That's Why I Wouldn't Want to be 5 star

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is a tough one.
i understand the 'have to work' comment ... but b&b's aren't coffee shops with areas that folks can linger in.
b&b's aren't hotels with lobbies and staff.
those i've stay in, maybe 50, are homes with private space and guest space intertwined ... staffed by the owners with maybe a chambermaid or two ... sometimes the owners fly solo ... depending on the size of the place and whether or not they could afford help.
in my case, that little window of time between check OUT by 11 and check IN at 3 was only 4 hours to get rooms flipped and fluffed - it was also the only 'down' time i got. if i only had a few guests and they left, i could lock all the doors and lie down or take a shower and wash my hair (a big luxury).
just one guest in the house changes that dynamic. i was up cooking at 6, serving breakfast from 8 to 10, and then doing dishes and cleanup, then cleaning rooms and checking guests out, then cleaning common areas (that includes sweeping the front porch and the front hall). groceries had to be purchased, banking done, laundry done ... phone calls were constant, you have bookkeeping to do, and what about marketing and website maintenance, and social media?? and what about that guest who keeps wanting to change their reservation or is lost on the road? guest check in started at 3 and sometimes they would come early. it was endless and this is seven days a week. seven. with eight rooms i felt chained to the place in a way i don't know how to explain.
i know it sounds harsh when someone complains that a guest wanted to check out and remain in the house, it seems like it's no big deal. but you don't want to leave an unregistered guest in the house and go out. sometimes your dining area is in a place that allows access to places you don't want unsupervised, no longer registered guests, to go. sometimes your insurance even prohibits it.
undersea and others in the planning stages - if you can design an area separate from the main b&b where this kind of overflow (should you choose to accommodate it) can happen, then do it..
The PO's made a lot of deals with guests to let them stay on after check out. The PO's had a full time housekeeper who could be left to mind the store while the innkeepers went out or just went to their apartment to relax.
Those same guests were affronted! that we expected them to take their suitcases to the car and give back the room keys.
Sure, sit in the dining room and have your business meeting. (What??? They never mentioned taking over the dining room for a business meeting for 2 hours AFTER check out.)
Of course they wanted coffee laid on and, oh a few muffins would be nice.
But if we had the keys what bathroom could they use???
You can see how these things snowball. Even tho they probably shared a bathroom at work, they did NOT want to share a bathroom here even just for a couple of hours.
We've been scolded for being 'rude' and 'inhospitable' for asking guests to uphold their end of the bargain.
One family stayed for 2 extra hours, hogged the living room, computer, printer and continued to make coffee the entire time.
Another several couples refused to vacate their rooms until 1pm. One of those wanted us to make him breakfast to go. At freakin' one pm!
BTW, these have always been late arrivals. They don't see you, they don't give a rip about you.
We were fortunate that we had put in the half bath under our staircase so that guests had an option once they were out of their room for a loo. Having said that, I still generally didn't want people lingering for hours on end because I simply would not be able to get everything done before the next round of check-ins, or maybe the guests staying over wanted to gather in the living room.
There were days when I didn't get out to the store to pick up needed items as it was. Fortunately, that was one of the things that my dh could do for me on his way home from work. Bless his heart...

