathroom, etc. We try to keep bathrooms as clean as possible and as clear as possible.
PS: I keep the towels in the guest rooms for that reason. I would have asked her to move her personal items and if I had to, move them myself to her room. But to be 100% honest, I have NEVER had this happen in my shared bath. Maybe it's because people realize that I won't accept it?.
Jon Sable said:
Agreed.
When i stayed at a lovely inn years ago in Townsville Queensland before opening our own inn, there was a shared bath and two separate w/c for each bath, and to be honest I think I was the only one ever in the bathroom, people were super nice and would dart in and out. I did appreciate that!
But, this was in a place where people knew how to behave with shared baths. The sink was in the room, each room. Our room was an old WW2 operating theatre and really neat, so it was a give and take at this place (now a private home).
This was also the place the son would get grilled by the guests about living at a B&B. The only child and whenever they saw him they grilled him. I always remember that, and how the kids need to be separate from the inn or will grow up hating not only the inn but the parents too.
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
Agreed.
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
Agreed.
Sheesh if we had a dime every time an innkeeper was indifferent! haha
I remember the gal who thought DH was acting weird when he said "Oh are you alone?" as he was holding the door open and thought someone was coming around the porch with luggage. I was there, I heard the tone and yet (she was alone) and felt a strange whatever by his comment. He was only asking because he was holding the door wide open and the a/c was on and he was going to close it. I wish people would not write reviews based on feelings.
What I am saying is that the incident of the horrible guest prompted SS to go to the innkeeper. Not a reason to write a neg review. Lord help us if that starts to happen!
I had a guest (repeat) put her hand up and do a countdown this morning, "Number 1" she said "If you find anyone who..." and then next finger "Number 2" she said "If you hear about any..." and so on to #4. Like I was a 10 year old. It really rubbed me the wrong way. This gal gets $25 off her room ($50 for two nights), never leaves a tip and has a check list of things she wants me to keep an eye out for her?
Sorry, just sneaking in my own rant here. No harm no foul right?
shades_smile.gif

Dang! Why did you not post this while you were there? You know we would have been all over that situation with helpful passive aggressive retaliations!
Like -
Tossing all of her clothes in with the dirty towels.
Packing all of her stuff up in a single plastic bag and parking it outside her door.
I like the idea of leaving random undies in the shower for her to find but I would have gone with a jock strap and really huge bvds.
Last but worst - don't flush overnight. Even better if you're not feeling well.

Jon Sable said:
Agreed.
It's also about the innkeeper, because there are things that the innkeeper can do that clearly would have helped, like keeping the towels in the bedroom and ensuring that there wasn't a space that you could clearly leave things or leave things hanging. And having specific places for hanging things in the room that clearly signal to the guest that they aren't to leave things in the shared bath. I've rarely had guests leave even their wet towels in there, because there is clearly a space to hang them in the bedroom.
Funny thing is, our favourite guests are usually the shared bath guests. But it could also be related to who we market to and who chooses those rooms.
A few days ago I got a call from someone asking for any 4 nights together during the the two months... answer? Next year, sorry.

seriously, opening a place now i would avoid them at all costs. we started out with some and they were so hard to book! added bathrooms and the occupancy shot through the roof.
even if folks are respectful and nice, when you pay for a room you want to be able to use the toilet when you need to ... not stand in the hallway doing the pee pee dance.
i should've picked up a pair of enormous old lady undies and bra at the local store, soaked 'em and hung those over the shower rod.
shades_smile.gif
seashanty said:
seriously, opening a place now i would avoid them at all costs. we started out with some and they were so hard to book! added bathrooms and the occupancy shot through the roof.
even if folks are respectful and nice, when you pay for a room you want to be able to use the toilet when you need to ... not stand in the hallway doing the pee pee dance.
The issue, as is always the issue is that people won't tell you these problems. I wouldn't, I would just suck it up. This is why many shared bathrooms over seas have toilets and bathrooms separate. I have that in my own bathroom here now, after a major remodel. Toilet is never in the bathroom.
Thankful for WCs. Don't know why we put it all together anyway.
Jon Sable said:
Thankful for WCs. Don't know why we put it all together anyway.
Cheaper.
Waiting for the McDonald's DIY Big Mac. All the ingredients tossed in the bag. Cheaper!

