That's Why I Wouldn't Want to be 5 star

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Highlands John said:
"This is why I wouldn't want to be 5 star"
We did just have a challenge and had some similar conversations. Perhaps a little more centered around how the dynamics changed with and without. Once we identified it, we went with a firmer tone that reestablished what we are and what we offer. The request for an odd item with the idea that we should have it was met with a clear no. The request for an option we don't include in the rate was met with a price, ala JS. While it wasn't going to make them our perfect guest, it lessened our personal burden.
On the quote, I do think that you will find this entitled person up and down the scale. Thankfully, this gal will be the exception and not the rule.

Highlands John said:
"This is why I wouldn't want to be 5 star"
We did just have a challenge and had some similar conversations. Perhaps a little more centered around how the dynamics changed with and without. Once we identified it, we went with a firmer tone that reestablished what we are and what we offer. The request for an odd item with the idea that we should have it was met with a clear no. The request for an option we don't include in the rate was met with a price, ala JS. While it wasn't going to make them our perfect guest, it lessened our personal burden.
On the quote, I do think that you will find this entitled person up and down the scale. Thankfully, this gal will be the exception and not the rule..
I have to practice this year on my response. What gets me more than a single request for something we don't have/don't do are multiple, rapid fire requests for things we don't have followed by the condescending look of 'you've failed'.
Had a guests last year who said, "this would have been the best place I ever stayed except for (the thing we don't do)." We never said that one thing was an option here.
For some it's cooking their breakfast a certain way. For others it's the lack of options in the choice of milk products. Others require a specific kind of hot sauce. (I am not joking.)
I'll bet the actual solution to my reaction to these situations is to take better care of myself on a daily basis.
I do, also, come back with a price tag on things we can do but which push limits, like late check outs.

The most accurate thing I think about in times like these is that people don't actually know what to expect.
We say that here on the forum often, for some a simple home-cooked meal seems gourmet, to others they feel put down by something so simple. It is always in their perception, and folks, that will never change. Within one couple you have two different perceptions, and it all goes back from years and years of experiences.
For every innkeeper who tells guests they can check in at 10am, the next innkeeper is a baddie because they won't allow it. For every innkeeper who peels their blueberries, the next is a baddie who won't bend to every whim and fancy.
(I wish that comment was not from a real guest and I just made it up, but as we said on, a guest expected them peeled...we know, makes no sense whatsover)
Always be your best, seasoned with grace and it will be alright.

I think I differ on this issue. There is a lot of posts here, complaining about what the PITAs do. Dietary needs, what are they thinking, can you believe the nerve...
Guests do not see what is in our heads, but they can read the annoyance.
Innkeeping is about service. If someone is stealing, seriously disruptive, damaging, hurting others, taking serious advantage of you ==> there is certainly call to defend ourselves (nicely).
There is a constant attempt by businesses to "exceed expectations." If it costs you little, it seems better to welcome them to sit for awhile. A few hours before, they were welcome guests - free to roam the building. Then the checkout clock dings, and they are pests? Sounds like a hotel.
Going the extra mile may get that extra referral, return visit, happy online review. Annoying someone may get the opposite.
Studies show that for a positive experience, a customer will tell on average 0.7 others. For a negative experience, they will tell 7.0 others (10x as much)..
Undersea, I went the extra mile when I was an owner/innkeeper. My new startup B&B became #1 on Trip Ad for our city above other long established properties because I tried to provide exceptional and unexpected service.
Having said that... There are always guests who try to push the envelope. And, when you live in your business and are there 24/7, and especially if you are the one who is doing the bulk of the work (for whatever reason), there are times when you just can not be that flexible or go the extra mile. Not because you don't want to, not because you perceive these folks as "pests", but because it is simply not possible since you have other guests or constraints on your precious time to consider. Having someone sit for hours in your common areas can seriously impact getting that area ready for the next round of check-ins. Your in-house guests are out for the day and you have to clean that area every single day in a small window of time. Maybe your housekeeper didn't show up? It all falls to you unexpectedly. There are just so many variables.
I do agree that compromise is key - I have let guests store their luggage in my locked office after check-out. I have held wedding rental clothes for the company to pick up here after the newlyweds have gone off to their honeymoon. I have allowed guests to linger briefly while waiting for a ride after check-out times. All of these services cut into that precious window of time between check-out and check-in. And, what usually suffered was any down time for this innkeeper. Unless you have plenty of staff, this is very common.
This forum is a safe place to blow off steam when we might feel most stressed out and missing what little break time might be available to us after being on 24/7. I'll be interested to hear your stories when the day comes that you're officially in this business!

