TA's latest Mobile App for iPhone Marginalizes B&Bs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone posted your video on the Facebook innkeeper group so it's getting more traction. Appears they got it from a G+ innkeeper group.

Keep the phones ringing! They're now at the point where the mosquito bites are starting to hurt.....
Excellent video. To the point.
I wonder if we can switch our category to hotel?
A local actual hotel is listed under B&B, so why not the other way around?
I checked out TA business listing info and think I found why our local hotel is listed under B&B
You can indicate your property type, hotel, B&B or specialty lodging.
The sticking point for being listed in Hotels is 24 hour front desk, which our local folks don't have.
Here's TA's requirement for hotel:
- A 24-hour front desk*
- Daily housekeeping included in the room rate
- Private bathroom for each unit
- If there is a minimum-stay requirement, it must be no more than 3 nights
* "To qualify as a 24-hour front desk, there must be someone on duty at the desk/reception area 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This person must be awake and available to guests and walk-ins, and capable of answering telephone calls from outside the hotel. Having a manager on-call or offering 24-hour security, concierge or room service does not satisfy this requirement."
Some of us may be meeting those requirements. I can think of several fairly local motels where the office is closed for part of the night. There is a number to call for help however. Motels are listed in the hotels category. I'm thinking of making the switch. TA is very important for us. A lovely guest just left saying that is where she found us. She also said that although she normally doesn't review, in our case she will. We're so close to 100, which in our area, is significant.
Anon Inn said:
I checked out TA business listing info and think I found why our local hotel is listed under B&B
The sticking point for being listed in Hotels is 24 hour front desk, which our local folks don't have.
- A 24-hour front desk*
* "To qualify as a 24-hour front desk, there must be someone on duty at the desk/reception area 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This person must be awake and available to guests and walk-ins, and capable of answering telephone calls from outside the hotel. Having a manager on-call or offering 24-hour security, concierge or room service does not satisfy this requirement."
Some of us may be meeting those requirements. I can think of several fairly local motels where the office is closed for part of the night. There is a number to call for help however. Motels are listed in the hotels category. I'm thinking of making the switch. TA is very important for us. A lovely guest just left saying that is where she found us. She also said that although she normally doesn't review, in our case she will. We're so close to 100, which in our area, is significant.
I think just by having the "Bed & Breakfast" in your name will make you not eligible to be listed as a hotel/motel. I might have a little easier time since "Bed & Breakfast" is not part of my name or listing. I've been thinking about trying to change it with TA for a while now. Maybe now is the right time to test it out.

Keep the phones ringing! They're now at the point where the mosquito bites are starting to hurt.....
- A 24-hour front desk*
Anon Inn said:
- A 24-hour front desk*
I think just by having the "Bed & Breakfast" in your name will make you not eligible to be listed as a hotel/motel. I might have a little easier time since "Bed & Breakfast" is not part of my name or listing. I've been thinking about trying to change it with TA for a while now. Maybe now is the right time to test it out.
I have been trying for months to get a clients site changed from a vacation rental..which she mistakenly set it up as...to a B & B with absolutely no luck. She has called and talked to folks but nothing has changed!

- A 24-hour front desk*
Anon Inn said:
- A 24-hour front desk*
I just made the first change to our description on TA by saying we have 24 hour service. I'm going to let TA accept that change to our description before I'll try changing to hotel/motel

I wondered why my TripConnect Mobile numbers were lower. This may be the reason. Since I only pay when they click, I am not out of $.

Hillbilly, they always seem to claim they 'can't do anything to correct it' What they really mean is they won't.

I wondered why my TripConnect Mobile numbers were lower. This may be the reason. Since I only pay when they click, I am not out of $.

Hillbilly, they always seem to claim they 'can't do anything to correct it' What they really mean is they won't..
Interesting. I'd noticed my TC numbers were lower too, especially going into prime time. Haven't had the time to see if it's in Mobile, but makes sense.

They are telling callers you've renewed your paid listing in spite of what the video says. (I don't have sound on my tablet so I don't know what you said.)

- A 24-hour front desk*
Anon Inn said:
- A 24-hour front desk*
I just made the first change to our description on TA by saying we have 24 hour service. I'm going to let TA accept that change to our description before I'll try changing to hotel/motel
Just spent some quality time editing on the website. It was time to update the Certificate of Excellence date anyway. Whew. Haven't touched the site in a very long time. Good thing the (insert superlative adjective here) web designer gave me good instructions several years ago.

- A 24-hour front desk*
Anon Inn said:
- A 24-hour front desk*
Just did the same. We've had a reception desk since day one.

- A 24-hour front desk*
Anon Inn said:
- A 24-hour front desk*
Just did the same. We've had a reception desk since day one.
In my TA description I added we are a true country inn and are able to provide all meals. I think this may help me in my request to change to being a hotel. We'll see.

