To charge or not to charge?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh JB, that's horrific! I'm so sorry you had to deal with this. Her pretending ignorance is just more insult to the injury.
You handled the situation as well as you could. You and your DH are definitely not wimps!

Next question: Do you know where to purchase the b.b. protectors that aren't noisy, and that I can walk into the store on Monday to purchase? I think I have seen them at 'stuffmart' but were more like rubber sheets. I know most of you purchase them online.
Will need the bed put back together for guests (fortunately have a day to do it), have part 1 of the linens in the washer right now. So much for father's day celebrations...

Next question: Do you know where to purchase the b.b. protectors that aren't noisy, and that I can walk into the store on Monday to purchase? I think I have seen them at 'stuffmart' but were more like rubber sheets. I know most of you purchase them online.
Will need the bed put back together for guests (fortunately have a day to do it), have part 1 of the linens in the washer right now. So much for father's day celebrations....
JBloggs said:
Will need the bed put back together for guests (fortunately have a day to do it), have part 1 of the linens in the washer right now. So much for father's day celebrations...
I purchase mine online but I just did a search and it looks like BB&B has them. Hope there is one near you. I would call to make sure they are not the rubber style ones.

Update: They arrived back at the inn very late from their visit. This morning only one came to breakfast, and I had a sign taped inside of the front door to see the innkeepers to settle up, turn in your keys before you check out.
She acted like she had no idea about it. Listen, there were urinated saturated PANTS hanging on the towel rack, reeking up the bathroom.
Anyway, she agreed to pay it, but...did not have enough $ on the card. I had printed out a statement for her to sign and agreement to pay the amount, with all pertinent info, and she had to sign two copies - one for us and one for her. We have a date to run her card but I am not happy about that, at all. I do feel bad for her, it was her friend/sister and it was accidental. But for the world to read who is reading this OPEN forum (just kidding) consider leaving a note, and mentioning that is happened, like "We are so sorry, we had an accident in the bed" or to that effect. Not mentioning it was the biggest sin imo.
We are not charging for our time, or fuel. All of this has caused a huge headache for us, oh and happy father's day - can you deal with a room who urinated in the bed at check out please.
BTW we won't know if it happened again until we go into the room. (Update: Went in and they took the mattress protector with them. Interesting. DH is outside with the memory foam topper with that Dawn Platinum that an innmate told us worked well on all sorts of things, in a spray bottle and is physically on his hands and knees scrubbing it.)
INNKEEPING AIN'T FOR WIMPS.
angry_smile.gif
. Hope they do follow through with paying.
They took the mattress protector? Wonder why that is? That is theft on top of damages done.

I am late to the game on this one...so sorry you had to go through this but it looks like you handled it well. Whenever we have "elderly" people staying, usually requesting our large first floor suite, I put a layer of disposable pads between the sheet and mattress pad across the middle of the bed where an accident is likely to be located. It has saved me hours of work. I know that this is a judgement call, since not all elderly have a problem and some younger people may be the major offenders, but having cared for a few elderly woman I have seen that incontinence is not all that unusual.

Will need the bed put back together for guests (fortunately have a day to do it), have part 1 of the linens in the washer right now. So much for father's day celebrations....
We like the ones from Clean brands and from SafeRest. The "Allerease" are okay. But they need to have a quilted mattress protector on them to make them more comfortable. Most of these are woven to 2 microns or less and some are vinyl. The zipper should be covered and not exposed.

I just purchased full encasements from SafeRest for two of my beds (haven't got around to getting the others yet). Sign up for a wholesale account and they are very reasonably priced. I think I paid about $140 for one queen and one king bed (mattress and box spring encasement). It took maybe three days to get them, and shipping was reasonable. I still have a protector on top of the encasement because if there is an accident, I do NOT want to have to take that full encasement off. It wasn't all that much fun putting them on myself.

Did you charge her for the mattress protector? I'm betting that's why they took it. You handled it well, but again...am so sorry you're dealing with this.

Update: They arrived back at the inn very late from their visit. This morning only one came to breakfast, and I had a sign taped inside of the front door to see the innkeepers to settle up, turn in your keys before you check out.
She acted like she had no idea about it. Listen, there were urinated saturated PANTS hanging on the towel rack, reeking up the bathroom.
Anyway, she agreed to pay it, but...did not have enough $ on the card. I had printed out a statement for her to sign and agreement to pay the amount, with all pertinent info, and she had to sign two copies - one for us and one for her. We have a date to run her card but I am not happy about that, at all. I do feel bad for her, it was her friend/sister and it was accidental. But for the world to read who is reading this OPEN forum (just kidding) consider leaving a note, and mentioning that is happened, like "We are so sorry, we had an accident in the bed" or to that effect. Not mentioning it was the biggest sin imo.
We are not charging for our time, or fuel. All of this has caused a huge headache for us, oh and happy father's day - can you deal with a room who urinated in the bed at check out please.
BTW we won't know if it happened again until we go into the room. (Update: Went in and they took the mattress protector with them. Interesting. DH is outside with the memory foam topper with that Dawn Platinum that an innmate told us worked well on all sorts of things, in a spray bottle and is physically on his hands and knees scrubbing it.)
INNKEEPING AIN'T FOR WIMPS.
I'm going to be awful and suggest that the evidence was taken with them and to expect a chargeback.
Glad you did the paperwork and copies.