Aaaaah. Not again. People over an hour late checking out, when we knocked on their door and told them they promptly took all their bags out of the room, dumped them in the hall and took up residence in the dinning room to use their computer.
I got really annoyed and they knew it, I don't usually let guests see this. Probably get a bad ta for that. C'est La vie!!
This is my home, apart from the dinning room at breakfast downstairs is our space and I don't want people sitting in my dinning room well into the afternoon after they have checked out. We get a few brief hours during the day with the house to ourselves between cleaning the rooms and guests arriving.
These people just seemed to be in a world of their own, he came down to breakfast 10 minutes after it finished yesterday and still expected the full service. I'd have said no, cos I'd already cleaned the cooker down and put all the pots away but DH said ok whilst I was out checking the chickens. They asked me to book them a table at the local inn and then left here 20 minutes after the time they'd booked, I don't know how that went down at the Inn. They were only out of their room for 3 hours yesterday, so they've had ample time to use the internet.
I have toyed with the early check-in and late check-out charges, my concern is you have to be up-front about these things and I just feel it gives a mean spirited first impression.
Going that extra mile is one thing, and I've got 520 5-blob reviews on ta so we must be doing something right, but some people just take the mick and/or abuse our hospitality..
I don't think it is mean spirited, if you mean late check out and check in charges. I am sure it is the policy of almost every motel and hotel in the world, so why should we be different? You post it "nicely" in the logical places and charge it against their bill. And maybe make exceptions based on your own judgment.
But as I said before, I am still not in agreement so much with the pushing them out the building by 11:01am. I think this is asking for bad reviews. Pretty much every lodging has a seating area, and some people may have to wait for a meeting/lunch appointment/something to open. Yes it is a home, but it is also a business. Also, people keep saying it is the only time to have the place to themselves, but that is not the case when someone is there for more than 1 day. I would very likely hammer someone who went "Mr. Hyde" on me because I happened to be somewhere on their property as a nuisance and insurance risk, and I would definitely never return and never refer anyone. But each person must decide their policies...
undersea said:
But as I said before, I am still not in agreement so much with the pushing them out the building by 11:01am. I think this is asking for bad reviews. Pretty much every lodging has a seating area, and some people may have to wait for a meeting/lunch appointment/something to open. Yes it is a home, but it is also a business. Also, people keep saying it is the only time to have the place to themselves, but that is not the case when someone is there for more than 1 day. I would very likely hammer someone who went "Mr. Hyde" on me because I happened to be somewhere on their property as a nuisance and insurance risk, and I would definitely never return and never refer anyone. But each person must decide their policies...
It's a "Bed & Breakfast"!!! If someone needs to use the internet into the afternoon then they need to book somewhere with the facilities they need. Not book accomodation at the lower end of the price scale and automatically assume they're going to lay on any facilities required. Book a hotel with a business centre or at least a guest lounge. There are plenty of hotels around here with these sorts of facilities, the only problem is they're charging 2x - 3x as much as us.

Aaaaah. Not again. People over an hour late checking out, when we knocked on their door and told them they promptly took all their bags out of the room, dumped them in the hall and took up residence in the dinning room to use their computer.
I got really annoyed and they knew it, I don't usually let guests see this. Probably get a bad ta for that. C'est La vie!!
This is my home, apart from the dinning room at breakfast downstairs is our space and I don't want people sitting in my dinning room well into the afternoon after they have checked out. We get a few brief hours during the day with the house to ourselves between cleaning the rooms and guests arriving.
These people just seemed to be in a world of their own, he came down to breakfast 10 minutes after it finished yesterday and still expected the full service. I'd have said no, cos I'd already cleaned the cooker down and put all the pots away but DH said ok whilst I was out checking the chickens. They asked me to book them a table at the local inn and then left here 20 minutes after the time they'd booked, I don't know how that went down at the Inn. They were only out of their room for 3 hours yesterday, so they've had ample time to use the internet.
I have toyed with the early check-in and late check-out charges, my concern is you have to be up-front about these things and I just feel it gives a mean spirited first impression.
Going that extra mile is one thing, and I've got 520 5-blob reviews on ta so we must be doing something right, but some people just take the mick and/or abuse our hospitality..
I don't think it is mean spirited, if you mean late check out and check in charges. I am sure it is the policy of almost every motel and hotel in the world, so why should we be different? You post it "nicely" in the logical places and charge it against their bill. And maybe make exceptions based on your own judgment.
undersea said:
It's a "Bed & Breakfast"!!! If someone needs to use the internet into the afternoon then they need to book somewhere with the facilities they need. Not book accomodation at the lower end of the price scale and automatically assume they're going to lay on any facilities required. Book a hotel with a business centre or at least a guest lounge. There are plenty of hotels around here with these sorts of facilities, the only problem is they're charging 2x - 3x as much as us.
While that is true, so does Motel 6 at half the cost of the B&B. I have used wifi and sitting area after I check out numerous times. Many times, I need to wait for an event or to meet someone or for something to open/become available.
I know people have their knowledge and their schedules and the need to clean/shop/handle business/etc., Guests do not think like the innkeeper, their model is often the hotel/motel. They don't know the innkeeper wants them off the property.
It needs to be handled with tact, rather than indignation I often see here. That is the point of this.

