Tesla Destination Charging

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and
Meter is $90 so an investment. Check meter before the hookup – then they provide the number after disco. Can be connected to the computer as well as this one.
Joey Bloggs said:
and
Meter is $90 so an investment. Check meter before the hookup – then they provide the number after disco. Can be connected to the computer as well as this one
So this setup lets you know how much electricity they used, and you can charge them for it. Cool. Charging a fully depleted Tesla would cost about $4.
I'll bet in a lot of cases you'd be money ahead by giving them the electricity free and charging for the sodas and cookies they consume! ;-)
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
and
Meter is $90 so an investment. Check meter before the hookup – then they provide the number after disco. Can be connected to the computer as well as this one
So this setup lets you know how much electricity they used, and you can charge them for it. Cool. Charging a fully depleted Tesla would cost about $4.
I'll bet in a lot of cases you'd be money ahead by giving them the electricity free and charging for the sodas and cookies they consume! ;-)
from what everyone has shared the electricity has to be offered free to be on the directory. But having it separate to see how much is being used it what would be good to track.

and
Meter is $90 so an investment. Check meter before the hookup – then they provide the number after disco. Can be connected to the computer as well as this one.
Joey Bloggs said:
and
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
and
a person ruining one hand towel costs more than that!

and
Joey Bloggs said:
and
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
and
from what everyone has shared the electricity has to be offered free to be on the directory. But having it separate to see how much is being used it what would be good to track.
We can specify free to registered guests - we are permitted to charge a modest fee for being a "booster station" if Arks just wants to stop by and top off to get him up to Triadelphia or Cranberry Township for the supercharge.

and
Joey Bloggs said:
and
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
and
We can specify free to registered guests - we are permitted to charge a modest fee for being a "booster station" if Arks just wants to stop by and top off to get him up to Triadelphia or Cranberry Township for the supercharge.
gillumhouse said:
Yes I understand. It is ONLY for guests here. No one else, if we do it. That is why I stated the security factor.

I've contacted them 3 times in the past month and NO response! This is getting frustrating..
This may be why. There are a lot of them in your area already -
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Electric+var+charging+stations+near+Lancaster%2C+PA
Yes I see the Cottage of the King already has a Tesla high power wall charger available there (that's the type charger they're giving free to many inns). So I'd guess they don't see the area as one that qualifies for a free one.
Arks said:
Yes I see the Cottage of the King already has a Tesla high power wall charger available there (that's the type charger they're giving free to many inns). So I'd guess they don't see the area as one that qualifies for a free one.
Yes, I was offered it for free and installation/electric paid for by Tesla. Now to find the right spot for it
Iris said:
Yes, I was offered it for free and installation/electric paid for by Tesla.
Grrr. Not 2 weeks ago Tesla specifically told me they do not pay for installation, and certainly do not pay for electric (meaning they don't pay the charger's ongoing electric bills).
Arks said:
Iris said:
Grrr. Not 2 weeks ago Tesla specifically told me they do not pay for installation, and certainly do not pay for electric (meaning they don't pay the charger's ongoing electric bills).
What Tesla is Offering:
- Free Equipment:
o Tesla is happy to provide as many free Tesla Connectors (“charging stations”) as you would like to host. These are Tesla-specific stations and are the best, quickest way to charge Tesla vehicles at your business.
o We can also provide 1 universal connector for each 2 Tesla Connectors installed at a property. While having the advantage of charging all electric vehicles, Tesla does not make these stations and they are roughly 2x slower at charging Tesla vehicles than the Tesla Wall Connector.
o A normal installation would consist of 2 Tesla Connectors and the optional Universal Connector. We are happy to support a larger installation if you are interested in that.
- Subsidy:
o Tesla will provide up to $1,500 per connector toward the cost of installation. In most cases, this will cover 100% of the up-front costs to install the equipment. If you install the 3 connectors, as above, that would be a total subsidy of up to $4,500 from Tesla.
- Publicity:
o We are actively directing our owners to our partner locations through our Find Us page and on the 17" Touchscreen and Navigation in every vehicle.

What the Host Property Contributes:

- Access to the connectors for your patrons as a free or low-cost amenity
- Ongoing electricity costs (about $1.00 for each hour of active charging).
Regarding the exchange below, I spoke with Ben at Tesla today and he explained that they consider on a case-by-case basis what they can offer in the way of charging equipment and installation costs. He said I don't currently have enough rooms to qualify for more free chargers or payment of installation costs. He said places with more rooms have more need for multiple chargers, and they are more likely to get them. He even recalled that I'm in the process of adding 3 more suites to my inn, and said he'd be happy to revisit things when I get more rooms.
I was very pleased with his explanation and impressed that he knew my own situation so well. They are an impressive outfit! It's like they are real people!
Iris said:
Arks said:
Iris said:
What Tesla is Offering:
- Free Equipment:
o Tesla is happy to provide as many free Tesla Connectors (“charging stations”) as you would like to host. These are Tesla-specific stations and are the best, quickest way to charge Tesla vehicles at your business.
o We can also provide 1 universal connector for each 2 Tesla Connectors installed at a property. While having the advantage of charging all electric vehicles, Tesla does not make these stations and they are roughly 2x slower at charging Tesla vehicles than the Tesla Wall Connector.
o A normal installation would consist of 2 Tesla Connectors and the optional Universal Connector. We are happy to support a larger installation if you are interested in that.
- Subsidy:
o Tesla will provide up to $1,500 per connector toward the cost of installation. In most cases, this will cover 100% of the up-front costs to install the equipment. If you install the 3 connectors, as above, that would be a total subsidy of up to $4,500 from Tesla.
- Publicity:
o We are actively directing our owners to our partner locations through our Find Us page and on the 17" Touchscreen and Navigation in every vehicle.

