The BIG move from Aspiring to Actual--Suggestions?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations and Welcome!!
Remember to have fun and enjoy your guests!

Welcome to the front side of the forum and congratulations! We are very excited for you Christopher and Shelley!
A couple pointers from me:
Did you get a conveyance list of what the current owners are taking and/or what they are leaving?
You may find things missing like a porch swing that was supposed to convey and they will be shuffling off to buffalo and won't care at that point. You will also be told when you arrive the drawers are still packed with their junk "It's a business, it's business stuff" and you will find linoleum wax from the mid 1900's... so be prepared to want to move on it and then find a lack of space for your stuff.
What this means if you can't really just come in and move stuff out as you don't really know what it is for or if you will need it, so you have to be prepared to have your stuff in boxes for a while - the stuff you don't need right away. Why am I saying this? Make sure you pack the stuff YOU WILL need right away so you can get to it.
and from my heart to yours, if you have not been to where bluegrass was invented then please consider your next trip to these blue ridge mountains of Virginia and bring the banjo player along... that is my hint to say "don't forget to take care of yourselves during this time" to avoid the annual innkeeper meltdown.
All the best! We can't wait to hear your guest stories good and bad! (we wish for you only good of course)
thumbs_up.gif
Shelley and I love the mountains of Virginia. Our B&B mentors own a B&B in Goshien, VA. We will definitely come stay some time. You're always welcome here in Mountain View as well. There is plenty of bluegrass and folk music around here too.
Chris

Relax. (Yeah, right.)
Is the website attached here the new one or the old one?
Making the transition a smooth one...oh, the pitfalls. Are the PO's staying on to help or are you doing pre closing training?
:welcome:
Arks will be happy to see you here..
Hello, Morticia, thank you for the welcome. The website is the new one, the old one is this: http://www.arkansas-inn.com/. We will transfer the domain over to our hosting service and point it to the new website domain.
The PO's (previous owners, I assume, working on all this new terminology :) will be staying on for training, but my wife will be doing some pre-closing training as well.
Chris
ChrisandShelley said:
Hello, Morticia, thank you for the welcome. The website is the new one, the old one is this: http://www.arkansas-inn.com/. We will transfer the domain over to our hosting service and point it to the new website domain.
The PO's (previous owners, I assume, working on all this new terminology :) will be staying on for training, but my wife will be doing some pre-closing training as well.
Chris
You'll need to take some new photos then. They are out of focus. Just add it to the list.
Yeah, it's still a work on progress. I just put some pictures that I found plus some from my phone camera just to hold a place. We will have a photographer come and take some good pictures to put in that slide show.
Thank you for the advice.
Chris

Relax. (Yeah, right.)
Making the transition a smooth one...oh, the pitfalls. Are the PO's staying on to help or are you doing pre closing training?
Chris
ChrisandShelley said:
Chris
You'll need to take some new photos then. They are out of focus. Just add it to the list.
Yeah, it's still a work on progress. I just put some pictures that I found plus some from my phone camera just to hold a place. We will have a photographer come and take some good pictures to put in that slide show.
Chris
We're really focused on making sure every innkeeper who comes here has absolutely the best website/internet presence possible. (Within the budget of course!)
It's probably our biggest focus other than helping each other feel better when a guest tries to drag us down.
We seriously want to help you be the best innkeeper you can. Everyone's model is different so take the advice that works in your situation.
We argue about everything, but the point is not to disagree but to strengthen each other's business plan. (Altho, at times, it just looks like we're arguing.)

Welcome to a great spot on the web! Glad to have you step out to join us all in innkeeping! On April 22 it was one year for me as assistant innkeeper. I spent the first month living in this monster by myself as my aunt finished up with teaching. Prior to this I hated being at home alone period. You will change or die! She came to live here after that and we had a wonderful time together with our guests. Then in June she started to feel sick and ended in the hospital for three weeks with cancer....it was two months before she felt up to doing anything. So I ran the place by myself during the peak season, scared stiff with my mom trying to help out....While she was in recovery she found this site.... A year later my aunt is cancer free and looking forward to the summer season after surviving the New England blizzards!
Advice? Enjoy the ride life throws at you and remember, this too will pass. A roller coaster ride awaits you so jump on and scream your lungs out as you enjoy the ride. And write us all about it!

