Shared Bath Etiquette RANT ALERT

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
update: i didn't write a review.
yes, the problem originated with the entitled guest 'sharing' the bath.
however, the innkeeper made me feel like second class ... i didn't book a bargain room and then try for more than i paid for. i took that room as the only one available. but i did not anticipate having to wait over 1/2 hour in the middle of the day just to use the 'facilities' only to discover the other guest was using the sink as a wash basin. the innkeeper's attitude by turning her back on me when i tried to explain my urgent need was rude and a put down.
her response was basically you get what you pay for. true - but does she routinely treat those who book the ultra-expensive suite better than those who book the small rooms with shared bath? i do think so in her case.
as an innkeeper i had rooms with private baths and shared baths and did have to do the uncomfortable occasional mediation when we had a guest who took over that shared amenity. it's part of the job. i hope i didn't make anyone feel they deserved more or less based on their room rate.
as i say, no review ... but i won't go back..
Write the review!!! You will be fair but other guests need to know what to expect from their innkeeper. Let the innkeeper deal with her end in a management response.

however, the innkeeper made me feel like second class ... i didn't book a bargain room and then try for more than i paid for. i took that room as the only one available. but i did not anticipate having to wait over 1/2 hour in the middle of the day just to use the 'facilities' only to discover the other guest was using the sink as a wash basin. the innkeeper's attitude by turning her back on me when i tried to explain my urgent need was rude and a put down.
her response was basically you get what you pay for. true - but does she routinely treat those who book the ultra-expensive suite better than those who book the small rooms with shared bath? i do think so in her case.
as an innkeeper i had rooms with private baths and shared baths and did have to do the uncomfortable occasional mediation when we had a guest who took over that shared amenity. it's part of the job. i hope i didn't make anyone feel they deserved more or less based on their room rate.
You know what, my best room is SB. But I treat all my guests equally badly... okay, bad joke... equally wonderfully. Those who have a small room and pay less get treated as those who have a grand room and pay more and those who have a PB as well. I don't think how you are treated should be measured by how much you pay. A small room is great for people who live in Paris, NY or London but not for others. But it's a great way for those on a limited budget to get all the grandeur of the house, the breakfast, the neighbourhood and us.
This is a case where the innkeeper should know better. I'm not sure a review is the place to do it, but they should know that a little intervention goes a long way to alleviating a situation.

Write the review!!! You will be fair but other guests need to know what to expect from their innkeeper. Let the innkeeper deal with her end in a management response.
Silverspoon said:
I still don't think you should. I think we need to stand by our innkeepers, unless they really tick us off! Stuff happens, we have no idea what happened that day... no excuses, but stuff happens. LIKE THOSE BAD GUESTS maybe that was the last straw for her.
Just sayin'

A review - IMHO No.
But should she hear from you? IMHO - Yes Indeed!
I would email her reminding her of the incident and the conversation. I would provide helpful ways that would have made your SB stay more pleasant like having the bath towels IN the room, with a place to hang them or wet clothes etc.

If she was not aware of your former life, you may inform her of that as well.

She may just brush it off like water on a duck's back but hopefully she will think that at least some of your ideas will make her innkeeping life a little less stressful.

So we are like the Red Queen? (I think it was her rather than the White) We say about the innkeeper - Off with her head! We have no idea what she may have had happen that day (or week) - who or what she may have had to deal with. She may have just had the witches that dissed SS's B & B so she could hear it. Perhaps it was Madame Bathroom Hog who upset her (or threatened a bad review).
I am truly sorry for the way SS was treated and wish we could collectively kick the butt of the hog but I am not ready to say - Hang 'er high! I know what it is to have to deal with things that happen and how easy it is to feel like what else can go wrong or happen. Days when walking in front of a Mack truck (or sitting in a cell) sound like the perfect solution. I am for just saying crap happened, most times I am the statue and I just would not return.

A review - IMHO No.
I would email her reminding her of the incident and the conversation. I would provide helpful ways that would have made your SB stay more pleasant like having the bath towels IN the room, with a place to hang them or wet clothes etc.

She may just brush it off like water on a duck's back but hopefully she will think that at least some of your ideas will make her innkeeping life a little less stressful..
I could go either way. No review if the problem wasn't brought to the innkeeper's attention for handling. But. It was and it wasn't handled.
Ss had to ask for towels. She had to ask for a backup solution. She was treated poorly. The innkeeper didn't even indicate she would try to speak with the other guest.
It doesn't even sound like she listened to the problem.
We deal with crap, it's our job. Then we come here and gripe about crap but not a single one of us let's the guest down in such a deliberate fashion.
Maybe we can't give the guest what they want but we do sympathize and listen.
And I bet had this innkeeper offered the least compassion ss wouldn't be quite as peeved.
The story would have been about the piggy guest and how the innkeeper was so understanding and helpful.

people in the UK won't really even stand for a private bathroom anymore - we used to have 2 which we got rid of with the remodel of the top landing and no matter how often you told people that they had to lock them they would leave them open ie another key on their key ring so they could lock up their stuff - people used to nip into room5's all the time for a wee as they couldn't be bothered to go up a floor to their own room.
10 times less hassel to have ensuite.

Also I would have told off the guest - she doesn't know who I am! inn keeper may be worried about a trip adviser but if I said "sorry don't you know the etiquette of shared bathrooms? you don't hog them when someone is outside waiting! and take your fricking washing with you!" and handed it to her"

A review - IMHO No.

