Technical question regarding web Code

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have the answer but I am sure google does.
I know that iframes are pretty big no nos for security purposes now on the web as it is vulnerable. I know many of us used iframes when we wanted to embed our online reservation system and it would not show the httpS..
Joey Bloggs said:
I know that iframes are pretty big no nos for security purposes now on the web as it is vulnerable. I know many of us used iframes when we wanted to embed our online reservation system and it would not show the httpS.
Hi,
I can't find anything on Google about it but then I may be asking the wrong question or it is so obvious no one has asked the question before.
I didn't realise that Iframes were a security issue. Any idea why? In general I don't use Iframes but I just can't think of another way of achieving what I am after. Maybe I will have to come up with another 'cunning plan'.
Why don't you pose the question as what you are trying to achieve/why - whatever to explain what you want it to do. There are some brains here that will probably be able to help if they know what result you are looking for. (I am NOT one of them.)
Good idea.
Here is what I am trying to do:
If you have a look at http://www.bolehill.com/peak-district-cottages_2.php (this is a test site so don't worry about my stats etc). At the bottom right hand side of each Cottage tab is a Rates per week area. What I am planning to do is add a form with a dropdown calendar and length of stay box. This would submit an Ajax request for the result (all the sever side code is already working as I use it on other pages already). Now to do this for a single Tab/cottage is trivial but to do it for 8 seems a bit messy if I just replicate the code 9 times (two pages need this). So my thought was produce the code once, get it working then use an Iframe to display the little form then put the response back on the parent page.
I could use a php call (as is the current 'Rates per week' ) but that would mean writing the html in php which from past experience isn't that easy, if the html has any complexity and needs testing. Its the testing of the code that is the killer to me.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
From a SEO perspective Chris wouldn't you prefer visitors to have to look at more pages for longer rather than give them the quick "how much?" answer then leave? I'd be tempted to just use the "weekly rates from..." then have them go to your full availability calender to see all rates and availability. Just my thoughts.
anniesguesthouse said:
From a SEO perspective Chris wouldn't you prefer visitors to have to look at more pages for longer rather than give them the quick "how much?" answer then leave? I'd be tempted to just use the "weekly rates from..." then have them go to your full availability calender to see all rates and availability. Just my thoughts.
Good point. I had never thought of it that way.
I suppose I design web pages using the concept of "Don't make me Think" (brilliant book if anyone has read it) and therefore the concept of getting someone to go to another page to search is a bit against this concept. Our old web pages gave the user the ability to 'see' availability for each cottage in a monthly calendar view but not prices so this time round I was looking to be able to give the users availability and prices.
Regarding SEO I gave up any attempt at SEO after Panda and Penguin. I just got fed up of Google wagging my tail. I spent hours and hours on it and was relatively successful (Page one for most of our primary keywords) but once Panda and Penguin arrive and with the OTA dominance of search I just couldn't see the justification any longer. The site is now written for users not Google.
Don't make me think also has to include don't make me call, write or otherwise engage with a human while I'm doing my research.
As a guest I do want easy access to prices before I fall in love and realize I cant afford to stay there.
But I have to have the desire to stay there. That's done with engaging photos and your location in an area I want to be. Then I will delve into the calendar with prices.
You could also give a range of prices on the pages with the cottage photos. "See availability calendar for exact rates during your stay."
I don't think any US websites give the rates on the homepage unless that's the only page they have. (2 places in my town do that.) Not that you want to design for us.