I think I differ on this issue. There is a lot of posts here, complaining about what the PITAs do. Dietary needs, what are they thinking, can you believe the nerve...
Innkeeping is about service. If someone is stealing, seriously disruptive, damaging, hurting others, taking serious advantage of you ==> there is certainly call to defend ourselves (nicely).
There is a constant attempt by businesses to "exceed expectations." If it costs you little, it seems better to welcome them to sit for awhile. A few hours before, they were welcome guests - free to roam the building. Then the checkout clock dings, and they are pests? Sounds like a hotel.
Going the extra mile may get that extra referral, return visit, happy online review. Annoying someone may get the opposite.
Studies show that for a positive experience, a customer will tell on average 0.7 others. For a negative experience, they will tell 7.0 others (10x as much)..
Undersea, I went the extra mile when I was an owner/innkeeper. My new startup B&B became #1 on Trip Ad for our city above other long established properties because I tried to provide exceptional and unexpected service.
Having said that... There are always guests who try to push the envelope. And, when you live in your business and are there 24/7, and especially if you are the one who is doing the bulk of the work (for whatever reason), there are times when you just can not be that flexible or go the extra mile. Not because you don't want to, not because you perceive these folks as "pests", but because it is simply not possible since you have other guests or constraints on your precious time to consider. Having someone sit for hours in your common areas can seriously impact getting that area ready for the next round of check-ins. Your in-house guests are out for the day and you have to clean that area every single day in a small window of time. Maybe your housekeeper didn't show up? It all falls to you unexpectedly. There are just so many variables.
I do agree that compromise is key - I have let guests store their luggage in my locked office after check-out. I have held wedding rental clothes for the company to pick up here after the newlyweds have gone off to their honeymoon. I have allowed guests to linger briefly while waiting for a ride after check-out times. All of these services cut into that precious window of time between check-out and check-in. And, what usually suffered was any down time for this innkeeper. Unless you have plenty of staff, this is very common.
This forum is a safe place to blow off steam when we might feel most stressed out and missing what little break time might be available to us after being on 24/7. I'll be interested to hear your stories when the day comes that you're officially in this business!
We try to pin down the train riders to which train they are leaving on - early AM or late PM. Some think this is intrusive. Even after I've explained there is no place to store luggage at the station. Of course I need to know if you need a breakfast to go or if you're blithely planning to leave your suitcases for me to guard for 8 hours.
I'm stunned again and again by guests who say over breakfast, "we'll be back at 3 for our suitcases." Really?
I'm getting better at that one. "Just put them right there in the corner out of the housekeeper's way. Ring the bell when you return and we'll let you in." No, this is not going to be Grand Central with you coming and going all day.
They were planning to leave them in the room and use the bathroom when they returned.
Because, hey, they checked and no one is in that room tonight. What's the big deal?

HJ, gosh we all know how it feels! Sorry it is your day to deal with it.
Undersea, thanks for your comments. It reminds us all how the guest thinks. In order to handle this in a professional manor we must all start by thinking how the guest thinks.
We all meet our guests with smiles and they never see us buried in a pile of laundry, bending over scrubbing the toilet, or the 100's of other tasks that take place between check out and check in. Because the cleaning fairies come in and make everything sparkle while we sit and eat bon nons.
wink_smile.gif

I have been lenient when I can but even then I have to create a threshold of where the hospitality has to end otherwise you give an inch and they want a mile. Money does make their need change. What seemed to be a must changes into nothing really necessary. There are always other options.

undersea said:
Studies show that for a positive experience, a customer will tell on average 0.7 others. For a negative experience, they will tell 7.0 others (10x as much).
Undersea, Run that by me again after two years of serving guests so I don't forget...... I can't wait to hear your guest stories too!
wink_smile.gif

I have lived with people for years, same house. Once i retrieve keys, if they stay a couple hours, i prefer low key.
I do like the "late checkout" above mentioned.
Yup! I used to go to this retreat place a couple times a year with friends. I was always one of the last to leave.... Then I got a job there. Now I leave with the second group....and try to convince others to take the gathering elsewhere. It changes you when you are on the other side of things. You think more about others and what your actions is doing to them. As an Innkeeper you will change or get burned out.

