Tesla Destination Charging

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dumb question: The Tesla charger is OK to install outside?
Doesn't say in instructions and interestingly, Elon didn't bother with UL, so there is no "approved for wet locations" sticker..
Yes, they are set up outside - I have 2 boxes on my porch as I speak with the stands for the chargers.They do come with instructions to NOT use when raining. They sent me some photos of how other inns installed them. One had a lovely brick wall they were set into. Mine will be in the yard next to the house just a couple feet from the driveway.

Kathleen and others, I have asked about charging in the rain on the Tesla owners' forum. It can be done, has been done, and no one has documented problems charging in the rain. Would have more reservations in a thunder storm, but even then it has been done. So, use your judgement. If it's the kind of rain that will be going on for hours I'd probably be willing to plug Tessie in. I'm not sure I'd want to go out in the middle of a thunder storm to plug her in. Would probably use the guest/owner's discretion, and let them read your instruction book.

10 kW
Tesla%203%20DSC01479.jpg

Now all I need are some Teslas to charge!

Kathleen and others, I have asked about charging in the rain on the Tesla owners' forum. It can be done, has been done, and no one has documented problems charging in the rain. Would have more reservations in a thunder storm, but even then it has been done. So, use your judgement. If it's the kind of rain that will be going on for hours I'd probably be willing to plug Tessie in. I'm not sure I'd want to go out in the middle of a thunder storm to plug her in. Would probably use the guest/owner's discretion, and let them read your instruction book..
My guess from reading the manual (between the lines) is that very wet conditions could result in a ground fault. That would interrupt charging for 15 minutes, and then it would retry. I doubt it would be a hazard to the operator.

10 kW
Tesla%203%20DSC01479.jpg

Now all I need are some Teslas to charge!.
Huh? Nothing on your website about it. Need to get the word out to your guests! Or is this just for Arks?!?!?
wink_smile.gif

By the way, Congratulations!

Kathleen and others, I have asked about charging in the rain on the Tesla owners' forum. It can be done, has been done, and no one has documented problems charging in the rain. Would have more reservations in a thunder storm, but even then it has been done. So, use your judgement. If it's the kind of rain that will be going on for hours I'd probably be willing to plug Tessie in. I'm not sure I'd want to go out in the middle of a thunder storm to plug her in. Would probably use the guest/owner's discretion, and let them read your instruction book..
Thank you, Innkeep. Finally got the load assessment. Now waiting for the permit. Contractor told me installation will be next week. One it is done - you will be hearing me shouting whoopee all the way to the UK. It will be posted everywhere and my PR guy already has publicity lined up.

med_high-power-wall-connector2_1024x1024.jpg

Tom, You'll save wear and tear if you plug the business end of the charger into the little space for it on the cable holder.
Wish I was a little closer, but I'll put your part of the country on my bucket list.

10 kW
Tesla%203%20DSC01479.jpg

Huh? Nothing on your website about it. Need to get the word out to your guests! Or is this just for Arks?!?!?
wink_smile.gif

Duff2014 said:
Or is this just for Arks?!?!?
wink_smile.gif
Arks is impressed! And happy for you! My own inn chargers are still in the boxes :-( The electrician is busy installing light fixtures in my 3 new suites, so the chargers have to wait a while.
And yes, you can latch the charger tip into the cradle just like you're plugging it into the car. Helps keep the contacts clean.
In addition to your website, be sure to send the photo to Tesla and submit the form so they will list you on their Destination Chargers page, and make your presence known to the navigation system of every Tesla car in the world!

Tom, You'll save wear and tear if you plug the business end of the charger into the little space for it on the cable holder.
Wish I was a little closer, but I'll put your part of the country on my bucket list..
OK, how about this? Cable correctly stowed.
Tesla%20a2%20DSC01481.jpg

I took the photo in the late evening so I could get the green light to show and used a little LED flashlight to pick out the Tesla logo in the reflection on the stainless steel case.

Wish I was a little closer, but I'll put your part of the country on my bucket list..

I took the photo in the late evening so I could get the green light to show and used a little LED flashlight to pick out the Tesla logo in the reflection on the stainless steel case.
congrats to you, Tom.
I have not been able to reach Ben at Tesla for the last 2 days. Not even an " I am out of the office..." email reply. Getting a lil' bit worried
sad_smile.gif

10 kW
Tesla%203%20DSC01479.jpg

wink_smile.gif

Duff2014 said:
Huh? Nothing on your website about it.
I like your update!
About the photo. Trim it so you can't see that it is outside.... Don't need anyone trying to show up late at night to sleep in their car!
wink_smile.gif
You never know what cheapskates will try if given the chance. Just my two cents.

10 kW
Tesla%203%20DSC01479.jpg

wink_smile.gif

Duff2014 said:
I like your update!
About the photo. Trim it so you can't see that it is outside.... Don't need anyone trying to show up late at night to sleep in their car!
wink_smile.gif
You never know what cheapskates will try if given the chance. Just my two cents.
I will not have that problem. My car is in the driveway unless it has given way to a Tesla, a Hybrid, or a motorcycle.

10 kW
Tesla%203%20DSC01479.jpg

wink_smile.gif

Duff2014 said:
I like your update!
wink_smile.gif
I will not have that problem. My car is in the driveway unless it has given way to a Tesla, a Hybrid, or a motorcycle.
Good! I'm glad. Our place sometimes feel like a park....

congrats to you, Tom.
I have not been able to reach Ben at Tesla for the last 2 days. Not even an " I am out of the office..." email reply. Getting a lil' bit worried
sad_smile.gif

Same here, no update, no response. Then a big box showed up FedEx ground.

10 kW
Tesla%203%20DSC01479.jpg

wink_smile.gif

Duff2014 said:
I like your update!
wink_smile.gif
Breaker is inside; charger is off until I turn it on. We are off the road, not likely someone would think they can poach the juice, but thanks for the suggestion.

10 kW
Tesla%203%20DSC01479.jpg

wink_smile.gif

Duff2014 said:
I like your update!
wink_smile.gif
Breaker is inside; charger is off until I turn it on. We are off the road, not likely someone would think they can poach the juice, but thanks for the suggestion.
Great! It would be fun to watch someone try to get a free charge! Also nice to know since we are thinking of getting one ourselves. We talked about the chances of someone trying to charge their car without us knowing if it was located outside since we would advertise it on our site and Tesla's.

10 kW
Tesla%203%20DSC01479.jpg

wink_smile.gif

Duff2014 said:
I like your update!
wink_smile.gif
Great! It would be fun to watch someone try to get a free charge! Also nice to know since we are thinking of getting one ourselves. We talked about the chances of someone trying to charge their car without us knowing if it was located outside since we would advertise it on our site and Tesla's.
Duff2014 said:
We talked about the chances of someone trying to charge their car without us knowing if it was located outside since we would advertise it on our site and Tesla's.
Yes, as Tom mentioned, all you'd have to do is keep the breaker turned off inside, and flip it on when a guest wants a charge, then back off afterward.

I'm currently planning to post mine as for guests only, but not police it. If somebody gets a free charge occasionally, I won't worry about it. It's less than $4 and I figure it might spur somebody to stay with me another time in exchange for the help the charger gave them.

Back