I know that iframes are pretty big no nos for security purposes now on the web as it is vulnerable. I know many of us used iframes when we wanted to embed our online reservation system and it would not show the httpS..
Joey Bloggs said:
I know that iframes are pretty big no nos for security purposes now on the web as it is vulnerable. I know many of us used iframes when we wanted to embed our online reservation system and it would not show the httpS.
Hi,
I can't find anything on Google about it but then I may be asking the wrong question or it is so obvious no one has asked the question before.
I didn't realise that Iframes were a security issue. Any idea why? In general I don't use Iframes but I just can't think of another way of achieving what I am after. Maybe I will have to come up with another 'cunning plan'.
Why don't you pose the question as what you are trying to achieve/why - whatever to explain what you want it to do. There are some brains here that will probably be able to help if they know what result you are looking for. (I am NOT one of them.)
Good idea.
If you have a look at http://www.bolehill.com/peak-district-cottages_2.php (this is a test site so don't worry about my stats etc). At the bottom right hand side of each Cottage tab is a Rates per week area. What I am planning to do is add a form with a dropdown calendar and length of stay box. This would submit an Ajax request for the result (all the sever side code is already working as I use it on other pages already). Now to do this for a single Tab/cottage is trivial but to do it for 8 seems a bit messy if I just replicate the code 9 times (two pages need this). So my thought was produce the code once, get it working then use an Iframe to display the little form then put the response back on the parent page.
I could use a php call (as is the current 'Rates per week' ) but that would mean writing the html in php which from past experience isn't that easy, if the html has any complexity and needs testing. Its the testing of the code that is the killer to me.
anniesguesthouse said:
I suppose I design web pages using the concept of "Don't make me Think" (brilliant book if anyone has read it) and therefore the concept of getting someone to go to another page to search is a bit against this concept. Our old web pages gave the user the ability to 'see' availability for each cottage in a monthly calendar view but not prices so this time round I was looking to be able to give the users availability and prices.
Regarding SEO I gave up any attempt at SEO after Panda and Penguin. I just got fed up of Google wagging my tail. I spent hours and hours on it and was relatively successful (Page one for most of our primary keywords) but once Panda and Penguin arrive and with the OTA dominance of search I just couldn't see the justification any longer. The site is now written for users not Google.
Don't make me think also has to include don't make me call, write or otherwise engage with a human while I'm doing my research.
As a guest I do want easy access to prices before I fall in love and realize I cant afford to stay there.
But I have to have the desire to stay there. That's done with engaging photos and your location in an area I want to be. Then I will delve into the calendar with prices.
You could also give a range of prices on the pages with the cottage photos. "See availability calendar for exact rates during your stay."
I don't think any US websites give the rates on the homepage unless that's the only page they have. (2 places in my town do that.) Not that you want to design for us.
Morticia said:
Yes I think it is brilliant design principle and one I always strive towards.
If you are interested the book is called "Don't Make ME Think" by Steve Krug. My copy is way out of date but I notice he has come out with an update. I can't say I have read it cover to cover but I certainly read the first half of the book then dipping in here and there. I found it fascinating. He has done lots of work on how humans 'see' web pages and where you need to put key items etc. It would be interesting to see what he has to say about responsive design. That really has made a mess of things.

Joey Bloggs said:
Hi,
Good idea.
anniesguesthouse said:
Morticia said:
If you are interested the book is called "Don't Make ME Think" by Steve Krug. My copy is way out of date but I notice he has come out with an update. I can't say I have read it cover to cover but I certainly read the first half of the book then dipping in here and there. I found it fascinating. He has done lots of work on how humans 'see' web pages and where you need to put key items etc. It would be interesting to see what he has to say about responsive design. That really has made a mess of things.
swaapc said:
Morticia said:
Thanks for sharing this!
I want to rewrite it as "You can't make me think" for today's society in general. :)
As for the prev comments, remember why people are visiting your website. Don't make them work to find the answer. Provide as many pages as you want, for SEO and more information...that is a good thing. But most people don't read much of it, but some will, and google does! Esp those bold, bullets, headlines, titles, etc.

Joey Bloggs said:
Hi,
Good idea.
anniesguesthouse said:
Morticia said:
Yes. Responsive design reworks the whole site into a single column. You really have to focus your whole design around what it will render as on a phone. While still keeping it inviting for a full screen.
I forget this and put stuff in the right hand column and it disappears to the bottom of the page on a phone.

Joey Bloggs said:
Hi,
Good idea.
anniesguesthouse said:
Morticia said:
Yes. Responsive design reworks the whole site into a single column. You really have to focus your whole design around what it will render as on a phone. While still keeping it inviting for a full screen.
I forget this and put stuff in the right hand column and it disappears to the bottom of the page on a phone.
Morticia said:
I looked at it another way. Why would anyone want to look for Self Catering Accommodation on a Phone? And if they did, did they really want a naff single column? My previous site detected phones and immediately offered either the full web site or a Phone optimised site. This was a second site that could only be seen properly on a small screen ie small pics etc, minimal wording, very easy navigation and would load quickly over a wet piece of string. Over the three years I had that configuration 80%+ chose to see the full site rather than the mobile site (and I assume pinch and scroll). The stats also told me that less than 10% of the views of our website were from phones. I personally hate the single column approach on my phone and am always looking for the 'grown ups view'.
I, therefore, decided I would design for tablets upwards. What the phone size users saw was of minor consequence (well not quite but you get the point). Some 'stuff' I just don't display to phone users. This gave me a far simpler approach to design and also captured 90% of my users. For the phone users I have provided a Toggle at the top of every page to enable them to toggle the site between Phone view and "grown ups view".
Personally I am not a great fan of responsive design (especially for Phones). I think the better (and possibly cheaper) approach is to have a specific site for phone users. What do they actually NEED and give them it. They don't want 100s of pictures and 1000s of words. What they might like (for a self catering establishment ) is easy access to directions, contact details, nearest pub that sort of thing.

