Stuck and out of luck. New innkeeping job making $16 a day. Live-in position. Help!!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for the other questions:
- do I get food? No
- what are my duties? Reservations, check-ins, check-outs, breakfast, room and bathroom cleaning, laundry, dishes, dusting, polishing, phone calls, sweeping, mopping, watering flowers, leaf-blowing, etc.
- do I get benefits? No benefits.
- are there other people working other than the girl I mentioned? Just us two, neither with experience in this field.
- what else do I pay for? Phone, internet, car insurance and gas.
- what experience do I have running a b&b? None, but I have been working since I was 13. I started with babysitting every weekend, then when I turned 16 I began getting restaurant jobs, seasonal jobs, etc. I have also worked in a chiropractic office and lived in Tahoe by myself for 6 months and worked and paid for bills. The other lady that works here doesn't know how to cook really...
I must also say that I do not mind spending so much of my week here, I just think the pay is too low for all I am expected to do. I like the work, but the pay is unsatisfactory. I feel like I am putting in a lot more effort in a half a month to only make $230. If a guest pays for two nights in one of our fancier and bigger rooms, it costs about $230 for them..
Ashtreemeadow said:
I feel like I am putting in a lot more effort in a half a month to only make $230. If a guest pays for two nights in one of our fancier and bigger rooms, it costs about $230 for them.
Yikes! CA/SF area is a very expensive place. I can't imagine what the place is like you work in if the bigger, fancier rooms are only $115 per night. Believe me, if those are the rates, your owners are not raking it in.
Actually they're 137. My math is bad too. Haha.
My employers notified me and my coworker that it takes 1,000 each month to keep the doors open...
It is in the foothills of the sierra nevadas in Apple hill country. Not in sf.

Thank you everyone. I do agree with the cheap labor part. The other lady who works here got her paycheck cut in half as soon as I started working and before she got this job, she was living in a homeless camp. They pretty much gave me the job on the spot without much of an interview. I do make tips, but I do not believe they are reported. I also don't think I will be getting tax returns from this job either. I was just looking for a little bit more info and advice to help me out when I do actually get to talk to them in 2 weeks when they get back from vacation. I shouldn't have mentioned my age. The response would have been different. Thanks anyway though. Lots of good pointers..
Ashtreemeadow said:
Thank you everyone. I do agree with the cheap labor part. The other lady who works here got her paycheck cut in half as soon as I started working and before she got this job, she was living in a homeless camp. They pretty much gave me the job on the spot without much of an interview. I do make tips, but I do not believe they are reported. I also don't think I will be getting tax returns from this job either. I was just looking for a little bit more info and advice to help me out when I do actually get to talk to them in 2 weeks when they get back from vacation. I shouldn't have mentioned my age. The response would have been different. Thanks anyway though. Lots of good pointers.
ashtreemeadow ... it DOES matter your age ... to me, anyway. unless you have a child or children or are responsible for someone else, you have more freedom to leave this position as soon as you find a better one. give your notice and then go.
i had children very young and totally understand the feeling of entrapment, as soon as you have to provide for another person, your options are fewer.
you do not have to stay there forever ... if you are willing to relocate. think of this job as a learning experience, temporary. i am working now in two jobs i consider temporary because this will not be my life two years from now. i still stronlgy advise you to seek out something else while you are employed.
please be very careful about taxes. you have not said but i suspect you are being paid under the table since you don't think you will be getting a w2. i still think TIPS estimated are the way these folks are going to justify paying you a low hourly wage.
you know this arrangement could bite you, as madeline said ... because the way around the employer paying worker's comp is to claim you are an independent contractor and have your own insurance. IF anyone finds out you work there. i suspect it's all being done with no taxes taken out, undeclared by anyone. sounds like a deal because you take home all the money ... however small ... but you have no protections either ... no way to claim unemployment if the job goes away because there is no record of your employment, no contribution to social security (although some would say this is a good thing). no way to claim unfair wages are being paid, that you're not getting overtime, etc. because you aren't officially an employee. as soon as you earn $600 , any independent contractor is supposed to be reported on that business' tax return using 1099 misc forms. also, the irs knows darn well when someone is an employee not an independent contractor, especially if they are living on site
okay ... i could go on and on here ... you can tell i don't like it
This is where I'm confused. They had me fill out a w-4, and I always claim 0. So I am not sure why it doesn't say how much is being withheld on my paycheck. My employers have not shown me any proof of deductions for rent either.
Also, as I have been worried to mention, as it did not seem appropriate or relevant, I an actually expecting right now. Yup, I just found I am pregnant. So 5,400 a year is definitely.... Well... Not sufficient if I am trying to save for a bundle of joy.... Stressful situation...
Have you received a first paycheck? There should be some sort of statement with it. NOT just a check with $xx on it. Otherwise you have NO idea what's going on. All of our employees get direct deposit but they also get a statement that says how many hours they worked, at what rate and what taxes were taken out.
They need to show you how much money is being deducted from your pay and what that is going toward.

