To charge or not to charge?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE on the situation here ... (sorry JB, I can't find my thread)
The owner was livid - I don't think she understood how bad it was until she arrived to inspect the mattress. It's one of those things where you've got to experience it to understand. But she calmed down and went right to work.
New mattress and box spring installed. New pad, new encasement (heavy duty) new sheets. ALL beds are getting the new protection and she's done up a little bedside card I haven't read yet that mentions this issue.
The ladies have paid ... not the full price of replacement but a good sum ... but of course they are not happy. Each said they can't imagine how that happened. That maybe the other spilled a cup of tea! The pictures of the powder coated mattress swayed them ... I walked around with my cell phone camera and videod it.
So they want the mattress and box spring. They own them now. Someone from their family in the area is coming to pick them up and will use them. I hope it works out for them ... with family, you take your chances with whatever odor might be there. With paying guests ... no way. The sheets, case, all have been laundered and are packed up next to the mattress set. They can have them. The pillows too ... a freebie thrown in.
aaaahhhh ...
And, yes, innspirings and guests reading the forum ... if there is an incontinence issue, you cannot expect an innkeeper to 'absorb' the cost. Feeling wicked.
devil_smile.gif
Yay! Sounds like it was all sorted properly.
Hopefully, the ladies have addressed their personal issue as well for the future.

The owner was livid - I don't think she understood how bad it was until she arrived to inspect the mattress. It's one of those things where you've got to experience it to understand. But she calmed down and went right to work.
New mattress and box spring installed. New pad, new encasement (heavy duty) new sheets. ALL beds are getting the new protection and she's done up a little bedside card I haven't read yet that mentions this issue.
The ladies have paid ... not the full price of replacement but a good sum ... but of course they are not happy. Each said they can't imagine how that happened. That maybe the other spilled a cup of tea! The pictures of the powder coated mattress swayed them ... I walked around with my cell phone camera and videod it.
So they want the mattress and box spring. They own them now. Someone from their family in the area is coming to pick them up and will use them. I hope it works out for them ... with family, you take your chances with whatever odor might be there. With paying guests ... no way. The sheets, case, all have been laundered and are packed up next to the mattress set. They can have them. The pillows too ... a freebie thrown in.
aaaahhhh ...
And, yes, innspirings and guests reading the forum ... if there is an incontinence issue, you cannot expect an innkeeper to 'absorb' the cost. Feeling wicked.
devil_smile.gif
Try to talk her out of that bedside card. If I read something that mentioned incontinence or paying if you wet the mattress or anything like that I would be horribly uncomfortable.
No way you wouldn't wonder if an accident had happened in your bed.
It's like eating at a restaurant - it's best not to get into the details of what goes on that you don't see.

aaaahhhh ...
devil_smile.gif
I agree. She doesn't want the card to say about the accident. If I read something like that I would strip the bed and sniff it all over before I sat on it. It's a done deal and the mattresses are gone forever. I'm so sorry it happened to you two.

I'd like her to join this forum! Such great advice ... Then again, maybe I wouldn't as this forum is 'mine'
devil_smile.gif

Late to the discussion & I see you did charge them. Good for you!
I stuck to charging at check-in after we had a serious incident with damaged linens. Had guests sign the registration form at check-in with the new agreement clause about being charged for damages to linens or room furnishings after that incident, and another with the damage to an antique sofa.
Unfortunately, it made me sad to become so business like about these things but I do think it helped.
So, so, so very sorry that this happened to you...and on a holiday weekend. :-(.
We don't have a registration form. We ask their names, check if they owe money and show them their room.
I have read the incidences - including this one - and see the reasoning. But we are still erring on the welcoming, home away from home side.
So far, so good. Fingers crossed.
A registration form was what guest fill out when reservation made. I printed out and had them sign when they signed in aNd signed cc form
Confused. If guests make booking thru Agent, and complete that form, why do we need to print out one for them to sign?

Next question: Do you know where to purchase the b.b. protectors that aren't noisy, and that I can walk into the store on Monday to purchase? I think I have seen them at 'stuffmart' but were more like rubber sheets. I know most of you purchase them online.
Will need the bed put back together for guests (fortunately have a day to do it), have part 1 of the linens in the washer right now. So much for father's day celebrations....
The best protectors I have found at BB&B. They cost over $100. Each but worth every penny. All our mattresses have one. They also keep bugs out.
Not all protectors are good in spite of the advertising hype!

Late to the discussion & I see you did charge them. Good for you!
I stuck to charging at check-in after we had a serious incident with damaged linens. Had guests sign the registration form at check-in with the new agreement clause about being charged for damages to linens or room furnishings after that incident, and another with the damage to an antique sofa.
Unfortunately, it made me sad to become so business like about these things but I do think it helped.
So, so, so very sorry that this happened to you...and on a holiday weekend. :-(.
We don't have a registration form. We ask their names, check if they owe money and show them their room.
I have read the incidences - including this one - and see the reasoning. But we are still erring on the welcoming, home away from home side.
So far, so good. Fingers crossed.
A registration form was what guest fill out when reservation made. I printed out and had them sign when they signed in aNd signed cc form
Confused. If guests make booking thru Agent, and complete that form, why do we need to print out one for them to sign?
Audrey Forrest said:
My particular state requires that a guest signs the registration and agrees to the terms of the stay. That's just the way it is. In my case, they are also then agreeing to terms of service. It helps when they decide they'd rather sleep in until 2, when they were supposed to vacate at 11.

Next question: Do you know where to purchase the b.b. protectors that aren't noisy, and that I can walk into the store on Monday to purchase? I think I have seen them at 'stuffmart' but were more like rubber sheets. I know most of you purchase them online.
Will need the bed put back together for guests (fortunately have a day to do it), have part 1 of the linens in the washer right now. So much for father's day celebrations....
The best protectors I have found at BB&B. They cost over $100. Each but worth every penny. All our mattresses have one. They also keep bugs out.
Audrey Forrest said:
The same ones are available from the wholesaler for around $35. If you need them again, go that route. I had to get 9 of them so it saved me quite a lot.

aaaahhhh ...
devil_smile.gif
So Glad all worked out for her. If B&B owner did not get paid in full.From said guest. Could they not claim it through their insurance company. Or do they not have insurance for B&B?

aaaahhhh ...
devil_smile.gif
So Glad all worked out for her. If B&B owner did not get paid in full.From said guest. Could they not claim it through their insurance company. Or do they not have insurance for B&B?
sometimes the deductible is more than the mattress ie mine is $1200 as anything less than that we would just buy it and makes our premiums lower.

aaaahhhh ...
devil_smile.gif
sometimes the deductible is more than the mattress ie mine is $1200 as anything less than that we would just buy it and makes our premiums lower.
Thank you for answering my question J cam.

aaaahhhh ...
devil_smile.gif
Thank you for answering my question J cam.
No worries - touch wood we never get to that! but if we claimed for the small stuff our premiums would be sky high so its evaluating in each case which is cost effective ie new $300 mattress VS $100 per year or more on our premium (we have 10 years no claims) which is best? up to each property and individual case of damage. Plus don't know if its the same in USA but in theory I could take them to small claims court where you represent yourself (its like a $50 fee to do so) and the judge decides so you don't need any legal training so would go that route first before claiming as its cheaper and as long as you have strong evidence you would win - but like I said USA would be a whole different legal ball of wax - also court house is an easy walk from our house so not too honourous where as if they had to come here etc would be a right faff on for them if nothing else!

Back