undersea said:
While that is true, so does Motel 6 at half the cost of the B&B. I have used wifi and sitting area after I check out numerous times. Many times, I need to wait for an event or to meet someone or for something to open/become available.
I know people have their knowledge and their schedules and the need to clean/shop/handle business/etc., Guests do not think like the innkeeper, their model is often the hotel/motel. They don't know the innkeeper wants them off the property.
It needs to be handled with tact, rather than indignation I often see here. That is the point of this.
undersea said:
Many times what we say/read here is us being ourselves, letting out our frustrations to those that understand what we are feeling. Just cause we burst out here does not mean we carry the same lack of tact when dealing directly to a guest. Give us a little more credit than that!
wink_smile.gif

undersea said:
undersea said:
Many times what we say/read here is us being ourselves, letting out our frustrations to those that understand what we are feeling. Just cause we burst out here does not mean we carry the same lack of tact when dealing directly to a guest. Give us a little more credit than that!
wink_smile.gif

I get that, CH. My only point was, that anything an innkeeper does that is not the same as "otel" type lodging, we cannot expect that the guest automatically knows that. I sometimes see posts as if a guest behavior is labeled as PITA, when I think it is more the innkeeper expecting or not making it clear how/why things are different. Saying a B&B has different rules means nothing to someone who rarely stays in one. Guests have the "otel" mindset, and I think that is reasonable.

undersea said:
undersea said:
wink_smile.gif

I get that, CH. My only point was, that anything an innkeeper does that is not the same as "otel" type lodging, we cannot expect that the guest automatically knows that. I sometimes see posts as if a guest behavior is labeled as PITA, when I think it is more the innkeeper expecting or not making it clear how/why things are different. Saying a B&B has different rules means nothing to someone who rarely stays in one. Guests have the "otel" mindset, and I think that is reasonable.
the problem in the UK is people do not read (seems to be USA also) that we all have very extensive web sites which no one reads and then are upset we are not as they expected.
A perfect example of this is a lady who came to stay with us - arrived and had booked a single - we very clearly state that we have only one single room and it is on the top floor which is 2 and a half flights of stairs - this lady was clearly not going to make it up one flight and struggled to make it down 12 steps to the breakfast room once a day - DH had to do a massive shuffle to get her in on the ground floor - this is her problem and not ours - but we would be blamed for it,

undersea said:
undersea said:
wink_smile.gif

Just another POV, but we don't get many 'otel folks because that's not the niche we've carefully created over the past 10 years. The majority of our guests realize that this is also our home, which means it can be inconvenient to have them hanging around past check out, unlike an 'otel which is run by non-resident employees who could care less about personal space.
I've intentionally used Home all over the website and the few signs around the house.
Everyone's confirmation letter begins with: Thank you for selecting . . . your casually elegant home away from home nearby the sea.
And ends with: We look forward to sharing our home’s personal treasures along with the many gems here in ...
When folks check in, we immediately say: Welcome to our home. Later, we make sure that they know that we are either in our kitchen or third floor of our home if they need us.
It took the first two years to figure out how to emphasis that a B&B is a home that we share with guests. And we now have only the occasional few that treat us like hired servants, whom we tactfully "work around," but still adhere to our check-out policies if inconvenient, and recommend our lovely local library, or such.
As always, subject to change, I might recant these statements by mid-August!

