To respond or not to respond, that's the big question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People read the bad ones, but they're pretty savvy about them. Even when they click to read the 1-stars, they usually click on the reviewer's name to see if they're a crab. If you're their only bad review, it gets noticed, but if many of their reviews are generally pissy, people figure out its the guest, not the host..
I do now too. If obviously a good place and one stink review - I know it's the guest and I read for amusement. I doubt I'm alone in that, so now I know that my management response (when it happens) will be the most-read bit of prose I'm ever to write in my life.
wink_smile.gif

In that light, don't respond right away….

I had another of those guests that we bent over backwards for and still found things to complain about. Mostly it seems they resented the gratuity we automatically add to our rooms, which is clearly mentioned on our website, when they book, on their email confirmation and on their bill.
This was as close as I come to a snarky response. I think i skated up to the line but didn't cross over it. Maybe you might think differently. (And yes, I waited 24 hours before posting!)
REVIEW:
We stayed for one night and found the accommodations and the locale to be pleasing.
We loved the bathroom design, though we wished for some kind of hook in the shower enclosure. The rooms and common areas are decorated with a flair for detail and thematic value. The rooms in the hotel, to be fair are maybe a bit undersized--, dwarfed by the four poster. We asked for a change from the Red Room to the Green Room. The Red Room just had a very cramped feel and the window was blocked almost completely by the bed. The rooms in the outbuildings were larger, but we prefer staying in a main house.
We have stayed in numerous B&Bs. This was the first time a charge for gratuity was added to our bill. We were in a great hurry to get to a kayak tour so we could not address this issue at the time of payment. But if you stay here be prepared to pay a total of 24% in addition to the quoted room rate. We expected the 9% rooms and meals tax
but have never had a gratuity added. We usually tip our breakfast server and the maid depending on the level of service. But we strongly object to a 15% gratuity based on the
entire room rate. We would gladly have recognized Barb, who graciously volunteered to
prepare sausage and eggs breakfast a bit early so we could get on the road. We avoid gluten to the extent possible. We ended up with waffles and bacon.
Upon checking we did find that the website indicates the 15% gratuity. It is not clearly stated that this applies to the entire room rate and not service related to meals or
housekeeping as is usually understood. I guess this means that we are giving the owners and everyone else connected with the business a tip.
This left a bad taste in an otherwise very satisfying stay.
Room Tip: Rooms in the main house are small. If you want larger specify the carriage house.
REPLY:
We're glad you enjoyed your one-night stay and glad you found our locale and decor so pleasing. We were happy we were able to accommodate your last-minute booking for the Red Room, and were also pleased that when you expressed an interest in moving to the Green Room upon your arrival, we were able to adjust other guests' reservations to give you what you wanted. There's a tiny difference in room size (120 square feet vs. 125 square feet), but we're glad we were able to give you the room you wanted. You're correct that our Carriage House and River House suites are much, much bigger, and we're sorry you didn't consider upgrading to one of them. If you come back, I strongly suggest you consider them.
We're sorry you didn't take the time to recognize that we do charge guests the 9% Vermont state Lodging Tax, as required by law, and a 15% gratuity for our service staff. This information, as you noted, is clearly mentioned on our website, as well as the two email confirmations you received when you booked your room, so I'm not sure how you could consider that "small print."
When guests book with us, we always ask them, "do you have any food allergies or preferences we should know about?" I wish you'd spoken up at that time about your preference to avoid gluten, or when we first greeted you at breakfast time (which we were happy to move up 30 minutes to accommodate your schedule). We *always* offer our guests the choice of eggs-to-order instead of our regularly scheduled breakfast item, so I wish you'd let us know. We don't want anyone to have a breakfast they don't enjoy.
Again, sorry our charging the room tax and gratuity left a bad taste in your mouth, and hope we have another chance to provide you with a better experience in the future.

Avoid gluten and they ended up with waffles? what?!.
I think they're saying they wanted to avoid gluten, but didn't get the eggs they requested instead. As I noted, we always ask if guests would rather have eggs-to-order instead of what we're offering. I think they were trying to round up a few additional things to complain about, because we always ask.