This is the reason some limit their internet time, when you find forums and groups with people who arrive on the scene all wound up and want complete strangers to be their saviors with innformation. If there are labor laws being violated, go to the authorities. Now is a good time to find out what they are and help yourself with some self determination if you are stuck..
As I have said previously, I have done my research as far as the wage laws in my state pertaining to the inn-keeping business. California wage order 5. I am worried about going to the authorities so soon because I want to have another job lined up before I do so. My managers are already pretty unfriendly with their employees as it is so I would rather not go through with that right away. I do however plan on talking to them, but am unsure of how to negotiate with them on a pay, as it would cause tension mentioning that they aren't abiding by certain laws... I have written down several sections from the wage order that my managers have seemed to ignore.
I took this job because I knew it would be a good experience to learn about desk and office work, hospitality, and general maintenance. I want to be able to move on to a better job after this, but I don't feel like I could find one if I decided to just stop now.
yes, i must admit I was wound up at first. I am young, and I don't really know many people who are in the same type of occupation as me. I have a couple friends who are working at hotels making a lot more money than I am, even with live-in conditions. That is why I came here, to seek words of wisdom from my elders who have been in my same position before. I really do appreciate the advice.

- do I get food? No
- what are my duties? Reservations, check-ins, check-outs, breakfast, room and bathroom cleaning, laundry, dishes, dusting, polishing, phone calls, sweeping, mopping, watering flowers, leaf-blowing, etc.
- are there other people working other than the girl I mentioned? Just us two, neither with experience in this field.
- what experience do I have running a b&b? None, but I have been working since I was 13. I started with babysitting every weekend, then when I turned 16 I began getting restaurant jobs, seasonal jobs, etc. I have also worked in a chiropractic office and lived in Tahoe by myself for 6 months and worked and paid for bills. The other lady that works here doesn't know how to cook really...
I must also say that I do not mind spending so much of my week here, I just think the pay is too low for all I am expected to do. I like the work, but the pay is unsatisfactory. I feel like I am putting in a lot more effort in a half a month to only make $230. If a guest pays for two nights in one of our fancier and bigger rooms, it costs about $230 for them..
Ashtreemeadow said:
I feel like I am putting in a lot more effort in a half a month to only make $230. If a guest pays for two nights in one of our fancier and bigger rooms, it costs about $230 for them.
Yikes! CA/SF area is a very expensive place. I can't imagine what the place is like you work in if the bigger, fancier rooms are only $115 per night. Believe me, if those are the rates, your owners are not raking it in.
My employers notified me and my coworker that it takes 1,000 each month to keep the doors open...
Ashtreemeadow said:
OK, that's none of your concern either as an employee or as someone who is unhappy with the circumstances they find themselves in.
If that is anywhere near true and you and your co worker are being paid $450 of that, essentially they are not providing food for the guests or they're not paying property taxes or they're not paying ANY other bills. (In my experience.)
But, it is still irrelevant to your situation what THEIR bills are. What is relevant is whether or not you are being paid.
BTW, good luck with the new twist to your situation! That's a tough one. This is not easy work to do when you're pregnant. We had a pregnant housekeeper one summer and she really struggled to keep up. She took a month off and then came back to work but it was really hard for her to focus on anything.