Joey Bloggs said:
Hi,
Good idea.
anniesguesthouse said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
And yes, since tomorrow April 21st is being called G**gle Mobile Armageddon Day, a responsive mobile site is a must or your website will instantly become dust in the mobile search results.
Many thanks to EN for goading me into converting. PHEW!

Joey Bloggs said:
Hi,
Good idea.
anniesguesthouse said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
I looked at it another way. Why would anyone want to look for Self Catering Accommodation on a Phone? And if they did, did they really want a naff single column? My previous site detected phones and immediately offered either the full web site or a Phone optimised site. This was a second site that could only be seen properly on a small screen ie small pics etc, minimal wording, very easy navigation and would load quickly over a wet piece of string. Over the three years I had that configuration 80%+ chose to see the full site rather than the mobile site (and I assume pinch and scroll). The stats also told me that less than 10% of the views of our website were from phones. I personally hate the single column approach on my phone and am always looking for the 'grown ups view'.
I, therefore, decided I would design for tablets upwards. What the phone size users saw was of minor consequence (well not quite but you get the point). Some 'stuff' I just don't display to phone users. This gave me a far simpler approach to design and also captured 90% of my users. For the phone users I have provided a Toggle at the top of every page to enable them to toggle the site between Phone view and "grown ups view".
Personally I am not a great fan of responsive design (especially for Phones). I think the better (and possibly cheaper) approach is to have a specific site for phone users. What do they actually NEED and give them it. They don't want 100s of pictures and 1000s of words. What they might like (for a self catering establishment ) is easy access to directions, contact details, nearest pub that sort of thing.
swaapc said:
Personally I am not a great fan of responsive design (especially for Phones).
We are now up to 18% Mobile Searches. Tomorrow's update is supposed to be more devastating than Panda or Penguin if not properly prepared.
http://searchengineland.com/tomorrow-is-mobilegeddon-are-you-ready-for-the-google-mobile-friendly-update-219291

Joey Bloggs said:
Hi,
Good idea.
anniesguesthouse said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
swaapc said:
We are now up to 18% Mobile Searches. Tomorrow's update is supposed to be more devastating than Panda or Penguin if not properly prepared.
http://searchengineland.com/tomorrow-is-mobilegeddon-are-you-ready-for-the-google-mobile-friendly-update-219291
Momma Smurf said:
swaapc said:
I don't see this as a major issue as it only affects Smartphones searches and as that is less than 10% for us I don't really care.
"Q: Will it impact desktop searchers? Will my desktop rankings drop?
A: No, it will only impact mobile searchers and will have no impact on your desktop rankings.
Q: Will it impact tablet searchers?
A: No, this only impacts searches done on mobile smartphone devices, not tablets."
Two things really annoy me about this whole thing: 1) the way consultants have yet again talked up the whole problem and 2) and this is the killer to me. Who appointed Google as the arbitrator of what is good and bad for Mobile users.

Joey Bloggs said:
Hi,
Good idea.
anniesguesthouse said:
Morticia said:
Latest shows more and more are accessing sites with mobile devices that is why a responsive WP site is so required now and...Goo gle is demanding of it starting this week. You can do anything with WP and I mean anything with the right theme and plugins. Don't be stuck in "old school" when there is so much available now. Bootstrap is fine but I don't know anything about it....sorry to say I only do WP these days.
http://w5webdesigns.com/is-your-website-mobile-friendly/

Joey Bloggs said:
Hi,
Good idea.
anniesguesthouse said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
swaapc said:
Momma Smurf said:
swaapc said:
I don't see this as a major issue as it only affects Smartphones searches and as that is less than 10% for us I don't really care.
A: No, it will only impact mobile searchers and will have no impact on your desktop rankings.
A: No, this only impacts searches done on mobile smartphone devices, not tablets."
Two things really annoy me about this whole thing: 1) the way consultants have yet again talked up the whole problem and 2) and this is the killer to me. Who appointed Google as the arbitrator of what is good and bad for Mobile users.
swaapc said:
Who appointed Google as the arbitrator of what is good and bad for Mobile users.
Maybe the Mobile users?
Obviously, Google sees mobile use as a growing trend, and they want to make sure that those using Google are well served with search results that are going to be useful to them on whatever device they happen to be searching from.
(says he who's current website is not very mobile friendly...)