undersea said:
undersea said:
wink_smile.gif

Just another POV, but we don't get many 'otel folks because that's not the niche we've carefully created over the past 10 years. The majority of our guests realize that this is also our home, which means it can be inconvenient to have them hanging around past check out, unlike an 'otel which is run by non-resident employees who could care less about personal space.
I've intentionally used Home all over the website and the few signs around the house.
Everyone's confirmation letter begins with: Thank you for selecting . . . your casually elegant home away from home nearby the sea.
And ends with: We look forward to sharing our home’s personal treasures along with the many gems here in ...
When folks check in, we immediately say: Welcome to our home. Later, we make sure that they know that we are either in our kitchen or third floor of our home if they need us.
It took the first two years to figure out how to emphasis that a B&B is a home that we share with guests. And we now have only the occasional few that treat us like hired servants, whom we tactfully "work around," but still adhere to our check-out policies if inconvenient, and recommend our lovely local library, or such.
Momma Smurf said:
Just another POV, but we don't get many 'otel folks because that's not the niche we've carefully created over the past 10 years.
So when I read your POV, it sounded to me like the same thing U Sea was saying, and that I would agree with you both.
You have done the work and cultivated a niche which ensures you are getting the guests you want. Just like you, we get the occasional guest who missed all the cues and chose us anyway.
For me, the challenge is that I will see the same complaint appear, often in a slightly different format, over and over. I am empathetic to the situation because all innkeepers must at some point face some unpleasantries, but I do wish the sound advice, references, and ideas folks come up with would result in a change for the better.

undersea said:
undersea said:
wink_smile.gif

Momma Smurf said:
Just another POV, but we don't get many 'otel folks because that's not the niche we've carefully created over the past 10 years.
So when I read your POV, it sounded to me like the same thing U Sea was saying, and that I would agree with you both.
You have done the work and cultivated a niche which ensures you are getting the guests you want. Just like you, we get the occasional guest who missed all the cues and chose us anyway.
For me, the challenge is that I will see the same complaint appear, often in a slightly different format, over and over. I am empathetic to the situation because all innkeepers must at some point face some unpleasantries, but I do wish the sound advice, references, and ideas folks come up with would result in a change for the better.
Yes. But I will gently enforce our check out times if it's inconvenient. I won't back down or cater to someone just because they may have a misconcieved hotel mentality.

undersea said:
undersea said:
wink_smile.gif

Momma Smurf said:
Yes. But I will gently enforce our check out times if it's inconvenient. I won't back down or cater to someone just because they may have a misconcieved hotel mentality.
Exactly. We are the same. We have policies and they are going to be applied.

Pretty much every lodging has a seating area, and some people may have to wait for a meeting/lunch appointment/something to open. Yes it is a home, but it is also a business.
Exactly. My seating area is the glider on my front porch. And yes, it is a business and businesses have business hours. Retail establishments/offices are often 9-5. Our hours just happen to be 4 P.M. to 11:00 A.M. - checkout time. At 11:00 the store closes and the shop doors are locked. Nothing inhospitable about business hours. Stayovers are different because they have purchased another set of business hours.
I sincerely doubt anyone has done a Mr. Hyde as you put it, but I think a few of us HAVE had to assert ourselves as the business owner with business hours. And if we have a doctor appointment, I damn well am not going to miss it because someone decided to impose themselves on my hospitality by lingering to suit themselves. I am going to come right out and tell them I have an appointment, thank you for choosing us, and we hope to see you again - AFTER I have collected the tariff of course.
We bend over and grab our ankles to make a pleasant stay for our guests and most appreciate and do not abuse. It is the rare abuser that causes the steam to build, requiring a vent to avoid explosion. THAT is the purpose of this site in addition to trying to help each other, help newbies and aspiring onto the right path, and a place to play Show & Tell I Done Good.

undersea said:
undersea said:
wink_smile.gif

the problem in the UK is people do not read (seems to be USA also) that we all have very extensive web sites which no one reads and then are upset we are not as they expected.
A perfect example of this is a lady who came to stay with us - arrived and had booked a single - we very clearly state that we have only one single room and it is on the top floor which is 2 and a half flights of stairs - this lady was clearly not going to make it up one flight and struggled to make it down 12 steps to the breakfast room once a day - DH had to do a massive shuffle to get her in on the ground floor - this is her problem and not ours - but we would be blamed for it,
As I have rental units, I have a comprehensive, lawyer vetted rental agreement. But no one reads it after they move in. It mostly serves to protect my interests in a legal dispute.
I don't think detailed websites, emails, written/posted policies or other similars get read nor should they be expected to. They serve more as a copout if innkeepers think that is enough.
I much more agree with those who use multiple channels to communicate the critical stuff. And keep it clear and simple.