Thank you everyone. I do agree with the cheap labor part. The other lady who works here got her paycheck cut in half as soon as I started working and before she got this job, she was living in a homeless camp. They pretty much gave me the job on the spot without much of an interview. I do make tips, but I do not believe they are reported. I also don't think I will be getting tax returns from this job either. I was just looking for a little bit more info and advice to help me out when I do actually get to talk to them in 2 weeks when they get back from vacation. I shouldn't have mentioned my age. The response would have been different. Thanks anyway though. Lots of good pointers..
Ashtreemeadow said:
Thank you everyone. I do agree with the cheap labor part. The other lady who works here got her paycheck cut in half as soon as I started working and before she got this job, she was living in a homeless camp. They pretty much gave me the job on the spot without much of an interview. I do make tips, but I do not believe they are reported. I also don't think I will be getting tax returns from this job either. I was just looking for a little bit more info and advice to help me out when I do actually get to talk to them in 2 weeks when they get back from vacation. I shouldn't have mentioned my age. The response would have been different. Thanks anyway though. Lots of good pointers.
ashtreemeadow ... it DOES matter your age ... to me, anyway. unless you have a child or children or are responsible for someone else, you have more freedom to leave this position as soon as you find a better one. give your notice and then go.
i had children very young and totally understand the feeling of entrapment, as soon as you have to provide for another person, your options are fewer.
you do not have to stay there forever ... if you are willing to relocate. think of this job as a learning experience, temporary. i am working now in two jobs i consider temporary because this will not be my life two years from now. i still stronlgy advise you to seek out something else while you are employed.
please be very careful about taxes. you have not said but i suspect you are being paid under the table since you don't think you will be getting a w2. i still think TIPS estimated are the way these folks are going to justify paying you a low hourly wage.
you know this arrangement could bite you, as madeline said ... because the way around the employer paying worker's comp is to claim you are an independent contractor and have your own insurance. IF anyone finds out you work there. i suspect it's all being done with no taxes taken out, undeclared by anyone. sounds like a deal because you take home all the money ... however small ... but you have no protections either ... no way to claim unemployment if the job goes away because there is no record of your employment, no contribution to social security (although some would say this is a good thing). no way to claim unfair wages are being paid, that you're not getting overtime, etc. because you aren't officially an employee. as soon as you earn $600 , any independent contractor is supposed to be reported on that business' tax return using 1099 misc forms. also, the irs knows darn well when someone is an employee not an independent contractor, especially if they are living on site
This is where I'm confused. They had me fill out a w-4, and I always claim 0. So I am not sure why it doesn't say how much is being withheld on my paycheck. My employers have not shown me any proof of deductions for rent either.
Also, as I have been worried to mention, as it did not seem appropriate or relevant, I an actually expecting right now. Yup, I just found I am pregnant. So 5,400 a year is definitely.... Well... Not sufficient if I am trying to save for a bundle of joy.... Stressful situation...
Have you received a first paycheck? There should be some sort of statement with it. NOT just a check with $xx on it. Otherwise you have NO idea what's going on. All of our employees get direct deposit but they also get a statement that says how many hours they worked, at what rate and what taxes were taken out.
They need to show you how much money is being deducted from your pay and what that is going toward.
Yes, I have received it. So far they have not provided any information on my checks about deductions, except for Social Security and Medicare. In the information I looked up regarding wage laws, it says that even if paid on salary that employers must abide by the minimum wage law of 8 per hr, show deductions for living expenses, and provide a written contract for the employee to sign agreeing that they can take deductions out of their pay for rent. None of this info has been provided to me by my employers. On my pay check it says I worked 1.00 hour and made $230. I am also still confused why state and federal taxes do not apply. Will I owe taxes at the end of the year?

If they are taking SS and Medicare out then they likely are treating you as an employee and not as an Independent Contractor. It's possible that no federal and state income taxes are being withheld because you are just not making enough money; in other words your income falls below the level at which the calculations would require anything be withheld. It may be that they are not showing deductions for rent because if they properly did, then they (and you) would have to include that in your income and they (and you) would have to pay taxes on it (don't forget that the employer pays an equal share of SS and medicare as you do).
Something else to look into, if you really want to make sure that they are not cutting too many other corners, is to check and see if they are carrying worker's compensation insurance.