To add my bits of advice, if you can get access, pour over the books. Get a feel for the ebbs and flows of money in the business. Familiarize yourself with the primary vendors and the patterns of transactions with those vendors. Know which vendors the business has open accounts with, and who has been authorized to charge purchases on those accounts. When you get a chance, introduce yourself to any local suppliers or service providers -- especially your insurance agent, the guys at the hardware store, town officials like the Code Enforcement Officer, etc...
Is the business a member of a local chamber of commerce, visitor's bureau, or anything similar? Get to know the staff at those places, and stop in there regularly.
Good Luck, and Have Fun. It is a real kick to build up a business of your own!

Welcome to Innspiring! Glad you are enjoying it. Time is always limited and it doesn't always give us a break on it's own. Please make sure to give yourself some time.

Relax. (Yeah, right.)
Chris
ChrisandShelley said:
Chris
Chris
Also be prepared for what I call the "sidlers"
They sidel up to you to impart what they consider the wisdom of the ages "have you thought about X?" sometimes it is actually useful but usually potty!
I just smile and say "yes we will take that into careful consideration"

Welcome to a great spot on the web! Glad to have you step out to join us all in innkeeping! On April 22 it was one year for me as assistant innkeeper. I spent the first month living in this monster by myself as my aunt finished up with teaching. Prior to this I hated being at home alone period. You will change or die! She came to live here after that and we had a wonderful time together with our guests. Then in June she started to feel sick and ended in the hospital for three weeks with cancer....it was two months before she felt up to doing anything. So I ran the place by myself during the peak season, scared stiff with my mom trying to help out....While she was in recovery she found this site.... A year later my aunt is cancer free and looking forward to the summer season after surviving the New England blizzards!
Advice? Enjoy the ride life throws at you and remember, this too will pass. A roller coaster ride awaits you so jump on and scream your lungs out as you enjoy the ride. And write us all about it!.
Duff2014 said:
Advice? Enjoy the ride life throws at you and remember, this too will pass. A roller coaster ride awaits you so jump on and scream your lungs out as you enjoy the ride. And write us all about it!
Somehow the picture of you screaming your lungs out on the rollercoaster made my morning. Or was that my daughter who swore to never go on one and loves them now. There is something fun in being scared and on the edge of something new!

Welcome to the front side of the forum and congratulations! We are very excited for you Christopher and Shelley!
A couple pointers from me:
Did you get a conveyance list of what the current owners are taking and/or what they are leaving?
You may find things missing like a porch swing that was supposed to convey and they will be shuffling off to buffalo and won't care at that point. You will also be told when you arrive the drawers are still packed with their junk "It's a business, it's business stuff" and you will find linoleum wax from the mid 1900's... so be prepared to want to move on it and then find a lack of space for your stuff.
What this means if you can't really just come in and move stuff out as you don't really know what it is for or if you will need it, so you have to be prepared to have your stuff in boxes for a while - the stuff you don't need right away. Why am I saying this? Make sure you pack the stuff YOU WILL need right away so you can get to it.
and from my heart to yours, if you have not been to where bluegrass was invented then please consider your next trip to these blue ridge mountains of Virginia and bring the banjo player along... that is my hint to say "don't forget to take care of yourselves during this time" to avoid the annual innkeeper meltdown.
All the best! We can't wait to hear your guest stories good and bad! (we wish for you only good of course)
thumbs_up.gif
Thank you for the welcome. Yes, we did get a conveyance list. We also did a walk around with the current owners so we (actually just Shelley) could lay eyes on what was staying. This was very helpful.
Chris
ChrisandShelley said:
Thank you for the welcome. Yes, we did get a conveyance list. We also did a walk around with the current owners so we (actually just Shelley) could lay eyes on what was staying. This was very helpful.
Chris
Eyes are one thing, in the mass chaos of moving in and closing etc you may not notice them til later. (Photos are always a good idea). Only suggesting this as these things add up from the get go and you already forked over a big chunk of change.
Have fun, this is the exciting pit in your stomach part of the experience. Oh and enjoy everyone telling you "oh you are just new at this!" and you can let them know "yes and it would be great if you wrote us a review!" or something to egg them on, make them feel special. Try out new recipes on them, they love that too.
regular_smile.gif
And tell Shelley we're excited for y'all!
Yes, I love telling some guests they are the guinea pigs for a new recipe and to be sure to tell me if it is worthy of adding to the rotation.
The ebb and flow of guests and your experience with them will tell you just how to make changes over time.
And of course, the wise ones here are always ready to help in a pinch
congratulations on your new start!

