The Countdown Starts...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[h2]
ONE - IT'S THE BIG REVEAL[/h2]
I decided to reveal on day 1 instead of tomorrow, the first actual day. The reason for revealing it today is JBs post today about taking care of ourselves. What perfect timing, JB, how did you know?
countdown_0.JPG

As of tomorrow, we will be on a 7 month long break/vacation/rejuvenation. After 16 years of innkeeping, we've hired someone to take care of our baby until May, 2017. It's a local I've been training and tomorrow she will move into the innkeepers house and perform her first wedding ceremony with a full house! I won't be working, but I'll be here to supervise.
We have reached a point where our bodies and minds need a break. Especially after adding our weddings/elopements 3 years ago, our business fortunately has reached a point we never thought possible, but we are exhausted. It's time to take care of us. We'll be back to do the busiest months since there's no way a single person can handle it and if all goes well and our assistant wants to continue, we will try to do this every year. It's our first step into semi-retirement.
We won't be homeless, we have a place to go to, but we will also take advantage of the time off to do some extensive traveling..
Wonderful! Enjoy it to the fullest.

[h2]
I decided to reveal on day 1 instead of tomorrow, the first actual day. The reason for revealing it today is JBs post today about taking care of ourselves. What perfect timing, JB, how did you know?
countdown_0.JPG

As of tomorrow, we will be on a 7 month long break/vacation/rejuvenation. After 16 years of innkeeping, we've hired someone to take care of our baby until May, 2017. It's a local I've been training and tomorrow she will move into the innkeepers house and perform her first wedding ceremony with a full house! I won't be working, but I'll be here to supervise.
We have reached a point where our bodies and minds need a break. Especially after adding our weddings/elopements 3 years ago, our business fortunately has reached a point we never thought possible, but we are exhausted. It's time to take care of us. We'll be back to do the busiest months since there's no way a single person can handle it and if all goes well and our assistant wants to continue, we will try to do this every year. It's our first step into semi-retirement.
We won't be homeless, we have a place to go to, but we will also take advantage of the time off to do some extensive traveling..
WOW! I wouldn't have guessed that in a hundred years! Have a wonderful time, but do keep in touch with us all over here. I hope everything goes well!

[h2]
countdown_0.JPG

Congrats, what an awesome time for you. Enjoy yourselves and relax, you deserve it. We'll be in your shoes in 3 years when our daughter heads to college and we can close for months at a time and head South for relaxation (unless we can find the perfect couple as this is a two-person operation). Then we can let someone run it while we sneak off. Best of luck.

[h2]
countdown_0.JPG

Wonderful! Hope everything goes more smoothly that you even expect it would be. Enjoy. Relax. And come visit!!!

[h2]
countdown_0.JPG

Ahhhh, I can hear you sigh from here! And Good Job in planning this...it could not have been easy. Have a wonderful break.

Thanks everybody!
It doesn't seem real yet. Our new innkeeper has her first wedding in a couple hours and we're here to support her. We'll be leaving the inn tomorrow. My biggest concern is that our return guests are not upset when they get here and it's not us greeting them. We may have a little bump down in biz for awhile, but it's ok. We can ride it out.

Thanks everybody!
It doesn't seem real yet. Our new innkeeper has her first wedding in a couple hours and we're here to support her. We'll be leaving the inn tomorrow. My biggest concern is that our return guests are not upset when they get here and it's not us greeting them. We may have a little bump down in biz for awhile, but it's ok. We can ride it out..
Breakfast Diva said:
Thanks everybody!
It doesn't seem real yet. Our new innkeeper has her first wedding in a couple hours and we're here to support her. We'll be leaving the inn tomorrow. My biggest concern is that our return guests are not upset when they get here and it's not us greeting them. We may have a little bump down in biz for awhile, but it's ok. We can ride it out.
Are you sending out a notice to the regulars, or blurp on the website/blog? Or just let it happen naturally?

Thanks everybody!
It doesn't seem real yet. Our new innkeeper has her first wedding in a couple hours and we're here to support her. We'll be leaving the inn tomorrow. My biggest concern is that our return guests are not upset when they get here and it's not us greeting them. We may have a little bump down in biz for awhile, but it's ok. We can ride it out..
Breakfast Diva said:
Thanks everybody!
Are you sending out a notice to the regulars, or blurp on the website/blog? Or just let it happen naturally?
If I were you, I would write something to let them know so they can accept the thought that you won't be greeting them. (Like New Face At BD's Place, etc) Let them know you are still involved…. This will keep them from feeling let down, offended, etc at not being told…. better for the business!

Oh, I could just give you a big squeeze. I'm so jealous, but in a good way. Have a grrreat time!!

So where in the world are you right now?!? I think you and Banana need to go to exotic place and do a innmate meet up!

Great! brave to do that, but it will work out. We are planning a 5 week trip in May, also working with two local ladies who can trade off if personal schedule conflicts arise. We have also used professional innsitters with great success, but for shorter trips. Problem there is when business is seasonally slow and you still have to pay someone to keep an empty inn; local sitters can just take off for a few days.

Thanks everybody!
Breakfast Diva said:
Thanks everybody!
JBloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Thanks everybody!
I'm not going to do a big announcement. I've introduced her on my last newsletter (I do them quarterly). I'll be doing more FB posts with her in them. As soon as I get a good picture, I'm going to add her onto our "Innkeepers" page on our website. I think easing her in during the slower times is the way to go. We have many regulars who stay during these next few months who are used to us sometimes being on vacation when they're here. They're a little disappointed, but most of them understand that there's no way we can be there all the time. We typically take a couple vacations Oct - April and hire someone to innsit. Our assistant was the one who was there for 2 weeks this past April and we only heard complimentary things from our guests.

So where in the world are you right now?!? I think you and Banana need to go to exotic place and do a innmate meet up!.
We have a couple trips planned so far. We leave in a week for a sunny southern location to be with family, then China in a couple of months. It'll be fun to explore more of my own state since we've only lived here as innkeepers and never got the opportunity to check out our own incredibly beautiful regions of our state.

So where in the world are you right now?!? I think you and Banana need to go to exotic place and do a innmate meet up!.
We have a couple trips planned so far. We leave in a week for a sunny southern location to be with family, then China in a couple of months. It'll be fun to explore more of my own state since we've only lived here as innkeepers and never got the opportunity to check out our own incredibly beautiful regions of our state.
Glad you are getting out and about and have some plans to see other places.
We had a group of ladies in last night. I took one look at them and was half expecting them to introduce themselves as innkeepers from Innspiring! I don't know why but something made me think innkeepers…..then they left the place ultra clean and a very nice tip…..! Hmm. Anyone here?

Thanks everybody!
Breakfast Diva said:
Thanks everybody!
JBloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Thanks everybody!
I'm not going to do a big announcement. I've introduced her on my last newsletter (I do them quarterly). I'll be doing more FB posts with her in them. As soon as I get a good picture, I'm going to add her onto our "Innkeepers" page on our website. I think easing her in during the slower times is the way to go. We have many regulars who stay during these next few months who are used to us sometimes being on vacation when they're here. They're a little disappointed, but most of them understand that there's no way we can be there all the time. We typically take a couple vacations Oct - April and hire someone to innsit. Our assistant was the one who was there for 2 weeks this past April and we only heard complimentary things from our guests.
Breakfast Diva said:
JBloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Thanks everybody!
Assistant Innkeeper?
I think that is wise. All the best with this! You are my hero, and many more, I am sure.

Back