If they are taking SS and Medicare out then they likely are treating you as an employee and not as an Independent Contractor. It's possible that no federal and state income taxes are being withheld because you are just not making enough money; in other words your income falls below the level at which the calculations would require anything be withheld. It may be that they are not showing deductions for rent because if they properly did, then they (and you) would have to include that in your income and they (and you) would have to pay taxes on it (don't forget that the employer pays an equal share of SS and medicare as you do).
Something else to look into, if you really want to make sure that they are not cutting too many other corners, is to check and see if they are carrying worker's compensation insurance..
Harborfields said:
Something else to look into, if you really want to make sure that they are not cutting too many other corners, is to check and see if they are carrying worker's compensation insurance.
I think Harborfields is right on. Your income is way below what it would take to have to pay income tax (state/fed)

Ashtreemeadow said:
Yes, I have received it. So far they have not provided any information on my checks about deductions, except for Social Security and Medicare. In the information I looked up regarding wage laws, it says that even if paid on salary that employers must abide by the minimum wage law of 8 per hr, show deductions for living expenses, and provide a written contract for the employee to sign agreeing that they can take deductions out of their pay for rent. None of this info has been provided to me by my employers. On my pay check it says I worked 1.00 hour and made $230. I am also still confused why state and federal taxes do not apply. Will I owe taxes at the end of the year?
I would say your employers know their way around the employment laws. OR, they always hire people who no one cares about. People who live on the edge anyway and won't/don't make waves.
I think you made that clear saying your co worker was living in a homeless camp.
You probably should call that employment lawyer guy back again. That's the best place to get the info you need, no matter what you decide to do with it.

When I talked to the employee hotline guy (he's sf-based and also a lawyer so he knows what he's talking about), that was the first question I asked. Am I considered an independent contractor? He said it did not apply to me. I should give him a call again...
Ashtreemeadow said:
When I talked to the employee hotline guy (he's sf-based and also a lawyer so he knows what he's talking about), that was the first question I asked. Am I considered an independent contractor? He said it did not apply to me. I should give him a call again...
CA is very strict with their independent contractor rules. I dealt with them for many years since I was in an industry (not b&b) where there was much abuse. You are definitely NOT an independent contractor. You would need to make a complaint to the state. Even after a complaint, it could take quite some time for anything to happen.
So, you must make your short term plans. What are you prepared to do right now to either make your situation better, or to change jobs? You have 2 days off mid-week. Hit the pavement and get your resume out there. Look for a cheap room to rent with room mates or look on ads that are looking for housemates cheap. Even getting a fast food job and paying cheap rent somewhere would be better. Maybe another b&b is looking for housekeepers. If you found another job in the same industry, you could work your way up to an assistant innkeeper and make the money you deserve.
I guess what I'm saying is they are not holding you captive. YOU ARE. It's a tough situation, but you're the only person who can change your life. Don't be frozen from fear or anger. Get motivated by it.
Come back here on the forum and let us know what you are doing to change your situation. You'll be amazed at how much encouragement you can get here!
GO FOR IT, YOU CAN DO IT!!
Thank you, that is very encouraging!!
I did actually just receive a call for a job opportunity at yet another restaurant as a hostess part time. If I went that direction again, I'd have to find another part time job as well. I am trying to weigh out the pros and cons of each choice.
I hope that the conversation I'm planning on having with my employers goes well! I still have a couple days to figure out how to tell them I am unsatisfied.

Ashtreemeadow said:
When I ask about my pay, should I tell them I am expecting? Or should I wait a while? I'm worried they would fire me.

well i'm confused.
and i'm going to stop because i don't know the owner/employer's side of this.
if you don't anticipate earning enough to have to file a tax return that is one thing, not earning enough to have taxes deducted is another thing, someone just paying you under the table is still another
bear in mind, if you are employed, and your pay is very very low, you can qualify to claim the earned income credit which actually can be a small payout for you at tax time. just saying ....