Joey Bloggs said:
Hi,
Good idea.
anniesguesthouse said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
swaapc said:
Momma Smurf said:
swaapc said:
swaapc said:
I hear you, I too really really liked my old html non-responsive site and didn't want to change, but unfortunately the world is changing. It took EN several months to convince me to go to WP.
I just looked at my stats again for mobile usage for the same time period Jan 1 through today:
2014: 10.9% Mobile Searches
2015: 19.8% Mobile Searches
Yikes! Almost Doubled... and this is not our busy tourist season when folks are on the road traveling hunting for places to stay. 2014's 10.9% jumped to 14.6% in the summer. Does this mean 30% Mobile Searches this year during peak season? Anyone in our area who is Not Mobile Friendly is going to be out of luck, because they are simply not going to appear. So yay for us... but woe to those who aren't aware.

Joey Bloggs said:
Hi,
Good idea.
anniesguesthouse said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
swaapc said:
Momma Smurf said:
swaapc said:
swaapc said:
Who appointed Google as the arbitrator of what is good and bad for Mobile users.
Maybe the Mobile users?
Obviously, Google sees mobile use as a growing trend, and they want to make sure that those using Google are well served with search results that are going to be useful to them on whatever device they happen to be searching from.
Harborfields said:
swaapc said:
Maybe the Mobile users?
The current implementations of responsive design I don't think fully meets phone users requirements. All the responsive designs I have seen seem to only 'respond' to width changes. This is a start but what about height and network capacity. They are quite useful parameters for phone users too. My old phone site took these parameters into consideration and was totally focussed on what the phone users NEEDED but Google didn't think it was Mobile friendly. Well sorry Google it was. It was designed to be. It wasn't responsive but it did the job of providing content to Phones well. Now I am not saying that it was a brilliant design. All I am saying is that in my opinion it met MY users requirements. It certainly met phone users requirements better than my new all singing all dancing responsive design which Google likes. The new design will work fine over a wifi network but over a 2G mobile network it hasn't a chance and in Landscape mode it is very poor (the fold is in the wrong place more often than not).
So although I think Google are absolutely correct to provide higher searches for 'mobile friendly' sites I don't think they should be the arbitrator of what is a good mobile site.

Joey Bloggs said:
Hi,
Good idea.
anniesguesthouse said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
swaapc said:
Momma Smurf said:
swaapc said:
swaapc said:
I hear you, I too really really liked my old html non-responsive site and didn't want to change, but unfortunately the world is changing. It took EN several months to convince me to go to WP.
I just looked at my stats again for mobile usage for the same time period Jan 1 through today:
Yikes! Almost Doubled... and this is not our busy tourist season when folks are on the road traveling hunting for places to stay. 2014's 10.9% jumped to 14.6% in the summer. Does this mean 30% Mobile Searches this year during peak season? Anyone in our area who is Not Mobile Friendly is going to be out of luck, because they are simply not going to appear. So yay for us... but woe to those who aren't aware.
Momma Smurf said:
Don't forget at 20% that still leaves 80% of users not on Phones. I have to admit if our figures get up to 20% I will start taking more notice (we are still below 10% - don't forget we are Self Catering). We have a responsive site that is as good or as bad as most responsive phone sites but it could be a lot better if I put time into it. I think I would have to approach it from another angle though (ie possibly not responsive). I would need to figure a way of detecting network capacity and serve images appropriately and of convincing Google that it was 'Mobile friendly'.
WP is fine. I have built a number of small web sites using it but it does have some major limitations. Yes you can do most things if you write your own themes and Plugins but even they have limitations within the Wordpress environment. A Framework approach releases you from most of these constraints (it does add others but you don't have to be fully compliant with the framework
regular_smile.gif
).

Joey Bloggs said:
Hi,
Good idea.
anniesguesthouse said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
swaapc said:
Momma Smurf said:
swaapc said:
swaapc said:
Momma Smurf said:
Don't forget at 20% that still leaves 80% of users not on Phones. I have to admit if our figures get up to 20% I will start taking more notice (we are still below 10% - don't forget we are Self Catering). We have a responsive site that is as good or as bad as most responsive phone sites but it could be a lot better if I put time into it. I think I would have to approach it from another angle though (ie possibly not responsive). I would need to figure a way of detecting network capacity and serve images appropriately and of convincing Google that it was 'Mobile friendly'.
WP is fine. I have built a number of small web sites using it but it does have some major limitations. Yes you can do most things if you write your own themes and Plugins but even they have limitations within the Wordpress environment. A Framework approach releases you from most of these constraints (it does add others but you don't have to be fully compliant with the framework
regular_smile.gif
).
I have no limitations with WP. I don't write the theme nor do I write plugins. But I do Custom Css to get things to look just the way I want them.

