To respond or not to respond, that's the big question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am at a loss for words. The review is odd ... petty and spiteful and personal. Do you know this person?
I would likely not respond because the review is hurtful and my hurt would probably show which this person seems to be looking for?
broken_heart.gif
Yes, I know who it is. Can I prove it? Nope. Matters not. I'm composing a reply now that is probably shorter and sweeter than is warranted. 10 years ago I would have flamed the reviewer but I'm a different person now.
Would not call your response "sweet". Good news is, you haven't lost a partial Owl Eye nor has it affected your ranking. Curious if the perpetrator was a he or a she?
We did lose a place when the review went up, but we gained it back again overnight. But one never knows with TA when the algorithm will bite. Who wrote the review? Best guess is a family group. I think they're all taking turns. But, no, they did not stay when they stated they did.
The algorithm used to shift sometime between Tuesdays & Wednesdays. Seems to be a bit more fluid these days. We dropped to #2 after our 2-eyed review, but immediately topped it off with 3 more good reviews just like you, and are momentarily back to #1 in the overall area, though likely will not last.

I am at a loss for words. The review is odd ... petty and spiteful and personal. Do you know this person?
I would likely not respond because the review is hurtful and my hurt would probably show which this person seems to be looking for?
broken_heart.gif
Yes, I know who it is. Can I prove it? Nope. Matters not. I'm composing a reply now that is probably shorter and sweeter than is warranted. 10 years ago I would have flamed the reviewer but I'm a different person now.
Your reply is great...it certainly would satisfy me if I were reading the reviews, looking for a quality place to stay. A review like that is obviously a grudge review, trying to be as nasty and vindictive as possible. Your reply was level headed and did not dignify the review with anything other than acknowledgment that you read it. Good for you! I don't think I could be as cool under that kind of nastiness.
thumbs_up.gif

broken_heart.gif
Your reply is great...it certainly would satisfy me if I were reading the reviews, looking for a quality place to stay. A review like that is obviously a grudge review, trying to be as nasty and vindictive as possible. Your reply was level headed and did not dignify the review with anything other than acknowledgment that you read it. Good for you! I don't think I could be as cool under that kind of nastiness.
thumbs_up.gif

I had help. Partly in the wording and partly tying my hands behind my back until could see straight again. ;-)

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate how everyone jumped in to help.

I'm a late comer to this discussion, so I hope that your ears aren't still steaming!
So sorry this happened to you. The review is obviously aimed right at you in a personal attack. Just reinforces the notion that people will write all kinds of stuff when they think they're anonymous instead of addressing any issue (perceived or real) head on at the time.
TA is wrong to let this attack review stand. Sorry that it wasn't pulled. Hang in there!!

I'm a late comer to this discussion, so I hope that your ears aren't still steaming!
So sorry this happened to you. The review is obviously aimed right at you in a personal attack. Just reinforces the notion that people will write all kinds of stuff when they think they're anonymous instead of addressing any issue (perceived or real) head on at the time.
TA is wrong to let this attack review stand. Sorry that it wasn't pulled. Hang in there!!.
I read it again today and was wondering, by the mention of the other inns, whether it was written by a friend of another innkeeper.

TA is wrong to let this attack review stand. Sorry that it wasn't pulled. Hang in there!!.
I read it again today and was wondering, by the mention of the other inns, whether it was written by a friend of another innkeeper.
Happend to us. We only have one 2 star (the 1 star was written by a crazy woman from England who refused to honor her reservation because of weather and wanted all her money back) - it was written the week a competing inn opened their new restaurant. It mentions them and gave us a two saying my breakfast was dry, he wished he stayed at the other inn and enjoyed their dinner as well. Written by a guy from an area we never had anyone from, and in 10 years it's the only post the jerk ever wrote. Same inn was caught telling guests that there was no place else nice to stay in our Town, that they'd never recommend us, and sent them to an inn over the state line. Those guests wanted to stay in our Town to golf and called and booked with us and told us after their second day what these innkeepers said. Now of course these innkeepers were paid innkeepers who had to up their bookings for their bonus. But if you're full, then why do it.

TheBeachHouse said:
The short answer is no. The long answer is ta is working with us.

Happend to us. We only have one 2 star (the 1 star was written by a crazy woman from England who refused to honor her reservation because of weather and wanted all her money back) - it was written the week a competing inn opened their new restaurant. It mentions them and gave us a two saying my breakfast was dry, he wished he stayed at the other inn and enjoyed their dinner as well. Written by a guy from an area we never had anyone from, and in 10 years it's the only post the jerk ever wrote. Same inn was caught telling guests that there was no place else nice to stay in our Town, that they'd never recommend us, and sent them to an inn over the state line. Those guests wanted to stay in our Town to golf and called and booked with us and told us after their second day what these innkeepers said. Now of course these innkeepers were paid innkeepers who had to up their bookings for their bonus. But if you're full, then why do it.
Now of course these innkeepers were paid innkeepers who had to up their bookings for their bonus. But if you're full, then why do it.
For fear that they would like you if they stayed with you and then ALWAYS book with you. The other inn may not be a threat as it was out of town.

Now of course these innkeepers were paid innkeepers who had to up their bookings for their bonus. But if you're full, then why do it.
For fear that they would like you if they stayed with you and then ALWAYS book with you. The other inn may not be a threat as it was out of town.
So short sighted. I love our innkeeper association. We market the town so that people keep coming and we recommend each other so they don't leave unhappy.

TheBeachHouse said:
The short answer is no. The long answer is ta is working with us.
So happy to hear this. I flagged it too.

People read the bad ones, but they're pretty savvy about them. Even when they click to read the 1-stars, they usually click on the reviewer's name to see if they're a crab. If you're their only bad review, it gets noticed, but if many of their reviews are generally pissy, people figure out its the guest, not the host..
I do now too. If obviously a good place and one stink review - I know it's the guest and I read for amusement. I doubt I'm alone in that, so now I know that my management response (when it happens) will be the most-read bit of prose I'm ever to write in my life.
wink_smile.gif

People read the bad ones, but they're pretty savvy about them. Even when they click to read the 1-stars, they usually click on the reviewer's name to see if they're a crab. If you're their only bad review, it gets noticed, but if many of their reviews are generally pissy, people figure out its the guest, not the host..
I do now too. If obviously a good place and one stink review - I know it's the guest and I read for amusement. I doubt I'm alone in that, so now I know that my management response (when it happens) will be the most-read bit of prose I'm ever to write in my life.
wink_smile.gif

I always read the bad reviews, too. I hadn't thought about the response being my most famous writing. A little intimidating!

wink_smile.gif

Anon Inn said:
, so now I know that my management response (when it happens) will be the most-read bit of prose I'm ever to write in my life.
wink_smile.gif
Absolutely! That's why those are the things that go viral. For good or bad. I try to be bland on TA.

So short sighted. I love our innkeeper association. We market the town so that people keep coming and we recommend each other so they don't leave unhappy.
Are you all owners? I found that the owners do that, except Mr. Snob as everyone refers to him as everyone is so low classed compared to him. The paid innkeepers don't seem to do it.

Are you all owners? I found that the owners do that, except Mr. Snob as everyone refers to him as everyone is so low classed compared to him. The paid innkeepers don't seem to do it.
Yes. We are all owners.
We have a couple of innkeepers who do not join the group. They don't believe they need it. And I have to say, their location makes it so they pretty much can't lose.

Back