I had another of those guests that we bent over backwards for and still found things to complain about. Mostly it seems they resented the gratuity we automatically add to our rooms, which is clearly mentioned on our website, when they book, on their email confirmation and on their bill.
This was as close as I come to a snarky response. I think i skated up to the line but didn't cross over it. Maybe you might think differently. (And yes, I waited 24 hours before posting!)
REVIEW:
We stayed for one night and found the accommodations and the locale to be pleasing.
We loved the bathroom design, though we wished for some kind of hook in the shower enclosure. The rooms and common areas are decorated with a flair for detail and thematic value. The rooms in the hotel, to be fair are maybe a bit undersized--, dwarfed by the four poster. We asked for a change from the Red Room to the Green Room. The Red Room just had a very cramped feel and the window was blocked almost completely by the bed. The rooms in the outbuildings were larger, but we prefer staying in a main house.
We have stayed in numerous B&Bs. This was the first time a charge for gratuity was added to our bill. We were in a great hurry to get to a kayak tour so we could not address this issue at the time of payment. But if you stay here be prepared to pay a total of 24% in addition to the quoted room rate. We expected the 9% rooms and meals tax
but have never had a gratuity added. We usually tip our breakfast server and the maid depending on the level of service. But we strongly object to a 15% gratuity based on the
entire room rate. We would gladly have recognized Barb, who graciously volunteered to
prepare sausage and eggs breakfast a bit early so we could get on the road. We avoid gluten to the extent possible. We ended up with waffles and bacon.
Upon checking we did find that the website indicates the 15% gratuity. It is not clearly stated that this applies to the entire room rate and not service related to meals or
housekeeping as is usually understood. I guess this means that we are giving the owners and everyone else connected with the business a tip.
Room Tip: Rooms in the main house are small. If you want larger specify the carriage house.
REPLY:
We're glad you enjoyed your one-night stay and glad you found our locale and decor so pleasing. We were happy we were able to accommodate your last-minute booking for the Red Room, and were also pleased that when you expressed an interest in moving to the Green Room upon your arrival, we were able to adjust other guests' reservations to give you what you wanted. There's a tiny difference in room size (120 square feet vs. 125 square feet), but we're glad we were able to give you the room you wanted. You're correct that our Carriage House and River House suites are much, much bigger, and we're sorry you didn't consider upgrading to one of them. If you come back, I strongly suggest you consider them.
We're sorry you didn't take the time to recognize that we do charge guests the 9% Vermont state Lodging Tax, as required by law, and a 15% gratuity for our service staff. This information, as you noted, is clearly mentioned on our website, as well as the two email confirmations you received when you booked your room, so I'm not sure how you could consider that "small print."
When guests book with us, we always ask them, "do you have any food allergies or preferences we should know about?" I wish you'd spoken up at that time about your preference to avoid gluten, or when we first greeted you at breakfast time (which we were happy to move up 30 minutes to accommodate your schedule). We *always* offer our guests the choice of eggs-to-order instead of our regularly scheduled breakfast item, so I wish you'd let us know. We don't want anyone to have a breakfast they don't enjoy.
Again, sorry our charging the room tax and gratuity left a bad taste in your mouth, and hope we have another chance to provide you with a better experience in the future..
One night and last minute bookers tend to be on the hard to please side, don't usually tip, want an early check in and/or late check out…… (Why didn't they book the other room in the first place?) If they plan ahead and stay longer, they will enjoy themselves better! Sorry about how the people ruined their vacation by not reading everything before booking…. doubt they would have tipped the breakfast lady or the maid since they were so mad about the extra tip on their bill.

Avoid gluten and they ended up with waffles? what?!.
I think they're saying they wanted to avoid gluten, but didn't get the eggs they requested instead. As I noted, we always ask if guests would rather have eggs-to-order instead of what we're offering. I think they were trying to round up a few additional things to complain about, because we always ask.
One spousal unit makes the booking and deals with the paper. The other whips out the card and gets the surprise. You of course, take the fall for their lack of communication with each other. Your response is informative for other guests intending to book, not a bit snarky IMO

REVIEW:
REPLY:
Again, sorry our charging the room tax and gratuity left a bad taste in your mouth, and hope we have another chance to provide you with a better experience in the future..
You were very gracious in your reply.
I do believe that sometimes it is lack of communication from the one that made the reservation and the one that pays the bill.

Just received a letter from him demanding the entire 15% gratuity ($23) be charged back to his account. Took the time to write a whole big letter and mail it off to me. Took the time to calculate out the math and everything.
Apparently, this guy runs the nordic center at a New Hampshire ski area and must have lots of time on his hands this time of year. According to his TA profile, he and his wife have enough money to travel to the Caribbean and Mexico several times a year. All this for $23. Just wow.
BTW, the first time since we've owned the B&B that anyone has every expressed an issue with it.

Just received a letter from him demanding the entire 15% gratuity ($23) be charged back to his account. Took the time to write a whole big letter and mail it off to me. Took the time to calculate out the math and everything.
Apparently, this guy runs the nordic center at a New Hampshire ski area and must have lots of time on his hands this time of year. According to his TA profile, he and his wife have enough money to travel to the Caribbean and Mexico several times a year. All this for $23. Just wow.
BTW, the first time since we've owned the B&B that anyone has every expressed an issue with it..
Tell him that his $23 dollars was split between his breakfast server and maid since he forgot to tip them as he stated in his review that he always does. So you cannot return the money but you are going out the door to buy a hook for the bathroom so it will be there on his next visit.