They are telling callers you've renewed your paid listing in spite of what the video says. (I don't have sound on my tablet so I don't know what you said.).
Morticia said:
They are telling callers you've renewed your paid listing in spite of what the video says. (I don't have sound on my tablet so I don't know what you said.)
I said "I won't be renewing my listing." Last renewed it in May, so I'm stuck with them until May 2017. But without a change, I won't be renewing it.
Then I got this from my rep today:
Hi, I’m not sure why that is happening. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!
I’m going to submit an internal ticket to get this resolved and also see if I can meet with someone on the mobile team to get an answer.
I’ll circle back ASAP.

Then I got an email from their Support Team with only a header saying "Escalated - User Has Already Contacted Support-Escalated"
So apparently I've escalated something.

They are telling callers you've renewed your paid listing in spite of what the video says. (I don't have sound on my tablet so I don't know what you said.).
Morticia said:
I said "I won't be renewing my listing." Last renewed it in May, so I'm stuck with them until May 2017. But without a change, I won't be renewing it.
Hi, I’m not sure why that is happening. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!
I’m going to submit an internal ticket to get this resolved and also see if I can meet with someone on the mobile team to get an answer.
I’ll circle back ASAP.

Then I got an email from their Support Team with only a header saying "Escalated - User Has Already Contacted Support-Escalated"
PhineasSwann said:
Morticia said:
I’ll circle back ASAP.

Mentioned it because they are trying to negate the video by saying the guy who made it renewed anyway.

I do believe even if they get this fixed I will be negotiating my contract for next year. I might agree to sign up but that I can cancel at anytime I would like without being charged. I can see for the first year. But not after that. If they want me to keep going than somethings will need to change. I would suggest all of you try and do the same thing.

Not to get into an argument with TA, but the next person to get that response can let them know I renewed May 18, and this change occurred July 5.
#FactsAreStubbornThings

Not to get into an argument with TA, but the next person to get that response can let them know I renewed May 18, and this change occurred July 5.
#FactsAreStubbornThings.
PhineasSwann said:
#FactsAreStubbornThings
I'll post that on the other innkeeper page on Facebook so the facts are known.

I do believe even if they get this fixed I will be negotiating my contract for next year. I might agree to sign up but that I can cancel at anytime I would like without being charged. I can see for the first year. But not after that. If they want me to keep going than somethings will need to change. I would suggest all of you try and do the same thing..
Hillbilly said:
I do believe even if they get this fixed I will be negotiating my contract for next year. I might agree to sign up but that I can cancel at anytime I would like without being charged. I can see for the first year. But not after that. If they want me to keep going than somethings will need to change. I would suggest all of you try and do the same thing.
Let us know how that works. I negotiated a non-auto-renew and my contract states explicit that it will auto renew. The people on the phone lie. But I used an expiring credit card.

I always tell my bank once a year that I need a new card, whether I've lost it or not.
A new number forces all the renewal people to come back to me for a new number. In some cases, I give it to them.
wink_smile.gif

I do believe even if they get this fixed I will be negotiating my contract for next year. I might agree to sign up but that I can cancel at anytime I would like without being charged. I can see for the first year. But not after that. If they want me to keep going than somethings will need to change. I would suggest all of you try and do the same thing..
Hillbilly said:
Let us know how that works. I negotiated a non-auto-renew and my contract states explicit that it will auto renew. The people on the phone lie. But I used an expiring credit card.
Morticia said:
The people on the phone lie. But I used an expiring credit card.
I've had that fail me in the past, on things set on auto-renew that I couldn't easily cancel. When the card fails, they just sent it through again with an expiration date 3 years in the future, and it goes through. They don't use the CVV code on the back of the card.
I've even had card numbers change and the autorenew went through using the new number from the same bank. I don't know how they get the new number. Must be some cooperation between the banks and the big merchants. And it's not easy to get a card cancelled.

Hillbilly said:
Morticia said:
I've had that fail me in the past, on things set on auto-renew that I couldn't easily cancel. When the card fails, they just sent it through again with an expiration date 3 years in the future, and it goes through. They don't use the CVV code on the back of the card.
I've even had card numbers change and the autorenew went through using the new number from the same bank. I don't know how they get the new number. Must be some cooperation between the banks and the big merchants. And it's not easy to get a card cancelled.
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Thanks for the info!

Hillbilly said:
You can call your card in as compromised on the Internet... or you can just compromise it yourself on the Internet (and post it on a reply to an Amazon review.... Or just say you fell for a phishing scam and gave them your card number. They will give you a completely new card number.
We sent three different warnings to TA that we weren't renewing. We warned them each time that it was the 2nd and 3rd notice. They didn't process. But since you give them the notice, if they do renew, just dispute it. It will cost them $25 and you just send a copy of the email with date and time showing your best efforts to tell them to NOT renew.

Back