Pretty much every lodging has a seating area, and some people may have to wait for a meeting/lunch appointment/something to open. Yes it is a home, but it is also a business.
Exactly. My seating area is the glider on my front porch. And yes, it is a business and businesses have business hours. Retail establishments/offices are often 9-5. Our hours just happen to be 4 P.M. to 11:00 A.M. - checkout time. At 11:00 the store closes and the shop doors are locked. Nothing inhospitable about business hours. Stayovers are different because they have purchased another set of business hours.
I sincerely doubt anyone has done a Mr. Hyde as you put it, but I think a few of us HAVE had to assert ourselves as the business owner with business hours. And if we have a doctor appointment, I damn well am not going to miss it because someone decided to impose themselves on my hospitality by lingering to suit themselves. I am going to come right out and tell them I have an appointment, thank you for choosing us, and we hope to see you again - AFTER I have collected the tariff of course.
We bend over and grab our ankles to make a pleasant stay for our guests and most appreciate and do not abuse. It is the rare abuser that causes the steam to build, requiring a vent to avoid explosion. THAT is the purpose of this site in addition to trying to help each other, help newbies and aspiring onto the right path, and a place to play Show & Tell I Done Good.
True enough that it is the rare abuser for most innkeepers and if you have the policies and plans in place that many of us recommend, that will always be the case. However, when you send a mixed message, don't apply your policies consistently, or pretend that your website says it all, you will repeatedly be on this forum complaining about the latest and greatest PITA.
Honestly K, it is rare to see you use this forum that way because, like us, it is a rare occurrence for you. I think the message is more to those that want us to believe that they have an endless stream of guests that fit that description. At some point that finger has to be bent back in the other direction, especially given the great advice the you and others share on correcting it.

undersea said:
undersea said:
wink_smile.gif

As I have rental units, I have a comprehensive, lawyer vetted rental agreement. But no one reads it after they move in. It mostly serves to protect my interests in a legal dispute.
I don't think detailed websites, emails, written/posted policies or other similars get read nor should they be expected to. They serve more as a copout if innkeepers think that is enough.
I much more agree with those who use multiple channels to communicate the critical stuff. And keep it clear and simple.
I run 11 bedrooms at 87% occupancy - I do not have the hours in the day to ring or email every person who books - we try with large pictures and Very short and to the point description ie our accommodation is over 3 floors and no lift and yet the majority of our customers have very little idea of what they have booked.
I will make allowances for my conference guests as most book entirely on price and many don't book for themselves - however for people on holiday especially ones staying 3 or more days to my mind there is no excuse - in many cases its a case of the property will sort it out when we get there, which means in the case I mentioned she got a free upgrade, I bend over backwards for my guests but there was an imp on my shoulder to make her have the room she had booked.

undersea said:
undersea said:
wink_smile.gif

I run 11 bedrooms at 87% occupancy - I do not have the hours in the day to ring or email every person who books - we try with large pictures and Very short and to the point description ie our accommodation is over 3 floors and no lift and yet the majority of our customers have very little idea of what they have booked.
I will make allowances for my conference guests as most book entirely on price and many don't book for themselves - however for people on holiday especially ones staying 3 or more days to my mind there is no excuse - in many cases its a case of the property will sort it out when we get there, which means in the case I mentioned she got a free upgrade, I bend over backwards for my guests but there was an imp on my shoulder to make her have the room she had booked.
That is a great occupancy! Do you have workers?
Your point about people not knowing what they booked, goes back somewhat to what was said about people who rarely stay at B&B/inns. There is a mindset of the hotel crowd. Expecting those guests to know how innkeepers differ does not seem so reasonable.
On the other hand, letting them know how we differ is not so easy, as you said. Even simplicity and clarity is no guarantee.
It is my plan to hew somewhat to the hotel model, while also trying to protect my sanity!