- do I get food? No
Ashtreemeadow said:
Ashtreemeadow said:
OK, that's none of your concern either as an employee or as someone who is unhappy with the circumstances they find themselves in.
If that is anywhere near true and you and your co worker are being paid $450 of that, essentially they are not providing food for the guests or they're not paying property taxes or they're not paying ANY other bills. (In my experience.)
But, it is still irrelevant to your situation what THEIR bills are. What is relevant is whether or not you are being paid.
BTW, good luck with the new twist to your situation! That's a tough one. This is not easy work to do when you're pregnant. We had a pregnant housekeeper one summer and she really struggled to keep up. She took a month off and then came back to work but it was really hard for her to focus on anything.
I understand they have a lot of expenses to pay. However, they own 4 businesses, so their personal bills are easily covered. Again, not my concern, but it gives you a feel for what kind of employers they are... Distant, and not very respectful to employees.
Since I began working here, I have heard about many other employees they have shuffled through in the last year. Out of the 7, only one was fired. They do not have any sense of discipline when it comes to not talking trash about their employees. Even to guests!!! It is very disheartening.
I have worked at 6 restaurants and 1 chiropractic office and have had to deal with a couple managers that treated their employees badly, but this is an a whole new realm.

well i'm confused.
if you don't anticipate earning enough to have to file a tax return that is one thing, not earning enough to have taxes deducted is another thing, someone just paying you under the table is still another
bear in mind, if you are employed, and your pay is very very low, you can qualify to claim the earned income credit which actually can be a small payout for you at tax time. just saying .....
Thanks, that is helpful.

well i'm confused.
bear in mind, if you are employed, and your pay is very very low, you can qualify to claim the earned income credit which actually can be a small payout for you at tax time. just saying .....
Thanks, that is helpful.
When an employer gives you your W-2 form at year's end, they are required to also give you notice of the Earned Income Tax Credit opportunity. FWIW, here's the link to the IRS home page for the EITC: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/EITC-Home-Page--It%E2%80%99s-easier-than-ever-to-find-out-if-you-qualify-for-EITC

Ashtreemeadow said:
When I ask about my pay, should I tell them I am expecting? Or should I wait a while? I'm worried they would fire me.
Ashtreemeadow said:
I hate to say it but quite a lot of employers, working against federal job discrimination laws, find lots of ways to get pregnant workers to quit.
Do you think you can stay in this job at 9 months' pregnant? Raise a child on the job? Is baby daddy going to support the child or are you on the street without a prayer once the little one comes along?
Lots to think about.

- do I get food? No
Ashtreemeadow said:
Ashtreemeadow said:
I understand they have a lot of expenses to pay. However, they own 4 businesses, so their personal bills are easily covered. Again, not my concern, but it gives you a feel for what kind of employers they are... Distant, and not very respectful to employees.
Since I began working here, I have heard about many other employees they have shuffled through in the last year. Out of the 7, only one was fired. They do not have any sense of discipline when it comes to not talking trash about their employees. Even to guests!!! It is very disheartening.
I have worked at 6 restaurants and 1 chiropractic office and have had to deal with a couple managers that treated their employees badly, but this is an a whole new realm.
Ashtreemeadow said:
It doesn't really give me any idea of what they're like as employers. What gives me an idea is what you are saying about how you are treated.
All of their 4 businesses could be underwater. They could be living on credit cards. None of it matters. You and your situation matter. And you don't have to take into consideration their good/bad business sense to try to work out something that you can live on.
But, I really do think the baby is going to be the deal breaker all around. Obviously, with no real money, you can get medicaid if your state has that program available to you. If you're not on it already, you should find out how to get on it as you need pregnancy care. A local women's clinic can help you. Planned Parenthood as an example. If there is a college nearby there will more than likely be some sort of clinic in the area as well. Most of the time they have info on hand for how to get state health care.

Ashtreemeadow said:
Ashtreemeadow said:
I hate to say it but quite a lot of employers, working against federal job discrimination laws, find lots of ways to get pregnant workers to quit.
Do you think you can stay in this job at 9 months' pregnant? Raise a child on the job? Is baby daddy going to support the child or are you on the street without a prayer once the little one comes along?
Lots to think about.
I feel like I could bear it out until probably about 8 and a half months. Luckily, the father and I have been together 2 years and have seen many trials that have only helped to bring us closer. He is quite a bit older than me and has a lot more financial stability. I would definitely not be able to work here when I have the kid, so I would need to find another job, probably part time so I don't have to be away from him too long. My boyfriend is possibly getting a job through a family member as an electrician starting at $20 an hr, gas paid, overtime and benefits. It is a big company so he would get lots of work. I am happy that there is opportunity on his side of the fence! So that part is all worked out for now.
hopefully something good opens up for me at some point! Just gotta put my nose to the grindstone I guess.

