Stuck and out of luck. New innkeeping job making $16 a day. Live-in position. Help!!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with some advice previously mentioned. You are never stuck and what's the saying, luck is when opportunity meets talent? So, take up the challenge of creating ops - that's the fun part of starting working.
I think your two best options are to leave or to talk to the owners/managers as Madeline suggested or Innkeep talked about. Scratch the whole legal thing - it will lead to stress and resentment.
If you sit down to talk, I would suggest not bringing up the legal codes because that's just going to make them defensive and not like you in the long term. (You can be right and still lose- and yeah, that's a lesson I learned myself...ummm...several times). I would say that there may be about a 30% chance you can talk them into a different payment scheme.
Knowing you'll probably not win, what do you have to lose? Sit down to talk. Suggest focusing on facts - you'd like to make more at work, you enjoy the work, it's one of your first jobs so it was your fault for not realizing this, but you likely aren't going to be able to make ends meet. You were wondering if they had any thoughts...you had one that you'd like to share- where they might get some extra money as well, a 10% for extra guests brought in.
This past year, I read a really great book called Crucial Conversations. I loved it and highly recommend. Good luck!

i am sorry.
sometimes what sounds like a good idea is not so great when you start actually doing the work and feel grossly underpaid.
i will just say i was not compensated well for being live-in innkeeper. i also felt trapped ... but it was, in truth, a situation of my own making. it was a vulnerable time for me and i relied on a handshake deal ... NEVER the way to do business. now that i have some distance from that part of my life, i shake my head at my own folly.
if your employers continually hire people who stay until they are fed up, they are not likely to change what they are doing. i saw this in small rural areas of Maine. employers who acted like tyrants because there was always a fresh supply of people to hire.
i am wondering if you are supposedly getting TIPS in addition to your wages.
do you get TIPS?
this could account for a very big loophole in laws governing minimum wages. and watch out ... because you will be expected to report those TIPS on your taxes if your employer is saying you receive them.
since you say that jobs are hard to come by ... KEEP doing this job but search for another.
you have internet access, so start your search there.
look for housekeeping jobs, any jobs that are in line with what you are doing now. keep a log of all the things you do so you can pull together a great resume. the job you want comes with free housing since it seems you need that? you may have to move out of the area ... but you are young, i say GO.
i won't slam you but ... try to quit the cigarettes. they suck the life out of you (literally) as well as a good chunk of the small wage you are earning. plus a lot of high class b&b's don't want to employ smokers or won't allow you to smoke on the property.
good luck.

i am sorry.
sometimes what sounds like a good idea is not so great when you start actually doing the work and feel grossly underpaid.
i will just say i was not compensated well for being live-in innkeeper. i also felt trapped ... but it was, in truth, a situation of my own making. it was a vulnerable time for me and i relied on a handshake deal ... NEVER the way to do business. now that i have some distance from that part of my life, i shake my head at my own folly.
if your employers continually hire people who stay until they are fed up, they are not likely to change what they are doing. i saw this in small rural areas of Maine. employers who acted like tyrants because there was always a fresh supply of people to hire.
do you get TIPS?
this could account for a very big loophole in laws governing minimum wages. and watch out ... because you will be expected to report those TIPS on your taxes if your employer is saying you receive them.
since you say that jobs are hard to come by ... KEEP doing this job but search for another.
look for housekeeping jobs, any jobs that are in line with what you are doing now. keep a log of all the things you do so you can pull together a great resume. the job you want comes with free housing since it seems you need that? you may have to move out of the area ... but you are young, i say GO.
i won't slam you but ... try to quit the cigarettes. they suck the life out of you (literally) as well as a good chunk of the small wage you are earning. plus a lot of high class b&b's don't want to employ smokers or won't allow you to smoke on the property.
good luck..
Isn't it strange, someone who wanted our help so much has never come back to let us know what is happening.????

i am sorry.
do you get TIPS?
good luck..
Isn't it strange, someone who wanted our help so much has never come back to let us know what is happening.????
I think she was looking for the poor imposed upon baby and they are BAD people routine but got real life from us - a touch of sympathy but more if you do not like it, change it. I guess that is why we are sharks and all he lovely tags we have been given. We have been around the block a few times and will always tell it like it is.