Welcome to innkeeping and the forum!
Best advice I can give is to be kind to each other and make time for each other every day, and be sure that you each have your responsibilities defined so that you can each live up to that. :)
I am a former owner/innkeeper who opened a start-up that became the #1 B&B on TripAdvisor in my city. I was busier and more profitable than I dreamed. I closed the biz because my dh really didn't take on his self assigned responsibilities and duties and I realized I was not Superwoman. I was getting about 4 hours of sleep a night. :-( Not good...
I loved the guests and have wonderful memories of many of them.
Best of luck in your new adventure!

Make friends with your real-estate office. Your local gift shop. Chamber. Maybe even send some muffins over their way. Sweeten the deal !LOL
All the best to you. The first year is a whirl wind . Just take time to breath. Take time to enjoy each day. Need down time ,so you don't wear your selves out.

Welcome to innkeeping and the forum!
Best advice I can give is to be kind to each other and make time for each other every day, and be sure that you each have your responsibilities defined so that you can each live up to that. :)
I am a former owner/innkeeper who opened a start-up that became the #1 B&B on TripAdvisor in my city. I was busier and more profitable than I dreamed. I closed the biz because my dh really didn't take on his self assigned responsibilities and duties and I realized I was not Superwoman. I was getting about 4 hours of sleep a night. :-( Not good...
I loved the guests and have wonderful memories of many of them.
Best of luck in your new adventure!.
that's another thing - don't care what time you go to bed now - go to bed an hour earlier than that! we are tucked up at 9.30pm! believe me you will be more than ready for it!
Also make sure you brief all friends and family in advance not to call you on the phone before 11am or after 9.30pm as you will be mad busy with breakfast and check out or asleep - people don't always think.
My sister for example and mother always ring and then first phrase is "are you busy?" if I say yes they hang up.
My dad however just does whatever!

We're just finishing Year Two, and could give you a million Year One suggestions, but the most important is this:
Do not discuss business in the Owner's Suite bedroom. Make it a work-free zone. You'll be much happier.

Congrats on the big move. I have a few suggestions that I've "learned" over the past 10 years from starting our place from scratch and taking part in many forums.
1. Do what works for you? If the previous owner did something that you don't like or agree with, then drop it. You have to have full belief and faith in what you're doing or you'll be upset. I used to try to emulate what other places were doing because I figured they had more experience and must know better. But in the end, realized that what was right for some, isn't right for everyone. For example, many believe that you have to leave out keys for those coming late. We know our market and what we want - we don't do check ins after 9pm. If an emergency arises, then one of us waits up and checks the guest in. No one does a self-checkin. Others would think this is not hospitality at all and leave out keys. However, they might find extra people in the room in the morning or kids or the person didn't sign the checkin form and has already left.
2. Do you have health insurance from a previous career that you're carrying over? This is the largest expense that many innkeepers face and the stress of not having it or not being able to pay for it wears on you. Work that all out.
3. As soon as you can afford it, get yourself a housekeeper so that you can spend more time with guests and marketing than on laundry and bathrooms. It's so worth it.
4. If you're financially able to, be sure to close slow days off once in a while and take sometime for yourselves since you may not get a longer vacation - these mini vacations might be it for a while. The thing that I hate most about innkeeping is that we spend our entire lives making sure that other people have a fabulous time getting away on a vacation while we may not get our own. It can wear on you. Remember - no more paid vacation days so if you have to close you'll only do it during the slow times or your vacation will cost you double - the cost of the vacation and the lost income. We typically can only go away in April and November because we can't afford to lose the income we make any other time of the year.
5. Figure out if you need to work with the OTAs and the best strategy for that.
Good luck.