I am about to - for the first time ever - put a topic on ignore.
From all your posts the thing that comes through for me is envy and resentment toward your employers - trying to fins a way to get them in deep doo-doo, and the deeper the better. I am grateful I am not your employer. Then when the poor you does not get laid on thick with suggestions of how to accomplish the deep doo-doo, the ultimate trump card gets played - oh BTW I am preggers. Now it comes out there is a long-time boyfriend who can make a decent living. Great, marry him and work part-time. Oh, and the new employers you are searching for? Is it fair to THEM that you will get hired, trained and then get hit with maternity leave (and it will be difficult to fire you - yes, it really will because a suit of discrimination could and in this case probably would be filed if they did).
Put me down as an old grumpy woman or whatever anyone wants to term me. The vibes I got from the beginning were "poor victim me". And before you say I have no idea what you are dealing with, I did go through a single preggers, making not the greatest money, commuting to a job, paying rent and all associated expenses of life with no help of any kind until after Buzzard was born. It was not easy, but I did it as have millions of others. No one thought of me (including me) as poor thing. I felt sorry for Buzzard because he was stuck with me as a mother. Start using some of that energy you are using to "GET" your current employers (not defending anyone I do not know, not damning them either) to better yourself - reading, taking classes, learning new skills that will bring a GOOD income.

From all your posts the thing that comes through for me is envy and resentment toward your employers - trying to fins a way to get them in deep doo-doo, and the deeper the better. I am grateful I am not your employer. Then when the poor you does not get laid on thick with suggestions of how to accomplish the deep doo-doo, the ultimate trump card gets played - oh BTW I am preggers. Now it comes out there is a long-time boyfriend who can make a decent living. Great, marry him and work part-time. Oh, and the new employers you are searching for? Is it fair to THEM that you will get hired, trained and then get hit with maternity leave (and it will be difficult to fire you - yes, it really will because a suit of discrimination could and in this case probably would be filed if they did).
Put me down as an old grumpy woman or whatever anyone wants to term me. The vibes I got from the beginning were "poor victim me". And before you say I have no idea what you are dealing with, I did go through a single preggers, making not the greatest money, commuting to a job, paying rent and all associated expenses of life with no help of any kind until after Buzzard was born. It was not easy, but I did it as have millions of others. No one thought of me (including me) as poor thing. I felt sorry for Buzzard because he was stuck with me as a mother. Start using some of that energy you are using to "GET" your current employers (not defending anyone I do not know, not damning them either) to better yourself - reading, taking classes, learning new skills that will bring a GOOD income..
Im not trying to make anyone feel sorry for me. I just was looking for some help. I am fresh to the new world and there isn't anyone I could look to in my personal circle who could help me with this situation so I came to a spot where I thought others would offer me good advice. I didn't know i was pregnant when I got this job. And I'm not looking for sympathy from strangers. Rather, just looking for a way to express what predicament I am in, since this job doesn't let me have a social life. Haha.
I am just more upset at the situation I got myself into. It is my own fault, I realize that. And yes, I do have a bit of resentment towards them, not so much because of how they run and manage the place from a far and not even because they don't treat their employees respectfully. I am more concerned about whether or not I am being paid legitimately for my work. I haven't even seen them enough to have a deeply held grudge against them personally. As long as they are able to prove that they are paying within the legal limits, and they are willing to award us with extra pay for doing good work, then I will not be so upset or confused about the situation.

Put me down as an old grumpy woman or whatever anyone wants to term me. The vibes I got from the beginning were "poor victim me". And before you say I have no idea what you are dealing with, I did go through a single preggers, making not the greatest money, commuting to a job, paying rent and all associated expenses of life with no help of any kind until after Buzzard was born. It was not easy, but I did it as have millions of others. No one thought of me (including me) as poor thing. I felt sorry for Buzzard because he was stuck with me as a mother. Start using some of that energy you are using to "GET" your current employers (not defending anyone I do not know, not damning them either) to better yourself - reading, taking classes, learning new skills that will bring a GOOD income..
And if i wanted them in deep doo-doo I would have called the Labor Board already...

Back