Late to the discussion & I see you did charge them. Good for you!
I stuck to charging at check-in after we had a serious incident with damaged linens. Had guests sign the registration form at check-in with the new agreement clause about being charged for damages to linens or room furnishings after that incident, and another with the damage to an antique sofa.
Unfortunately, it made me sad to become so business like about these things but I do think it helped.
So, so, so very sorry that this happened to you...and on a holiday weekend. :-(

JBloggs said:
I purchase mine online but I just did a search and it looks like BB&B has them. Hope there is one near you. I would call to make sure they are not the rubber style ones.
stuffmart has the waterproof soft feel (vs rubber sheets) B-B-uhhhh-g covers. $49 here.

JBloggs said:
stuffmart has the waterproof soft feel (vs rubber sheets) B-B-uhhhh-g covers. $49 here.
Sold.png

It is all part of being in the people business, the good with the bad. Hopefully the good outweighs the bad.

UPDATE on the situation here ... (sorry JB, I can't find my thread)
The owner was livid - I don't think she understood how bad it was until she arrived to inspect the mattress. It's one of those things where you've got to experience it to understand. But she calmed down and went right to work.
New mattress and box spring installed. New pad, new encasement (heavy duty) new sheets. ALL beds are getting the new protection and she's done up a little bedside card I haven't read yet that mentions this issue.
The ladies have paid ... not the full price of replacement but a good sum ... but of course they are not happy. Each said they can't imagine how that happened. That maybe the other spilled a cup of tea! The pictures of the powder coated mattress swayed them ... I walked around with my cell phone camera and videod it.
So they want the mattress and box spring. They own them now. Someone from their family in the area is coming to pick them up and will use them. I hope it works out for them ... with family, you take your chances with whatever odor might be there. With paying guests ... no way. The sheets, case, all have been laundered and are packed up next to the mattress set. They can have them. The pillows too ... a freebie thrown in.
aaaahhhh ...
And, yes, innspirings and guests reading the forum ... if there is an incontinence issue, you cannot expect an innkeeper to 'absorb' the cost. Feeling wicked.
devil_smile.gif

I stuck to charging at check-in after we had a serious incident with damaged linens. Had guests sign the registration form at check-in with the new agreement clause about being charged for damages to linens or room furnishings after that incident, and another with the damage to an antique sofa.
Unfortunately, it made me sad to become so business like about these things but I do think it helped.
So, so, so very sorry that this happened to you...and on a holiday weekend. :-(.
We don't have a registration form. We ask their names, check if they owe money and show them their room.
I have read the incidences - including this one - and see the reasoning. But we are still erring on the welcoming, home away from home side.
So far, so good. Fingers crossed.

So, so, so very sorry that this happened to you...and on a holiday weekend. :-(.
We don't have a registration form. We ask their names, check if they owe money and show them their room.
I have read the incidences - including this one - and see the reasoning. But we are still erring on the welcoming, home away from home side.
TheBeachHouse said:
I'm required by the state to get a signature on the dotted line of a registration form. (Or so we were told. But no one from the state has ever asked to see the paperwork.) Also, it lays out the parameters of the stay - how much the room is, the length of stay, lodging tax, etc. If the guest does not vacate they can say they 'didn't know' how long they were staying. (Seriously.)

A registration form was what guest fill out when reservation made. I printed out and had them sign when they signed in aNd signed cc form

The owner was livid - I don't think she understood how bad it was until she arrived to inspect the mattress. It's one of those things where you've got to experience it to understand. But she calmed down and went right to work.
New mattress and box spring installed. New pad, new encasement (heavy duty) new sheets. ALL beds are getting the new protection and she's done up a little bedside card I haven't read yet that mentions this issue.
The ladies have paid ... not the full price of replacement but a good sum ... but of course they are not happy. Each said they can't imagine how that happened. That maybe the other spilled a cup of tea! The pictures of the powder coated mattress swayed them ... I walked around with my cell phone camera and videod it.
So they want the mattress and box spring. They own them now. Someone from their family in the area is coming to pick them up and will use them. I hope it works out for them ... with family, you take your chances with whatever odor might be there. With paying guests ... no way. The sheets, case, all have been laundered and are packed up next to the mattress set. They can have them. The pillows too ... a freebie thrown in.
aaaahhhh ...
And, yes, innspirings and guests reading the forum ... if there is an incontinence issue, you cannot expect an innkeeper to 'absorb' the cost. Feeling wicked.
devil_smile.gif
devil_smile.gif
LOL they won't keeping it once they get a whiff

aaaahhhh ...
devil_smile.gif
that's the trouble - I would know you enough to know you were not over-reacting and crack on - some people just don't get how disgusting our industry is sometimes.
Eg friend emailed out this morning for an emergency carpeting cleaning service - couple booked in by social service (he didn't know this) turned up with a baby (don't know if he knew this) looks like they have put the baby down naked on the carped and sloppy poo is all over in patches!

A registration form was what guest fill out when reservation made. I printed out and had them sign when they signed in aNd signed cc form
we have that. we do all reservations on line.

Back