The BIG move from Aspiring to Actual--Suggestions?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the big move. I have a few suggestions that I've "learned" over the past 10 years from starting our place from scratch and taking part in many forums.
1. Do what works for you? If the previous owner did something that you don't like or agree with, then drop it. You have to have full belief and faith in what you're doing or you'll be upset. I used to try to emulate what other places were doing because I figured they had more experience and must know better. But in the end, realized that what was right for some, isn't right for everyone. For example, many believe that you have to leave out keys for those coming late. We know our market and what we want - we don't do check ins after 9pm. If an emergency arises, then one of us waits up and checks the guest in. No one does a self-checkin. Others would think this is not hospitality at all and leave out keys. However, they might find extra people in the room in the morning or kids or the person didn't sign the checkin form and has already left.
2. Do you have health insurance from a previous career that you're carrying over? This is the largest expense that many innkeepers face and the stress of not having it or not being able to pay for it wears on you. Work that all out.
3. As soon as you can afford it, get yourself a housekeeper so that you can spend more time with guests and marketing than on laundry and bathrooms. It's so worth it.
4. If you're financially able to, be sure to close slow days off once in a while and take sometime for yourselves since you may not get a longer vacation - these mini vacations might be it for a while. The thing that I hate most about innkeeping is that we spend our entire lives making sure that other people have a fabulous time getting away on a vacation while we may not get our own. It can wear on you. Remember - no more paid vacation days so if you have to close you'll only do it during the slow times or your vacation will cost you double - the cost of the vacation and the lost income. We typically can only go away in April and November because we can't afford to lose the income we make any other time of the year.
5. Figure out if you need to work with the OTAs and the best strategy for that.
Good luck..
We took our first 'go away' 2 week vacation last year. After 10 years in the biz. This year we didn't quite get 2 weeks due to family and I miss that vacation.
When you're home you're working. Even if you're just thinking about working!
People are coming to the door, the phone is ringing, etc.
So, yes, block off vacation time as soon as you take over. Look at previous years under the old innkeepers to see where your down time generally happens.
Then block it off.
The same day you do that 3 guests will call wanting some time during your vacation. Do not fret. They would have balked at the price, canceled a day before arriving, or would have been pitas.
My mom is very sick but I have blocked off her birthday this year to go see her (if she's still here). It will cost me $4000 in missed revenue as it's a weekend in peak season. I only have one mother. (I won't do that for weddings or other family events tho.)
It would cost you MORE to not be there for your Mom's birthday. Whatever the $$$$ loss, it would never fill the part of you that NEEDS to be with your Mom. Dollars will be long gone and forgotten when you will still be wrapping yourself in the memory of that time with your Mom.

Congrats on the big move. I have a few suggestions that I've "learned" over the past 10 years from starting our place from scratch and taking part in many forums.
1. Do what works for you? If the previous owner did something that you don't like or agree with, then drop it. You have to have full belief and faith in what you're doing or you'll be upset. I used to try to emulate what other places were doing because I figured they had more experience and must know better. But in the end, realized that what was right for some, isn't right for everyone. For example, many believe that you have to leave out keys for those coming late. We know our market and what we want - we don't do check ins after 9pm. If an emergency arises, then one of us waits up and checks the guest in. No one does a self-checkin. Others would think this is not hospitality at all and leave out keys. However, they might find extra people in the room in the morning or kids or the person didn't sign the checkin form and has already left.
2. Do you have health insurance from a previous career that you're carrying over? This is the largest expense that many innkeepers face and the stress of not having it or not being able to pay for it wears on you. Work that all out.
3. As soon as you can afford it, get yourself a housekeeper so that you can spend more time with guests and marketing than on laundry and bathrooms. It's so worth it.
4. If you're financially able to, be sure to close slow days off once in a while and take sometime for yourselves since you may not get a longer vacation - these mini vacations might be it for a while. The thing that I hate most about innkeeping is that we spend our entire lives making sure that other people have a fabulous time getting away on a vacation while we may not get our own. It can wear on you. Remember - no more paid vacation days so if you have to close you'll only do it during the slow times or your vacation will cost you double - the cost of the vacation and the lost income. We typically can only go away in April and November because we can't afford to lose the income we make any other time of the year.
Good luck..
We took our first 'go away' 2 week vacation last year. After 10 years in the biz. This year we didn't quite get 2 weeks due to family and I miss that vacation.
So, yes, block off vacation time as soon as you take over. Look at previous years under the old innkeepers to see where your down time generally happens.
Then block it off.
The same day you do that 3 guests will call wanting some time during your vacation. Do not fret. They would have balked at the price, canceled a day before arriving, or would have been pitas.
My mom is very sick but I have blocked off her birthday this year to go see her (if she's still here). It will cost me $4000 in missed revenue as it's a weekend in peak season. I only have one mother. (I won't do that for weddings or other family events tho.)
Morticia said:
Then block it off.
This is a lesson we all have to learn... Family first. And take time for yourself too.

Good luck..
Then block it off.
Morticia said:
Then block it off.
This is a lesson we all have to learn... Family first. And take time for yourself too.
I already texted my grandson that as soon as they finalize the wedding date, he is to text me so I can block off everything - with the caveat that I was assuming we would be invited.

Good luck..
also because someone else does it doesn't mean it will work for you ie
I have one neighbour decorates all the rooms same colour scheme with white sheets so all swops between
I have another neighbour who likes everything colour co-ordinated
Both have smooth running beautifully maintained places all top knotch so when a 3rd chum also BB said which of the 2 should I do - my advice is this - its your place you have to be happy with it - you have to show guests into those rooms so all that matters is "Are you happy with it?" so take any and all advice under advisement but don't feel you should run out and buy and do anything right away. Its one of the mistakes we have made is run out and panic buy something - then 6 months later it doesn't work or needs redoing.
Yet another owner (there are a lot of BB's in my town) ran out in this exact same instance when she first bought her place - to be fair I can understand why as whole breakfast room was bright ORANGE! - bought beautiful chairs and tables but all are 4's - our market here is single business travellers and couples - families are very rare - so tables for 2 would be much better but as she has spent a fortune doesn't want to replace them - so that's another tip - make furniture fit your market - are they families, one's or romantic couples?

Good luck..
Then block it off.
So true about the calls once you block off your own vacation. Every time I do it, people start calling to say they saw it full online but had to check because they really want to stay here. I've told my husband that's one of the worst calls we get - letting us know how much we're losing by taking time off. But I'd go batty without my time so it's OK.

Good luck..
Then block it off.
So true about the calls once you block off your own vacation. Every time I do it, people start calling to say they saw it full online but had to check because they really want to stay here. I've told my husband that's one of the worst calls we get - letting us know how much we're losing by taking time off. But I'd go batty without my time so it's OK.
We have tried to turn that on it's head a little, because you know it is gonna happen. We know we are closing and it's kind of reassuring to know that folks want to stay with you enough to call and see if maybe there is something.

Back