Congrats on the big move. I have a few suggestions that I've "learned" over the past 10 years from starting our place from scratch and taking part in many forums.
1. Do what works for you? If the previous owner did something that you don't like or agree with, then drop it. You have to have full belief and faith in what you're doing or you'll be upset. I used to try to emulate what other places were doing because I figured they had more experience and must know better. But in the end, realized that what was right for some, isn't right for everyone. For example, many believe that you have to leave out keys for those coming late. We know our market and what we want - we don't do check ins after 9pm. If an emergency arises, then one of us waits up and checks the guest in. No one does a self-checkin. Others would think this is not hospitality at all and leave out keys. However, they might find extra people in the room in the morning or kids or the person didn't sign the checkin form and has already left.
2. Do you have health insurance from a previous career that you're carrying over? This is the largest expense that many innkeepers face and the stress of not having it or not being able to pay for it wears on you. Work that all out.
3. As soon as you can afford it, get yourself a housekeeper so that you can spend more time with guests and marketing than on laundry and bathrooms. It's so worth it.
4. If you're financially able to, be sure to close slow days off once in a while and take sometime for yourselves since you may not get a longer vacation - these mini vacations might be it for a while. The thing that I hate most about innkeeping is that we spend our entire lives making sure that other people have a fabulous time getting away on a vacation while we may not get our own. It can wear on you. Remember - no more paid vacation days so if you have to close you'll only do it during the slow times or your vacation will cost you double - the cost of the vacation and the lost income. We typically can only go away in April and November because we can't afford to lose the income we make any other time of the year.
Good luck..
We took our first 'go away' 2 week vacation last year. After 10 years in the biz. This year we didn't quite get 2 weeks due to family and I miss that vacation.
When you're home you're working. Even if you're just thinking about working!
People are coming to the door, the phone is ringing, etc.
So, yes, block off vacation time as soon as you take over. Look at previous years under the old innkeepers to see where your down time generally happens.
Then block it off.
The same day you do that 3 guests will call wanting some time during your vacation. Do not fret. They would have balked at the price, canceled a day before arriving, or would have been pitas.
My mom is very sick but I have blocked off her birthday this year to go see her (if she's still here). It will cost me $4000 in missed revenue as it's a weekend in peak season. I only have one mother. (I won't do that for weddings or other family events tho.)

Good luck..
What a great list.
thumbs_up.gif
Doing these things will make for a long career as a happy keeper.

Good luck..
We took our first 'go away' 2 week vacation last year. After 10 years in the biz. This year we didn't quite get 2 weeks due to family and I miss that vacation.
When you're home you're working. Even if you're just thinking about working!
People are coming to the door, the phone is ringing, etc.
So, yes, block off vacation time as soon as you take over. Look at previous years under the old innkeepers to see where your down time generally happens.
Then block it off.
The same day you do that 3 guests will call wanting some time during your vacation. Do not fret. They would have balked at the price, canceled a day before arriving, or would have been pitas.
My mom is very sick but I have blocked off her birthday this year to go see her (if she's still here). It will cost me $4000 in missed revenue as it's a weekend in peak season. I only have one mother. (I won't do that for weddings or other family events tho.)
Good move Mort...you don't get a second chance with aging parents so grab it while you can!

Back