We've stayed in B&Bs a couple of times with shared bathroom, but the towels have always been in the bedroom.
Shared bathroom doesn't mean shared towels as well. Yuk!!!

We've stayed in B&Bs a couple of times with shared bathroom, but the towels have always been in the bedroom.
Shared bathroom doesn't mean shared towels as well. Yuk!!!.
I used to have the towels in each room in the dressers and told guests the towels were there. Too often, they would forget to take their towels - so I have 3 sets on the towel bar of the - crap cannot think of what the darn antique thing is - and a basket of rolled towels as extras. Anyway, there are beaucoup towels, bath sheets, wash rags, and hand towels.

Jon Sable said:
Agreed.
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
Agreed.
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
Agreed.
I remember the gal who thought DH was acting weird when he said "Oh are you alone?" as he was holding the door open and thought someone was coming around the porch with luggage. I was there, I heard the tone and yet (she was alone) and felt a strange whatever by his comment. He was only asking because he was holding the door wide open and the a/c was on and he was going to close it. I wish people would not write reviews based on feelings.
What I am saying is that the incident of the horrible guest prompted SS to go to the innkeeper. Not a reason to write a neg review. Lord help us if that starts to happen!
I had a guest (repeat) put her hand up and do a countdown this morning, "Number 1" she said "If you find anyone who..." and then next finger "Number 2" she said "If you hear about any..." and so on to #4. Like I was a 10 year old. It really rubbed me the wrong way. This gal gets $25 off her room ($50 for two nights), never leaves a tip and has a check list of things she wants me to keep an eye out for her?
shades_smile.gif

the ones who get the discounts never leaves tips!

update: i didn't write a review.
yes, the problem originated with the entitled guest 'sharing' the bath.
however, the innkeeper made me feel like second class ... i didn't book a bargain room and then try for more than i paid for. i took that room as the only one available. but i did not anticipate having to wait over 1/2 hour in the middle of the day just to use the 'facilities' only to discover the other guest was using the sink as a wash basin. the innkeeper's attitude by turning her back on me when i tried to explain my urgent need was rude and a put down.
her response was basically you get what you pay for. true - but does she routinely treat those who book the ultra-expensive suite better than those who book the small rooms with shared bath? i do think so in her case.
as an innkeeper i had rooms with private baths and shared baths and did have to do the uncomfortable occasional mediation when we had a guest who took over that shared amenity. it's part of the job. i hope i didn't make anyone feel they deserved more or less based on their room rate.
as i say, no review ... but i won't go back.

We do have the shared bath but I would NOT have ignored that behavior in my house. We have been fortunate (to date) to have only people respectful of others. I admit that whenever possible, I make the shared bath a private. When I have long-term they are in one of the rooms that are shared - and IF I get another reservation for the other room I have the courtesy to inform the long-term that they will be sharing the bathroom for whatever the stay.
(When we had 3 with shared, I had thunder mugs (with lids) under the bed or dresser in each room for "emergencies" - and they are still in the rooms.).
Thunder Mugs? Emergencies? WHAT?!?

however, the innkeeper made me feel like second class ... i didn't book a bargain room and then try for more than i paid for. i took that room as the only one available. but i did not anticipate having to wait over 1/2 hour in the middle of the day just to use the 'facilities' only to discover the other guest was using the sink as a wash basin. the innkeeper's attitude by turning her back on me when i tried to explain my urgent need was rude and a put down.
her response was basically you get what you pay for. true - but does she routinely treat those who book the ultra-expensive suite better than those who book the small rooms with shared bath? i do think so in her case.
as an innkeeper i had rooms with private baths and shared baths and did have to do the uncomfortable occasional mediation when we had a guest who took over that shared amenity. it's part of the job. i hope i didn't make anyone feel they deserved more or less based on their room rate.
as i say, no review ... but i won't go back..
sorry you had to experience that ..but she needs a review from you!