I've contacted them 3 times in the past month and NO response! This is getting frustrating..
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Electric+var+charging+stations+near+Lancaster%2C+PA
Arks said:
Yes, I was offered it for free and installation/electric paid for by Tesla. Now to find the right spot for it
Iris said:
Arks said:
Iris said:
What Tesla is Offering:
- Free Equipment:
- Subsidy:
- Publicity:

Regarding the exchange below, I spoke with Ben at Tesla today and he explained that they consider on a case-by-case basis what they can offer in the way of charging equipment and installation costs. He said I don't currently have enough rooms to qualify for more free chargers or payment of installation costs. He said places with more rooms have more need for multiple chargers, and they are more likely to get them. He even recalled that I'm in the process of adding 3 more suites to my inn, and said he'd be happy to revisit things when I get more rooms.
I was very pleased with his explanation and impressed that he knew my own situation so well. They are an impressive outfit! It's like they are real people!
Iris said:
Arks said:
Iris said:
What Tesla is Offering:
- Free Equipment:
- Subsidy:
- Publicity:

After you had written about the NOT paying for yours, I did not want to tell you they were paying for mine - at least not until it was a done deal. Now I wait for the building permit to be approved - the chargers will probably get here first.

Arks said:
Iris said:
Arks said:
Iris said:
What Tesla is Offering:
- Free Equipment:
- Subsidy:
- Publicity:

Iris said:
Arks said:
Iris said:
What Tesla is Offering:
- Free Equipment:
- Subsidy:
- Publicity:

Good customer service

Arks said:
Iris said:
Arks said:
Iris said:
What Tesla is Offering:
- Free Equipment:
- Subsidy:
- Publicity:

Iris said:
Arks said:
Iris said:
What Tesla is Offering:
- Free Equipment:
- Subsidy:
- Publicity:

Well no matter who pays for it, it won't be cheap and very intensive to install, especially with these old houses. If you have heat pumps for a/c you may need to look at the spec's and be careful about the install. I am sharing this for those who are trusting an electrician to know what he/she is doing, don't just hand it over to them.
This is what DH sent him last night after we were out there measuring it up and then working out the bits and pieces and cost
(Sharing as a courtesy to my innmates. The $35x8 hours is conservative considering he already spent a few hours working all of this out):
– I have looked into what it will take to install the 100A service and it is going to prove to be quite an undertaking based on the existing loads that we have at the B&B. As it stands we are looking at about a 175’ distance from the main panel to the tesla connector which is going to require a considerable amount of work and expense that I do not believe the $1500 would adequately cover.
Our option that I feel would allow us to move forward rather quickly is to run the tesla connector off of a 100A sub panel that we have closer to where the tesla connector would be installed and sourced from a “50A” branch circuit. This we can adequately handle by ourselves, and would not require an electrician…
As it stands I have calculated out the necessary parts which includes an Omnimeter ($324) in order to gauge kwh consumption (not sure if this would be covered by tesla) and the necessary hours for the install $35x8 hours (fairly conservative).
DH added to me: 1 100A circuit requires some real thought
it is half of your load if you only had a 200A service
and it will use 80Amps. we can @ 50@ which will be 40A

In my case, they're putting in a new, dedicated electric meter and breaker at my inn, just for the chargers. The new service will be just a few feet from where I'll install the chargers.
At home I did my own installation. A few years ago we had taken a lot of the house's circuits and switched them to a new breaker box connected to our standby generator. So the 200 amp main breaker box had plenty of capacity for me to install a new 100 amp breaker to serve the car charger.
From the new breaker, through a 1" conduit, I ran to the charger two Size 3 wires from that 100 amp breaker, and a size 4 wire from the breaker box ground strip. It's kind of hard to work with wires that big and stiff, but otherwise the installation was pretty simple.
  1. Snap the new 100 amp breaker into the breaker box.
  2. Hang the charger where you plan to charge cars.
  3. Connect the 3 wires to the 3 lugs designated on the charger.
  4. Run the wires to the breaker box and connect them to the new breaker and the ground strip.
  5. Flip the breaker on.
  6. Open a cold beer and enjoy it.