i am sorry.
do you get TIPS?
good luck..
I think she expected all of us to be outraged with her. I think she might have gotten a good does of reality here and didn't like it.

well, we'll see.
could be a post-n-run or maybe she will come back.

i am sorry.
do you get TIPS?
good luck..
I think she was looking for the poor imposed upon baby and they are BAD people routine but got real life from us - a touch of sympathy but more if you do not like it, change it. I guess that is why we are sharks and all he lovely tags we have been given. We have been around the block a few times and will always tell it like it is.
We are masters of our own destiny. Whine goes well with cheese and crackers :)

Thank you everyone. I do agree with the cheap labor part. The other lady who works here got her paycheck cut in half as soon as I started working and before she got this job, she was living in a homeless camp. They pretty much gave me the job on the spot without much of an interview. I do make tips, but I do not believe they are reported. I also don't think I will be getting tax returns from this job either. I was just looking for a little bit more info and advice to help me out when I do actually get to talk to them in 2 weeks when they get back from vacation. I shouldn't have mentioned my age. The response would have been different. Thanks anyway though. Lots of good pointers.

Thank you everyone. I do agree with the cheap labor part. The other lady who works here got her paycheck cut in half as soon as I started working and before she got this job, she was living in a homeless camp. They pretty much gave me the job on the spot without much of an interview. I do make tips, but I do not believe they are reported. I also don't think I will be getting tax returns from this job either. I was just looking for a little bit more info and advice to help me out when I do actually get to talk to them in 2 weeks when they get back from vacation. I shouldn't have mentioned my age. The response would have been different. Thanks anyway though. Lots of good pointers..
Ashtreemeadow said:
Thank you everyone. I do agree with the cheap labor part. The other lady who works here got her paycheck cut in half as soon as I started working and before she got this job, she was living in a homeless camp. They pretty much gave me the job on the spot without much of an interview. I do make tips, but I do not believe they are reported. I also don't think I will be getting tax returns from this job either. I was just looking for a little bit more info and advice to help me out when I do actually get to talk to them in 2 weeks when they get back from vacation. I shouldn't have mentioned my age. The response would have been different. Thanks anyway though. Lots of good pointers.
It's not actually correct that your age made a difference. We've had other innkeepers on here who found themselves in similar situations. Sign on for one job and find out the owners let all the other employees go and now you're doing everything and being paid only for one job.
If no taxes will be reported then no taxes will be collected and your 'employer' will state that you are an independent contractor and you will be required to pay all the back taxes yourself, should you get caught. Of course, there's no guarantee anyone is going to be looking.
But, you can be sure your employers know all the loopholes.
I actually feel badly for you. You're in a tough spot. But, you sound like you can take care of yourself. It really stinks that employers think nothing of screwing the people who work for them. (And, yes, I am an employer.)

Thank you everyone. I do agree with the cheap labor part. The other lady who works here got her paycheck cut in half as soon as I started working and before she got this job, she was living in a homeless camp. They pretty much gave me the job on the spot without much of an interview. I do make tips, but I do not believe they are reported. I also don't think I will be getting tax returns from this job either. I was just looking for a little bit more info and advice to help me out when I do actually get to talk to them in 2 weeks when they get back from vacation. I shouldn't have mentioned my age. The response would have been different. Thanks anyway though. Lots of good pointers..
When I talked to the employee hotline guy (he's sf-based and also a lawyer so he knows what he's talking about), that was the first question I asked. Am I considered an independent contractor? He said it did not apply to me. I should give him a call again...

As for the other questions:
- do I get food? No
- what are my duties? Reservations, check-ins, check-outs, breakfast, room and bathroom cleaning, laundry, dishes, dusting, polishing, phone calls, sweeping, mopping, watering flowers, leaf-blowing, etc.
- do I get benefits? No benefits.
- are there other people working other than the girl I mentioned? Just us two, neither with experience in this field.
- what else do I pay for? Phone, internet, car insurance and gas.
- what experience do I have running a b&b? None, but I have been working since I was 13. I started with babysitting every weekend, then when I turned 16 I began getting restaurant jobs, seasonal jobs, etc. I have also worked in a chiropractic office and lived in Tahoe by myself for 6 months and worked and paid for bills. The other lady that works here doesn't know how to cook really...
I must also say that I do not mind spending so much of my week here, I just think the pay is too low for all I am expected to do. I like the work, but the pay is unsatisfactory. I feel like I am putting in a lot more effort in a half a month to only make $230. If a guest pays for two nights in one of our fancier and bigger rooms, it costs about $230 for them.