Jon Sable said:
Agreed.
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
Agreed.
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
Agreed.
shades_smile.gif

What kind of things are you having to "keep an eye out for her?"

Dang! Why did you not post this while you were there? You know we would have been all over that situation with helpful passive aggressive retaliations!
Like -
Tossing all of her clothes in with the dirty towels.
Packing all of her stuff up in a single plastic bag and parking it outside her door.
I like the idea of leaving random undies in the shower for her to find but I would have gone with a jock strap and really huge bvds.
Last but worst - don't flush overnight. Even better if you're not feeling well..
How about an unwrapped condom in the shower
omg_smile.gif
lmao... haha I crack myself up!

We do have the shared bath but I would NOT have ignored that behavior in my house. We have been fortunate (to date) to have only people respectful of others. I admit that whenever possible, I make the shared bath a private. When I have long-term they are in one of the rooms that are shared - and IF I get another reservation for the other room I have the courtesy to inform the long-term that they will be sharing the bathroom for whatever the stay.
(When we had 3 with shared, I had thunder mugs (with lids) under the bed or dresser in each room for "emergencies" - and they are still in the rooms.).
Hast thou never heard of chamber pots? Thunder mug is another name for it.

Jon Sable said:
Agreed.
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
Agreed.
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
Agreed.
shades_smile.gif

Kay Nein said:
You really want to know? Here are a few verbatim
If there is a young person who can come out weekly to mow and weed whack her family plot. Not someone who lives far enough they have to drive, or it would not be financially feasible. NOTE (No, it is not here in town btw)
If there is a "Sears house" that is quaint and in not too bad of disrepair on 5+ or more acres because she wants to buy one and have horses and one goat. But she doesn't want a big house to upkeep, so a sears house would be perfect. She could then make it into a quaint cottage of sorts.
dot dot dot

Eeewww, no, really? I'd rather the guest was dancing in the hall than shoving a urine filled container under the bed. And you have to empty that? Hell to the No. (just sayin')

as i say, no review ... but i won't go back..
EmptyNest said:
I agree. No one else should have to endure that type of behavior. I'm sorry that you did. And as someone else suggested, I think I would have pulled the other guest's crap out of the bathroom and put it on the floor outside the bathroom.

Eeewww, no, really? I'd rather the guest was dancing in the hall than shoving a urine filled container under the bed. And you have to empty that? Hell to the No. (just sayin')
First off, in the old days before indoor plumbing, that was the night-time option to going down the garden path. Mine all have lids, and only once in all my time (10 years of 3 with shared) did it ever get used. The user emptied it and told me it had been used. I routinely did (and still do in case of a "joker") check for being used. Prefer that to a puddle. Most people thought they were cute decor. I always referred to them as "emergency facilities".
Personally, I would prefer a thunder mug to busting a gut. But I grew up with the walk to down the garden path so i guess country girls see things differently from city folks - and that is not meant as a slam, just saying'.

First off, in the old days before indoor plumbing, that was the night-time option to going down the garden path. Mine all have lids, and only once in all my time (10 years of 3 with shared) did it ever get used. The user emptied it and told me it had been used. I routinely did (and still do in case of a "joker") check for being used. Prefer that to a puddle. Most people thought they were cute decor. I always referred to them as "emergency facilities".
Personally, I would prefer a thunder mug to busting a gut. But I grew up with the walk to down the garden path so i guess country girls see things differently from city folks - and that is not meant as a slam, just saying'.
wink_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:

I would totally use one!

Back