Ugh, I feel your pain HJ. So sorry these guests made you feel lacking.
When this happens I let them know that we will be vacuuming and cleaning and so the guest living room is not the best place to be. But the local library is quiet and has free wifi so it would be much better for them to base themselves in that public space.
Also, I point out that we will be off shopping in an hour or so, locking the house behind us. If we have their room available for the next night and do not need to change it over I will sometimes offer to charge them $150 for a late check out (until 5:00 pm). That usually drives home the point and they find that the public library (free) will work just fine.

Undersea, thanks for your comments. It reminds us all how the guest thinks. In order to handle this in a professional manor we must all start by thinking how the guest thinks.
We all meet our guests with smiles and they never see us buried in a pile of laundry, bending over scrubbing the toilet, or the 100's of other tasks that take place between check out and check in. Because the cleaning fairies come in and make everything sparkle while we sit and eat bon nons.
wink_smile.gif

I have been lenient when I can but even then I have to create a threshold of where the hospitality has to end otherwise you give an inch and they want a mile. Money does make their need change. What seemed to be a must changes into nothing really necessary. There are always other options..
Copperhead said:
wink_smile.gif

I have been lenient when I can but even then I have to create a threshold of where the hospitality has to end otherwise you give an inch and they want a mile. Money does make their need change. What seemed to be a must changes into nothing really necessary. There are always other options.
and if she was sweet as pie he would not have even thought about it, arrogance is not an endearing quality.

wink_smile.gif

I have been lenient when I can but even then I have to create a threshold of where the hospitality has to end otherwise you give an inch and they want a mile. Money does make their need change. What seemed to be a must changes into nothing really necessary. There are always other options..
Undersea, thanks for your comments. It reminds us all how the guest thinks. In order to handle this in a professional manor we must all start by thinking how the guest thinks. We all meet our guests with smiles and they never see us buried...
I certainly know the guest does not see the behind the scene stuff. But they have their own agenda, and are on a holiday, etc. And they can see the annoyance. i think compromise is key, and arrogant/pushy guests should not be tolerated, but most people are nice. even in a $60 motel, no one confronts me for being in the lobby at 11:05.
Saying hotels, motels are a lesser experience than an inn does not square with pushing someone out the door ASAP, who may not see the purpose.
i can already see the hackles going up, but in a hypercompetitive world, always seeing the innkeepers schedule as what matters may be what turns off others.

The most accurate thing I think about in times like these is that people don't actually know what to expect.
We say that here on the forum often, for some a simple home-cooked meal seems gourmet, to others they feel put down by something so simple. It is always in their perception, and folks, that will never change. Within one couple you have two different perceptions, and it all goes back from years and years of experiences.
For every innkeeper who tells guests they can check in at 10am, the next innkeeper is a baddie because they won't allow it. For every innkeeper who peels their blueberries, the next is a baddie who won't bend to every whim and fancy.
(I wish that comment was not from a real guest and I just made it up, but as we said on, a guest expected them peeled...we know, makes no sense whatsover)
Always be your best, seasoned with grace and it will be alright..
For every innkeeper who peels their blueberries, the next is a baddie who won't bend to every whim and fancy.
I once had a family group here and was told one of the men had Crohns. Having worked with a woman whose husband had that, i knew he could not have seeds of any kind. It was strawberry season and he had made a comment about how he had loved strawberries. For breakfast the next morning everyone had strawberries - including him - his had been shaved. I cut the seed layer off some berries for him.

i have never heard of doing these things with berries. i watched a woman peel her grapes before eating them - i don't know if the peels hurt her stomach?

For every innkeeper who peels their blueberries, the next is a baddie who won't bend to every whim and fancy.
I once had a family group here and was told one of the men had Crohns. Having worked with a woman whose husband had that, i knew he could not have seeds of any kind. It was strawberry season and he had made a comment about how he had loved strawberries. For breakfast the next morning everyone had strawberries - including him - his had been shaved. I cut the seed layer off some berries for him.
yes - but that was your choice to make it extra special for him to have a treat he normally couldn't have - not a demand

yes - but that was your choice to make it extra special for him to have a treat he normally couldn't have - not a demand
True. And it WAS appreciated.