- do I get food? No
- what are my duties? Reservations, check-ins, check-outs, breakfast, room and bathroom cleaning, laundry, dishes, dusting, polishing, phone calls, sweeping, mopping, watering flowers, leaf-blowing, etc.
- are there other people working other than the girl I mentioned? Just us two, neither with experience in this field.
- what experience do I have running a b&b? None, but I have been working since I was 13. I started with babysitting every weekend, then when I turned 16 I began getting restaurant jobs, seasonal jobs, etc. I have also worked in a chiropractic office and lived in Tahoe by myself for 6 months and worked and paid for bills. The other lady that works here doesn't know how to cook really...
I must also say that I do not mind spending so much of my week here, I just think the pay is too low for all I am expected to do. I like the work, but the pay is unsatisfactory. I feel like I am putting in a lot more effort in a half a month to only make $230. If a guest pays for two nights in one of our fancier and bigger rooms, it costs about $230 for them..
You are looking only at what the guest pays and not at other costs like: mortgage, electricity, property tax, sales taxes, supplies, etc. Everything has a cost associated with it.
Why don't you look at how you can make more in tips and make people's stay exceptional? Make what you do and how you do it worth more money. At that point you can continue to look for other work and be ready to walk away from this job if they don't increase your pay, with a good resume and experience behind you. The reviews online might be exactly your proof when you ask for a raise.

- do I get food? No
I must also say that I do not mind spending so much of my week here, I just think the pay is too low for all I am expected to do. I like the work, but the pay is unsatisfactory. I feel like I am putting in a lot more effort in a half a month to only make $230. If a guest pays for two nights in one of our fancier and bigger rooms, it costs about $230 for them..
You are looking only at what the guest pays and not at other costs like: mortgage, electricity, property tax, sales taxes, supplies, etc. Everything has a cost associated with it.
Why don't you look at how you can make more in tips and make people's stay exceptional? Make what you do and how you do it worth more money. At that point you can continue to look for other work and be ready to walk away from this job if they don't increase your pay, with a good resume and experience behind you. The reviews online might be exactly your proof when you ask for a raise.
and for the new job ie you can take a print out showing 10 reviews stating how lovely you were it make a strong case

Ashtreemeadow said:
ashtreemeadow ... it DOES matter your age ... to me, anyway. unless you have a child or children or are responsible for someone else, you have more freedom to leave this position as soon as you find a better one. give your notice and then go.
i had children very young and totally understand the feeling of entrapment, as soon as you have to provide for another person, your options are fewer.
you do not have to stay there forever ... if you are willing to relocate. think of this job as a learning experience, temporary. i am working now in two jobs i consider temporary because this will not be my life two years from now. i still stronlgy advise you to seek out something else while you are employed.
please be very careful about taxes. you have not said but i suspect you are being paid under the table since you don't think you will be getting a w2. i still think TIPS estimated are the way these folks are going to justify paying you a low hourly wage.
you know this arrangement could bite you, as madeline said ... because the way around the employer paying worker's comp is to claim you are an independent contractor and have your own insurance. IF anyone finds out you work there. i suspect it's all being done with no taxes taken out, undeclared by anyone. sounds like a deal because you take home all the money ... however small ... but you have no protections either ... no way to claim unemployment if the job goes away because there is no record of your employment, no contribution to social security (although some would say this is a good thing). no way to claim unfair wages are being paid, that you're not getting overtime, etc. because you aren't officially an employee. as soon as you earn $600 , any independent contractor is supposed to be reported on that business' tax return using 1099 misc forms. also, the irs knows darn well when someone is an employee not an independent contractor, especially if they are living on site
okay ... i could go on and on here ... you can tell i don't like it

Age is relevant in several ways - entry level with no training will not draw the same wage as years of experience; age gives a better idea of how much freedom of movement you have as in no dependents to consider; however your age had nothing to do with my answers as I would have told anyone to look for another job. It is always easier to get another job when you currently HAVE a job.
I truly believe we are each always at a fork in the road and which fork we take determines what happens in the future. Sometimes, if we are lucky, after taking a "wrong fork" we have an opportunity to get back on the right track and intersect with a better "road". I speak from total experience.

