Tipping.... It's Not Just A Town in China....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tips are nice. Rare, but nice!.
Not that rare... big ones are rare. A few bucks here or there. A pocket full of change (which can still add up around here). But actually quite common around here.
Generic said:
Not that rare... big ones are rare. A few bucks here or there. A pocket full of change (which can still add up around here). But actually quite common around here.
I'm hoping the new housekeeper gets lots of tips but I told her not to expect them. Around here they are like reviews - once in a great while. Any size. $1-2. Spare change. Rarely do we see anything over $5, even for 5-6 day stays.
Put thank you cards and envelopes in the room as close to the door as possible.
Duff2014 said:
On the dresser, right by the door! We often find the card out of the envelope, nothing in the envelope!
Skip the card, make just an envelope...
In the corner, the B&B logo and address. In the middle something like "For the Housekeeper" and in the bottom corner, Thank You. Below that, she should sign her name or write her name in ink. (Also lick the flap and stick it inside so that they don't seal it and it can be reused.)
If they leave, it's extra money, if they don't, well at least they know who she is.
I'll give that a try. We thought having the card that explains when the room will be cleaned helped people get out of the room!
Yeah, then they think the envelope is another way you convey your message. An empty envelope... needs filling, an envelope with something... needs nothing :)
Generic said:
Yeah, then they think the envelope is another way you convey your message. An empty envelope... needs filling, an envelope with something... needs nothing :)
The note does mention using the envelope to leave a tip.

Generic said:
I'm hoping the new housekeeper gets lots of tips but I told her not to expect them. Around here they are like reviews - once in a great while. Any size. $1-2. Spare change. Rarely do we see anything over $5, even for 5-6 day stays.
Duff2014 said:
On the dresser, right by the door! We often find the card out of the envelope, nothing in the envelope!
In the corner, the B&B logo and address. In the middle something like "For the Housekeeper" and in the bottom corner, Thank You. Below that, she should sign her name or write her name in ink. (Also lick the flap and stick it inside so that they don't seal it and it can be reused.)
If they leave, it's extra money, if they don't, well at least they know who she is.
I'll give that a try. We thought having the card that explains when the room will be cleaned helped people get out of the room!
Generic said:
How many years have you been an innkeeper that you still have an expectation that they read ANYTHING?

Generic said:
Duff2014 said:
Generic said:
How many years have you been an innkeeper that you still have an expectation that they read ANYTHING?
We know that they read the first paragraph at least on the stand up card since it says if they need anything like a hair dryer to ask us. Since making the card we have put hair dryers in all the bathroom….. they ask before they even look since the card says…..
med_Picture0520161413_1.jpg

Generic said:
Duff2014 said:
Generic said:
We know that they read the first paragraph at least on the stand up card since it says if they need anything like a hair dryer to ask us. Since making the card we have put hair dryers in all the bathroom….. they ask before they even look since the card says…..

Time to print a new notice then
embaressed_smile.gif

Generic said:
As my daughter's 13 year old friend who came over years ago said and I asked them to go up and help strip the rooms "Would it really KILL them to leave a couple bucks?"

Generic said:
Give her a bonus for ever 5* you get from when she was there. :)
Generic said:
If there is a 5* review it is from the song, dance and magic tricks from the innkeepers.

Generic said:
Generic said:
We get one review/month. That would have to be a hefty bonus!

What's the difference between a B&B guest and a canoe?
Occasionally, a canoe will tip.

Generic said:
Generic said:
We get one review/month. That would have to be a hefty bonus!
She might get them to leave 5* by asking saying she gets a bonus, if she really does a good job :)

Generic said:
Duff2014 said:
Generic said:

Time to print a new notice then
embaressed_smile.gif

I know! But its at the bottom of the list…..

Yes, I'm necroposting...
Guests left me an envelope with a lovely thank you note... with a brownie and 3 greenies... oh happy day!
(This is right after someone left a review on TA that says I talk too much... I was going to mime the day away today!)

Yes, I'm necroposting...
Guests left me an envelope with a lovely thank you note... with a brownie and 3 greenies... oh happy day!
(This is right after someone left a review on TA that says I talk too much... I was going to mime the day away today!).
Happy for you!!!! I hope they also leave you a wonderful five star review! May your day continue to be wonderful!

Yes, I'm necroposting...
(This is right after someone left a review on TA that says I talk too much... I was going to mime the day away today!).
Happy for you!!!! I hope they also leave you a wonderful five star review! May your day continue to be wonderful!
Me too. I'm thinking of wearing duct tape in hopes of helping with reviews that say I talk too much :)

Yes, I'm necroposting...
Me too. I'm thinking of wearing duct tape in hopes of helping with reviews that say I talk too much :)
Well, I don't know… What about a review like this, "Generic was a wonderful host except that he had duct tape all over his face. It sure was weird and we had to communicate through writing and hand motion. It was totally disappointing since we were looking so forward to hearing all his wonderful stories and jokes that we read about in reviews…." At least if you go that route use clear or white. But I can see you going off in some exotic color or pattern!!!!!
shades_smile.gif

Yes, I'm necroposting...
Well, I don't know… What about a review like this, "Generic was a wonderful host except that he had duct tape all over his face. It sure was weird and we had to communicate through writing and hand motion. It was totally disappointing since we were looking so forward to hearing all his wonderful stories and jokes that we read about in reviews…." At least if you go that route use clear or white. But I can see you going off in some exotic color or pattern!!!!!
shades_smile.gif

Duct-Tape-Mouth.jpg

Generic said:
Oh happy day.... Of the three rooms that checked out today, 2 left tips. The single night left a nice green tip. And the one that was here for almost a week... a brown tip. It's a good day!
I am waiting to hear their country of origin.
shades_smile.gif

Generic said:
Oh happy day.... Of the three rooms that checked out today, 2 left tips. The single night left a nice green tip. And the one that was here for almost a week... a brown tip. It's a good day!
shades_smile.gif
The ones from a few weeks ago were from this side of the border, the ones from yesterday were from the other side of the border... in fact, your old state.

Generic said:
shades_smile.gif
The ones from a few weeks ago were from this side of the border, the ones from yesterday were from the other side of the border... in fact, your old state.
Generic said:
I was only asking about these ones, the ones you spoke of today. Give us props man, give them to us...go on it won't hurt, or it will only hurt a little bit, I promise.

Yes, I'm necroposting...
shades_smile.gif

Duct-Tape-Mouth.jpg

Just plain gray? How boring.

Back