BTW, the first time since we've owned the B&B that anyone has every expressed an issue with it..
Tell him that his $23 dollars was split between his breakfast server and maid since he forgot to tip them as he stated in his review that he always does. So you cannot return the money but you are going out the door to buy a hook for the bathroom so it will be there on his next visit.
Duff2014 said:
Ok, there is no way I would leave anyone a tip after being charged a 15% service fee.
I'm really surprised this is the first time someone has balked at paying that fee. I don't leave a 15% gratuity anywhere other than a restaurant where I know it's part of the server's income.

REVIEW:
REPLY:
He gave you an overview star rating of three stars but all the bottom ones are five stars, so even though he is mad about the added tip, he was nice to you.

Phineas ... why not refund the gratuity and be done with it? As you say just for $23.
I would likely have read the whole thing, seen the added in gratuity policy and not stayed with you. I understand for large parties but not for just me. Running my place I paid very, very well and told staff not to expect or depend on tips. They made more than I did. I had title, but not personal money.

OK, I have kept my mouth shut on the tip question so far. We had a member of our association who was whining about lack of heads in beds. Since he had asked me for an opinion, I looked at his website (which was pretty much from hunger but I said nothing about that) and he had that there was a 15% gratuity added to the bill. I asked him if he was a restaurant as only restaurants added a gratuity.
I am sorry, but I would not expect a gratuity added to my bill at a B &B - restaurant, banquet hall, bar for large parties, but not a B & B. If anything, call it a resort fee - THAT I would bet he is accustomed to seeing. The rich get rich (and stay that way) by watching the pennies. The pennies become dollars which look after themselves.

Duff2014 said:
Ok, there is no way I would leave anyone a tip after being charged a 15% service fee.
I'm really surprised this is the first time someone has balked at paying that fee. I don't leave a 15% gratuity anywhere other than a restaurant where I know it's part of the server's income.
Morticia said:
Duff2014 said:
If it is well stated, then the guests have two choices: stay and pay, or go somewhere else. If it was included I wouldn't tip either since I already did. We don't even have a cleaning fee on air, but that is our choice. (I figured out my tips I got average to about 4%. Sometimes 0% My aunt and I do a guessing game on who will tip of our guests.) PS runs their place differently and its up to the guests to decide to stay and pay or go away to somewhere else. If I liked the place well enough, I would stay and pay.
I agree with Gillum to call it a resort fee or service fee, etc instead.

We certainly may have had people choose not to stay with us because of the added gratuity, but because so many of our guests, especially from across the border, don't tip, it was added by the PO's. We liked it and kept the process.
We've had more than 1,200 sets of guests stay with us in the past 3 years, and none have balked or complained. The fact that we're very upfront about it at the time of booking, at check-in and at check-out means no one should be surprised.
I don't like "resort fee" or "service fee" only because it sounds like it goes into my pockets instead of my hardworking staff's pockets. I think I'll keep it as it is. I like the idea about saying I've already distributed it (I have). But I think I'll leave sleeping dogs lie -- until I get a chargeback notice from the credit card company, that is.

We certainly may have had people choose not to stay with us because of the added gratuity, but because so many of our guests, especially from across the border, don't tip, it was added by the PO's. We liked it and kept the process.
We've had more than 1,200 sets of guests stay with us in the past 3 years, and none have balked or complained. The fact that we're very upfront about it at the time of booking, at check-in and at check-out means no one should be surprised.
I don't like "resort fee" or "service fee" only because it sounds like it goes into my pockets instead of my hardworking staff's pockets. I think I'll keep it as it is. I like the idea about saying I've already distributed it (I have). But I think I'll leave sleeping dogs lie -- until I get a chargeback notice from the credit card company, that is..
From Merriam Webster Dictionary - Full Definition of gratuity;plural gratuities: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service;
I would credit him back the gratuity since legally it's not binding. Be the better man and take the high road. It now sounds like it's a pissing contest.

I don't like "resort fee" or "service fee" only because it sounds like it goes into my pockets instead of my hardworking staff's pockets. I think I'll keep it as it is. I like the idea about saying I've already distributed it (I have). But I think I'll leave sleeping dogs lie -- until I get a chargeback notice from the credit card company, that is..
Sorry I wouldn't be staying with you. I tip well because I get good service not because someone requires me to. Yours is a service fee not a gratuity which is given freely. :-(

seashanty:
I would likely have read the whole thing, seen the added in gratuity policy and not stayed with you.
gillumhouse:
I would not expect a gratuity added to my bill at a B &B
Breakfast Diva:
gratuity: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service;
I would credit him back the gratuity since legally it's not binding.
EmptyNest:
Sorry I wouldn't be staying with you. I tip well because I get good service not because someone requires me to. Yours is a service fee not a gratuity which is given freely.
[h3]
thumbs_up.gif
I'm with them!
thumbs_up.gif
[/h3]

Sorry I wouldn't be staying with you. I tip well because I get good service not because someone requires me to. Yours is a service fee not a gratuity which is given freely. :-(
in the UK min wage for everyone is £7.20 which is about $9.30 tips are hoped for but frankly rare in hospitality

Back