When I talked to the employee hotline guy (he's sf-based and also a lawyer so he knows what he's talking about), that was the first question I asked. Am I considered an independent contractor? He said it did not apply to me. I should give him a call again...
Ashtreemeadow said:
CA is very strict with their independent contractor rules. I dealt with them for many years since I was in an industry (not b&b) where there was much abuse. You are definitely NOT an independent contractor. You would need to make a complaint to the state. Even after a complaint, it could take quite some time for anything to happen.
So, you must make your short term plans. What are you prepared to do right now to either make your situation better, or to change jobs? You have 2 days off mid-week. Hit the pavement and get your resume out there. Look for a cheap room to rent with room mates or look on ads that are looking for housemates cheap. Even getting a fast food job and paying cheap rent somewhere would be better. Maybe another b&b is looking for housekeepers. If you found another job in the same industry, you could work your way up to an assistant innkeeper and make the money you deserve.
I guess what I'm saying is they are not holding you captive. YOU ARE. It's a tough situation, but you're the only person who can change your life. Don't be frozen from fear or anger. Get motivated by it.
Come back here on the forum and let us know what you are doing to change your situation. You'll be amazed at how much encouragement you can get here!
GO FOR IT, YOU CAN DO IT!!

- do I get food? No
Ashtreemeadow said:
I feel like I am putting in a lot more effort in a half a month to only make $230. If a guest pays for two nights in one of our fancier and bigger rooms, it costs about $230 for them.
Yikes! CA/SF area is a very expensive place. I can't imagine what the place is like you work in if the bigger, fancier rooms are only $115 per night. Believe me, if those are the rates, your owners are not raking it in.

Ashtreemeadow said:
ashtreemeadow ... it DOES matter your age ... to me, anyway. unless you have a child or children or are responsible for someone else, you have more freedom to leave this position as soon as you find a better one. give your notice and then go.
i had children very young and totally understand the feeling of entrapment, as soon as you have to provide for another person, your options are fewer.
you do not have to stay there forever ... if you are willing to relocate. think of this job as a learning experience, temporary. i am working now in two jobs i consider temporary because this will not be my life two years from now. i still stronlgy advise you to seek out something else while you are employed.
please be very careful about taxes. you have not said but i suspect you are being paid under the table since you don't think you will be getting a w2. i still think TIPS estimated are the way these folks are going to justify paying you a low hourly wage.
you know this arrangement could bite you, as madeline said ... because the way around the employer paying worker's comp is to claim you are an independent contractor and have your own insurance. IF anyone finds out you work there. i suspect it's all being done with no taxes taken out, undeclared by anyone. sounds like a deal because you take home all the money ... however small ... but you have no protections either ... no way to claim unemployment if the job goes away because there is no record of your employment, no contribution to social security (although some would say this is a good thing). no way to claim unfair wages are being paid, that you're not getting overtime, etc. because you aren't officially an employee. as soon as you earn $600 , any independent contractor is supposed to be reported on that business' tax return using 1099 misc forms. also, the irs knows darn well when someone is an employee not an independent contractor, especially if they are living on site
okay ... i could go on and on here ... you can tell i don't like it
This is where I'm confused. They had me fill out a w-4, and I always claim 0. So I am not sure why it doesn't say how much is being withheld on my paycheck. My employers have not shown me any proof of deductions for rent either.
Also, as I have been worried to mention, as it did not seem appropriate or relevant, I an actually expecting right now. Yup, I just found I am pregnant. So 5,400 a year is definitely.... Well... Not sufficient if I am trying to save for a bundle of joy.... Stressful situation...

This is the reason some limit their internet time, when you find forums and groups with people who arrive on the scene all wound up and want complete strangers to be their saviors with innformation. If there are labor laws being violated, go to the authorities. Now is a good time to find out what they are and help yourself with some self determination if you are stuck.

Back