Joey Bloggs said:
Hi,
Good idea.
anniesguesthouse said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
A agree with you for self-catering Chris because that's not the sort of thing you book on a whim/same-day.

Our responsive (Bootstrap) site is still a work in progress but should be done in the next 7-10 days. I await tomorrow's "mobilegeddon" with interest as at the moment, with a non-responsively designed site we are #1 in the organics with four site links when searched for on a mobile.

Joey Bloggs said:
Hi,
Good idea.
anniesguesthouse said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
swaapc said:
Momma Smurf said:
swaapc said:
swaapc said:
Momma Smurf said:
regular_smile.gif
).
I have no limitations with WP. I don't write the theme nor do I write plugins. But I do Custom Css to get things to look just the way I want them.
Our blog is WP and I really like it's functionality but we went with Bootstrap for the responsive redesign of our site, mainly because of it's grid layout.

Joey Bloggs said:
Hi,
Good idea.
anniesguesthouse said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
swaapc said:
Momma Smurf said:
swaapc said:
swaapc said:
Momma Smurf said:
regular_smile.gif
).
EmptyNest said:
If it works for you that's great. For me it just wouldn't let me do what I wanted without a lot of work. Is it possible to give me your web site address so I can have a look - I am curious.
Have a look at this wordpress-fans-beware-main-disadvantages-of-using-wordpress - It has a large number of points, a lot of which I personally think are advantages rather than disadvantages but all the same it is interesting. Some of the comments are also interesting. They range from 'what a load of rubbish the article is' to 'Yes fully agree.'
Basically I think the conclusion is - a brilliant piece of code but not for everyone.
Certainly from the work I did, I would say Concrete5 is better solution for a web site if you really must go down the CMS route.

Joey Bloggs said:
Hi,
Good idea.
anniesguesthouse said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
A agree with you for self-catering Chris because that's not the sort of thing you book on a whim/same-day.

Our responsive (Bootstrap) site is still a work in progress but should be done in the next 7-10 days. I await tomorrow's "mobilegeddon" with interest as at the moment, with a non-responsively designed site we are #1 in the organics with four site links when searched for on a mobile.
anniesguesthouse said:

Annie,
Have you got Httpwatch loaded yet? It is brilliant in identifying load problems and performance.

Joey Bloggs said:
Hi,
Good idea.
anniesguesthouse said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:

anniesguesthouse said:

Annie,
Have you got Httpwatch loaded yet? It is brilliant in identifying load problems and performance.
I'll get there Chris. Still on the layout/design of things at the moment. I managed to get my hands on a 7" tablet, 11" tablet and my Samsung S5 so I've been looking at v2.0 (so far) on those simultaneously and ironing out a few creases by trial and error tweaks of the css. 90% done on that front. Then it's just the job of migrating the rest of the page's text onto the template pages of v2.0. The hard work is done now I think. The http watch/load problems will be the polish at the end I think.

Joey Bloggs said:
Hi,
Good idea.
anniesguesthouse said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
swaapc said:
Momma Smurf said:
swaapc said:
swaapc said:
Momma Smurf said:
regular_smile.gif
).
EmptyNest said:
If it works for you that's great. For me it just wouldn't let me do what I wanted without a lot of work. Is it possible to give me your web site address so I can have a look - I am curious.
Have a look at this wordpress-fans-beware-main-disadvantages-of-using-wordpress - It has a large number of points, a lot of which I personally think are advantages rather than disadvantages but all the same it is interesting. Some of the comments are also interesting. They range from 'what a load of rubbish the article is' to 'Yes fully agree.'
Basically I think the conclusion is - a brilliant piece of code but not for everyone.
Certainly from the work I did, I would say Concrete5 is better solution for a web site if you really must go down the CMS route.
I have done over 100 websites...so to give you one...that would be tough. Here's one: http://sharprockvineyards.com Don't know what he has done with it since I finished it. I provide training so they can maintain themselves. This was done with the ENFOLD theme. another innmate here just had his redone with me helping him. I will let him post the url if he wishes.

Back