Arks said:
Iris said:
Arks said:
Iris said:
What Tesla is Offering:
- Free Equipment:
- Subsidy:
- Publicity:

Iris said:
Arks said:
Iris said:
What Tesla is Offering:
- Free Equipment:
- Subsidy:
- Publicity:

Well no matter who pays for it, it won't be cheap and very intensive to install, especially with these old houses. If you have heat pumps for a/c you may need to look at the spec's and be careful about the install. I am sharing this for those who are trusting an electrician to know what he/she is doing, don't just hand it over to them.
This is what DH sent him last night after we were out there measuring it up and then working out the bits and pieces and cost
(Sharing as a courtesy to my innmates. The $35x8 hours is conservative considering he already spent a few hours working all of this out):
– I have looked into what it will take to install the 100A service and it is going to prove to be quite an undertaking based on the existing loads that we have at the B&B. As it stands we are looking at about a 175’ distance from the main panel to the tesla connector which is going to require a considerable amount of work and expense that I do not believe the $1500 would adequately cover.
Our option that I feel would allow us to move forward rather quickly is to run the tesla connector off of a 100A sub panel that we have closer to where the tesla connector would be installed and sourced from a “50A” branch circuit. This we can adequately handle by ourselves, and would not require an electrician…
As it stands I have calculated out the necessary parts which includes an Omnimeter ($324) in order to gauge kwh consumption (not sure if this would be covered by tesla) and the necessary hours for the install $35x8 hours (fairly conservative).
That is the hang-up with my building permit. The building inspector is requiring a load assessment of our 200 amp service.

Arks said:
Iris said:
Arks said:
Iris said:
What Tesla is Offering:
- Free Equipment:
- Subsidy:
- Publicity:

Iris said:
Arks said:
Iris said:
What Tesla is Offering:
- Free Equipment:
- Subsidy:
- Publicity:

thank you for that, JB.
Very helpful and thoughtful of you

and
Joey Bloggs said:
and
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
and
gillumhouse said:
Yes I understand. It is ONLY for guests here. No one else, if we do it. That is why I stated the security factor.
Mine is going in next to the house by the kitchen door. Our car will be moved to the street for guests to use the charger.
Still waiting for the building permit but look what was delivered today. Not going to jinx me by opening it - going to let the electrician do that.
Tesla-gillumhouse.jpg

An 80 Amp charger is ideal (has to go on a 100 amp circuit breaker). Some of the SR properties listed on the Tesla Destination Charger program have listed less than 80 Amps. My personal charger is 50 Amps from the circuit breaker and 40 amps to the car. For the B&B experience most Tesla owners would find something between 50-100 amp circuits to be acceptable for overnight charging if you can't get a whole 100 amps to spare, consult with Tesla about what you can offer.

This is only the beginning. Electric cars are here to stay, and there are more of them every day. The technology will only get better. In 10 years a lot of people will think of gasoline motors the way we think of steam engines today.

This is only the beginning. Electric cars are here to stay, and there are more of them every day. The technology will only get better. In 10 years a lot of people will think of gasoline motors the way we think of steam engines today..
The rest of the stuff arrived today. All I need now is a BUILDING PERMIT as I told the electrician in an e-mail today. HE has to do the load assessment.

This is only the beginning. Electric cars are here to stay, and there are more of them every day. The technology will only get better. In 10 years a lot of people will think of gasoline motors the way we think of steam engines today..
Actually, electric are likely to disappear. They sell very poorly, such as the leaf and volt.
Fuel cells and hydrogen and biofuels etc are more likely
A recent article said Tesla's new $5 billion battery factory might quickly become obsolete if aluminum ion batteries work out.

Actually, electric are likely to disappear. They sell very poorly, such as the leaf and volt.
A recent article said Tesla's new $5 billion battery factory might quickly become obsolete if aluminum ion batteries work out.
undersea said:
Actually, electric are likely to disappear. They sell very poorly, such as the leaf and volt. Fuel cells and hydrogen and biofuels etc are more likely A recent article said Tesla's new $5 billion battery factory might quickly become obsolete if aluminum ion batteries work out.
And you mean like the disposal of said batteries, not being environmentally friendly. Like the CFL bulbs we were forced to convert to. One thing I do know, is that nothing stays the same, and we are always moving ahead to the next best thing. And really, in such a short time.

Dumb question: The Tesla charger is OK to install outside?
Doesn't say in instructions and interestingly, Elon didn't bother with UL, so there is no "approved for wet locations" sticker.

Have you seen many hydrogen cars?
My views are a little too political for here, but the sooner we get off of fossil fuels, the sooner this world becomes a lot more peaceful. The money we spend on fossil fuels just ends up in the wrong hands.
I'll say the same thing for water. Water is too cheap in places where it shouldn't be. It's like a toll, no mater what the price, the rich will just pay it, but if you outlaw it, they will just find a way around that. So you might as well just charge more. Set the price for the normally needed quantity for a family and then excess water for personal use... then put a price so high that only the rich will buy excess and let them damn well pay to build the factories to reuse, clean and desalinate.... One country in the world reuses over 90% of their waste water for agriculture. In North America, it's under 1%. We damn well need to do better for our children's sake.

Back