undersea said:
undersea said:
wink_smile.gif

That is a great occupancy! Do you have workers?
Your point about people not knowing what they booked, goes back somewhat to what was said about people who rarely stay at B&B/inns. There is a mindset of the hotel crowd. Expecting those guests to know how innkeepers differ does not seem so reasonable.
On the other hand, letting them know how we differ is not so easy, as you said. Even simplicity and clarity is no guarantee.
It is my plan to hew somewhat to the hotel model, while also trying to protect my sanity!
we have a chamber maid 7 days a week who does all the rooms and common areas
My occupancy is partly personal success and partly location - this is why it is so important to do your research about the area and occupancy rates. I personally do not want to clean toilets every day so I chose an area and size property which can support staff.
For example we have some very seasonal places in the UK 6 months on 6 months dead - impossible to keep staff as who wants to work like that? where I am its busy all year round.

undersea said:
undersea said:
wink_smile.gif

Momma Smurf said:
Since our niche is the typical B&Ber or newbee virgin explorer, this is why we have dug in our heels re using b**king.com, where one relinquishes a vast amount of control of overall pre-booking perceptions. We would much rather lose the $$ than have to deal with someone who ends up here with distorted 'otel expectations. That is not to say that we haven't converted many a prior 'otels only person with all the personal and additional value perks that one gets when they stay at a B&B vs 'otels!
We also received a recent 5TA review that started: After staying at many A1rBBs, my boyfriend and I didn't realize what a true bed and breakfast experience could be...

undersea said:
undersea said:
wink_smile.gif

Momma Smurf said:
Since our niche is the typical B&Ber or newbee virgin explorer, this is why we have dug in our heels re using b**king.com, where one relinquishes a vast amount of control of overall pre-booking perceptions. We would much rather lose the $$ than have to deal with someone who ends up here with distorted 'otel expectations. That is not to say that we haven't converted many a prior 'otels only person with all the personal and additional value perks that one gets when they stay at a B&B vs 'otels!
We also received a recent 5TA review that started: After staying at many A1rBBs, my boyfriend and I didn't realize what a true bed and breakfast experience could be...
So you find TA better than b**king in this regard? Any opinions on other sites you use/avoid?

Regarding guests, I was toying with posting an attractive notice like: for insurance reasons, only currently registered guests allowed on the premises!
--- Of course, this may also serve to dissuade unregistered "visitors/friends"

undersea said:
undersea said:
wink_smile.gif

Momma Smurf said:
So you find TA better than b**king in this regard? Any opinions on other sites you use/avoid?

Regarding guests, I was toying with posting an attractive notice like: for insurance reasons, only currently registered guests allowed on the premises!
We do use TA TripConnect as our only outside referrer; and it seems to be a tremendous success this season. No commission and for us only 25 cents per click; and RezKey tracks every date search from TA along with their IP address. So even if someone calls to make a reservation, I can see ahead of time on RK if they found us on TA (and make a note on the resi as a heads up).
And we do have a nicely scripted note just above the Keypad on our locked front door: Registered Guests Only Please Ring Door Bell for Assistance. Everyone automatically sees it. I also include a line in our Guest Policies and Confirmation Letter that says: Due to the intimacy of the inn, our home is intended for registered guests only.

undersea said:
undersea said:
wink_smile.gif

Momma Smurf said:

We do use TA TripConnect as our only outside referrer; and it seems to be a tremendous success this season. No commission and for us only 25 cents per click; and RezKey tracks every date search from TA along with their IP address. So even if someone calls to make a reservation, I can see ahead of time on RK if they found us on TA (and make a note on the resi as a heads up).
And we do have a nicely scripted note just above the Keypad on our locked front door: Registered Guests Only Please Ring Door Bell for Assistance. Everyone automatically sees it. I also include a line in our Guest Policies and Confirmation Letter that says: Due to the intimacy of the inn, our home is intended for registered guests only.
Hmmm
One line of thought (especially for a newbie) is to be on all of the booking sites. Another thought is if you do all your booking from one site, maybe you will appear higher in the B&B rankings...
Thanks for your TripConnect insight. Will have to think on this

Back