She may just brush it off like water on a duck's back but hopefully she will think that at least some of your ideas will make her innkeeping life a little less stressful..
I could go either way. No review if the problem wasn't brought to the innkeeper's attention for handling. But. It was and it wasn't handled.
Ss had to ask for towels. She had to ask for a backup solution. She was treated poorly. The innkeeper didn't even indicate she would try to speak with the other guest.
We deal with crap, it's our job. Then we come here and gripe about crap but not a single one of us let's the guest down in such a deliberate fashion.
And I bet had this innkeeper offered the least compassion ss wouldn't be quite as peeved.
The story would have been about the piggy guest and how the innkeeper was so understanding and helpful.
Madeleine said:
So we have to publicly review?
I am not doubting SS experiences. I don't want her to think that at all. She is the real deal.
I do know things are emotionally driven. Just ask my husband. Something can feel like the end of the world to me and he doesn't understand what the big deal is. Like that rotten guest calling the building dept and health dept on us - I was overwhelmed by that, it was water on a duck's back to him (and he is the one dealing with the building/reno/maintenance side of the inn). We had already passed muster with both, so I was "feeling it" much more than he was. But then I WAS THE ONE who dealt with the bully guests.
Maybe the rude girls were her bosses daughters are something, whotheheckknows. Maybe she just lost her dear mother and this didn't really phase her, but she had to keep on going because she had rooms booked in (for those who have had this happen you understand how it is) or maybe she just didn't care. I will give her option 3, being a poor innkeeper.
In other news does her TA site show she is a poor careless innkeeper? We don't know and won't know, only SS can answer that.

A review - IMHO No.

Madeleine said:
I am not doubting SS experiences. I don't want her to think that at all. She is the real deal.
I do know things are emotionally driven. Just ask my husband. Something can feel like the end of the world to me and he doesn't understand what the big deal is. Like that rotten guest calling the building dept and health dept on us - I was overwhelmed by that, it was water on a duck's back to him (and he is the one dealing with the building/reno/maintenance side of the inn). We had already passed muster with both, so I was "feeling it" much more than he was. But then I WAS THE ONE who dealt with the bully guests.
Maybe the rude girls were her bosses daughters are something, whotheheckknows. Maybe she just lost her dear mother and this didn't really phase her, but she had to keep on going because she had rooms booked in (for those who have had this happen you understand how it is) or maybe she just didn't care. I will give her option 3, being a poor innkeeper.
In other news does her TA site show she is a poor careless innkeeper? We don't know and won't know, only SS can answer that.
Madeleine said:
Good point. Is this a one time thing or a well known dynamic?
There is an inn in this town with a series of TA reviews about how the innkeeper gets drunk and mean. And the cops have to be called. If I were looking for a place and noticed several reviews about a mean drunk innkeeper, I might steer clear. If I saw one, I might invite the guy to have a cocktail with us. jk, but you get the drift.

A review - IMHO No.

Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
There is an inn in this town with a series of TA reviews about how the innkeeper gets drunk and mean. And the cops have to be called. If I were looking for a place and noticed several reviews about a mean drunk innkeeper, I might steer clear. If I saw one, I might invite the guy to have a cocktail with us. jk, but you get the drift.
TheBeachHouse said:
[S said:
Madeleine[/S] Joey Bloggs]
Hey that was MY quote~ ha
Can you imagine a drunk innkeeper? Guests tell us wacky stories all the time. This forum is above par on everything!

A review - IMHO No.

Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
[S said:
Can you imagine a drunk innkeeper? Guests tell us wacky stories all the time. This forum is above par on everything!
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
oops. As you can see, computer code is not my best thing. LOL

A review - IMHO No.

Ok I am a bit different I know. But for me I would write her a note. Then explain what she could of done different.
Maybe she just didn't know how to handle it? Or it could of been a very bad day. Either way writing to her nicely will be a learning experience for her also.
You may just say your not going to write a bad review but just want to help you with a bit of wise wisdom. You may want to be very brave and tell her you are an inn keeper. Your thoughts just may help her. Give her some ideas in how she may avoide this from happing again..
I see this morning Copperhead agrees with me. So I guess I am not far off the mark.

A review - IMHO No.

Madeleine said:
I guess it's because when I have a bad day I get a bad review. Sure, I have avoided writing reviews about all the problems we have encountered but I have never referred a single person to those places. All of them here in my state.
Emailing and telling the innkeeper how I think she should have handled the issue gets into "how to run your business" territory and we all know how that works out. At least for me.
Maybe then an email stating what happened, how it was handled and then stating because it wasn't handled ss does not see herself referring to this place in the future and she thought it was better to say so in an email than online.
But it was poorly done and why does the innkeeper get a pass on that? If we can rave when things are well done we should be able to complain when they're not.

A review - IMHO No.

Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
[S said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
[S said:
In one review, the reviewer wrote that the cops told him, "yeah, he gets that way when he drinks." Like they totally were familiar with the problem.

A review - IMHO No.

Madeleine said:
I guess it's because when I have a bad day I get a bad review. Sure, I have avoided writing reviews about all the problems we have encountered but I have never referred a single person to those places. All of them here in my state.
Emailing and telling the innkeeper how I think she should have handled the issue gets into "how to run your business" territory and we all know how that works out. At least for me.
Maybe then an email stating what happened, how it was handled and then stating because it wasn't handled ss does not see herself referring to this place in the future and she thought it was better to say so in an email than online.
But it was poorly done and why does the innkeeper get a pass on that? If we can rave when things are well done we should be able to complain when they're not.
Madeleine said:
This is my personal standard. I don't write neg reviews of other innkeepers. I may do as SS did here and discuss it, what could they have done better and how they handled it. It is a code for me personally. I have stayed at some places I felt could have done and should have done a lot more in various departments.
Call it the brotherhood of the apron, or whatever. I think it is a low blow to do so. But chat away about the issues, I think is healthy discussion - who knows maybe that innkeeper is here and doesn't reveal themselves, or maybe there is another here with shared bath who never realized a problem such as this existed because "well no one has ever complained, so everything is dandy"

Back