True. And it WAS appreciated.
My husband did this with strawberries as well for a guest - they were shocked and overjoyed he cared enough to do it. But he decided, the guest didn't ask.

Aaaaah. Not again. People over an hour late checking out, when we knocked on their door and told them they promptly took all their bags out of the room, dumped them in the hall and took up residence in the dinning room to use their computer.
I got really annoyed and they knew it, I don't usually let guests see this. Probably get a bad ta for that. C'est La vie!!
This is my home, apart from the dinning room at breakfast downstairs is our space and I don't want people sitting in my dinning room well into the afternoon after they have checked out. We get a few brief hours during the day with the house to ourselves between cleaning the rooms and guests arriving.
These people just seemed to be in a world of their own, he came down to breakfast 10 minutes after it finished yesterday and still expected the full service. I'd have said no, cos I'd already cleaned the cooker down and put all the pots away but DH said ok whilst I was out checking the chickens. They asked me to book them a table at the local inn and then left here 20 minutes after the time they'd booked, I don't know how that went down at the Inn. They were only out of their room for 3 hours yesterday, so they've had ample time to use the internet.
I have toyed with the early check-in and late check-out charges, my concern is you have to be up-front about these things and I just feel it gives a mean spirited first impression.
Going that extra mile is one thing, and I've got 520 5-blob reviews on ta so we must be doing something right, but some people just take the mick and/or abuse our hospitality.

undersea said:
Studies show that for a positive experience, a customer will tell on average 0.7 others. For a negative experience, they will tell 7.0 others (10x as much).
Undersea, Run that by me again after two years of serving guests so I don't forget...... I can't wait to hear your guest stories too!
wink_smile.gif

Duff2014 said:
undersea said:
wink_smile.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Well done, don't let the turkeys get you down HJ! The users will use, the takers will take...
"Going that extra mile is one thing, and I've got 520 5-blob reviews on ta so we must be doing something right, but some people just take the mick and/or abuse our hospitality."

Aaaaah. Not again. People over an hour late checking out, when we knocked on their door and told them they promptly took all their bags out of the room, dumped them in the hall and took up residence in the dinning room to use their computer.
I got really annoyed and they knew it, I don't usually let guests see this. Probably get a bad ta for that. C'est La vie!!
This is my home, apart from the dinning room at breakfast downstairs is our space and I don't want people sitting in my dinning room well into the afternoon after they have checked out. We get a few brief hours during the day with the house to ourselves between cleaning the rooms and guests arriving.
These people just seemed to be in a world of their own, he came down to breakfast 10 minutes after it finished yesterday and still expected the full service. I'd have said no, cos I'd already cleaned the cooker down and put all the pots away but DH said ok whilst I was out checking the chickens. They asked me to book them a table at the local inn and then left here 20 minutes after the time they'd booked, I don't know how that went down at the Inn. They were only out of their room for 3 hours yesterday, so they've had ample time to use the internet.
I have toyed with the early check-in and late check-out charges, my concern is you have to be up-front about these things and I just feel it gives a mean spirited first impression.
Going that extra mile is one thing, and I've got 520 5-blob reviews on ta so we must be doing something right, but some people just take the mick and/or abuse our hospitality..
I don't think it is mean spirited, if you mean late check out and check in charges. I am sure it is the policy of almost every motel and hotel in the world, so why should we be different? You post it "nicely" in the logical places and charge it against their bill. And maybe make exceptions based on your own judgment.
But as I said before, I am still not in agreement so much with the pushing them out the building by 11:01am. I think this is asking for bad reviews. Pretty much every lodging has a seating area, and some people may have to wait for a meeting/lunch appointment/something to open. Yes it is a home, but it is also a business. Also, people keep saying it is the only time to have the place to themselves, but that is not the case when someone is there for more than 1 day. I would very likely hammer someone who went "Mr. Hyde" on me because I happened to be somewhere on their property as a nuisance and insurance risk, and I would definitely never return and never refer anyone. But each person must decide their policies...

Going that extra mile is one thing, and I've got 520 5-blob reviews on ta so we must be doing something right, but some people just take the mick and/or abuse our hospitality..
Oh dear, our guests from last weekend must have gone from here to you! Half an hour before breakfast ends they decided to take a walk before breakfast. All the cleaning was done...but their room since they were taking a nap, it was like that all weekend. It least they were a nice and pleasant couple....

Back